• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Tashi, it's your birthday. Happy birthday, Tashi.
W5rQg.jpg

Time for the Halo: Reach Legendary speed run

http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda
I thought Cody knows how to play the game but he is failing at Nightfall right now. Is there any specific condition he has to finish the missions? If not, why is he fighting?

Bukkaku Bakemono Rawks the Tokyo Region

Actually no, it's something much worse, NSFW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg
Too much Primordium spoiler in this video!
It's pretty cool. I like it. Nice twist.

TheOddOne

Call of Duty is a beast. I can see why it's populair, and no it's not because it's "casual", but the barrier to entry is much easier and more satisfying.

While Reach might not be the Halo we wanted MP wise, I still think it did pretty well.

It must be great to be a Call of Duty fan when you can play any of the last three games and they all have populations higher than Reach.

Tunavi

Banned
Call of Duty is a beast. I can see why it's populair, and no it's not because it's "casual", but the barrier to entry is much easier and more satisfying.

While Reach might not be the Halo we wanted MP wise, I still think it did pretty well.
more people played MW3 in 2 months than people played Reach all year.

kylej

Banned
Unique Users is a weird thing to quantify considering the different amounts of time each game was available in 2011. CoD continues to run train though. Glorious 60fps and they give the fans what they want. Smart smart smart.

If Bungie followed Activision's logic, we'd essentially have Halo 2 at 60fps with a few minor tweaks and the ability to play whatever gametype you want when you want.

Must be nice.

What you call casual and what i call casual are very different.

To me call of duty is the most casual game iv ever seen.

Quick Kills
Easy Kills
Constant Rewards

Its aiming to please everyone, it has twitch elements but they dont mean crap when some guy can sit round and corner or in a window and wait.

I like CoD but i cant argue against how casual it is, its aimed to make every player feel like they are doing well and that screams casual to me.

I would love to have a console Halo game that runs at 60 FPS.

Im torn on the subject, 60fps halo would be great dont get me wrong but i dont see too much of a problem with 30fps. After a long 60fps stint jumping back to 30fps takes sometime and it would erase those problems but really im more concerned about actual game mechanics and nice graphics than i am with 60fps. Its a want not a need for me.

TheOddOne

I like CoD but i cant argue against how casual it is, its aimed to make every player feel like they are doing well and that screams casual to me.
You have a point, you can kind of see different shades of what is meant to be casual.

Still, what has changed really since each COD? Nothing, it just grew bigger because it's mechanics are addictive. Just because it blew up and everybody is playing it doesn't mean it's casual. When Halo was on top, did it mean Halo was "casual" too? No, it was played so much because it was so addictive and easier to step into.

You have a point, you can kind of see different shades of what is meant to be casual.

Still, what has changed really since each COD? Nothing, it just grew bigger because it's mechanics are addictive. Just because it blew up and everybody is playing it doesn't mean it's casual. When Halo was on top, did it mean Halo was "casual" too? No, it was played so much because it was so addictive and easier to step into.

Id argue CoD 4 was the change to the casual audience adding in "gimmicks" for lack of a better term such as killstreaks and the constant reward mentality.

I understand your point but its nothing but fact that alot of people playing CoD are casual gamers. I see people i would of dreamt would play a game over xbox live in a million years post status updates on facebook like "just went 10/0 in cod" its essentially the other game the sports game crowd play.

In the UK a huge number of men have gotten into CoD and Fifa and thats exclusivly all they play. I define them as casual because these people cant even wire up a console, they still get confused at what HD actually means.

Halo never in a million years would have the appeal CoD does and a large part of that is the narrative and setting, Sci-Fi is regarded in pretty low esteem by alot of the public its something "only nerds and geeks like".

Id be interested in how much of the current population only plays games like CoD, its one of the things id imagine any genre that breaks into mainstream attention has to face. Previously high regarded works are pushed aside for ones favoured by the larger and newer crowds.

Alot of this is based on what iv seen personally and i could be way off base but for me CoD attracted the casual crowd towards games (by casual i dont mean farmville crowd these fall into a different cataogory for me altogether)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The people in that thread are lost. They act like Halo being number 4 is the worst thing ever. Uhh, that's a huge improvement. lol Very happy to see that jump.

senador

Banned
LOL

Halo at 4th place is pretty damn respectable.

I haven't played that many 60fps games but when I do the movement feels far too weird and "fake". Yeah games are fake, but the movement somewhat simulates real life, but 60fps goes beyond that for me and just doesn't feel right.

TheOddOne

*snip*

Alot of this is based on what iv seen personally and i could be way off base but for me CoD attracted the casual crowd towards games (by casual i dont mean farmville crowd these fall into a different cataogory for me altogether)
Yeah, I know where you're coming from. The rise of playing one specific console game is really on the rise, multiplayer these days is more the focus of larger crowds.

Halo lore and everything story related isn't really the main problem, hell most of them never complete the COD campaign. It's more the multiplayer thats the problem, COD has made some intresting strides (I do not agree with them all, but there are some smart additions) and Halo MP with Reach has for the most part done such a 180 that it just doesn't feel like the fun Halo game people use to know.

Its not the casualness that matters. People would play Halo and it would go up if the game was more accessible and flowing. Its not though.

Stubborn MM details.
-Why cant social be drop in drop out? its social the games DON'T MATTER!
-As soon as someone quits its lopsided as fuck. As soon as more quit it can get super boring waiting around on that one douchebag who doesn't. Add bots in to replace, or keep a unmoving carbon copy of the player to add deaths to his stats to deter quitting. Then replace that person by a drop in player when available
-MM in social with guests and retarded party limits and no trueskill makes all social games lopsided as fuck anyways.

Low FPS and host hiccups are more common. A smooth running game is more fun to play.

CoD
Start game
Choose what you want to play
Play

Halo
Start game
Choose playlist
Larger MM time for a shitty matchup anyways
Choose gametype/map, none of above? wait longer
Get in game
Play. Hope noone quits because they are PROBABLY host. Why the fuck do these quitters always get host? I never quit and have FiOS, I should have host 99% of the time.

I'll go on later.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. The rise of playing one specific console game is really on the rise, multiplayer these days is more the focus of larger crowds.

Halo lore and everything story related isn't really the main problem, hell most of them never complete the COD campaign. It's more the multiplayer thats the problem, COD has made some intresting strides (I do not agree with them all, but there are some smart additions) and Halo MP with Reach has for the most part done such a 180 that it just doesn't feel like the fun Halo game people use to know.

I agree for the most part, I dont think its the changes reach made that caused people to stop playing halo. I think its just halo fell out of favour. People like to play with friends and if their freinds are on CoD then Cod is what they are on.

Reach's gameplay is fine for the most part, people hate AL and such but people hate specific weapons in CoD and yet its still played.

A heavily in your face reward system for H4 would be great but i doubt we will see something like that. The commendation system was borderline but after 2 weeks id forget they even existed im still shocked when i see one pop up. They need to be MUCH bigger.

Iv got a lot of empty screen for alot of my play time and games like Gears and CoD constantly throw things up on to my HUD and i feel like its worth me playing them because of these notifications.

Its not the casualness that matters. People would play Halo and it would go up if the game was more accessible and flowing. Its not though.

Stubborn MM details.
-Why cant social be drop in drop out? its social the games DON'T MATTER!
-As soon as someone quits its lopsided as fuck. As soon as more quit it can get super boring waiting around on that one douchebag who doesn't. Add bots in to replace, or keep a unmoving carbon copy of the player to add deaths to his stats to deter quitting. Then replace that person by a drop in player when available
-MM in social with guests and retarded party limits and no trueskill makes all social games lopsided as fuck anyways.

Low FPS and host hiccups are more common. A smooth running game is more fun to play.

CoD
Start game
Choose what you want to play
Play

Halo
Start game
Choose playlist
Larger MM time for a shitty matchup anyways
Choose gametype/map, none of above? wait longer
Get in game
Play. Hope noone quits because they are PROBABLY host. Why the fuck do these quitters always get host? I never quit and have FiOS, I should have host 99% of the time.

I'll go on later.

Some good points here, Habitual quitters should be weighed against getting host. Halo needs a Quick Match type launch aswell.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You know I used to totally be against the drop in / drop out shit but I can see now why it's important to have. I mean, I'm always gonna be playing the MLG gametypes, unless stock Halo 4 is great. But, I can see the casual players just wanting to hop in a game and play.

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a warm up match that didn't end? Like, score is unlimited. The only way the match ends is if everyone leaves at the same time. So, you just got on Halo and wanna get into some ranked but wanna warm up for the competition. You hop in the warm up playlist, join a match in progress, play for 5-10 and quit out. Someone else will take your spot right away. Would be pretty cool.

Top Bottom