• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a soundtrack of a game ever on its own convinced you to give a game a chance?

Comandr

Scorn

I'm a huge fan of Billain and Lustmord. Knowing that these two would create the music and effects for the game I was instantly sold.
A man of culture I see. Scorn sold me when I heard it took heavy inspiration from H.R. Giger and would feature music from Lustmord. First got my start with him in 2013 with The Place Where the Black Stars Hang. I knew Scorn would be something special then.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
A man of culture I see. Scorn sold me when I heard it took heavy inspiration from H.R. Giger and would feature music from Lustmord. First got my start with him in 2013 with The Place Where the Black Stars Hang. I knew Scorn would be something special then.

For me it was mostly Adis. Whether Billain or Aethek he is an outstanding composer. But their combined forces really excel this game. Strip away the music and it's a different game. To me it was The Word As Power that introduced me to him.

Crayon

A almost dropped the first nine like 3 hours in but I couldn't get a couple of the songs out of my head for like two weeks.soninwent back.

Soltype

Was going through random PS2 soundtracks and heard this.Decided to buy it then and there, closest gamestop that had it was 30 minutes away, was worth the drive and every penny.

Was a fan of Iwatsuki from the SNES days, decided to buy the game because I liked the OST, game ended up being good too.

Last edited:

nowhat

I didn't have much knowledge of Platinum Games (loved Okami, but wasn't aware of the connection) and had no idea about Yoko Taro, but was moderately interested in NieR: Automata based on preview footage. But playing the demo, and that boss theme, I went instantly to "holy fuck I need to play this game". Zero regrets.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I guess Metal Hellsinger qualifies. It's a pretty mediocre shooter but the soundtrack elevates it and since it's a rhythm game too, it's worth playing at least once to see how those songs work within the gameplay.

AJBungah

Neo Member
Undertale-logo.jpg

I heard Megalovania somewhere and thought it was incredible so tried the game. Liked the game but LOVED the soundtrack.

Last edited:

Filben

No. Never. But there were soundtracks I often listen to long after finishing (or abandoning) a game because it the music was so good. But listen to music is less time consuming and doesn't require the attention of a video game so I'd never play a potentially bad game for its music.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Alone in the Dark had an amazing soundtrack.....horrible game though, but I still bought it and finished it just for the OST:
ab67616d0000b2737c5fd555a765aa097d8642c4

Dantes Inferno - Amazing amzing OST, the trailer has one of the hypest songs on the OST, but the rest of the game has a bunch of bangers too
1200x1200bb.jpg

lordrand11

I had a friend of mine when I was younger who was playing Chrono Trigger, at the time I wasn't really into RPGs as much and was mostly playing games like Mario, DKC, Super Metroid, Zelda etc., and I was hanging at his house. He got to the part where the Corridors of Time music started playing in the background and it grabbed my ears and attention really quick and my desire to play it shot up twenty-fold.

radewagon

Nope. I love a good soundtrack, but I've never gravitated towards a game because of the soundtrack. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever listened to a soundtrack before playing a game. You guys listen to soundtracks of games you don't have? That's cool, I guess, but I can't see myself ever doing that.

brian0057

Banned
No.
As good as Guilty Gears' soundtrack is, I'm not a fan of fighting games.
I also want nothing to do with the FGC. Nintendo was, and is, correct by not giving a fuck about it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
All the time the sweety Japanese games I like win me by the soundtracks, some like Xenoblade retain me so hard and make me want everything being like it with the feel of it's music, some even bore to death but the music is the only thing retaining me but then can do much like in the Witcher 1

KXVXII9X

Listening to the Nier Automata Opera boss music before the game came out did something to my soul. I actually cried and then preordered instantly. It is still my favorite soundtrack of anything.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

This game’s OST came up when I was listening to the Secret of Mana OST. Game is decent but the soundtrack is god tier

Denton

Unfortunately I did not find the game too interesting and stopped playing after about an hour, but I listen to the soundtrack to this day. Jesper Kyd is a genius.

Unfortunately I did not find the game too interesting and stopped playing after about an hour, but I listen to the soundtrack to this day. Jesper Kyd is a genius.

That is unfortunate. Darksiders 2 rocks! A bit too ambitious and it shows by endgame, but it was a worthy sequel to 1.

peronmls

No. If the game looks and plays bad I’m not going to care for the either music. I’ll go to the next game.

Fbh

Slightly off topic but low key the thing I'm most excited about Alan Wake 2 is the new song by Old Gods of Asgard (I know it's just Poets of the Fall but I like their songs for remedy more than their actual albums lol)

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

No because I dont go out of my way to search the soundtracks of games im not interested in.

Actually, im not really into game soundtracks at all.

The Stig

Command & Conquer. Tiberian Dawn.

I never really liked the idea of RTS games. The soundtrack sucked me in and I've owned every game since (except C&C4, we dont talk about that dumpster fire)

I hear that track and its the 90s again and ugh, now i'm sad. lol

BlackTron

Sonic the thread.

Slightly off topic but a great soundtrack can't save a bad game. However a good soundtrack is a key part of an excellent game -plenty of good games out there which would only be average if they had poor music.

That said. You tend to discover that the music fit the game well by playing it. It's very rare for me to hear a piece of game music and decide I want to play it based on that. I did use to look up old game midi tunes in the past (like MM and CV) but modern style OSTs tend to be scored very generically movie-like and it all coalesces together for me...where are the distinct iconic game themes like Halo title screen these days

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Used to listen to the Chrono Cross OST all the time and it was drilled into me by the Internet that the game was shit.

Once they finally fixed the remaster I played it. One of the greatest games ever made and I think it's better than Trigger.

Denton

That is unfortunate. Darksiders 2 rocks! A bit too ambitious and it shows by endgame, but it was a worthy sequel to 1.
I totally believe you but I just don't think these games are for me. I tried DS1 and DS3 and neither grabbed me either. The combination of artstyle and gameplay type just ain't for me. But I am glad it exists...for that soundtrack if nothing else.

Top Bottom