• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 10th birthday to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption!

It's hard to believe that we have not gotten what is generally viewed as a good to great Metroid game in 10 years. I know GAF prefers Echoes, and that's fine as it's a fantastic game. I do think, however, that Corruption did do a lot right and features some of the series best moments and features. Allow me to glow a bit some on the things I loved about this game.

Art Direction
This is one of the most beautiful games ever made from an artistic standpoint, in particular the environments. Long gone are anything resembling generic videogame tropes (ice, fire, forest, desert, etc), and in their place are fantastically realized environments. I love the scorched lands of Bryyo with it's strange ultraradiated mushrooms and massive statue work of Bryyonians past. And from there you go to the serene floating city on Elysia. The swirls of color in the clouds serve as a backdrop to the insanely detailed pods and spires, each of which is individually designed with creative geometry and color. The best comes at the end of the game on Phaaze. This level just looks bizarre but beautiful at the same time, and really embodies the essence of the original Metroid's goal of making the environments feel like living, breathing things.

Controls
This was the game changer here. While the Prime Trilogy has these same fantastic controls available for Prime and Echoes, those games were not designed around them. Here, the enemies and puzzles are designed in ways that compliment the controls. For example, there is a group of enemies that hide behind shields, and one by one they lower them to attack you randomly. Quick reflexes and precise pointer controls allow you to easily dispatch of them. Most of the enemies were designed in a way that took advantage of the pointer controls. There were a lot of fun and unique ways the controls were implemented to make a more engaging experience. I loved the little door lock puzzles where you had to twist the wiimote to line up the lock releases. And of course giving a little flick to jump in morph ball mode was a welcome addition. I have a hard time playing FPS games without these controls now!

Contextual Storytelling
This game was the culmination of what the series did with environmental storytelling. Yes, there was some exposition here and there, and I know that bugged some people, but there were a lot of cool story moments shown through the gameplay. Seeing the Hunters do battle with Space Pirates above you while you traverse through a morphball tunnel. Ridley flying overhead during the battle as you make your way to the generator and the Federation Marine shouting "What the heck was that!." Receiving the notification that your ship is taking damage... And while you are making your way back you receive updates on the damage... And then finally you see Ghor through the window beating the hell out of it... You then proceed to make the long walk down the hallway as you prepare for battle. Entering the Metroid quarantine room, all encased in their holding cells... You walk by dozens and dozens of them just thinking, "This can't be good..." And sure enough, power out, queue creepy music, glass breaks. Great stuff, and there are more moments like that as well.

Contextual Missions
This is something I appreciated. Each of the three main areas had the same end goal: Destroy the phazon seed spreading corruption on each planet, similar to Echoes, where the goal was to restore the energy to each area. With Echoes though, it was the same each time- Collect three keys to reach it. With Corruption, there were multiple unique macro and micro objectives to keep things interesting... Whether it was finding parts to assemble a bomb, upgrading your ship to destroy turrets preventing you from your goal, or making your way through a Pirate Infested cargo supply route to reach the shield generator, having these varying objectives made progression through the game very satisfying.

Boss Battles
While I feel Echoes was most consistent in this regard, Corruption has my favorite individual boss battles. Rundas and Gandrayda are my two favorites in the series, and Ghor and Meta Ridley (at the beginning) aren't far behind. The fights with the hunters are all absolutely fantastic, and a big improvement over the Dark Samus fights in Echoes (which I am comparing here due to the scale of the foe). And what I love about these fights is that they are pure arcadey action more in line with the 2D Metroid games, and less Zelda style puzzley bosses that the Prime series often features. I feel Corruption balanced both styles of bosses very well. Oh, and those Rudas and Gandrayda themes are just sooooooooo good!

All in all I feel it's a fantastic game and a worthy conclusion to my favorite trilogy of all time. I absolutely cannot wait for Prime 4, and I hope they can do the series justice following Retro's incredible work. Again, it's hard to believe this game is ten years old, but hopefully we'll be playing the next great Metroid game in just a few weeks. Happy Birthday Metroid Prime 3!

Very good OP. I love the game even though it's not as replayable as the first one. The Space Pirates' planet was my favorite location, such a strange atmosphere.

Fantastic 9.5/10 game for me. Works as a worthy end to the trilogy with the smoothest controls (even compared to the MPT versions of Prime 1/2), some of the the best boss fights in the series, and stunning environments. The GF/handholding stuff mostly lets up after Norion to let the player do their thing. The observatory room that reveals item locations is a fantastic addition that I wish would have come earlier in the series. The final final boss fight could be a bit more exciting, but it's fine. Retro da bess

hughesta

Banned
Fantastic and underrated game. Not the best in the trilogy but still incredible, full of beautiful worlds and great puzzles. My one problem with this game has always been that its soundtrack is far weaker than the others in the Trilogy, although it still has some standouts.

Good god, no. Metroid prime without motion controls is unplayable for me now.

Prime (4) being dual stick controls going forward is basically my worst case scenario for them to announce.
I don't see why Nintendo can't give us multiple control schemes.

Gamecube tank controls 4ever

RedShift

Would love to get a switch trilogy with modern dual stick controls.

It would be difficult. For lots of parts in the Metroid Prime games you need to be able to hit jump while aiming, which isn't really possible with normal dual stick aiming on the switch controller.

I just played through the first game using a Steam controller on Dolphin, found out pretty quick it wouldn't work without setting one of the grip paddles to jump.

Would love a new edition of the game with BoTW/Splatoon type of controls! Would be godly! I think the chances of another Trilogy rerelease to be decently high. Hopefully they decide to do it!

Jojo Leir

Neo Member
Fantastic game with some exhilarating boss fights, especially on the highest difficulty. Needed more G.F.S. Valhalla and less voiced NPCs though.

It would be difficult. For lots of parts in the Metroid Prime games you need to be able to hit jump while aiming, which isn't really possible with normal dual stick aiming on the switch controller.

I just played through the first game using a Steam controller on Dolphin, found out pretty quick it wouldn't work without setting one of the grip paddles to jump.
Well, nothing is stopping them from making Jump L or R. The GameCube only had one purple Z button, so they have an extra shoulder button from the original.

tesqui

Never beat this game. I think I remember getting pretty far, but then got lost or something? Been meaning to playthrough this and Metroid Prime 2. It'd be cool if they brought the trilogy to Switch, but i somehow doubt that will happen.

simonshinra

Neo Member
I'm playing it now for the first time (original version, non trilogy), I'm exploring Bryyo. Don't know if I like all these npcs and voiced dialogues, but I'm really digging the controls.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
For me Prime1 is the best with Corruption coming in as close second.

Graphically Echoes is still the best looking one. I thought that title would fall on Corruption because the Wii is more powerful than the GCN. After I thought about it I concluded it might be because of the hyper mode that needs to be usable in all environments later on in Corruption.

Great game though, as long as you don't hate motion controls.

Ged

Hated prime 3. Sits at the bottom of the heap with Echoes and Zero Mission for me.
image.php

joking
Great game, though.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Didn't care for the npc's you regularly interact with. I really disliked the crazy gun cannon you used HP for in most boss fights. Didn't recall many of the zones feeling all that unique outside of one in particular(the cloud city-like place). Oh and all the mother brain teasing in the marketing and pre-launch buildup led to practically nothing.

Motion control was great though, loved that trilogy added it in as well. It was more Prime, but it's the only game I've never been compelled to replay since it launched.

Palmer27

I think the only things that let's the finale down is the step down in difficulty and bleakness from Prime 2. Otherwise it's a masterpiece imo

RAIDEN1

The game though was never BIG as a Halo though....you wouldn't see massive billboard posters of it....or books on it, or animated shorts when you have a universe as potentially "rich" as Metroid had...it has so much untapped wealth in it, in terms of hell Nintendo could release a feature length CGI film on Metroid....

Aaaah, I loved Metroid Prime 3: Better Than Echoes.

The controls were awesome, and it doesn't need the stupid scans for completing it.

VDenter

Banned
Not the best game in the trilogy but it was still really enjoyable and it was as of now the last great Metroid game.

Depending on when you ask this is usually my favorite Metroid game for a lot of the reasons you mentioned in the OP. The variety in the environments is fantastic. Going from the more traditional areas in the original Prime (fire level, ice level, etc.) and Prime 2's more consistent but ultimately a bit more drab world (aside from a couple standouts) to things like Skytown was a huge jump forward. The multi-planet approach really let the world design go wild.

Yarbskoo

It may be the weakest of the trilogy, but it's still an amazing game.

4 being as good as Corruption would be good enough for me.

Toxi

Banned
An amazing game and one of my favorites on the Wii. Probably my least favorite of the trilogy, but that's hardly an insult.

My favorite puzzle in this game is the ship grapple puzzle where you have to bring the giant battery from Bryyo Thorny Jungle to a station in Bryyo Cliffside. It's such a wonderful eureka moment when you're wondering how to get the battery there when you can't enter the ship, lift the battery... And find a shortcut straight from Thorny Jungle to Cliffside.

The Ridley battle down the shaft is wonderfully intense on Hyper Mode. Unfortunately, some other boss fights (Especially Gandrayda and Mogenar) become horrible grind fests on Hyper Mode that just take forever to kill. The final boss is one of them, but luckily is pretty fun.

Overall, I'd rank the bosses as weaker than Echoes', but better than Prime's.

Scrawnton

Ten years already? I bought this game my first week of college. It's crazy how time flies and where I'm out now compared to then.

I watched LPs of the whole prime trilogy this year, and even though I actually finished Prime 3 in 2007 I barely remembered any of it. I remembered the start very clearly, and I remembered a few things like Sky Town ziplines, acquiring the Nova beam and fighting Gandrayda but that was about it.

It does make me curious for how they'll do Prime 4 though. I assume they'll revert to a Prime1/2 beam switching mechanic now that they're not on the very cramped controls of the Wii. But I'm also reasonably sure they'll aim for dual-analogue controls.

*10 years*?

I never played it even though people say the notion controls are great for it. I bought the trilogy on the WiiU so i'll get around to it one day

Shifty

Despite the shift to a more narrative-driven structure, I had fun with it. The introduction of pointer aiming was great too.

Though that said, I tried playing it on my Rift with Dolphin VR today and had a horrendous time. I'd love a VR Prime-like with proper roomscale motion control, Lone Echo's scanning gave me nostalgia for Nintendo's version of the mechanic.

Top Bottom