• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

Free form displays mean that they don't have to be limited to the largest rectangle that fits in the front of a smartphone anymore. What looks weird now, will look normal tomorrow.

Already iconic tbh.

you can not make that look normal when it's cutting shit out of videos you watch as seen in the OP.

so unless films/tv/video factor in the fact that non rectangle looking shit off to the left (right) side in landscape or apple fixes video ratio (ha) that ain't happening

Breakage

The iPhone X is like when you buy a new TV that has one of those stickers in one of the corners. Except you can't actually remove the notch...
Yeah, that's exactly what I think every time I see it. You just want to rip it off. It's unreal that it made into the final design. If you want to full screen your video content, you'll have to put up with the fact that part of the picture will be permanently obscured.

Mindwipe

But does Samsung have a cult of personality like Apple where people will shell out the money for the new phone and support Apples courage to remove the headphone jack by either buying expensive apple Bluetooth earbuds or an expensive adapter to get a headphone jack back? I don't think so.

Yeah they do. They have this really weird advocate/superfan programme (at least they did) where they do all sorts for evangelists, but it all goes a bit weird and like the Sea-Org.

...Samsung copying Apple again.

Chindogg

Where did all of these companies get the idea on how to make a smartphone from?

This thread is pretty toxic.

Blackberry? Prada also made an all screen phone before the iPhone.

Apple popularized it, but they didn't do it first by any stretch. And yes Apple's mantra for a while has been "take competitor's feature then pretend it's an innovation by hiding it around design."

Yeah they do. They have this really weird advocate/superfan programme (at least they did) where they do all sorts for evangelists, but it all goes a bit weird and like the Sea-Org.

...Samsung copying Apple again.

Yeah I think more of the Android populace has encircled around the Galaxy but the real cult of personality are Nexus users who prefer "pure" Android.

WillyFive

The iPhone X is so ugly it's hard to believe it came from Apple. That huge cut out bezel at the top is against all their design philosophies and looks extremely awful. Not only that, it's not innovative at all, Samsung did it better.

If it wasn't for Samsung producing explosives that were banned from airplanes that one year, a lot less people would be paying attention to this.

Fbh

I really don't understand the obsession with removing bezels, can someone fill me in?

Watching a video on an S8 is an uncomfortable balancing act of trying not to touch the screen, it aggravates me every time.

We have reached a point where high end phones are really responsive, have great screens, great cameras and lots of features.

It's getting to the point where the usual 30% boost on the cpu and slight camera improvements have entered the territory of diminishing returns for the vast majority of people.

So it sort of makes sense to focus on something that wasn't really an issue but that will have a big visual impact ...at least at first glance.

ec0ec0

you can not make that look normal when it's cutting shit out of videos you watch as seen in the OP.

so unless films/tv/video factor in the fact that non rectangle looking shit off to the left (right) side in landscape or apple fixes video ratio (ha) that ain't happening

The "notch" wouldn't come into play with 16:9 video, right? So how common would it be for it to cover part of the video? How common is/isn't 16:9 for YouTube, Netflix, films, etc...

bionic77

Blackberry? Prada also made an all screen phone before the iPhone.

Apple popularized it, but they didn't do it first by any stretch. And yes Apple's mantra for a while has been "take competitor's feature then pretend it's an innovation by hiding it around design."

Yeah I think more of the Android populace has encircled around the Galaxy but the real cult of personality are Nexus users who prefer "pure" Android.
There was nothing like the iPhone when it came out.

Saying anything else is just wrong.

LeleSocho

Banned
This can be called bezel-less:

samsung-galaxy-s8-review-aa-40-of-43-840x473.jpg

If the iPhone can't then this can't either or vice versa, the S8 has side bezels but the curvature of the screen tricks you, that's a subpar approach though because while it gives you the sensation of "true borderless" it screws up functionality big time.
Bezel-less today just means narrow bezels all around.

S8 gets the wow factor but not the functionality, iPhone gets the functionality (kinda) but not the wow factor.
The difference is that in the past Apple would have gotten both but now competition is much much better.

Can someone list some applications for the new A11 chip? I guess it will boot apps and render websites slightly faster but what else can it do? what are the cutting edge games and apps that will use this power?

Oh yeah it can 4k at 60fps as well

Futureman

If the iPhone can't then this can't either or vice versa, the S8 has side bezels but the curvature of the screen tricks you, that's a subpar approach though because while it gives you the sensation of "true borderless" it screws up functionality big time.
Bezel-less today just means narrow bezels all around.

What kind of functionality does it screw up?

Chindogg

There was nothing like the iPhone when it came out.

Saying anything else is just wrong.

That's great, but it really doesn't dispute the part where Apple takes other features then claims them as their innovations obfuscated by design.

If you love the iOS experience and design, that's great. You do you. But don't try to bullshit that Apple hasn't been coasting for the last few years to where many competitors have started to beat it in design and features.

The camera taking a big chunk out of the screen kinda hurts it's advertisement for bezel-less design, as well as it taking up a part of the screen. That and the fact there's a bezel there.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I really don't understand the obsession with removing bezels, can someone fill me in?

Watching a video on an S8 is an uncomfortable balancing act of trying not to touch the screen, it aggravates me every time.

Personally, I rather like having a bit of a border around the screen. It's framing.

The S8 has visible top and bottom bezels. The X has no bezels, just a notch for the cameras and sensors.

no bezels? what do you call that ugly bumber around the entire phone. it's quite huge.
wouldn't surprise me if the S8 has a lower % of bezel to screen ratio.

kmfdmpig

I think the Note looks better to me. The iPhone X looks good, however. The black cutout of the X seems like a smart design when it's in portrait, but seeing how it's used for video is unfortunate. Literally cutting out a portion of video content is distracting and concerning. Hopefully that'll be an option that can be changed, although doing so will remove the aspect ratio advantage that iPhone X has for video.
The speed of the iPhone is quite impressive, but the pen and expandable memory of the Note is as well, although that's something that not everyone will care about.
Cook's comment about this being the first OLED screen good enough for iPhone was laughable, however, as the Samsung screens have been better than Apple's for years in a range of measures from resolution, black levels, etc... and Samsung likely makes the screens Apple will use on the X anyway.

I doubt people with either the Note 8 or the iPhone X will feel like they're settling. They both look to be great phones.

Assanova

I would have switched to a Samsung if it wasn't for all of the bloatware. I had it on my Note 2 and hated that extra crap on my phone that I couldn't easily get rid of.

I would have switched to a Samsung if it wasn't for all of the bloatware. I had it on my Note 2 and hated that extra crap on my phone that I couldn't easily get rid of.

i used to avoid them as well but i don't really have much bloat on my s7 and you can hide every app.

bionic77

That's great, but it really doesn't dispute the part where Apple takes other features then claims them as their innovations obfuscated by design.

If you love the iOS experience and design, that's great. You do you. But don't try to bullshit that Apple hasn't been coasting for the last few years to where many competitors have started to beat it in design and features.

The camera taking a big chunk out of the screen kinda hurts it's advertisement for bezel-less design, as well as it taking up a part of the screen. That and the fact there's a bezel there.
Apple does not invent everything and they are pretentious but I was responding to someone who basically said Apple never did anything innovative.

That's absurd when they made the iPhone which is the most disruptive product we have seen since the PC.

Jules

Neo Member
I was an apple user from the beginning and switched to the Samsung S8 in May and haven't looked back! I miss NOTHING about the Apple platform. My pictures and video are amazing and the phone is so much easier to use. The apps don't seem to take up as much memory either. I doubt i'll ever have another iPhone. Oh, and the Apple price? No thanks.

LeleSocho

Banned

Content get lost in the curve and its reflections and lots of accidental touches.

I don't either, the fact that we lose the standard 16:9 screen is pretty bad imho and you can put lots of nifty things in the border without making the phone look ugly.

I'm far happier with the iPhone 8 than the X in fact.

I bought an S8 for the first time this year and I thought the X reveal was pretty embarrassing for Apple so I can't imagine going back soon. I don't know about "out-Appling" them, but Samsung is definitely making more appealing products right now.

The iPhone X is so ugly it's hard to believe it came from Apple. That huge cut out bezel at the top is against all their design philosophies and looks extremely awful. Not only that, it's not innovative at all, Samsung did it better.

If it wasn't for Samsung producing explosives that were banned from airplanes that one year, a lot less people would be paying attention to this.
The explosives thing did not do them any favors lol

Fliesen

Does Apple actually call the iPhone X "bezel less"?

On apple.com i can only find

It's all screen.
(which is clearly not to be taken literally, since no device is 'all screen')
and:
The display employs new techniques and technology to precisely follow the curves of the design, all the way to the elegantly rounded corners.

i mean, while the S8 definitely has a screen that "wraps around the bezel" i'm not sure we can hold Apple accountable for outlets using 'bezel-less' as a shorthand for what phone manufacturers, be it LG, Apple, Samsung or Essential, are currently doing with regards to maximizing screen real estate while minimizing overall device dimensions.

ec0ec0

Seems pretty simple, really.

Imagine someone has an iPhone 7, but would like to have the bigger screen of the iPhone 7 plus. However, they don't find the plus model to be comfortable to hold/use, as they find it to be too big.

Without bezels, they can have the bigger screen, while maintaining the same body size.

Hasn't the bloat ware issue with Samsung been a non factor for several years now? The s8 is my first Samsung since the s3 and it's a world of difference.

There's always been a better android alternative to the iPhone imho. I've gone from HTC to galaxy s3 to LG G3 (my favourite of all time) to LG G5 (not so great) to the S8 now and adore it.

I felt silly for not at least waiting until the new iPhone was revealed before getting the s8. Smartest thing I've done. Love this phone.

Do Apple phones have bloatware? I remember there being apps I couldn't remove like newsstand and such.

Chindogg

Apple does not invent everything and they are pretentious but I was responding to someone who basically said Apple never did anything innovative.

That's absurd when they made the iPhone which is the most disruptive product we have seen since the PC.

That's fair, but also to be fair that was a decade ago. And many other phone companies were already reaching that point in design. Apple was just the first to put it together.

LeleSocho

Banned
Do Apple phones have bloatware? I remember there being apps I couldn't remove like newsstand and such.

Yup. Stocks and stuff too. Had a folder on my old iPhone called "can't delete" that I never touched.

It's been at least a year since you can make default apps disappear.
They didn't bloat anything anyway though unlike Samsung ones that created processes in the background that slow the phone down.

kmfdmpig

i like that they're saying the OLED screen in the X is the first one that was "worthy" of being in an iPhone.

Yeah that line made me lol as the OLED screens on Samsung flagships have blown Apple out of the water for years in terms of resolution, clarity, black levels, etc...
I was looking at my Note Edge the other day and marveled how good the screen looked, particularly for such an old phone. I've never had that feeling when using my wife's iPhone 5 or 7+.

jm89

Hasn't the bloat ware issue with Samsung been a non factor for several years now? The s8 is my first Samsung since the s3 and it's a world of difference.

There's always been a better android alternative to the iPhone imho. I've gone from HTC to galaxy s3 to LG G3 (my favourite of all time) to LG G5 (not so great) to the S8 now and adore it.

I felt silly for not at least waiting until the new iPhone was revealed before getting the s8. Smartest thing I've done. Love this phone.

The bloatware thing has been way overblown for years now. The worst offenders are actually not apple fans it is the stock android fanboys.

That's fair, but also to be fair that was a decade ago. And many other phone companies were already reaching that point in design. Apple was just the first to put it together.

I dunno. I think you have to give apple credit for showing the world what a smartphone should be. Yes, all the features of the iPhone were present elsewhere but put altogether, presented well, with high quality design and usability the first iPhone was more than the sum of its parts.It was obviously a landmark moment. The issue is that the pace of smartphone design is so fast and so competitive (because people buy these expensive products so often) that it's hard to make a mark anymore.

LeleSocho

Banned
Yeah that line made me lol as the OLED screens on Samsung flagships have blown Apple out of the water for years in terms of resolution, clarity, black levels, etc...
I was looking at my Note Edge the other day and marveled how good the screen looked, particularly for such an old phone. I've never had that feeling when using my wife's iPhone 5 or 7+.

You laughed at them for all the wrong reasons then, Apple's lcd displays have been systematically more accurate and at least on par if not better than the competitors every year in every category aside from contrast (and resolution i guess but that's a moot point once you've reached certain ppi).

Irminsul

I don't get why you would want to make sure everyone notices the cutout.

iphone8statusbarmockuo1kgd.jpg

If you look at these mockups, the leftmost looks by far the best to me. It's great use of an OLED screen as well, because the status icons are white on black. And you still get the effect of "Whoa, there's screen space next to the speaker and front camera!"

Guevara

I actually think the iPhone X looks great in most ways. I like the notch and rounded screen corners. It feels like a massive upgrade from the iPhone 6 and 7 (to me), almost like opening your eyes wider.

The home button/bar seems like it works well in portrait mode.

One think I don't like is in landscape mode:

2pAk32t.png

Here, the home bar at the bottom of the iPhone X screws up the layout and ratio buy restricting the safe area (green).

tbm24

Content get lost in the curve and its reflections and lots of accidental touches.
What content is lost in the curve? I genuinely haven't noticed anything I could blame on the curve. Honestly majority of the time I don't even register that the screen has a curve. It's must less pronounced that it was on the S7. Same goes for accidental touches, I don't do much besides text, browse the web, and music/video/radio.

LeleSocho

Banned
What content is lost in the curve? I genuinely haven't noticed anything I could blame on the curve. Honestly majority of the time I don't even register that the screen has a curve. It's must less pronounced that it was on the S7. Same goes for accidental touches, I don't do much besides text, browse the web, and music/video/radio.

Any content that does fill up the screen is bound to be lost within the curve just like it will happen with iPhone and the notch.

Fliesen

I don't get why you would want to make sure everyone notices the cutout.

iphone8statusbarmockuo1kgd.jpg

If you look at these mockups, the leftmost looks by far the best to me. It's great use of an OLED screen as well, because the status icons are white on black. And you still get the effect of "Whoa, there's screen space next to the speaker and front camera!"

i think it's about embracing the cut-out and making it the de facto new "iconic face" of the iPhone going forward, just like the rectangular screen with the round homebutton before. - There's no doubt in my mind that Apple could have reduced the top and bottom bezels way earlier, by maybe making a slightly smaller / flatter home-button. But that would have made them move away from their iconic industrial design just for some stop-gap generation of iPhones.

you know.
xournxE.png

being the new
5Cz53EX.png

akileese

I don't get why they just didn't add a full bar like the S8/S8+. It looks really good aesthetically.

The iPhone X just looks...baffling the more I look at it. That sorta half bezel at the top that's all cut out just looks weird. The Mi Mix 2 put their front facing camera on the bottom which still feels goofy. I think Samsung did it best.

Ripenen

I haven't tried the S8. I have the S7 and like everything except that curved edge. It creates glare, it's awkward to hold, awkward to touch, and really has no benefit I've discovered after using it for over a year. Is it going to be the standard from now on in Samsung Galaxy phones?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The S8 is definitely the prettier phone, but I'll take the slight inconvenience of that notch for the technology packed into their any day of the week. If we're talking innovation, ball is back in Samsung's court as of yesterday. Also it's nowhere near as ugly as people make it sound, and actually condenses a lot of indicators from what it mostly unused space at the top of the phone. It's a surprising marriage between software and hardware in that regard.

The Essential Phone, Mi Mix, and perhaps even S8 jumped on the edge-to-edge display stuff only after it was rumoured Apple was working on it yeaaaaaaaaars ago, to beat them to market. Before then it was pretty much standard fair.

Top Bottom