• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmonix / Hasbro announce DROPMIX

ElNarez

Banned
http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/introducing-our-next-game-dropmix/

DropMix_Header_-_TM.png

Today, we’re extremely excited to announce DropMix, a brand new game that we’re making in partnership with our friends at Hasbro. DropMix is a fast-paced music mixing game where players create one of a kind mixes by playing cards featuring hit songs from award-winning artists. It’s completely unlike anything else you’ve ever played and we hope it will give you that same deep connection to your music and your friends that our previous fan favorites like Rock Band or Dance Central have offered.

This actually sounds really cool to me, but incredibly easy to fuck up. If there's a sort of "remix battle" mode where two players compete to create the best remix with what they have, with a third player judging, that would be sweet.

Type40

Oh man, It looks like each card has elements of a song, some of the icons look like, vocals, drums, guitar and keyboard.

My guess is you can layer elements of different songs together.

Like Call Me Maybe's Keyboard with the Drums of Short Skirt/Long Jacket, etc.
The Tribe called Quest Card has all 4 Icons in the corner.

It could be like a MtG x Music battle.

wwm0nkey

Oh man, It looks like each card has elements of a song, some of the icons look like, vocals, drums, guitar and keyboard.

My guess is you can layer elements of different songs together.

Like Call Me Maybe's Keyboard with the Drums of Short Skirt/Long Jacket, etc.
The Tribe called Quest Card has all 4 Icons in the corner.

It could be like a MtG x Music battle.

Thats exactly what it is from what I just read, you merge different elements of the songs together.

Timeless

Wish there wasn't a toy component. Card packs getting people to gamble is the new video game hotness, but in toys it's been going on for decades.

Also glad to see Call Me Maybe in there but I hope Hasbro uses its library of My Little Pony music for some choice hits as well.

There's a neat concept here. Seems like there's an element of blackjack (racing for 21), combined with a collectible card game.

Weirdly, I kind of hope this plays like the 21 mode from the latest Resident Evil VII DLC. But with sick drops instead of finger mutilation.

Still, I really don't know if I'd buy in. Would totally try out a digital version, though. If this was Harmonix's answer to Hearthstone, that could be really rad.

ElNarez

Banned
Hard to tell if it's a collectible game or if it just comes in a box with everything you need.

Polygon seems to have more infos on pricing. $99 for the base game and 60 cards, with additional card packs going for $4.99 to $14.99.

e: and CNET has more on the game

Think of it like musical Uno. Each player has a set of cards, and each person takes turns laying down tracks on DropMix's open card slots.

Each color-zone represents different parts of the loop: bass, or vocals, or maybe a guitar riff. The cards change the remix depending on how they're played. Some cards only have particular loops, while others can be played anywhere on the board and have more loops.

I don't remember the order I played my cards, but it went something like this: I lay down a card, Skrillex. The person across from me cheers, lays down Meghan Trainor, "All About That Bass." The loops start to combine. I'm told to play another card. I have a few in my hand, so I play Bruno Mars. Suddenly the music changes tempo, and all the parts combine. Somehow it works together. I'm told this is a good move. I'm still figuring out what I'm doing, but the music sounds good. I look at the phone screen for my score. Does it matter? I'm enjoying myself.

DropMix is more about making music than cutthroat timing. This isn't Guitar Hero. But it feels like I'm performing, like a card-dealing DJ.

Interested in seeing more. This is a neat concept that could appeal to a lot of different demographics.

Also, finding that ultra rare Johnny Cash card would be pretty sweet.

Joey Ravn

Banned
The concept sounds cool, but I can't put my faith in a product like this these days. It's not like the latest Guitar Hero and Rock Band have set the world on fire.

Hopefully it's not another uDraw tablet...

Fancolors

Interesting concept, tho we still really need to see footage of this thing working to see if the songs sound good as they promise. Is it physical only? It would be neat to have a digital version for PC/consoles. I don't want to worry about carrying a bunch of plastic to play this.

soultron

Banned
Honestly, what the fuck was Hasbro/Harmonix thinking announcing this via press release without a video?

I have no idea how this thing is going to function.

Regiruler

The system looks cool but I don't like pop music, so I don't want this.

Would be cool if you could make a deck of your favorite genre.

Top Bottom