• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Activision shot themselves in the foot with the MW Remastered paywall?

KJRS_1993

It'll be standalone eventually I would think. Limiting the multiplayer population to those who only bought a limited edition doesn't sound like it would work.

The bigger problem for me is the fact there's only 10 maps! Its already an expensive buy-in for a game I played nearly an entire decade ago, and it's not even going be the whole game?

I'm more interested in Infinite Warfare.

farcryfan

Neo Member
It's more than likely that MWR will have to be launched from the IW multiplayer menu. i doubt very much it will be stand alone game. this way it keeps the player online logins for IW up, regardless of which game they play.

Bishop89

will be buying Infinite warfare day 1!
for mw:r only

And will be getting bf1

I think its a shitty move, but they will still be rolling in the $$$

Coxy100

Banned
Sadly people will still buy this in droves so no they haven't shot themselves. Shitty business move - but that's modern gaming for you.

Pay extra to play early.... Season pass costs as much as the game etc etc

Nope. This will have exactly the intended effect. People who lost interest in CoD years ago will buy both. That's exactly what I'm doing, though I'll be selling Infinity Warfare immediately to recoup some of the cost (though I bet shitloads of other people will be doing the same thing, and the sell value of IW is going to plummet almost immediately).

They'll release MW on it's own eventually to sell to the few people who aren't willing to buy both.

deoee

I always think of this

18j48weujcgewjpg.jpg

Dunkers92

It's more than likely that MWR will have to be launched from the IW multiplayer menu. i doubt very much it will be stand alone game. this way it keeps the player online logins for IW up, regardless of which game they play.

This. It would be a huge oversight for Activision to have it as a stand alone game, so people can just trade IW in afterwards. You'll redeem a code yes, but the access to the game will either require the IW disc, or be in the IW menus so you need to keep it

And to the original question, no they haven't hurt themselves. They know the demand for MWR is off the charts, pretty good business decision to be honest. People will buy it in droves.

Marvel

could never
Finding out about MW being a pack-in deal killed it for me, going to wait on it's inevitable re-release with all DLC.

brawly

No. Once real gameplay starts rolling out people are gonna cave in. But regardless, they'll make shittons of money again.

EVO

If everyone is clamoring for the MW remaster so much, what's stopping people from hooking up their PS3/360 and just playing it now?

Are the servers still active? If so, what's the player count like? I imagine it would be pretty low, but nonetheless it's weird seeing hype for a remaster when the original is still easily playable (single player at least).

This. It would be a huge oversight for Activision to have it as a stand alone game, so people can just trade IW in afterwards. You'll redeem a code yes, but the access to the game will either require the IW disc, or be in the IW menus so you need to keep it

And to the original question, no they haven't hurt themselves. They know the demand for MWR is off the charts, pretty good business decision to be honest. People will buy it in droves.

If that's the case then I'm out. I don't want nothing to with Space Rangers. Advanced warfare was the worst game I have bought in years.

Someone post the picture of the Boycott MW2 steam group where every person was playing MW2.

Hey do you got the one about how shooter maps were always awesome mazes in the past and now they are all tubes? Or how about the one that shuts down every conversation about horror games? I like those, too.

Acinixys

Im buying BF1 for my MP shooter fix

And when MW2.0 is released as a stand alone game in a year ill get that as well

Activision is a hugely profitable video game company that has been in this industry for decades and has innumerable resources to analyze data and determine what is going to make them the most money. I think they know what they're doing.

If that's the case, why on earth did they decided to kick this CoD-stone another distance further into the future?

For an entire year i have heard people complaining about the franchise getting a little to sci-fi-y to many CoD-fans' taste. Nevertheless, they decide to come with IW, and as one could have expected, receive endless amounts of shit for it.

I agree that one wants to think that way up high those corporate skyscrapers, where people are making the big bucks, they surely must know what they are doing for them to be where they are.

As i grow older, i'm astounded by the amount of amateurism i see manifest itself, even in the highest paid circles (financial crisis anyone?). Thankfully, real smart people are also to be found in all places, but they are far and few between and certainly not always (rarely?) get the last say in what direction a strategy should be.

Kalentan

If that's the case then I'm out. I don't want nothing to with Space Rangers. Advanced warfare was the worst game I have bought in years.

If Advanced Warfare was the worst game you've bought in years... You haven't bought many games.

If that's the case, why on earth did they decided to kick this CoD-stone another distance further into the future?

For an entire year i have heard people complaining about the franchise getting a little to sci-fi-y to many CoD-fans' taste. Nevertheless, they decide to come with IW, and as one could have expected, receive endless amounts of shit for it.

I agree that one wants to think that way up high those corporate skyscrapers, where people are making the big bucks, they surely must know what they are doing for them to be where they are.

As i grow older, i'm astounded by the extent of amateurism i see manifest itself, even in the highest paid circles (financial crisis anyone?). Thankfully, real smart people are also to be found in all places, but they are far and few between and certainly not always (rarely?) get the last say in what direction a strategy should take.

There is a simple answer, something I think many people overlook.

This game has been in development for 3 years, before AW or BO3 came out. They had no idea there was going to be a backlash at the time and even when it started to crop up, they sure as hell couldn't turn the ship.

I feel like people seem to forget that these games aren't developed in one year. Even before the change, the games were on a two-year development cycle.

jelly

If everyone is clamoring for the MW remaster so much, what's stopping people from hooking up their PS3/360 and just playing it now?

Are the servers still active? If so, what's the player count like? I imagine it would be pretty low, but nonetheless it's weird seeing hype for a remaster when the original is still easily playable (single player at least).

True and yeah people are still playing but not BC on Xbox at least so you need the old consoles.

Activision will make bank, people will buy the Legacy edition then they will be heroes when they eventually announce a standalone version which will be overpriced, however the gamer response will be at least we have it standalone, that's what we wanted. Activision know how to play this for maximum return, are you okay with that or have the will to resist until the offer is more to your liking or will you cave and reinforce their strategy?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Well I wanted to play MWR but I'm not buying IW for it.

kiguel182

I will probably buy the base game if they do some sale around Christmas like I did for Black Ops 3.

I am more interested in IW than I am for MWR. If I want to play MW I can just buy it on steam for cheap on a sale.

If Advanced Warfare was the worst game you've bought in years... You haven't bought many games.

There was a laser whose damage was tied to framerate.

If someone had a fast PC and unlocked the framerate it would essentially fire faster.

If they also happened to get one of the better laser variants in a loot box they could just jetpack around the map instagibbing everyone.

madmackem

No it's smart of them, look at how well crackdown sold because it came with halo 3 beta, granted crackdown turned out to be a very good game but I know a lot of people who bought it day one for the halo beta alone, people on the fence about infinite war but who want mw will be tempted way more than if it didn't come with it.

They'll be laughing their way to the bank then when the deluxe version stops selling, they'll release MWR standalone for $40-60 and laugh their way to the bank again. That plus season pass and probably remastered DLC too...

Activision knows exactly what they're doing, it will sell millions regardless of what the few on GAF say. It's a smart business move.

As i grow older, i'm astounded by the amount of amateurism i see manifest itself, even in the highest paid circles (financial crisis anyone?). Thankfully, real smart people are also to be found in all places, but they are far and few between and certainly not always (rarely?) get the last say in what direction a strategy should be.

Why not just go back and play older MW style games? There's like 6 to pick from. Do we really need another at this point?

Even Activision knows that Call of Duty can't last forever if they keep repeating themselves. That's why the last two games were attempts to shake up the formula instead of more rehashes.

People always want the same old shit. They're might be a vocal group complaining about the sci-fi stuff, but that doesn't mean they're in the right. The MW remaster is just an appeasement. IW's probably going to try and shake things up in a major way for this year's game. They know that would piss people off, and that's why MW remaster is there to give em the same old shit.

Well that is true. The older I get the less time I want to spend on average or bad games. I usually know if I like something when I see the previews or reviews. Sunset Overdrive was the exception. Hated it. I assumed that I wouldn't like AW and I was right. The new COD couldn't interest me less, but I usually don't like the same series that drag on for too long.

blazeuk

It's CoD so sales will be good either way, personally I would have been interested in a standalone MW but I have no interest in IW so I'll pass on it for now. Like others have said the online population will be pretty limited when large amounts of buyers will be playing the new IW over a remaster anyway (and of those IW buyers not everyone will opt for the 2 game version anyway) - it'll no doubt get a standalone release eventually and I'm going with it being fairly quickly after release.

I have zero interest in MW. I had fun with the MP for the time, but that was long ago and many better MP games have come out since, and I never liked the campaign. That said, I'm sure they ran the numbers and they are going to make a lot more money selling it for $80 with IW than they would selling it by itself for $20 or $30.

Nere

I wanted to buy the remaster but no way I am paying so much to get it with IW which I don't want. So maybe you are right OP.

MrNelson

Banned

Last I checked the PS3 version was a hackfest. I'm not sure how the 360 version is currently fairing.

I'm picking up Gears 4, Halo Wars 2, Titanfall 2 and Battlefield this year, that's already too many games for me.

Ill wait till next year when it's sold solo.

Yall are buggin if you think this won't sell gangbusters. Cod still the king.

but CoD's like the fucking NBA Playoffs of videogames for some people. It's CoD. People will buy CoD.

and this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why we're getting milked for free..
"who cares if they're overcharging, it's [TITULAR NAME], people will buy it anyway!"
don't be surprised when they charge 40 for doom's season pass, or when game starts costing always 80 dollars..
I mean, we have the "square enix tax" in japan, the "atlus tax" in the us, makes sense that other developers will start doing the same sooner or later along the line...
fps are "justifying" their season pass cost becoming higher and higher, and people complain are just "some people"..
Oh well.....

I don't think this makes a major difference in the long run; it's not like Activision is known for its consumer-friendly practices. If anything this scheme is just there to bilk a couple million more sales at launch; I'm sure come next May it'll be sold as its own download.

and this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason why we're getting milked for free..
"who cares if they're overcharging, it's [TITULAR NAME], people will buy it anyway!"
don't be surprised when they charge 40 for doom's season pass, or when game starts costing always 80 dollars..
I mean, we have the "square enix tax" in japan, the "atlus tax" in the us, makes sense that other developers will start doing the same sooner or later along the line...
fps are "justifying" their season pass cost becoming higher and higher, and people complain are just "some people"..
Oh well.....

The point they're making is that the popular opinion on gaming culture boards like here don't matter to Activision's bottomline. We're essentially a peripheral demographic when it comes to CoD.

The upshot is the series will more than likely continue its sales decline, Activision has shown it's more focused on wringing every last penny from an IP than ensuring that it is sustainable.

Ambient80

No, they made a very smart financial move by pairing MW Remastered with this game. Just look at the dislikes on the youtube video - most COD fans don't want the franchise to continue in the direction that Infinite Warfare is going. Most don't want jet packs, they don't want space battles. They want something that resembles actual modern combat. I think this game would be the first COD flop. It would still sell, but I think it would be quite a bit less than any other title since MW1.

But you pair it with this remaster and tons of people will buy it just for that. Most long time COD fans love MW1 and won't have the willpower to wait until the game is sold by itself in order to play. And plenty of people who never experienced will get sucked into the hype of everyone talking about it and they'll buy it to give it a shot. The pairing guarantees the game will sell great regardless of how people feel about Infinite Warfare.

Oh, and Activision will just rake in even more cash when they do sell the remaster separately.

I also think there's a very high chance Activision will lock a MW1 map in each of Infinite Warfare's map packs in order to get people to buy those DLCs. That's probably why we're only getting ten maps. They know exactly what they're doing.

And I don't know if anyone has mentioned it already but another reason why this move makes sense for Activision is because there's really no other time they can release MW Remastered. They'd have to not create a new game in the series and just release a MW Collection instead one year... that was never likely. They can't release it early in the next year because it would kill the new game's MP player count and people wouldn't buy the map packs. If they release it later in the summer, people might be enjoying it too much and could pass on the next COD game. So their only options were create a remaster collection instead of a new game or bundle it together like this. I can't ever see them not making new games in the series. So yeah. We got this.

People keep quoting the YouTube thing as proof of a majority of players hating the futuristic setting and such. First off, those dislikes represent, what, maybe 1/15th of the game sales for BO3? 1/10th at worst? Either way, hardly a majority by any stretch.

Let's also not forget that it became a meme in itself once people started chanting for one million dislikes. It was more of a "LOL THIS IS FUNNAY" than any actual protest, and the comments show that.

Activision will be fine. CoD will be fine. BF1 will also be fine. Activision made a really smart move by bundling the two together. It's arguably the best bonus they've ever given for the $80 version of the game.

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm going to buy a call of duty game for $80 like every other human being who buys a call of duty game in november

Sure the volume in people showing distress is one thing but CoD's like the fucking NBA Playoffs of videogames for some people. It's CoD. People will buy CoD.

I hope people dont buy this bullshit so we can have mwr for 30 on psn instead.

It's CoD, it's going to sell well regardless. Personally, I was hyped about the remastered and was going to get IW for it. However, the more I think about it, I'm likely just to wait and see if they sell it separately later.

Hahaha damn charsace they even got you with thus bullshit and ur ready to run with it.

80 dollars man. Thats almost two new games.

I mean to me it's not a steal; it's just an accurate reflection of the relative values of both games.

Now, them bundling IW, MWR and IW's Season Pass is a steal, at least imo.

I personally think the call of duty player that usually gets the base game + season pass at launch will have a bargain with the digital deluxe.
IW + MW Remaster + Season Pass = $99.99, don't really see anything else toppling that value wise for them.
The problem only arises when you take in account those people that only want the remaster. Here you have a case of Activision forcibly selling you the new even if you are only interested into the new old one.

While releasing it standalone later would also make sense, what if they instructed it to be made so that it can't really function without Infinite Warfare from a technical point of view?

Top Bottom