• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has DreamWorks taken back its role as the "anti-Disney"?

Jubenhimer

In 1997, former president of Walt Disney Pictures Jeffery Katzenberg, teamed up with Steven Speilberg to form a new film and television company that hoped to take on the big boys called DreamWorks. The new start up included its own animation studio, which Katzenberg hoped could challenge Disney, who at the time was at the height of its animation renaissance.

Though DreamWorks put out some cult hits, it's biggest break came in 2001 with the release of Shrek. A film that subverted, parodied, and deconstructed the Disney fairy tale formula. Shrek became a massive success, catering to a counter-culture audience of movie goers who wanted an alternative to the squeaky clean, rubber-stamped Disney movies.

Today, DreamWorks as a company, exists exclusively as the animation studio, now owned by NBCUniversal. And in the years following Shrek, the studio's output progressively became more and more generic. What was once a brand that challenged itself to do what other animation studios wouldn't do, was now doing exactly what every theatrical animation studio in the industry was doing at the time (Celebrity voices, wise craking talking animals, obnoxious LOLsoRanam! humor) With the occasional gem like How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda thown in.

But that seems to be changing lately. With Disney and Pixar's animation output going through some rough times the past year, DreamWorks was once again, able to capitalize on the need for an alternative. It started with last year's The Bad Guys, a well received adaptation of the graphic novels of the same name by Aaron Blabey. It's distinctive cartoony animation style set itself apart from the more realistic style of other animated features, including from DreamWorks themselves. But the real triumph for DreamWorks in 2022 was the release of Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. The sequel to the 2011 Shrek spin-off delivered one of the most critically acclaimed narratives of the year, and it did so on a budget of only $90 million. The upcoming films, such as Ruby Gillman: Teenage Krakken seem to be following in the footsteps of last year's hits.

So does anybody think DreamWorks has rightfully taken its place back as the "anti-Disney", being the edgy alternative to whatever mainstream direction Disney is following, or was The Last Wish a fluke, and we'll just go back to getting Boss Baby clones till the end of time?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Disney has that role as anti-Disney for a while now but thankfully iger and the board are cleaning house right now.

The first live action movie to make sense was just announced. Moana with the rock and the girl who played Moana. That’s like a no brainer.. but it’s still not perfect as why not just make a Moana 2? 😵‍💫

My theory is they want to quickly wash away the bad woke remake responses of Peter Pan and little mermaid.

Lasha

I'm not sure that I understand what anti-disney means. It makes some neat stuff like the trollhunters tv shows but it's otherwise similar to Disney except with more Nicolas cage.

Doom85

Dreamworks has always been a mixed bag of quality. For every one or two solid films they make, they’ll make one or two mid/terrible films.

Like, the last four years they had good-excellent films like How to Train Your Dragon 3, Abominable, Bad Guys, and Puss in Boots 2, but they also had Trolls 2, Spirit 2, and Boss Baby 2.

I rank the western animation studios:

Disney/Pixar > Laika > Dreamworks > Sony/Warner Bros (they‘re kind of all over the place in quality) >>>>>>>>>>> Illumination (…..well, Despicable Me 1 and 2 were fairly good, and hopefully Mario will be good. I can barely say anything positive about the rest of their filmography)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
In 1997, former president of Walt Disney Pictures Jeffery Katzenberg, teamed up with Steven Speilberg to form a new film and television company that hoped to take on the big boys called DreamWorks. The new start up included its own animation studio, which Katzenberg hoped could challenge Disney, who at the time was at the height of its animation renaissance.

Though DreamWorks put out some cult hits, it's biggest break came in 2001 with the release of Shrek. A film that subverted, parodied, and deconstructed the Disney fairy tale formula. Shrek became a massive success, catering to a counter-culture audience of movie goers who wanted an alternative to the squeaky clean, rubber-stamped Disney movies.

Today, DreamWorks as a company, exists exclusively as the animation studio, now owned by NBCUniversal. And in the years following Shrek, the studio's output progressively became more and more generic. What was once a brand that challenged itself to do what other animation studios wouldn't do, was now doing exactly what every theatrical animation studio in the industry was doing at the time (Celebrity voices, wise craking talking animals, obnoxious LOLsoRanam! humor) With the occasional gem like How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda thown in.

But that seems to be changing lately. With Disney and Pixar's animation output going through some rough times the past year, DreamWorks was once again, able to capitalize on the need for an alternative. It started with last year's The Bad Guys, a well received adaptation of the graphic novels of the same name by Aaron Blabey. It's distinctive cartoony animation style set itself apart from the more realistic style of other animated features, including from DreamWorks themselves. But the real triumph for DreamWorks in 2022 was the release of Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. The sequel to the 2011 Shrek spin-off delivered one of the most critically acclaimed narratives of the year, and it did so on a budget of only $90 million. The upcoming films, such as Ruby Gillman: Teenage Krakken seem to be following in the footsteps of last year's hits.

So does anybody think DreamWorks has rightfully taken its place back as the "anti-Disney", being the edgy alternative to whatever mainstream direction Disney is following, or was The Last Wish a fluke, and we'll just go back to getting Boss Baby clones till the end of time?
If we're being honest, Jeffery Katzenberg was anti-Disney. He was the same moron who believed 'no one' could ever compete against Disney in big pictures. Yet, Don Bluth's the Land Before Time smashed Oliver & Company (which he presumed would be better). That was in the late 80's. Dreamworks cannot be credited solely to people like Katzenburg or even Spielberg but the competition isn't 'anti-Disney.' They were showing that anyone could produce a large budgeted animated film with the same quality as Disney.

There's a large contrast when listening to Katzenberg about how much he actually knew about the animation market and was nothing more than a corporate head for Disney. Bluth speaks more like Disney in this. (Extra: the Bakshi bits too).

I'll also add that Katzenberg was the same idiot was deliberately ordered The Black Cauldron be 'cut up' when the original cut of the film would have put Disney back 'on top.'

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I loved their early movies. Prince Of Egypt, Chicken Run, Shrek, Road to Eldarado. But then they kind of lost their way after Madacasgar.

Just a sea of sequels and underwhelming new IPs.

Last edited:

kondorBonk

Disney/Pixar > Laika > Dreamworks > Sony/Warner Bros (they‘re kind of all over the place in quality) >>>>>>>>>>> Illumination

Yeah, I'd agree with this with only Laika taking #1. I don't think they've made a "bad" film. They may also be the closest to an "Anti-Disney" with their ideals (They seem to have more fun with horror themes and isolation), but really all major western animation studios pick films that are easily digestible. It's not bad by any stretch but movies aimed towards kids are probably greenlit easier with that in mind.

Outside of the obvious Adult Animation which kinda kills the conversations, the closest example I can think for "Anti-Disney" would by some Miyazaki movies. With some of their films having no major driving plot and focus more on aesthetics (Kikis Flying Delivery Service/My Neighbor Totoro) or not shying away as easily "damned" or "hopelessness" themes which can paint mankind itself as the driving villian (Nausicaa/ Spirited Away)

I loved their early movies. Prince Of Egypt, Chicken Run, Shrek, Road to Eldarado. But then they kind of lost their way after Madacasgar.

Just a sea of sequels and underwhelming new IPs.
Chicken Run was done by Aardman Animations in partnership with Dreamworks, they're the same people behind Wallace and Gromit. I haven't watched any of those aside from Chicken Run and Shrek, the latter of which is probably my favourite animated movie of all time.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Both Dreamworks and Sony Pictures Animation have surpassed Pixar/Disney in recent years.

I'd much rather watch Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, The Mitchells vs the Machines, The Bad Guys, and/or Puss in Boots: The Last Wish over Strange World, Lightyear, Raya and the Last Dragon, and/or Seeing Red.

Last edited:

otakuninja2006

Neo Member
Yep. Universal's the new King of theatrical animation.

But just like back then, we sure could use a alternative studi, especially with all this new software out and stuff.......

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
But the real triumph for DreamWorks in 2022 was the release of Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. The sequel to the 2011 Shrek spin-off delivered one of the most critically acclaimed narratives of the year, and it did so on a budget of only $90 million. The upcoming films, such as Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken seem to be following in the footsteps of last year's hits.

Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken completely bombed. That movie had a 70 million dollar budget, so it would have to make at least double that to make a profit. But the worldwide gross so far is only $30 million.

I'm not surprised that movie bombed. The trailer looks horrendous.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Puss in boots TLS was spectacular, but Ruby Gillman was just miserable. Visually it was ok with some nice color, though the character aesthetic had a wallace and gromit look without the stop motion claymation charm. But the plot and especially the characters, were TERRIBLE. The rough plot outline was okayish, and as yet ANOTHER tween girl "Coming of age and yer body is changing" story it was ok, but they filled it with wretched sidekicks and beta males. Though the idea that old men start hunting you the moment you hit puberty was perhaps an unintentional message. It needed more kaiju action but obviously that wasn't the intended audience.

They have another one coming up, Migration, about ducks or something. WTF? But the new Trolls looks fun, a boy band theme after the fun rock and roll one. I think I prefer DW over disney (of late) in general as they have more my sense of humor but they include a lot of topical stuff and too obvious voice casting that kinda dates their stuff without the timelessness of classic disney. Though CG anything automatically feels dated compared to 2D IMHO, so had Shrek been a traditional cartoon I'm not sure how much better it would fare looking back at it.

Edit: Migration is actually Illumination Studios, the minions folks, so not DreamWorks. I find illumination stuff to be more straight kids level than Dreamworks.

Last edited:
Disney's Pixar makes dreadfully mediocre animated films. Last decent film their other studios put out was Frozen in 2013. I love Disney's live-action Pirates of the Caribbean franchise on the other hand.

DreamWorks releases vary more in quality (and are all animated), but Puss in Boots: The Last Wish released at the end of 2022 was a banger. I don't know about their role as anti-Disney but they are formidable competition.

I find myself repping Dreamworks because of one movie and that's Shrek. I haven't even watched any of their latest stuff, but I'd take them over Pixar because their movies always appear soulless to me for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with Disney purchasing them?

otakuninja2006

Neo Member
Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken completely bombed. That movie had a 70 million dollar budget, so it would have to make at least double that to make a profit. But the worldwide gross so far is only $30 million.

Wait, remember what we all said about Elemental? It had a bad start, but it's getting better now, and it's actually a hit in other countries, such as Korea.

Yeah, when I saw the trailers and stuff, it looked stupid to me.
Though the idea that old men start hunting you the moment you hit puberty was perhaps an unintentional message. It needed more kaiju action but obviously that wasn't the intended audience.
Right. I have no intention of seeing that movie, but it could have used a kaiju action battle........
They have another one coming up, Migration, about ducks or something. WTF? But the new Trolls looks fun, a boy band theme after the fun rock and roll one. I think I prefer DW over disney (of late) in general as they have more my sense of humor but they include a lot of topical stuff and too obvious voice casting that kinda dates their stuff without the timelessness of classic disney. Though CG anything automatically feels dated compared to 2D IMHO, so had Shrek been a traditional cartoon I'm not sure how much better it would fare looking back at it.
Yeah, I'm kinda lost on what Migration is myself......
Edit: Migration is actually Illumination Studios, the minions folks, so not DreamWorks. I find illumination stuff to be more straight kids level than Dreamworks.
Exactly. Dreamworks is better, but they have the Mario movie which was a masterpiece!
Disney's Pixar makes dreadfully mediocre animated films. Last decent film their other studios put out was Frozen in 2013. I love Disney's live-action Pirates of the Caribbean franchise on the other hand.

DreamWorks releases vary more in quality (and are all animated), but Puss in Boots: The Last Wish released at the end of 2022 was a banger. I don't know about their role as anti-Disney but they are formidable competition.
Right, like, I NEVER liked Frozen, even when I was younger.
I find myself repping Dreamworks because of one movie and that's Shrek. I haven't even watched any of their latest stuff, but I'd take them over Pixar because their movies always appear soulless to me for some reason. Maybe it has something to do with Disney purchasing them?
Definitely with Disney buying them out. If Walt Disney was here to see this, Pixar would be so much better, in fact, I'm sure Disney wouldn't have even brought Pixar in the first place.

Top Bottom