• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, GAF

Bryank75

Banned
I wasn't gonna make a thread cause I don't actually like being Irish...I always wanted to be a Texan.
The parades are all cancelled but everyone is drunk anyway!

This video gives some insight into life in Limerick;

Podge and Rodge interview Dara O'Briain;

And some absolute cringe, cause what would Paddy's day be without it;

Happy St. Patricks Day!

jdforge

Banned
Do Americans who think they’re of Irish heritage ever consider they are more likely to be of Ulster Scots or Scottish heritage?

A lot of the Scots who settled in Ireland (Ulster Scots) left for North America. It’s one of the reasons why Presbyterianism is so widely spread across North America.

Ionian

Didn't bother going outside, had my booze already bought. Very noisy anyway with people and busses running non-stop.

Very heavy Gardai presence in my area.

Always in Dublin, St.Patricks day will have the streets wrecked with rubbish. I pity the street cleaners, it gets wild.

EDIT: As I was typing that someone smashed a bottle either against a car or the road.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Do Americans who think they’re of Irish heritage ever consider they are more likely to be of Ulster Scots or Scottish heritage?

A lot of the Scots who settled in Ireland (Ulster Scots) left for North America. It’s one of the reasons why Presbyterianism is so widely spread across North America.

Most of them know quite specifically where they came from... the potato famine was only in 1845, which isn't that long a go in terms of Irish history. After the famine immigration continued to be strong but more due to economic conditions until the 1990's when Ireland figured out how to lower taxes.

Many families in Boston still speak Irish and play traditional Irish music etc passed down from generation to generation.

My family meet up with our relatives every few years, they live in California. (Family is from Clare)

Even in school we read a book in Irish called A Thig na Thit Orm, about a young Irish guy who immigrates from Kerry to England and then to the States and comes back to Ireland later in his life.

Last edited:

Ionian

I simply said other things were planted as well just poor farmers could only keep potatoes.

Think I said it was holocaust (which it was, my mistake more like genocide) and a mod banned me, then updated it to a perm.

I wasn't rude or anything. 20-25% of the population died because of it. It absolutely was ignored by the British and even laughed at in the papers of the time.

Bryank75

Banned
I simply said other things were planted as well just poor farmers could only keep potatoes.

Think I said it was holocaust (which it was, my mistake more like genocide) and a mod banned me, then updated it to a perm.

I wasn't rude or anything. 20-25% of the population died because of it. It absolutely was ignored by the British and even laughed at in the papers of the time.
Yeah, spot on, 1 million died and 2 million or so emigrated. They're crazy over there... person who banned you probably didn't even know the first thing about it.

nush

I bet you were being racist to Irish people.

Ionian

Yeah, spot on, 1 million died and 2 million or so emigrated. They're crazy over there... person who banned you probably didn't even know the first thing about it.

Oh no doubt, initial ban was short enough but some admin upgraded it. I wasn't even wrong. Was Even in a history thread.

Must have been marked or something, you know how they are.

Bryank75

Banned
Oh no doubt, initial ban was short enough but some admin upgraded it. I wasn't even wrong. Was Even in a history thread.

Must have been marked or something, you know how they are.

I know all too well....

Even Jaffe is banned over there,it's nuts.

Bryank75

Banned
I find it bizarre that people like Biden who is like 1/10 Irish runs around saying he’s Irish when he clearly isn’t.

Irish politicians claim any Democrats as Irish these days....

They hilariously claimed Obama and named a load of stuff after him. All I can do is roll my eyes.

Irish politicians claim any Democrats as Irish these days....

They hilariously claimed Obama and named a load of stuff after him. All I can do is roll my eyes.

Yeah I remember the Obama thing with roots in Ireland..

Bidens great great grandfather in 1850
So 170 years ago came to America. This mother fucker isn’t Irish bar his name.

I have more Irish in me than this pretender and I’ve never once claimed any Irish ancestry.

I think it’s some weird American phenomenon, especially for the ‘Irish’ community to claim their something their not. Obviously in some cases like the other poster said in Boston it’s true.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Happy St. Patrick's Day, seems pretty quiet up in N. Ireland at least around these parts, seen a few Instagram stories of a few drinking but all seems pretty low key compared to the usual insanity.

Yeah, there's nothing happening here either... we'll have to make up for it next year and make right tits out of ourselves! haha

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
conor mcgregor dancing GIF by UFC

Saint Patrick would HATE what is being celebrated in his namesake.

He was a tough man.

When he was about sixteen, he was captured by Irish pirates from his home in Britain and taken as a slave to Ireland, looking after animals; he lived there for six years before escaping and returning to his family. After becoming a cleric, he returned to northern and western Ireland. He served as a bishop, and by the seventh century, he had already come to be revered as the patron saint of Ireland the land of his enslavers!

No crying racism, no crying about discrimination, no revenge or reparations.
People have forgotten who is was and what he did. Instead people are getting pissed and dying beer green.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Pricks aren’t they...

Top Bottom