• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

heckfu

Banned
Already watched earlier today Thierry Henry entering the pitch for Arsenal one more time and grab the winning goal, but thanks anyways.

Henry at Arsenal is what got me into soccer in the first place and began my love of French national football. What a glorious goal today, loudest I've ever heard an Emirates crowd.

senador

Banned
Hmm interesting. Guy certainly has a vision, a shame to see a guy leave the project because they didn't want to implement enough narrative into the project as he wanted.

Confirmed: Haloz 4 sux! :p

Not fair to say that really. Maybe he wanted Mass Effect level of narrative, or just some absolutely absurd stuff. Maybe they are going for a CE feel like everyone hopes. If that is the case, narrative will be at a minimum and exploration at a maximum, so that could be a good thing. Perhaps he just found that game making isn't what he thought. Maybe his ego was just too big, I mean he's really young and already quit? Kinda odd.

Ryan Payton leaves 343 because Halo 4 wasn't his vison, Davis leaves 343 because Halo 4's story wasn't his vision.

Hm...

Yeah but both wanted to make Halo, not "Halo". Good riddance.

I get Payton, but I don't understand Davis. He's just a kid, and loved Halo, yet wanted to change it? He's young, and left Halo 4. He sounds like a cocky dude. Meh. Good luck to him I guess.

kylej

Banned
I'm with you. I play Halo for Halo. I don't mind if side games play with the formula with things like hub worlds, etc but for me keep the main games true to Halo. Give me levels with a beginning and end. If I want to play open world games I'll play those side games or other series that are open world games.

Count me too in the crowd of why the hell are people expecting something else. Look at all the reboots turning one genre into another genre and the rage it has caused.

I too like zero evolution in my entertainment.

More grunts and brutes with hammers please.

Yeah but both wanted to make Halo, not "Halo". Good riddance.

I get Payton, but I don't understand Davis. He's just a kid, and loved Halo, yet wanted to change it? He's young, and left Halo 4. He sounds like a cocky dude. Meh. Good luck to him I guess.

Meh, I understand where he is coming from. The gamer in these cases often times wants the same game has before, but as someone that is making the game, I can see that they don't want to make the same game that's already been made. Sounds boring as shit. They want to innovate, bring new ideas to the table, both narratively and with the gameplay.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I want grunts with jetpacks.

That is all.

Edit: Okay, serious contribution. I want to see some marked changes in the Halo formula. I imagine that the new enemies, weapons, vehicles, and general aesthetics will be almost different enough in and of themselves, but I also want the gameplay to be mixed up in some way. Dunno how, but in some way.

kylej

Banned
Man, I hope we get THREE scarabs to fight at once in Halo 4.

Imagine if the scarabs had twice the giant glowing weak points to shoot, too. I think I'd nearly shit myself with excitement.

CyReN

Is it just me or is it weird seeing someone that young there? I'm 22.

It's such a weird line, people want innovation but want the "old" game back. I still got A LOT of faith in them.

Imagine if the scarabs had twice the giant glowing weak points to shoot, too. I think I'd nearly shit myself with excitement.

Your general idea is more ways to take down Scarabs. Evolve that type of encounter.

I agree, and would definitely be something to get excited for.

Someone sounds bitter.
From the guys story, sounds like he's pretty talented but just wanted to make something different. Just like Payton.

I too like zero evolution in my entertainment.

More grunts and brutes with hammers please.
Don't forget the enlisted aid of the can't shoot for shit marines.

kylej & plywood industries, getting it right since '99.

Looks like some good old Frankie saving to me.

Letting people do whatever the fuck they wanted to the game got us Reach.
Ugh, such a fallacy. X happened with Y result in this place, so X must not be allowed to be considered in this other place.
And god, Reach's gameplay mistakes were the exact types of changes that are more likely to happen in Halo 4 than any narrative/other style of gameplay changes going by news like this.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Is it just me or is it weird seeing someone that young there? I'm 22.

Not weird at all, it's very common for companies like Microsoft to hire folks right out of college for junior positions. It's a win for the universities they partner with and the companies themselves.

Yea imagine a group of 50 year old's making a game. It'd be about remembering what pills to take on what day or else your spartan will walk with a limp from backpain and arthristis and you're allowed thirthy minutes a day to sit down and read your copy of AARP newsletter.

It'd be a hoot of a game I'm sure, but I don't see it catching on with the youngens.

CyReN

Yea imagine a group of 50 year old's making a game. It'd be about remembering what pills to take on what day or else your spartan will walk with a limp from backpain and arthristis and you're allowed thirthy minutes a day to sit down and read your copy of AARP newsletter.

It'd be a hoot of a game I'm sure, but I don't see it catching on with the youngens.

I just figured they where around later 20's-late 40's in most gaming companies:(

heckfu

Banned

Knitting Simultor 3000!

feel

Ugh, such a fallacy. X happened with Y result in this place, so X must not be allowed to be considered in this other place.
And god, Reach's gameplay mistakes were the exact types of changes that are more likely to happen in Halo 4 than any narrative/other style of gameplay changes going by news like this.
Pretty sure they're not saying no to every new idea, just the terrible ones.

With Reach someone suggested Armor Lock and noone cared...

Marty O'Donnell's Pro Skater

Leisure Suit Louis (Wu)

Frankie's Quest

I'm so, so sorry.

Pretty sure they're not saying no to every new idea, just the terrible ones.
Pretty sure we've no idea what they're saying yes and no to, that you could have made the same statement about Reach around this time in late 2009/2010.

I'm not saying 343I are going to make a bad game. I'm hopeful that Halo 4 will turn out great.

Karl2177

Also if you guys are interested in how real football is played, the SEC...err...BCS title games on in 30 minutes.

I already drudged through that game once already. I don't feel like watching the same ol' shit.

Also, I can't load GAF on my computer anymore. Doesn't matter what browser. Second apps is the only way I can load it. It's frustrating to say the least.

kylej

Banned
"Eff You, Got Mine", the new game from Trickledown Entertainment.

Enjoy seeing your social security disappear in stunning 1080p visuals.

Featuring: Exclusive voice overs by Henry Kissinger, with Nolan North providing mo-cap for the wise-cracking, affable corpse of Salvador Allende!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I actually can't imagine what it would be like if Halo 4 is not as good as the other Halo games. It would probably crush me and leave me depressed for months.

I actually can't imagine what it would be like if Halo 4 is not as good as the other Halo games. It would probably crush me and leave me depressed for months.
Ah, it'll be good, it has to be. Right? So much talent, time, money working to this relaunch and revitalisation of MS first party crown jewel?
The idea of it not ending up at least "good" is a scary and honestly I'd say unlikely one.

wwm0nkey

After watching that new press conference I dont even want to touch my Xbox anymore. Considering throwing my Kinect out the window too.

Ryan Payton leaves 343 because Halo 4 wasn't his vison, Davis leaves 343 because Halo 4's story wasn't his vision.

Hm...

Its odd, but I wont read into it too much.

Both seemed to not want Halo to be Halo.

See, they both knew they were working on a Halo game so.. I dunno. I just hope it isn't that they were for pushing to new boundaries and 343 as a whole was reluctant. Like I said though, for now Ill hold off judgement.

Not weird at all, it's very common for companies like Microsoft to hire folks right out of college for junior positions. It's a win for the universities they partner with and the companies themselves.

That is actually surprising to me, but awesome at the same time.

Man, I wish I knew for certain what I am going to college for. I kinda regret changing from Paleontology, and while I did enjoy it I think it I want something more art and story related. Blah.

Top Bottom