• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HarmoKnight |OT| Hunt to your own beat!

jgkspsx

Only halfway through the mountain zone, but I'm not really liking this. Unskippable cut scenes, apparently manual saving (although it seems to autosave after levels), and cut scene art so bad that the only comparison I can make is Dead Space Ignition. It's like they meant to replace the cut scenes with video but ran out of budget and had to leave the demo sketches in.

The in-game art isn't as bad, but it doesn't do anything for me. It looks designed for the under-10 set, while the gameplay if you're going for gold isn't. I dunno... difficulty seems to go all over the place, too. I'm not sure I'm willing to try for gold unless I get it first try.

The music is passable to mediocre, but never really enjoyable, which is unfortunate for a rhythm game.

I would not recommend for full price.

Gartooth

Eventually the game just clicked for me and I was able to beat the world 2 boss and have no problems finishing all levels on at least silver, and getting to the final boss on world 7. I got 44 of the notes so all I need is the one from the boss to unlock the bonus level in world 5.

Unfortunately I keep getting my ass kicked by the boss. The first 2 "phases" aren't so bad, but when both of you are charging head on, it just goes way too fast for me and I can't get the timing right. Kind of annoying that I have to replay the first two phases all over again just for a chance at winning the last phase.

Also the character designs in this game are awful, although the main bad guy looks badass in a crazy over the top way.

Gartooth

OK, I defeated the final boss and went back and collected all 5 birds by finishing that last level in world 5. Also finished all
Pokemon
stages. World 8 though is a pain so far.

TrickRoom

I just got this game recently and just passed World 3. These bosses are really well done. The last one gave me major Pirates of the Carribean vibes.

Started this last nite and completed world 1. I got gold on every level except the boss battle. Need to try it again tonight now that I took a break I should get gold pretty easy.

zroid

Banned
I've been putting this off 'cause I have other priorities at the moment and I know how addictive it is, but I'm not sure I can resist any longer. Maybe just one world..................

After playing all of the stages, then going back to beat them all on Fast, all of the Normal stages feel extreeeemely slow and out of tune. It's weird... Stages I used to have trouble with are now slow as dirt and just sound wrong.

So glad I didn't highlight this before finding out what the reward was for myself! I love when you unlock stuff like that completely unexpectedly.

Yeah some reviews ruined it, too. I'm glad I didn't read them until after beating the game.

TrickRoom

Got to world 5 now. For some reason, I just can't seem to match the rhythm to the snow carol songs. Also, the clock levels are interesting, if not rather trolly...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Only halfway through the mountain zone, but I'm not really liking this. Unskippable cut scenes, apparently manual saving (although it seems to autosave after levels), and cut scene art so bad that the only comparison I can make is Dead Space Ignition. It's like they meant to replace the cut scenes with video but ran out of budget and had to leave the demo sketches in.

The in-game art isn't as bad, but it doesn't do anything for me. It looks designed for the under-10 set, while the gameplay if you're going for gold isn't. I dunno... difficulty seems to go all over the place, too. I'm not sure I'm willing to try for gold unless I get it first try.

The music is passable to mediocre, but never really enjoyable, which is unfortunate for a rhythm game.

I would not recommend for full price.

...did you just diss the cutscene art? The artstyle is really distinct.

Also I disagree, the music is really catchy especially after playing a lot.

Fun little game, but I do admit it has its flaws (repeated melodies, gold rankings too easy on every level before World 7, music stopping when switching characters, etc.). The game has a lot of charm, though. I totally wouldn't mind playing a sequel to this game if it fixes its flaws.

Anyways, World 3 has my favorite music. Followed by World 4. What about you guys?

- Eugh that discorded W1 level in the caves, disadvantage to having just one song per world
- W2 is generally a lot better, I can actually hear the rhythm in this one. Also the levels aren't snoozefests
- It's weird that the margin for "GREAT" on normal levels is pretty wide, whereas on Boss levels you can't miss a hit Do you get everything for getting "GREAT" on all the fast levels?
- I have no idea what people are talking about, the artstyle is fantastic.
- As for catchy music, it's certainly ingrained in my mind after that damn minecart level. Though saying that, I'd buy HarmoKnight: Nintendo Hits in a hot second.
- How many worlds are there?
- The difficulty's getting pretty steep right now.

Overall, 7/10? So far it's not the eShop masterpiece I'd set it up to be, but definitely a solid and original game.

music stopping when switching characters, etc.)

ARGH this annoys me so damn much. Talk about breaking the flow.

I was thinking in buying this game; trailers and videos seemed amazing and I found the demo pretty catchy, but I haven't seen many reviews that describe this as a really good game. I'm afraid it gets too repetitive in mechanics or it lacks too much content.

NEO0MJ

I was thinking in buying this game; trailers and videos seemed amazing and I found the demo pretty catchy, but I haven't seen many reviews that describe this as a really good game. I'm afraid it gets too repetitive in mechanics or it lacks too much content.

Game is fun, but frankly in my opinion it's overpriced right now. Wait for a sale.

Diablos54

So I've finished the main game, but I still have to
find the 5 birds, and do all the tracks on fast mode.
I really liked the game, but I feel that £12 is a little too much to ask, I feel £8 or so would have been perfect.

TrickRoom

I barely get to the third part of the last boss battle on one heart and...

Gargan: Jump! Jump! Hit! Hit! Hit! Hit! Jump! Jump!

Me: Screw you!

For a second when that volcano erupted I thought there was going to be ANOTHER fight like, they always do for final bosses. I was nervous for the entire few seconds that followed before the credits officially rolled.

So what levels/stages do you like the most? Mine are:

- the 2nd mine cart stage (for some reason, I can't get the music out of my head!)
- the 3rd stage in Metal Mountain, the one that asks you to memorize the pattern
- the last two stages in the final world

rjc571

Banned
So what levels/stages do you like the most? Mine are:

- the 2nd mine cart stage (for some reason, I can't get the music out of my head!)
- the 3rd stage in Metal Mountain, the one that asks you to memorize the pattern
- the last two stages in the final world

World 3 At the Water's Edge
World 4 City Express
Any of the main levels in World 7, and the final World 7 boss

aechris

Unskippable cut scenes

cut scene art so bad

designed for the under-10 set

I know a lot of people disagree, but I do want to throw in that I agree with all this. I was so hyped for this game and I can't help but feel disappointed. It's near bargain bin experience for me. I expected way more from Game Freak.

difficulty seems to go all over the place, too

Getting gold on the "boss" levels is bullshit. 100% perfect is lame when the requirements for gold on the regular courses are so lenient.

Man, fuck the
Final Trial. The collapsing blocks are such bullshit.

That's the part you're having trouble with? I don't think I ever died in that section, even on the first go.
It's the stupid rock jumping section at the end that always gets me. I always seem to jump just a little bit too early and not make the jump. It's a miracle I golded that level at all. I'm afraid about what I'll have to go through to get a gold on the fast version.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Still have to remember to pick this up. I'm not gonna let myself do it while I'm playing Monster Hunter, Luigi's Mansion, and Need For Speed. That's just a little much.

zashga

Fun, happy little game. Hard to believe its only the fourth best game I've played on the 3DS this year. Crazy!

I only have one little complaint about Harmoknight: I wish side characters were handled a little better. They don't swap in very often, and that little silent pause when they do is pretty jarring.

nikos

So I'm playing the demo now. After a week of testing an XL and regular 3DS to see which I liked better, I pretty much decided to return both tomorrow. I originally bought a 3DS at launch and sold it when I got a Vita.

This game might actually get me to keep the 3DS. I'm having a lot of fun with the demo. Going to play it some more to see if it holds my interest. $15 might be a bit steep, depending on length, but it's still cheap.

TrickRoom

That last clock level is grade-A trolling. Probably one of the most spiteful level designs I've seen. Although, a stage like that kind of makes me wonder how a clock tower level to Victini's battle theme would be like...

XaosWolf

Glad there's others having a hard time with the Bounce Drum timing.
Something is definitely not right with it, and I'm sure its just trying to throw you off by having the drum pop-up as well. =/

Oh, and £12 doesn't feel so bad. Though the prices of this and Pullblox/Crashblox should have been switched if we're going by value for money.

That's the part you're having trouble with? I don't think I ever died in that section, even on the first go.
It's the stupid rock jumping section at the end that always gets me. I always seem to jump just a little bit too early and not make the jump. It's a miracle I golded that level at all. I'm afraid about what I'll have to go through to get a gold on the fast version.

I was referring to the jumping/ collapsing bit at the end, yeah. I've got the rest kind of reliably down, but I simply cannot get the timing of jumping and hitting the enemies properly down. My latest tactic is to stock up on energy in one of the earlier levels and just brute force my way through that section without hitting the enemies.

EDIT: OH MY CHRIST I FINALLY BEAT IT YESSSSSS

Kazerei

Banned
I'm still working on getting golds on the last few levels of the final world ... at normal speed. I love this game even though I kinda suck :lol

I'm still working on getting golds on the last few levels of the final world ... at normal speed. I love this game even though I kinda suck :lol

I didn't worry about getting Golds in the final world. I just focused on beating the game.

After doing that, I went back and played everything Fast. When I approached a level I didn't yet get a Gold in, it became much easier since I was much more experienced in the game. Plus, I had much more of a desire/reason to get the Gold since it's required to play it in Fast.

Looking back, I'm glad I did it that way since those stages have extremely high requirements for getting Gold, so it may have driven me crazy without the extra experience. lol

jgkspsx

If only there were classic Nintendo themes. I don't think I'm getting enough out of this to push forward. Man, that's a waste of $15. I hope they read my survey for this one.

I would kill for a traditional-Castlevania-skinned version of this. IGA's not doing anything, is he? You could have Trevor, Alucard, Grant, and Sypha. It would be awesome.

I'm really enjoying the game itself, but geez, it could do without about 80% of the dialog it makes you sit through. It's a momentum-killer.

Sinthetic

My girlfriend bought this (she lives 40 Miles away) and I played it while she was sleeping on the weekend. Absolutely love it, I definitely want a copy on my 3DS.

I finally beat the last stage...
is something supposed to happen after you beat The Final Trial? If you talk to Woodwin in the last space of the map with all golds do you unlock anything? He was babbling on about other adventures, so I didn't know if there was any post-game content besides playing all of the levels again with the faster tempo.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This looks pretty awesome and it's one of those games I wish I had a 3DS.

And since it's from Nintendo, this is never coming out anywhere else.

Diablos54

I finally beat the last stage...
is something supposed to happen after you beat The Final Trial? If you talk to Woodwin in the last space of the map with all golds do you unlock anything? He was babbling on about other adventures, so I didn't know if there was any post-game content besides playing all of the levels again with the faster tempo.
There is world 8, which is unlocked by finding the 5 birds hidden hatched throughout the levels. Just started it myself, it's actually pretty tough, considering I found the main game really easy.

There is world 8, which is unlocked by finding the 5 birds hidden hatched throughout the levels. Just started it myself, it's actually pretty tough, considering I found the main game really easy.

He actually beat that
the Final Trial is in World 8

The only thing he can do is get Gold on all the Normal and Fast stages to unlock
a picture gallery, one picture for every unlocked stage

Top Bottom