• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 10th birthday to Metroid Prime 3: Corruption!

I really liked the integration of Samus's ship into the gameplay, hopefully some of that makes it into Prime 4. Also, the changes to the key hunt were good.

Great, great game.

It would be difficult. For lots of parts in the Metroid Prime games you need to be able to hit jump while aiming, which isn't really possible with normal dual stick aiming on the switch controller.

I just played through the first game using a Steam controller on Dolphin, found out pretty quick it wouldn't work without setting one of the grip paddles to jump.

Huh? The first Metroid Prime was a Gamecube game. Its controls could certainly be replicated and even improved on a Switch.

Huh? The first Metroid Prime was a Gamecube game. Its controls could certainly be replicated and even improved on a Switch.

And it didn't have dual stick controls.

If they go back to the shitty GameCube controls (reminder that you had to literally choose between movement and freeaim on the GameCube) I'll be very disappointed.

Motion controls or bust.

VDenter

Banned
And it didn't have dual stick controls.

If they go back to the shitty GameCube controls (reminder that you had to literally choose between movement and freeaim on the GameCube) I'll be very disappointed.

Motion controls or bust.

What? There was nothing wrong with the controls on the GameCube. Its like the people who complain about the tank controls in RE. If the game is not designed around free aim or dual analog you wont ever need it. The Wii controls while pretty good did not improve Prime or Prime 2 at all.

What? There was nothing wrong with the controls on the GameCube. Its like the people who complain about the tank controls in RE. If the game is not designed around free aim or dual analog you wont ever need it. The Wii controls while pretty good did not improve Prime or Prime 2 at all.

No. You are categorically wrong. Having to stop and stand still to look around is the worst damned part of metroid prime 1 and 2 and the ability to move and look at the same time improved both games tenfold.

The combat was designed so that you wouldn't need to manually aim. It did nothing for the rest of the game.

I can't believe you're legitimately arguing that having control over where you look is a negative.

Toxi

Banned
Metroid Prime 2 has two bosses (Emperor Ing first form and the final Dark Samus battle) where the Trilogy controls are a godsend. You have to look up in both battles.

On the other hand, Spider Guardian becomes a complete joke with the Spring Ball. I wouldn't mind if future rereleases disabled the Spring Ball for that battle. And several bosses (Like Hive Mecha) become annoying if you don't turn off free-aim while locking on.

This is the game that really got me into Metroid when I picked it up in 2007. Still one of my favorites, even if I think the first Prime is objectively better.

Mael

10 years since the last Metroid game is a longass time!
Absolutely loved the game back then and still do now.
Normal mode is kind of a joke though, my next run in Hard/Extreme is gonna be brutal though..

13ruce

Banned
Congratulations my favorite Prime game.
That valhalla and metroid escape part were pretty cool and scary.

And i love how you saw how bad the corruption affected Samus her appearance through the freaking visor as you got further in the game.

Played this game to death with friends.

VDenter

Banned
No. You are categorically wrong. Having to stop and stand still to look around is the worst damned part of metroid prime 1 and 2 and the ability to move and look at the same time improved both games tenfold.

The combat was designed so that you wouldn't need to manually aim. It did nothing for the rest of the game.

I can't believe you're legitimately arguing that having control over where you look is a negative.

How am i wrong categorically if the first two games were never designed around motion controls in any way whatsoewer?

Having control where to look is not a negative. But it did not make Prime 1 or Prime 2 any better or worse. Prime 3 is a different story it was designed around motion controls so it makes sense that they would be an improvement. Nobody complained about the controls before the Trilogy was released because they were never bad in the first place. Nothing in the first two games requires that you look around in such a way that it could not be done with a simple lock on. Nor do the games have any motion controlled gimmicks so it really makes no difference whatsoever which one you play because aside the controller you are holding the experience will be the same. Holding R to look around was never really required and i have no idea how that was ever a problem for anybody.

How am i wrong categorically if the first two games were never designed around motion controls in any way whatsoewer?

Having control where to look is not a negative. But it did not make Prime 1 or Prime 2 any better or worse. Prime 3 is a different story it was designed around motion controls so it makes sense that they would be an improvement. Nobody complained about the controls before the Trilogy was released because they were never bad in the first place. Nothing in the first two games requires that you look around in such a way that it could not be done with a simple lock on. Nor do the games have any motion controlled gimmicks so it really makes no difference whatsoever which one you play because aside the controller you are holding the experience will be the same. Holding R to look around was never really required and i have no idea how that was ever a problem for anybody.
It absolutely made Prime 1 and 2 better.

Going back and trying to play the GC versions now is pitiful. It's like you have this great game, but then tie one arm behind its back.

Prime 1 and 2 were great games despite their flaws.

Fixing the controls removed those flaws.

Going back to that janky-assed control scheme would be a mistake.

Dual-analog or pointer/gyro control or both combined.
Controls have evolved, it's ok to move on.

Even though it's my least favourite of the Prime trilogy, I still love it loads.

The motion controls were very well implemented on the whole, the art design remained impeccable and the joy of exploring was still largely retained along with the unique Prime atmosphere.

My main issues were the shitty Hunters, the ugly human characters and some of the bosses requiring a bit too much precision which made them a pain in the ass (Mogenar grrr). Perhaps they streamlined exploration a bit in favour of more derivative action gameplay but the combat was fun.

Kyzon

Great game. Dark Samus was a really fun antagonist, and I loved watching Samus get corrupted as you went along.

KSikO.jpg

I'm hoping Prime 4 still has Dark Samus in somehow since she's the Metroid Prime

Great game. Dark Samus was a really fun antagonist, and I loved watching Samus get corrupted as you went along.

KSikO.jpg

I'm hoping Prime 4 still has Dark Samus in somehow since she's the Metroid Prime

She dead. And characters you kill in videogames never come back for sequels.

KSikO.jpg

Well, We've killed her three times so far... Why not 4?

The weakest of the 3, but an amazing game. I was blown away by the controls and couldn't believe we got the trilogy some time later. Can't believe it's been 10 years and we are now finally getting a proper Metroid game again. Can't wait for Samus returns, and I REALLY can't wait for Prime 4.

D.Lo

Great game.

Remember the pre-release channel?

And the trailers that had the history of the Aurora units... And how Mother Brain was hinted to be a perversion of one...

The best control scheme for any console shooter, bar none. None have surpassed it since. Such a shame that Sony, MS and even Nintendo has not iterated on it.

Top Bottom