• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has amiibo gone too far? (Twilight Princess HD)

Reebot

Yeah Activision and Disney are just getting demolished right now

Shoot me a message when Activision give you new missions for Modern Warfare HD when you buy a toy.

That's whats happening here. This isn't an adoption of the Skylanders business model, its fleecing nostalgia driven fans for cash.

And it works. See: this thread.

b7cda4c705e046379212bd05a1e87657.jpg

Yes. It's all non-essential, hard mode is Hero Mode difficulty as is, which is there from the start.

And this is literally the sort of thing people say amiibo should be doing when they say they're useless for anything.

Well because unless you did you'd imagine things like resell value, collector's value, shareability etc. enter the equation.

I can't get into that mindset, I don't buy things in life thinking I'd ever want to get rid of 'em. And even if I did, I'd just do it for free.

But fair enough I suppose.

What if you don't own the amiibo but would like the extra difficulty, or the additional dungeon?

This I guess is where things get more on an individual basis. I buy amiibo for the statues, and the game things are just bonuses. So I don't really think of them as DLC. I see a new use for the amiibo and go "oh cool, a reason to grab it off my shelf"

But for someone who just wants the content and doesn't care about the statue, it could be a little annoying.

But a 12 dollar "pass" that gets you content over several games is pretty cool. Link gets you quite a lot for your money, if you own the right games.

JaseMath

The Wolf Link Amiibo unlock is 10x worse than DLC. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of Nintendo Skylander toys just to get the most out of a game; it's complete bullshit.

The Wolf Link Amiibo unlock is 10x worse than DLC. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of Nintendo Skylander toys just to get the most out of a game; it's complete bullshit.
At least in the Us, every retail copy of the game comes with the figure.
It's also not a dungeon, as others have mentioned, but a cave of ordeals but for Wolf Link

BY2K

Membero Americo
Shoot me a message when Activision give you new missions for Modern Warfare HD when you buy a toy.

That's whats happening here. This isn't an adoption of the Skylanders business model, its fleecing nostalgia driven fans for cash.

How is that worse than having your entire roster needing a plastic toy to use?

Could you imagine if, say you want to play Super Smash Bros for Wii U, you'd need the amiibo of the character you want to play it? But Nintendo isn't doing that, Activision is.

While I agree that the new Cave of Shadows should be available to all players, it's basically just a reskinned Cave of Ordeals. Unless you love the wolf combat, you're not missing out on much.

TriAceJP

My only complaint is that some people don't want little plastic figures. The content is not available in other means so they either deal with it or buy a toy they don't want.

I personally like the little devils but I can understand why people wouldn't.

Xav

Amiibo unlockables are usually extras I don't care about, Twilight Princess included.

I am however still pissed about Capitan Todd. The "Find Toad" mini game is fantastic and I hate that it's locked via Amiibo.

SegaShack

Amiibo unlocks have mostly been lightweight. It's no worse than any other DLC but I suppose in this case you at least get a toy too. If someone is against DLC in general I can see the dislike for this. However if they support DLC but see an issue with amiibos doing it I think it's hypocritical.

This I guess is where things get more on an individual basis. I buy amiibo for the statues, and the game things are just bonuses. So I don't really think of them as DLC. I see a new use for the amiibo and go "oh cool, a reason to grab it off my shelf"

But for someone who just wants the content and doesn't care about the statue, it could be a little annoying.

But a 12 dollar "pass" that gets you content over several games is pretty cool. Link gets you quite a lot for your money, if you own the right games.

I don't find it a malicious approach or anything, it's cool that people can have affordable memoribilia while supporting the companies they love, and the fact they have futureproofed uses is cool, but I guess it might become hard for some people going through on a game-by-game basis for some of this stuff. What if I like Fire Emblem but don't want any of the figurines and would then miss out on the bonus they can grant?

Warxard

Banned
Wow that Ganon one is kind of shitty considering that is something that would fix a huge issue with TP (it being piss easy)

Ivan 3414

That comparison doesn't work; I doubt Call of Duty fans are interested in "toys" based on their favorite CoD characters or weapons or something.

But if there was a one-time 13 dollar pass that unlocked new single player or spec-ops missions for the new CoD and several CoDs in the future? You best believe fans would be buying that pass in droves.

Neoxon

Eh, none of the Amiibo extras are essential, so I'm not losing any sleep over it. Plus, to my knowledge, every physical copy comes with Wolf Link in the US.

The thing is though, the game costs $60. That is not the normal price for an HD remaster. You are paying for that amiibo and you are forced to buy it with the game.
But you're not losing out on content.
You can argue that it's too expensive, but that's another point entirely

fernoca

Could be wrong but the main 2 complaints in the main post are based on nothing:

-All the Gannondorf amiibo does is increase the diffuculty on any mode. Hero Mode is separate.

-The new Cave, all the wolf amiibo unlock seems to be just the Cave of Ordeals but playable only as Wolf Link.

I could maybe agree with the "new cave", but Hero Mode is still part if the game without amiibo mirrored and with increased difficulty (as explained in this week's videoaround 3:25).

Alfredo

Just like with any other Day 1 DLC, I'm okay if it's just cosmetic content. Using Amiibos to unlock costumes in Mario Kart and Mario Maker is fine.

But locking away content that actually affects the core game is kinda messed up. And then to lock them behind a physical item (that has been notoriously subject to stock issues) is even more messed up.

If they put up digital keys you can download from the eShop at a cheaper price than an Amiibo to unlock the dungeon and hard mode, it'd be a little easier to swallow...but that's still Day 1 DLC that everyone hates so much.

Ridley327

Amiibo unlockables are usually extras I don't care about, Twilight Princess included.

I am however still pissed about Capitan Todd. The "Find Toad" mini game is fantastic and I hate that it's locked via Amiibo.

We have a very different definition of fantastic, because that "mode" is one of the blatantly half-assed things I've seen tied to any kind of physical good. You'd be lucky to get an hour out of it, especially since it doesn't work on every level.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't the Wolf Link Amiibo come with the game?

I think It varies by region. In the us it comes with all physical copies, but you can buy digitally.

Anyway, this type of thing is just the reality. If Nintendo is going to survive without going third party they need to monitize the shit out of their diehard base.

donny2112

Hey, look! I bought these awesome figures of Zelda, Shiek, Toon Link, and Ganondorf that Nintendo almost never puts out because of their ridiculous fascination with Link and Mario characters to the exclusion of all their other franchises. What? I can use those same figures that I've been clamoring for forever from Nintendo in actual games? Eh, if it's worth it.

/me

Also, you can borrow Ganondorf from a friend IRL (do people still have those nowadays?) if you want the extra difficulty without buying the figure. If you want the extra challenge dungeon, you'll need to wait until after your friend used the Wolf Link amiibo in Zelda U to get whatever it does there, though. Then you're free to use it as much as needed with no additional cost. The "share with my friends for no additional cost to get all the unlocks" is a great feature of amiibo that gets overlooked a lot, probably because not many people are in a position to take advantage of that. Doesn't work with Wolf Link amiibo, since you have to keep scanning him to save your progress for Zelda U, though.

DeathPeak

As someone who likes owning hard copies or games, owning "hard copies" of "DLC" doesn't sound too shabby. Hell, if I get sick of/don't like the "DLC," I can sell it to someone else, or I can use the "DLC" on a different game and unlock something else. These physical forms of "DLC" look cool too, so when they're not in use I can display them on my shelf.

Just like with any other Day 1 DLC, I'm okay if it's just cosmetic content. Using Amiibos to unlock costumes in Mario Kart and Mario Maker is fine.

But locking away content that actually affects the core game is kinda messed up. And then to lock them behind a physical item (that has been notoriously subject to stock issues) is even more messed up.

If they put up digital keys you can download from the eShop at a cheaper price than an Amiibo to unlock the dungeon and hard mode, it'd be a little easier to swallow...but that's still Day 1 DLC that everyone hates so much.

They did not lock Hard Mode behind amiibo, Hero Mode is Zelda's Hard Mode and is available from the start. The Ganondorf amiibo's effect is that it doubles damage on EITHER mode. And the stock issue are essentially resolved (You can buy Ganondorf easily at most retailers and discounted on amazon.)

bon

Remember that Amiibo are compatible with an increasing number of games. When you buy the Ganondorf Amiibo, you aren't paying $10 for hard mode in Twilight Princess, you're paying $10 for a collectable figure, hard mode in Twilight Princess, a costume in Mario Maker, a costume in Yoshi Yarn, a thing in Smash, a thing in Hyrule Warriors, and whatever else they want to use this amiibo for in future games.

You might not care about all of those features, but that's Nintendo's approach with Amiibo currently. You buy one and can use it in multiple games for all sorts of things.

donny2112

You'd be lucky to get an hour out of it, especially since it doesn't work on every level.

It works on every story level. Just not the bonus levels. I loved that mode personally. Found them all, and it was great fun examining every nook and cranny listening for his voice to find him!

Alfredo

They did not lock Hard Mode behind amiibo, Hero Mode is Zelda's Hard Mode and is available from the start. The Ganondorf amiibo's effect is that it doubles damage on EITHER mode. And the stock issue are essentially resolved (You can buy Ganondorf easily at most retailers and discounted on amazon.)

Okay, sorry. Let me rephrase:

If they put up digital keys you can download from the eShop at a cheaper price than an Amiibo to unlock the dungeon and the Ganondorf amiibo's effect, it'd be a little easier to swallow...but that's still Day 1 DLC that everyone hates so much.

QaaQer

"I'll take gaming culture 101 for $400 Alex."

"Any other company would get destroyed, but tying over-priced DLC to plastic figures is A-OK for this Japanese giant."

"Nintendo!"

"Sorry, all answers must be in the form of a question."

I thought locking a difficulty mode behind amiibo would have even Nintendo fans shaking their heads. Guess not.

It would be shitty if they locked content out of the game that was usually a feature in Zelda games. None of the other Zelda games offered a hero mode outside of hero mode...if that makes sense. No other Zelda remake added new content outside of the fishing ponds in MM. And no other Zelda has refillable hearts and arrows. The game was also designed 10 years ago without the amiibo in mind
I thought locking a difficulty mode behind amiibo would have even Nintendo fans shaking their heads. Guess not.
It's not locked behind the amiibo. Hero mode is included

Acerac

Banned
"I'll take gaming culture 101 for $400 Alex."

"Any other company would get destroyed, but tying over-priced DLC to plastic figures is A-OK for this Japanese giant."

"Nintendo!"

"Sorry, all answers must be in the form of a question."
The fact that you posted this in one of the many threads bitching about Amiibo makes me smile.

Amiibos have one thing over traditional DLC in that they're compatible with any past and future games that supports the Amiibo, which is a nice benefit that can't be said for other forms of DLC. You can also sell the Amiibo if you don't find the content it unlocks that compelling. I've got the bundle pre-ordered and will probably keep the Amiibo until they announce what it does in the new Wii U Zelda.

Obviously I'd prefer if all the content was achievable in-game without any DLC/Amiibos, as I would with any game (Mario Maker did it pretty well, by having pretty much everything that Amiibo unlock achievable by other ways, except the mega mushroom), and I don't particularly like having a physical chunk of plastic taking up space in my apartment if I can avoid it, but as far as "toys to life" stuff is concerned, Nintendo is doing a pretty good job with not making the stuff they unlock a huge part of the games they're compatible with.

Xav

We have a very different definition of fantastic, because that "mode" is one of the blatantly half-assed things I've seen tied to any kind of physical good. You'd be lucky to get an hour out of it, especially since it doesn't work on every level.
It's a fun extra in my opinion. Mainly when you have some friends over all looking at the same time. Having it tied to a £10 Amiibo obviously creates higher expectations.

QaaQer

It would be shitty if they locked content out of the game that was usually a feature in Zelda games. None of the other Zelda games offered a hero mode outside of hero mode...if that makes sense. No other Zelda remake added new content outside of the fishing ponds in MM. And no other Zelda has refillable hearts and arrows. The game was also designed 10 years ago without the amiibo in mind

It's not locked behind the amiibo. Hero mode is included

That amiibo increases difficulty, no? Then they are locking a difficulty mode behind amiibo.

Somnid

Is Ganondorf a difficulty mode or a temporary stat-down? Couldn't you just collect half as many heart pieces? There are some very clear lenses in effect here.

EBreda

Amiibos are the SOLE REASON I'm pissed at Nintendo nowadays.

Look, I have my WiiU for years now, I've got almost single one of Nintendo games and must buy WiiU exclusives, I buy some 3rd party ports too considered the definitive versions, I buy Wii games through eshop, and I've never ever complained about Nintendo's support, effort, prices, interface, lack of sales, ancient account system, gamepad implementation, or anything.

Fckng amiibos though are absurd. Overpriced pieces of plastic used to lock away content already on disc and deterrent of digital sales (where the profit margins are proved to be bigger).

I will avoid TPHD and I hate that every single Nintendo release nowadays is made with Amiibos in mind. Seems Nintendo is going the extra mile to fuck with digital buyers and loyal fans altogether.

I never ever ever considered dropping the WiiU, until now. Hate this with a passion.

I'm fine with the amiibo usage, but then again I collect them as I really like them. The more uses for amiibo I already own, the better.

I think one reason Nintendo is only selling the physical copy of the game with the Wolf Link amiibo bundles in for the U.S. market is because it gives a slight break on price ($3) vs if you had to buy each separately, but also it gives everyone the bonus dungeon. As for digital buyers, the amiibo is eventually going to be sold separately, but I'm not sure why it's not at launch. I suppose they could sell this as "DLC" on the eShop, but I wonder what kind of price would be acceptable? One thing to consider is that the Wolf amiibo will be able to be used in the upcoming Zelda game coming out this fall, but we're in the dark as to what it will actually do.

Tevious

Ganondorf Amiibo (Super Smash Bros Series) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0128UGIXC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's a $10 toy dude, come on.

A $10 toy that I don't want, so to me it's just a $10 difficulty mode unlock. On top of that, I'm living overseas, so I would need to import the fucking thing too. Which is also why I was going to buy this digitally, but now I'm debating not buying this game at all.

Twilight Princess, as I remembered it, was one of the easiest Zelda games, but the dungeons were a lot of fun. This game isn't going to be as fun for me without the extra bump in difficulty level. I'm a souls fan (see my avatar). I was looking forward to playing this game again in Hero Mode, but that's tied to the mirror world. As I said before, I really don't want to play in the mirror world.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't mind really. I'd actually love if the WindWaker HD LE came with a Gannondorf Amiibo instead of a statue and did the same thing if it meant we'd have gotten a toon Link Amiibo.

Wait... there isn't a toon Link Amiibo yet... is there?

Top Bottom