• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a Nintendo game's storyline ever made you feel anything?

Sad old man attempts desperately to recreate a past that will forever elude him

ruC4Vsu.jpg

Thud

Lots of feelings.

Story is more than just a summary of events. The intro sequence in Link's Awakening and Super Metroid tell an interesting story. Wind Waker ties its story with enough flair.

Then there's Earthbound which has a lot of warmth in it. The paper mario games are really funny. Xenoblade's story isn't that good, but the world is still very dear to me.

Joey Ravn

Banned
We all know Nintendo doesn't really care about storylines, they are only focused on gameplay. Even then there are good ones like the Mother saga, but besides from that i can't think of any other one that's so well thought and interesting as those games.

I think the point he is trying to make is that "emotion" doesn't limit itself to "sadness".

No video game story has ever made me feel anything. Same thing for animation.

I honestly can't believe you. "Nothing"? Joy? Excitement? Curiosity? Nothing? No emotional response at all? Then I wonder why you play games in the first place. You'd probably be better off watching paint dry.

Nottle

Talking about story not gameplay mechanics.

Most of the games that include writings a focus since the GameCube era have been funny. Games like the Mario Rpg games, Zelda games. Animal Crossing, Earthbound and mother 3.

I've felt sad during Mother 3 and Xenoblade.

Play Kid Icarus Uprising, it has really quirky writing.

mclem

I'm not sure it necessarily counts, but there's a great feeling of catharsis after completing a big Zelda. That tends to affect me emotionally; not because the story is necessarily emotional, but because it's, well, over. That's true of most lengthy titles (see also big RPGs, like Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE), and it's rarely directly due to the story itself.

In terms of feeling sadness, there's the storybook from SMG, and a few parts of Xenoblade Chronicles. Do we count Osu Tatake Ouendan and EBA as 'Nintendo games'? Because there's surprisingly good emotional highs in those games, all the more powerful because they come out of nowhere. And while we're touching on rhythm games, Rhythm Heaven is utter joy for a few of the games. PAH-PAH-PAH-PAAAAHNCH!

Edit: Oh, as noticed elsewhere in the thread, can't ignore Anju and Kafei. That might be the earliest instance I can think of.

Edit2: Oh, someone else mentioned Koko from BOTW. YES.

Weiss

Banned
As someone who suffered through an abusive mother, Pokemon Sun
showing Lillie and Gladion struggling and trying to become better people after the effects of their mother's abuse, and Lillie calling her out
really got to me.

Shivering

Neo Member
As a kid the end of Link's Awakening, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess definitely all meant something to me, and more recently some bits of Breath of the Wild were really neat (the Kass stuff).

Pokemon Black and White: The final battles of the game, and Farewell is such a beautiful track.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker: Link leaving his grandmother, and Ganondorf's famous line.

Elite Beat Agents: You know the song.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl: Pokemon Trainer and Toon Link being playable characters made me extremely happy.

xandaca

And then Nintendo decides to ruin that with the dumb Demise plotline:/
Ganondorf is just a dumb puppet of Demise now. No free own will.

Not necessarily. It's his fate to attempt to conquer the world and be defeated (most of the time) by the hero, but how he gets there can be defined by the individual. All that's reborn is Demise's hate. In WW, that manifests as jealousy and anger at Hyrule compared to the hardships of his home. It's reconcilable.

AEREC

A Link Between Worlds ending almost made me cry for some reason...other than that video game rarely get an emotional response from me. Movies and TV shows on the other hand do more frequently.

jdstorm

Banned
And then Nintendo decides to ruin that with the dumb Demise plotline:/
Ganondorf is just a dumb puppet of Demise now. No free own will.

Its not dumb, its actually kind of deep. Nintendo games are always products of their time and tend to adress the concerns of the modern world the were made in. Changing Gannondorf from a somewhat reckless and selfish man to a primal evil is in many ways an interesting social commentary on power and corruption.

Its not dumb, its actually kind of deep. Nintendo games are always products of their time and tend to adress the concerns of the modern world the were made in. Changing Gannondorf from a somewhat reckless and selfish man to a primal evil is in many ways an interesting social commentary on power and corruption.

Corruption implies that Ganondorf had a point in his time where he wasn't dishonest about his goals and methods, which I'm not sure anyone can argue.

daTRUballin

I used to be obsessed with the Star Fox franchise's storyline. And I'm talking about the canon story that took place between 64 and Assault. I personally thought it was really cool, although I am aware there are people that think the Star Fox storyline went to shit after 64. Wish they would've continued with it instead of making Zero be yet another reboot. I even made a thread about this recently.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1404102

Joey Ravn

Banned
Corruption implies that Ganondorf had a point in his time where he wasn't dishonest about his goals and methods, which I'm not sure anyone can argue.

The same can be said for Link and Zelda, though. The three characters are locked into a cycle of rebirth and death, each of them fulfilling a specific role in the triangle. Ganondorf can't escape being the evil Ganondorf, just like Link can't escape being the hero.

If anything, it goes to show that the ambition of Ganon in The Wind Waker was as pure as it could get: he was jealous of how easy Hyrule had it, while he grew up suffering in Gerudo. That's all he knew all his life. That's why he talks about the harsh wind: it's all he had. He's a tragic figure through and through.

Also, to whoever mentioned the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games... Holy shit, Explorers of Sky.

Arkage

Banned
Link's Awakening was pretty much the only game they've made that had an interesting emotional arc. One of the first games that makes you feel bad about beating it.

But 99% of what Nintendo produces is ABC storytelling with etch-a-sketch depth. Which is fine when the gameplay makes up for it. But no, their games do next to nothing for me on a story or narrative level. Even acclaimed titles like Majora's Mask and Mother 3 didn't do much for me on an emotional level, but maybe they would've been more impactful had I played them as a kid.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Zelda gave me all kinds of feelings, mostly strong rushes of euphoria and excitement, paired with nostalgia.
Same with Metroid,

fahr

Rosalina's storybook she reads to the lumas was strangely sweet and sad. Kinda wish Nintendo had released a real storybook of that. Would buy the fuck out of that. :)

Ocarina of Time shows him pledging himself to the king when you meet Zelda. After you collect the spiritual stones is when he executes his plan.

Loz246789

I have a ridiculous attachment to most of the cast of kid icarus uprising. They're just all so loveable. On the odd occasion the plot did get serious, I was definitely emotionally invested.

Koren

When I understood what was happening on Cocolint, I just wasn't able to finish the game. Took me several month before I decided to do the last part.

Beside that, from time to time, but to be honest, I don't remember many games really moving me, so it's just average on this.

jdstorm

Banned
Not seeing the connective tissue between Ganondorf and that commentary on society.

Antagonists in games/media often offer an interesting take on a social problem and that will allow the audience to engage with a real world issue in a fantasy context devoid of real world baggage. Most good media will do this.

The escalation of Gannon/Ganondorf from man to force of pure evil is interesting because it shows somewhat that as a species Humanities actions right now beyond the scope of evil typically perpetuated by cartoon villans.

Red Devil

Yeah a bunch of times.

Always found Guru-Guru's tale in Majora's Mask hillarious.

The ending scene of Super Mario RPG,
when Geno gets surrounded by the Star Pieces and ascends leaving the doll behind and biding farewell to the rest of the party followed by the aftermath and the parade
still gives me feels 21 years later.

Never felt as bad for a video game character before Orson in Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, then Melia happened, heh.

And there're others.

Shulk x Fiora = Best Pair

This.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I have had emotional experience with Nintendo games, but no, I've never cried.

Still haven't played any mother/earthbound stuff tho

Would love to see them on a future VC for switch

Timeaisis

What kind of question is this? Games are emotional at their core, and Nintendo games are no different. Happiness, joy, laughter, passion, frustration, sadness, elation, fear.

Sadness is not the only emotiona, and it's silly to think of emotions like that.

woopWOOP

Already been mentioned a billion times in this thread, but I'm in the process of replaying Mother 3 again and man... I played it first a while back before the fan translation and I vaguely remembered the beginning and end being really sad, but replaying it now and seeing that carefree town transformed into this work driven modern society with the old NPC's crammed into that old folks home is just so depressing. Such a goofy, depressing game that is.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, Majora's Mask and even the lore of Kirby games also made me feel sad things.

Sure, Super Mario's story is mostly goofy (and in Colour Splash's case really funny at times), but that's fine too!

Top Bottom