• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: TMCC PC: no cross-play and not a Xbox Play Anywhere title (for now?) & sign up open for Halo Reach Beta

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
1552960127-1.jpg

Source

On the cross play part
Speaking during the Halo Championship Series (HCS) Invitational, 343 Industries members provided insight into ongoing work on the project. According to Halo Community Director, Brian Jarrard, cross-play remains a topic the team "wants" to make happen; but is focusing on releasing its PC versions "the right way." It indicates that while open to the concept, cross-play isn't in development for launch day.

Play Anywhere?
I think one of the questions we've gotten is will MCC PC support Xbox Play Anywhere. And first off I wanted to say, we so appreciate all the support we've had from Xbox One community with MCC, and we're obviously bringing Reach to MCC. And while MCC shipped before the XPA Play Anywhere [program], we are exploring ways to make sure we show our appreciation and recognition for the support we've had from the amazing fans on MCC. And we'll have more to announce once we get closer to launch.

For the Insider Program and the Beta for Halo Reach:
The Halo Insider Program will allow people to play early builds of each Halo game on PC, helping ensure each game in the MCC will release stable. Members of the program will be asked to report on any bugs or glitches they encounter, as well as offer forms of feedback such as suggesting new types of features or changes to the game's interface.
Insider Program

Last edited:

Codes 208

I kind of imagined play anywhere wouldn’t be available as the store of choice for, what, 98% of people will be steam.

As for cross-play, here’s hoping they add it down the line for atleast campaign and customs/forge ala halo 5’s pc customs/forge f2p mode

Arkage

Banned
Well if that's the case it better not be a simple port. Should come with all the graphical setting bells and whistles.

Not surprised about TMCC not being a play anywhere title. It isnt like this is some straight port. There is a lot more development going into it. Some people are upset but you cant have everything for free lol. You also cant buy an app on iOS and then expect to be able to download the same app for free on android for the same reason.

El Sabroso

damn, I actually wanted to not pay more to get it on Windows Store, but since is a completely separated purchase, gonna get it on steam as soon as possible, is nice that the insider is also there to test it soon, cannot wait

Graciaus

Not surprised about TMCC not being a play anywhere title. It isnt like this is some straight port. There is a lot more development going into it. Some people are upset but you cant have everything for free lol. You also cant buy an app on iOS and then expect to be able to download the same app for free on android for the same reason.
The embarrassing state the game was in for three years should make it a play anywhere title. The worst game launch of all time and it was a halo game of all things.

No cross play is lame. Game needs all the players it can get.

stickkidsam

I'm alright with it but it's still a bummer that there doesn't seem to be any kind of discount for all the current MCC users.

For PC and Reach I'll bite that "bullet" though.

93xfan

Banned
The embarrassing state the game was in for three years should make it a play anywhere title. The worst game launch of all time and it was a halo game of all things.

No cross play is lame. Game needs all the players it can get.

Keyboard and mouse vs controllers? Now THAT would be lame.

Sorne

Damnit, no cross-play? Really? I thought MS was all about that and Play Anywhere :\ That sucks. Was looking forward to playing with my PC friends.. I really hope they add it in the future.

maxwell247

Damnit, no cross-play? Really? I thought MS was all about that and Play Anywhere :\ That sucks. Was looking forward to playing with my PC friends.. I really hope they add it in the future.
Yeah, that feels bad man. I'm ready to buy the game on WIn store again since there is no PlayAnywhere, but I want tol play at least coop with my Xbox friends.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sadly this still doesn’t answer the question of gamempass. This is a Microsoft title, all MS titles are on game pass... but is this? And if so, windows store or steam as well?

As for cross play, I saw that coming. Pc players would utterly dominate the scene. I would still rather they just had an option to not allow pc players to play in your server searches, but whatever. The biggest loss here is coop... cross oh would have been good here :(

Sorne

Sadly this still doesn’t answer the question of gamempass. This is a Microsoft title, all MS titles are on game pass... but is this? And if so, windows store or steam as well?

As for cross play, I saw that coming. Pc players would utterly dominate the scene. I would still rather they just had an option to not allow pc players to play in your server searches, but whatever. The biggest loss here is coop... cross oh would have been good here :(

Yeah but that's the thing. They could have made a toggle button that said "Allow cross-play in matchmaking" or simply just restricted it to co-op/custom games.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't mind buying it again since i only paid £6 for it originally lol but they need cross play.

if you had actually watched the announcement interview you'd know it's coming to gamepass. not sure about PC but i would imagine so and it'd be on MS Store.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm kinda exited to see how the new MS Store will look like before making up my mind. If MS are trying to move Xbox over to PC in a huge way, I can see myself supporting that ecosystem.

No crossplay? After all that PR hooting and hollering last year?

Especially on the most open platform.
I think when working with legacy games like this, the task is a bit harder than that. But that's only my assumption. However, I don't think they ever said crossplay wouldn't be coming.

Found this quote from Frankie on Reddit:
I can only repeat what Phil said, which is that our intent is to make the PC game available to PC players, where and how they're playing. That doesn't mean a stripped out Linux build, but tbh we're not being cagey for the sake of it. Even Steam itself means building components to play nice with the store and its infrastructure. The same thing would be true of any new landing spot for the project.

It's not just a port - it's really a quite serious challenge to not only get the various components up and running on PC architecture at fidelity - but also properly translate some elements that were built with consoles in mind - and in a couple of cases, 4:3 SD content at the very root level of some of its original design principles.

Obviously over the years the MCC project, the Anniversary releases and B/C have pushed the games closer to what the minimum expectations for PC are - but things that weren't there originally, like aspect ratio, FOV, key mapping have very serious design implications. At the HCS finals this weekend folks were asking why we announced it "so far from launch" - and the reality is that it's such a large challenge to do it right that it would have been reasonable to think of it as a normal game announcement - which can sometimes be years out (it will be here a lot faster than that - just pointing out the normal chronology of game announcements as an example).

We've already done a great deal and the team is really excited about the potential of not just putting the games on the new platform, but doing both the games and the PC gamers justice too so that people end up hopefully with the game they've imagined or hoped for this whole time and that it feels right as a Halo game and as a PC game.

That's why the answer to "will there be cross-play" is still not cut and dry - it's certainly possible technically - so the testing and tuning will have to include questions about matchmaking, controller vs M/KB, populations (and their respective tastes), security, etc etc. The easy answer would be "yes options rite?" but again we don't want to compromise the PC version to do that. Flighting will obviously help us shake out lots of technical issues, but it will also provide tons of user play style feedback - and the fuzzy subjective stuff that emerges from how PC players use it.

If you've played the H5 Forge MP component on PC you'll also notice that the console origin of that suite means that on average, some wasd players feel that there's about one control function too many for natural setups and player movement - not an issue on controller because of the ability to use all the main triggers, bumpers, buttons and clicks. This is specific to H5 because of the increased mobility - but the original HCE - despite staring as a Mac title, was really Xbox specific and the design was crafted in tandem with the development of the OG Xbox controller. It's not just buttons, necessarily but also designer intent - so that's one of the less clear cut challenges to get right - making these games feel like they were built for PC from the getgo.

A lot of the audience will be Halo console players and fans, but there'll be folks new to the series too and we want it to show up well for them too without changing the fundamental core of each original game.

It's not rocket science, but it also kind of is a bit...

Also now I have to build a PC gaming rig. Which I haven't done in a while except at work

Last edited:
Why not have it “play anywhere” for the windows store version, but on steam you gotta dish out $.

Also, I’m sure crossplay is coming, just not day1. They added everything else we wanted so I don’t see why they wouldn’t add crossplay. And they clearly didn’t give a flat out no, which usually means yes if you look at their history with the game. They said the same thing about Reach and look where we at now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think when working with legacy games like this, the task is a bit harder than that. But that's only my assumption. However, I don't think they ever said crossplay wouldn't be coming.

Found this quote from Frankie on Reddit:

I understand, but if it is unacceptable Arrogant Sony when they quote challenges and all... well... is it arrogant MS and lazy devs there too ;)?

Answer IMHO is "no of course", but then I also believe people were under appreciating the challenges on Sony's side of the pond and overblowing the crossplay issue in general...

Last edited:

Shifty

Hot air and vagueries, Microsoft's speciality.

No cross-play on PC means there is less than zero chance I will shell out for an Xbox Live sub if that's a requirement to play online.

I'm of the mind that MS needs to keep that shit away from PC anyway, but if they do make it a requirement then the goods need to be delivered in full.

I understand, but if it is unacceptable Arrogant Sony when they quote challenges and all... well... is it arrogant MS and lazy devs there too ;)?
rNkF58H.gif

Answer IMHO is "no of course", but I believe people were under appreciating the challenges on Sony's side of the pond and overblowing the crossplay issue in general...
Show me a case of a game developer 'accidentally' flipping a switch and enabling it for a day or so on MS' platform against their will.

Sony got the shit they deserved because developers proved their claims wrong on multiple occasions.

Last edited:

Answer IMHO is "no of course", but then I also believe people were under appreciating the challenges on Sony's side of the pond and overblowing the crossplay issue in general...
I mean I agree, but at least he gave a solid reason as to why it wouldn't be there at launch. Sony on the other hand straight up said no even though they had crossplay between PC and PS4. 343/Microsoft isn't saying no, they're saying not right now, we want to launch it right.

thelastword

Banned
So MS is being anti-consumer here......Crossplay will open up a huge base from other platforms and keep the game's MP alive for years from now...….^.....

So MS is being anti-consumer here......Crossplay will open up a huge base from other platforms and keep the game's MP alive for years from now...….^.....

They didnt say no to it. Which is a VERY good sign. They just said that they will focus on a good pc version first, then depending on feedback, might add crossplay. The last time they didnt say a flat out "no" was when we asked them for Reach and a PC version, and we just got both of em.

Crossplay is coming, you can bet on it.

Codes 208

Hot air and vagueries, Microsoft's speciality.

No cross-play on PC means there is less than zero chance I will shell out for an Xbox Live sub if that's a requirement to play online.
You do realize Xbox live subs on pc are free, right? Hell, if you have a windows account at all then you basically already have an Xbox live sub.

Codes 208

Arrogant Sony at it again with their anti-crossplay stance.

Oh wait....
Not to play devil’s advocate but they’ve already clarified this is for the sake of launching the game without issues and cross-play is still an option for afterwards. They never directly outed it as an option.

Psykodad

Banned
Not to play devil’s advocate but they’ve already clarified this is for the sake of launching the game without issues and cross-play is still an option for afterwards. They never directly outed it as an option.
Let's be honest though, MS has no other option since they were bragging about crossplay for their PR.

That's MS' biggest problem: talking hot air 24/7 and then they have to backpedal or underdeliver again.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Let's be honest though, MS has no other option since they were bragging about crossplay for their PR.
Evidently they do because who the hell wants them to release the game broken again? And what’s worse is if cross-play was part of the equation that would also screw over Xbox users.

This isn’t a case of “think of the children!” As much as it’s a “we’ve learned our lesson with MCC’s disastrous launch and don’t want to repeat it.”

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Evidently they do because who the hell wants them to release the game broken again? And what’s worse is if cross-play was part of the equation that would also screw over Xbox users.

This isn’t a case of “think of the children!” As much as it’s a “we’ve learned our lesson with MCC’s disastrous launch and don’t want to repeat it.”
There is a simple solution: announce that crossplay is coming but not available at launch.

They didn’t do that.

Shifty

You do realize Xbox live subs on pc are free, right? Hell, if you have a windows account at all then you basically already have an Xbox live sub.
Which tier, though? If memory serves they added a 'free' (bronze?) one during the XBO generation that effectively says "you're in our ecosystem" but doesn't provide online.

Aren117

You also cant buy an app on iOS and then expect to be able to download the same app for free on android for the same reason.

Because they are not the same account.

But Xbox One and Windows 10 Store? They can be the same account and MS just need to check the license for the game.

If you mean Live Gold, MS games on PC don't ask for that.

Microsoft are finally doing something PC players have been wanting for years. I'm sure the PC gaming community will be mostly positive about this news and not find things to moan about anyway...

Codes 208

Which tier, though? If memory serves they added a 'free' (bronze?) one during the XBO generation that effectively says "you're in our ecosystem" but doesn't provide online.
That’s false. Free (silver) is Xbox exclusive with gold being the paid sub. On pc (more specifically win10) is identical to a gold account but is free. This isn’t a repeat of the vista days.
How can it not have a definitive answer? Crossplay is easy according to all the crossplay lovers.
That’s an apples to oranges situation. The games where it was easy were also where they were fully developed and were already interconnected, like when the war thunder devs turned on cross-play to troll Sony just to make a point.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
if you had actually watched the announcement interview you'd know it's coming to gamepass. not sure about PC but i would imagine so and it'd be on MS Store.

I did watch live. And the point is, it’s already on gamepass... for Xbox. I own the game both disc and I own game pass. So asking if it will play on pc as well is a pretty normal question. No need to the old ‘tude.

I’m hoping it’s game pass for BOTH the store and steam.

Top Bottom