• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hands-On with Dishonored 2, Gears 4, Horizon, Zelda: BotW (and more)

Dmax3901

This past Friday I attended the EB Games Expo in Sydney Australia where I got my hands/eyes on Gears of War 4, Dishonored 2, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Steep and South Park: The Fractured But Whole. For those interested, here's what I thought!

9221052_gears-of-war-4-would-have-cost-epic-games_538fc48b_m.jpg

I played the Horde mode with some randoms on Xbox One for probably around 20 minutes or so. I wasn’t a very helpful teammate as I was unable to change the look inversion. Nevertheless, it was very fun, and had a sense of immersive chaos that I was not expecting from a multiplayer mode. The sound design and gore are particularly impressive, with blood spurts, guttural battle cries, explosions and the general din of gun-battle all adding to the mayhem.

When killed, enemies drop resources that you or your teammates can collect and spend on defenses between rounds. These include decoys, spiked traps and even mounted turrets. I didn’t spend a lot of time with these because I was too busy trying to aim properly and not die, but it seems pretty cool and simple enough to utilise.

The enemy variety I saw across the span of probably 5 or 6 waves was impressive. There were standard ‘swarm’ grunts, with bigger, slower dudes that took a lot of hits and had big guns. These dog-like things that jumped up on cover and spat some kind of projectile. There were robot enemies too which, in my limited experience of the Gears of War franchise, I had not seen before. They self-destruct upon death but otherwise don’t seem too special. There were little sphere robots that would quickly roll up to your defenses and damage them until destroyed, they’re fast and easy to miss. Finally, there was a big chopper (maybe called a hornet?) that flew in behind our chokepoint, making our cover useless. It took a lot of hits to take down although it was hard to tell how many of us were still alive/actually shooting it at that point.

After a while my team and I were told to shove off, but I made sure to try out the single player as well. This time with a controller on a PC. I changed the look inversion (phew) and actually jacked up the resolution to 1440p just to test the PCs they had set up. The game looks incredible and ran flawlessly. Obviously I have no idea what the PC specs were but yeah, very nice looking game. The demo I played starts with them spotting a dam in the distance, and ends with them getting to some sort of tower. Very brief and no doubt old news to people following the game. The combat feels like classic Gears of War, but the ‘wind flares’ as they’re called add quite a bit to an encounter. When throwing grenades or shooting the buzzsaw gun you’ll have to compensate for wind direction and strength. Suddenly all those reliable waist-high walls can blow or roll away or be shot to pieces. At one point a huge pipe rolled down the hill crushing a few swarm and narrowly avoiding Fenix Jr. The physics and effects playing out in these scenes looks amazing, and it certainly shakes up the standard cover-based shooter combat. After a few more encounters a weird laser-lightning storm hits and you have to dodge it and cross the battlefield, almost like a bullet-hell game. The demo ended shortly afterwards.

fa2a99fd7714764e5e597c0480a9332e_XL.jpg

I’ve deliberately been avoiding a lot of media for this game so I can go in as fresh as possible, but I couldn’t help but have a go. I played for around 30 mins on Xbox One I think. It was an X1 controller but the system was hidden away, based on the aliasing however I don’t think it was PC. The demo I played has recently been shown off in the Clockwork Mansion gameplay trailer. The mansion itself is really cool, you can pull levers to completely change the layout of a room. It’s confusing in a good way, making what would otherwise be a standard mansion level quite complex.

Then there’s the clockwork soldiers, whose voice acting and dialogue is quite enjoyable. The delivery is spot on, with one example being “enemy evasion… successful” said with a tone of mild surprise and maybe even a hint of admiration. At first I tried avoiding them because it wasn’t immediately clear to me how the hell you take them out. Later a Bethesda guy told me you can shoot them in the head which removes their ability to see, they will then remain completely still and rely on their hearing. It will move towards and kill anything that makes a sound, including enemy guards (of the human variety). There’s also white sections of their arms that you can target to remove its limbs. I’m fairly sure they have some sort of EMP pulse attack at their disposal too.

One cool thing they mentioned was that every single clockwork soldier in the game will have a unique plaque that you can get by stealth killing them, or, if you’re going for a ghost run, you can pickpocket it off them. If you get every single one there’s some sort of reward although no idea what that may be.

As for the demo mission itself you’re tasked with killing Jindosh, the inventor of the robots, and rescuing Anton Sokolov. I’m not quite sure if it was a bug or if perhaps a clockwork soldier went on a rampage, but I got an ‘objective complete’ for killing Jindosh without being anywhere near him. I found Sokolov and then made a mad dash for the exit, sensing my time was running short. On the way I managed to cut a guy in half, then noticed that I was able to carry his severed legs around. I threw them, then used Emily’s equivalent of blink to pull the legs toward me, they flew through the air and landed in a chair with a wet thud.

I can’t overstate how cool the level design was here and the vistas of the city below bathed in the orange glow of sunset were gorgeous. Emily’s new tools and powers feel fresh, and seem designed to enable even more freedom than the first game. I can’t wait to play this.

zeldaheader2.jpg

I had fun with the game but I'd watched so much footage of the starting area that it kinda felt like I'd already played it. That said the combat feels great and the inventory is reasonably intuitive. The whole hold a dpad direction then scroll through with the sticks is definitely unusual though. It’s not frustrating to use but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was designed with the NX in mind as some people have theorised. After all, why not just have an item wheel like Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess?

Visually it’s a mix of good and not so good looking. I probably don’t need to explain this but the art style allows characters, monsters and structures to look great but on the whole… Well it’s definitely a Wii U game. The frame rate got a bit spotty at times, it was particularly bad around the Steppe Talus rock dude.

A lot of impressions from E3 talked about how easy it is to get distracted in this world and I can now wholeheartedly agree. Seeing a chest or a bombable wall or an encampment of enemies, it all drew me in immediately, and not in a Ubisoft ‘tick a box’ kind of way. It felt far more organic: I’m wandering through this world, I see something interesting so I go and investigate. It’s more than just following a map marker.

I spent a solid portion of the demo at the edge of the plateau, using the slate to zoom into the distance to see what I could see. And I did see a few things I hadn't seen in any other footage. One was a weird hut thing to the north west of the plateau, its roof was like a giant Dragon head thing made out of cloth and wood. Looked far more like someone’s home than just another monster lair but I could be wrong. I also had a good look at the thing climbing death mountain. It is NOT a Goron. It looks more like one of the guardians but huge and elongated. It had some weird windmill looking tail as well. Similarly, the flying platform was way more T-shaped than I realised, and I'm almost certain it has propeller things parallel with the ground, like a hovercraft.

Like watching your friend play a game for hours and hours then finally getting a turn yourself, my time on the plateau wasn’t anything groundbreaking. It was more of a confirmation. Yes this is an open-world Zelda game, yes it’s as fun as it looks, and yes I need to know more asap. At this point I think a trailer showcasing towns or more of the story would turn me into a blubbering mess. Can’t wait.

horizen0021-440x247.jpg

This started with a story trailer I hadn’t seen before with some human enemies in masks. Then the guy played through the E3 demo. I then got around 15 minutes with the game. It was basically the small area from the E3 demo from the edge of Aloy’s village to just before the scene where she fights the ‘demon’. I ran around, picked up plants, took over a Broadhead and made it my mount, shot arrows from its back, killed some of the raptor-looking things, shot canisters off the backs of grazers and killed one of the tough crab machines with big loot crates on their backs. To give a very general sense of how it played: think Rise of the Tomb Raider crossed with the freedom and more open areas of The Witcher. I’ve had a sneaking suspicion for a while now that this games open world will be far more like the former than the latter, but this demo was too small to come to any conclusions. One thing’s for sure, it looks phenomenal. I asked what I was playing on and they said a PS4 dev kit, whatever that is, but the game is gorgeous and ran quite well too. I’m not sold on the story elements that we’ve seen so far, but the game has plenty of time to win me over on that front.

ghostreconwildlands720-480x270.jpg

This was just a brief eyes-on presentation not an actual playable demo. It started with a night-time mission with commentary, thankfully without the fake voice acting from the E3 demo. The graphics seem great and, dare I say it, achievable. We’ve been burned by Ubisoft on more than one occasion, but from what I saw it doesn’t seem to be reaching for anything unattainable. Who knows when it comes to performance and bugs however.

The demo saw Ghosts one through four sneaking their way through an enemy camp to find intel on an enemy targets location (the guy they go after in the E3 demo). Two Ghosts commandeer an enemy vehicle which allows them to drive straight into the enemy camp without being detected. Meanwhile a third Ghost sniped lone guards and shot out lights for his teammates. Eventually they get the intel but get spotted and have to make a hasty escape. One of them turns off the generator and they switch to night vision and shoot their way out, eventually driving away in a buggy with a chopper on their tail. Was cool but also hard to imagine it going that smoothly with a bunch of online randoms. I was getting both MGS V and The Division vibes from what I saw, make of that what you will.

Steep-1280x720-480x270.png

I honestly don’t know why they’re demoing this. Rough as hell in every way possible; it looked, ran and played like crap. I don’t personally see the point of a game like this and I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes the way of The Crew. It feels like it’s trying to blend two different types of game and not doing a good job of either. One positive is that I laughed a lot at the physics when I stacked it, flight suiting into tree branches, skiing down sheers rock faces etc.

header.jpg

Another very brief demo, was probably done in under ten minutes. It seems the kids have this time decided to play superheroes instead of fantasy, and I got the impression you’re the same ‘new kid’ as the first game. Obsidian’s absence has me a little concerned but rest assured the game is still funny. Your personal hero’s origin story involves fighting off home invaders shortly before walking in on your parents having sex (or in the words of Cartman “Your dad… fucking your mom…”). A nice touch was one of the burglars checking their phone while waiting for you to choose your attack. There was only one other combat encounter and it was again too brief to really get to grips with the subtleties of how it will all work, but the game is definitely fun and funny.

So there we have it. I had a lot of fun at the expo and I'm now excited for quite a number of games that I was lukewarm on before. I was really keen to try out PSVR, specifically RE:VII and the Arkham thing, but the lines for those were ridiculous at all times.

mp1990

Banned
Man, I've yet to hear a single positive opinion of Steep. I'm sorta curious to see how big of a mess it'll be.

Zukkoyaki

Steep should have been much more arcadey. Serious missed opportunity by Ubisoft not to essentially make SSX with plenty of community and online features.

And thank you very much for the impressions! Looks like we have a lot to look forward toward ^_^

zeromcd73

Just gonna hijack this thread and post my opinions since I also went (Friday night only). All these were played by me (or Ubi guy) on PS4, with Dishonored being on PC.

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Nothing more to say than what the OP already hasn't. Demo was confined to a very, very tight space we've already seen before in trailers. While riding the mount and looking far into the distance, you definitely see that the trees and whatnot aren't perfect. I tried my hardest to look for blemishes and found them, but it is a fantastic looking game. About an hour wait to get in to play this. Big line, lots of demo units.

Final Fantasy XV
I'm fairly sure the demo on display was a fairly old build. That one in the desert area with the shrub bush that looked like it was from a PS1 game screenshot that circulated gaf for a bit, that build! Game was incredibly blurry with jaggies assaulting my eyes, and the fauna was also incredibly low poly. These problems though should hopefully be fixed. Combat seemed better, but hard to tell since my controller seemed to be screwed with my character running off in weird directions without my input, and the massive input lag. Line for this was pretty decent. 12 demo units for this so there were lots.

Kingdom Hearts 2.8
It's Kingdom Hearts. Frame rate felt weird though, like whenever I would hit an enemy it would dip slightly every time which made playing feel kind of annoying. Line for this was pretty long since the demo was more about finishing a section, rather than being limited by a time limit. The three demo stations for Tomb Raider next to it had all been changed to KH2.8 lol

World of Final Fantasy
Game was cute. One thing that greatly bothered me was when neither you or the enemy are attacking you just stare at a sideview image of the battle with nothing changing until someone initiates an attack. Made it seem absolutely boring. Needs to pan over the characters and change angles of the fight like FFX or Pokemon XY to make it more exciting. Absolutely no interest from the public for this game. Only 1 demo unit. Saw at most two people line up for this, with there even being 20 minutes of nobody touching it.

Watch Dogs 2
Never played or was interesting in the first game. This was also not playable but we saw a playtester and an art director from Ubisoft demo stuff that has never been publicly shown before. Game looked absolutely astounding and a tonne of fun. Super excited for this. Fairly long lines that kept constantly filling up the see these presentations.

Dishonored 2
Never played the first one and only lined up for it since I had 30mins to kill. Absolutely loved it and the game looked and played great. On my radar now. Lines for this were really long all night.

Edit:

Paper Mario
Oh yeah, this game. I was in a battle and kept trying to play the game, but nothing worked, no matter how many buttons I pushed. I eventually realized the only way to fight (before Mario hits an enemy) is to use the gamepad. I immediately left. Had 3 demo units. Nowhere near as little interest as WoFF, but majority of people didn't seem to care for this with maybe 1 or 2 people lining up from what I saw.

SomTervo

Thanks so much for all the impressions. All sounding great. Surprisingly, Horizons (Steep notwithstanding) sounds like the most disappointing.

Also, a huge pity you couldn't play Wildlands yet. It looks fucking great IMO.

Edit: Also thank you zeromcd73

These Horizon impressions aren't very detailed. How was the AI? How intuitive were the controls and menu? Was the combat fun and easy to pick up? How was the frame rate? And OP, your "sneaking suspicion" has been shot down by the devs already.

zeromcd73

These Horizon impressions aren't very detailed. How was the AI? How intuitive were the controls and menu? Was the combat fun and easy to pick up? How was the frame rate?
I mean they just didn't give you very much to play with. Frame rate was solid and personally noticed no drops. Combat was fun with melee mapped to R1 and special melee attacks mapped to R2. Gameplay was a lot of fun but fairly simply since you only really had 3 enemies you could hit consisting of little weak lizard thing, buffalo thing you can ride, and the more challenging shield crab things. Nothing to really test your skills or the combat system on like the bigger looking enemies in the other trailers.

I believe the only menu that was available to us was the weapon wheel thing that has already been revealed. Also don't know if this is new information or everything just assumed so, but you can swim in the game and even dive down under water and swim around.

Thanks so much for all the impressions. All sounding great. Surprisingly, Horizons (Steep notwithstanding) sounds like the most disappointing.

Also, a huge pity you couldn't play Wildlands yet. It looks fucking great IMO.

Edit: Also thank you zeromcd73

Hmm, Ghost Recon Wildlands looks pretty mediocre imo.

I mean they just didn't give you very much to play with. Frame rate was solid and personally noticed no drops. Combat was fun with melee mapped to R1 and special melee attacks mapped to R2. Gameplay was a lot of fun but fairly simply since you only really had 3 enemies you could hit consisting of little weak lizard thing, buffalo thing you can ride, and the more challenging shield crab things. Nothing to really test your skills or the combat system on like the bigger looking enemies in the other trailers.

I believe the only menu that was available to us was the weapon wheel thing that has already been revealed. Also don't know if this is new information or everything just assumed so, but you can swim in the game and even dive down under water and swim around.

Granted, but I wanted some specifics. : p

Thanks for filling in some of the details! Really nice to hear about the solid frame rate.

SomTervo

Hmm, Ghost Recon Wildlands looks pretty mediocre imo.

Did you watch the full 20-minute footage on a stream the other night? Check it out, the gameplay starts at 1hr 10 IIRC.

I didn't find the game interesting at all until I watched that. It showcases a proper night-time, no-detection stealth approach where the four players are grabbing guys, sniping guys, creating distractions, etc. One guy snipes, one plants distraction bombs, one flies a drone, one goes in and secures the target. All creeping around the base SOCOM-style, avoiding guys, popping guys, grabbing guys, tagging guys. They hijack a transport van and use it as a disguise, driving it without detection into the base. After grabbing the target (not killing him) they free a bunch of rebel prisoners who cause a huge gunfight in the town (MGS4 style). They then get the target into a van, pick up the other members of the team, and peg it, with a proper 'we just pulled off a fucking unscripted heist' vibe.

It looked like the developers took all the control and combat of early the Ghost Recons and SOCOM (animation jank and all) and transplanted it into MGSV's open world, along with a load of things MGSV should have included but didn't (NPC rebels who get into battles, 4-player co-op, flyable vehicles).

Fair enough if it doesn't look like your bag.

FelipeMGM

Yeah, I also played Steep a month ago and it was rough as fuck. It was buggy, laggy and controls were not very responsive. Not a good showing at all

rhandino

Banned
"I wouldn’t be surprised if it goes the way of The Crew."

A commercial success? What does this even mean? 😕

Yeah, I also played Steep a month ago and it was rough as fuck. It was buggy, laggy and controls were not very responsive. Not a good showing at all

Yikes. Kind of surprising considering Ubi typically put a lot of effort into new franchises. That being said, they've done at least a couple of sports games in the past, and they were both shite (Shawn White games).

A commercial success? What does this even mean? ��

Yeah, I guffawed a little at this comment too. Didn't The Crew sell over 2 million copies and outsell both Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2?

killroy87

I'm buying Steep, because I personally want the extreme sports genre back. But fuck, it's sounding rough as hell and that blows.

Sparse

Did you watch the full 20-minute footage on a stream the other night? Check it out, the gameplay starts at 1hr 10 IIRC.

I didn't find the game interesting at all until I watched that. It showcases a proper night-time, no-detection stealth approach where the four players are grabbing guys, sniping guys, creating distractions, etc. One guy snipes, one plants distraction bombs, one flies a drone, one goes in and secures the target. All creeping around the base SOCOM-style, avoiding guys, popping guys, grabbing guys, tagging guys. They hijack a transport van and use it as a disguise, driving it without detection into the base. After grabbing the target (not killing him) they free a bunch of rebel prisoners who cause a huge gunfight in the town (MGS4 style). They then get the target into a van, pick up the other members of the team, and peg it, with a proper 'we just pulled off a fucking unscripted heist' vibe.

It looked like the developers took all the control and combat of early the Ghost Recons and SOCOM (animation jank and all) and transplanted it into MGSV's open world, along with a load of things MGSV should have included but didn't (NPC rebels who get into battles, 4-player co-op, flyable vehicles).

Aww yiss. Sounds right up my street. As the poster above said, do you have a link?

SomTervo

Do you have a link to that?

Aww yiss. Sounds right up my street. As the poster above said, do you have a link?

Sure, the thread was this one

And the link direct is here

Just be sure to skip to 1:10:00

Looks so good

Edit: Been mulling on it, and I think when I mentioned SOCOM in my last post it really hit home how SOCOM-ey this looks. Like it's more of a military operations sim like SOCOM than a sniper sim like Ghost Recon 1/2. Right down to the way people move and the crosshairs.

It might look cool in a press demo with all those stages and variety, but so did The Division.

Dmax3901

These Horizon impressions aren't very detailed. How was the AI? How intuitive were the controls and menu? Was the combat fun and easy to pick up? How was the frame rate? And OP, your "sneaking suspicion" has been shot down by the devs already.

The controls were very intuitive. I got a bit lazy in my description by just saying imagine Tomb Raider, but it is quite similar. There were a lot of button prompts too, when approaching a lootable item, or for stealth strikes, or to take over a mount etc.

Pretty sure there was no menu to access but the weapon wheel was about what you'd expect. The combat was definitely easy to pick up but there wasn't anything too complex on offer in this tiny demo. I shot one of the raptor looking things in its eye and it went down in one shot.

I mean sure the devs may have said that but I've yet to see anything concrete that shows off how big this world is. I'm not trying to be negative, just wary.

A commercial success? What does this even mean? 😕

Yeah, I guffawed a little at this comment too. Didn't The Crew sell over 2 million copies and outsell both Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2?

There you go, I had no idea it was a commercial success, as blakep said I had assumed it bombed cause there doesn't appear to be an active community, and the reviews were pretty average too. That said, I think even if they iron out the kinks, Steep seems like the game that'll end up with a loyal fanbase, but middling reviews.

Dmax3901

Thanks for the BotW impressions! The not-Goron sounds absolutely intruiging; when GameXplain revealed that thing my jaw was dropping... Same goes for the flying city or whatnot.

Such a compelling game. Man.

Yeah I'd seen it in a bunch of different clips but it always appeared to be an upright bipedal creature of some kind. It must be god damn massive as well.

Speculating about what it's significance to the plot will be is very exciting.

Top Bottom