• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

Yup. The Note 8 is also horrifically expensive, so the iPhone X is hardly an outlier in that regard.
I wonder if Samsung and Apple's price increases will lead to a slowdown in the pace of phone upgrades for many users. Obviously the bleeding edge people will still go for the latest and greatest, but for many users I think upgrading every 18 months or 24 months becomes less likely when the price of doing so is ~900-1100 as opposed to 700-800. If that does happen, in the long term, Samsung and Apple may regret encouraging users to hang onto their devices for longer.
With that said, I understand why the prices are going up. The processors are quite impressive, they have a fair amount of RAM, decent storage space, impressive screens, luxurious materials. They're not cheap to make or market. For Apple and Samsung they have to focus on differentiating themselves from the many mid-tier offerings.

True on that.

I can't really fathom how a phone could offer me more than the S8+. I thought the same about my S7 Edge though so YMMV. The backplate fingerprint sensor is legit and the screen on the S8+ is just so fucking insane.

The iPhone X looks like an off-shoot Android Phone.

I guess it's meant to be the iPad Pro of iPhones, but it looks more like some kind of experimental model that they weren't sure about going all-in on. So they made the 8s just as a backup plan for those who weren't "brave" enough.

The 7S and the 8 are fine. Now you've got me weary about the 9.
You mean the SX?

But yeah I find the 8 to be fantastic, coming from mostly Nexus devices before I don't see much bloat like Samsung used to have.

Bloat has become a non issue on Galaxy phones.

The next Galaxy should be fine. I mostly expect them to copy some stuff from Apple (faceid, camera features) and keep doing what they are doing since the S7.

But I don't think Samsung has out appled Apple. They were always playing catch up before but now it's a cat and mouse on whoever releases the new shiny thing first (samsung with the no bezels, apple with faceid)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Putting the camera in a small top bezel and then using a tiny sliver at the top of the screen for the status bar is a much more elegant solution. You can even chose to hide the status bar on Android so as to not lose more screen.

I mean, agree to disagree and all of that. I like having the status info while not having to hide it to get that real estate back.

we are basically talking about a vanilla vs. chocolate preference here.

ZOONAMI

Meanwhile everyone keeps sleeping on LG with the beautiful G6 and V30, with fingerprint scanners in a place that actually makes sense.

V30 will most likely be my next jod device. Rocking a G6 right now. I'll most likely wait until a while after v30 launch when it inevitably hits like a $500 price point because no one buys LGs phones.

I have been really wary of the hardware and pricing decisions Apple has been making in recent years, but for me ultimately it comes down to the software. Every time I use Android it just feels wrong. I think the whole ecosystem has been mismanaged at pretty much every turn, and every time Google seems like they are going to get a tighter grip on things, they don't follow through.

I look at the various options of Android phones out there and some of the form factors and features are really appealing to me. But if I'm stuck without iOS, it means nothing.

Melon Husk

Apple's gonna provide the best user experience, but otherwise yes. Perhaps Apple's n-th comeback comes when AR takes off and they happen to have the strongest mobile GPUs.

womfalcs3

Banned
Meanwhile everyone keeps sleeping on LG with the beautiful G6 and V30, with fingerprint scanners in a place that actually makes sense.

V30 will most likely be my next jod device. Rocking a G6 right now. I'll most likely wait until a while after v30 launch when it inevitably hits like a $500 price point because no one buys LGs phones.
I know, right? Got a G6 for 400 bucks two weeks ago.

LG screwed up with all the bootloop issues on previous phones, unfortunately.

Apple's gonna provide the best user experience, but otherwise yes. Perhaps Apple's n-th comeback comes when AR takes off and they happen to have the strongest mobile GPUs.

Samsung will be right there though.

Pretty much all we need for good AR to take off is long-range proximity sensors on the back of the phones. Cameras by themselves aren't going to cut it. You need your phone to be able to measure distances to objects and outline them so that the apps can rely on actual telemetry instead of camera tricks to work within the actual physical spaces we are occupying. That's when you can use AR to morph what we see through our phones into whatever crazy ideas developers come up with.

We've seen stuff like this demo'd:

HYPER-REALITY_A5.gif

That's just the tip of the iceberg. We just need more sensors on the back of the phone scanning stuff.

No, not even close.

Care to explain?

OP's post isn't anything new. Tons of articles/discussion about this on the web.

Samsung has led in innovation/quality/features since the S7. They led in battery and screen since the S4 really. It's just the way it is.

Apple's power has been their environment - not their innovation. Things have changed since 2006.

Nafai1123

Banned
If we existed in a world where the iPhone X looked like the S8 and the S8 looked like the X Apple stans would be creaming their pants and shitting all over Samsung.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I ask this out of genuine curiosity, not as an argument. What are the key differences? My car has both and I've used CarPlay a few times with my wife's iPhone and Android Auto regularly with my phone. They seemed fairly comparable in terms of capability, but like I said I didn't get enough time with CarPlay to fairly judge.
For me being able to use maps, listen to/respond to texts (which admittedly is not perfect on Android Auto as it has an annoying tendency to add "message" from "what's the message" into the beginning of my outgoing texts, and listen to podcasts is just about perfect with the occasional "OK Google" query providing the rest of what I'd want like weather reports, etc...

I wish I could be specific - I have never used Android Auto, but by all accounts, Carplay is faster, smoother, more reliable and has more apps - I continue to monitor this because it's the main driver for my phone ecosystem - and if it changes I don't care about other IOS ecosystem stuff.

And make no mistake Apple Carplay is buggy as hell and inconsistent (even ignoring the specific issues with some car models and setups), but sounds like the lesser of two evils.

jett

D-Member
The X is such a poor design. That notch will never not be the worst.

Apple jumped the shark post Jobs. Lots of half baked products with poorly thought out design. They've still got fans and momentum, so it won't show in sales anytime soon, but they're slipping.

Honestly Apple hasn't done anything interesting since Jobs passed away.

borghe

Samsung will be right there though.

Pretty much all we need for good AR to take off is long-range proximity sensors on the back of the phones. Cameras by themselves aren't going to cut it. You need your phone to be able to measure distances to objects and outline them so that the apps can rely on actual telemetry instead of camera tricks to work within the actual physical spaces we are occupying. That's when you can use AR to morph what we see through our phones into whatever crazy ideas developers come up with.

We've seen stuff like this demo'd:

HYPER-REALITY_A5.gif

That's just the tip of the iceberg. We just need more sensors on the back of the phone scanning stuff.

but we are already really close to that on the 8+ and X because of the dual cameras combined with the internal sensors. Go look at plenty of ARKit demos with stuff like rulers, distances, etc. Obviously eventually TrueDepth will be added to the back.. but just the two different focal lengths combined with internal sensors gets us over 50% of the way there.

Honestly Apple hasn't done anything interesting since Jobs passed away.

I mean nothing except establish THE best mobile SoC design standard, establish biometrics as the de facto method of securing your device, continues pushing mobile photography in an arms race with only 1-2 other serious players, and has the most practically functional wearable.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I wish I could be specific - I have never used Android Auto, but by all accounts, Carplay is faster, smoother, more reliable and has more apps - I continue to monitor this because it's the main driver for my phone ecosystem - and if it changes I don't care about other IOS ecosystem stuff.

And make no mistake Apple Carplay is buggy as hell and inconsistent (even ignoring the specific issues with some car models and setups), but sounds like the lesser of two evils.

Oh! And one thing that drives me nuts about Carplay, is Siri won't do ANY intenet stuff. I can post rage tweets from the Car's system, but not Carplay. My idea of a Diary of a Road rage Connoisseur is ruined. But she won't even do normal, useful, safe stuff like Flight status or appointments.

jett

D-Member
Not at all. I think the iPhone X is both sexier and more futuristic looking.

And I’m pretty sure it will start a new trend in smartphone design.

Come back to us in a couple of years and check which phone was more impactful in the industry.

The Apple kool-aid must have been spiked with some strong stuff.

ec0ec0

You realize the competition still has one or two front bezels for the frontal camera + sensors (and others), just on the iPhone X the bezel is just for that instead of taking the entire width of the phone. It can emulate a full width bezel by turning off that part of the display. Hence why the the front of the phone only comes in black. It can both utilize that extra real estate (for status bar icons for example) or be like the competition. Best of both worlds.

Objectively better.

It can't be like the competition just by turning the top of the screen to black, because their competitors screens are simetrical (all four cornes are equal). Even if they turn the area to each side of the "notch" to black, the top corners would be smaller/less rounded that the botton ones, making the phone look weird. Therefore, appart from adding a virtual "bezel" on the top (which would take away a bit of the screen), they would also have to add another "bezel" on the botton (which would, again, take another bit of the sreen).

No?

Socivol

Samsung has been killing Apple with designs lately which is hilarious since they used to steal designs from Apple. Apple has fans that will buy anything they put out so they don't really have the motivation to innovate anymore.

The iPhone 8 uses a similar design to the 6 which came out in 2014....but the X looks so amateurish. I really don't know what they were thinking when it came to the designs of these phones. The backs of the phones look super generic and cheap too.

If we existed in a world where the iPhone X looked like the S8 and the S8 looked like the X Apple stans would be creaming their pants and shitting all over Samsung.

My favorite "Apple fan shitting on Samsung" thing is the "bottom audio jack and USB-C port don't align on the center x axis".

That seems like such an insane thing to complain compare to the "screen haircut."

jett

D-Member
I don't get why you would want to make sure everyone notices the cutout.

iphone8statusbarmockuo1kgd.jpg

If you look at these mockups, the leftmost looks by far the best to me. It's great use of an OLED screen as well, because the status icons are white on black. And you still get the effect of "Whoa, there's screen space next to the speaker and front camera!"

At least having the option to make those two little lapels look like that would be smart.

Servbot24

Banned
I do wonder why Apple felt iPhone X was significant enough to restart the branding and treat it like the start of something new, blah blah

Basically the screen is bigger (which has been a draw for practically every new phone for many years) and it can ID your face (basically a less convenient version of touch ID).

I like cool tech and sometimes buy it needlessly. But I don't really understand the vision for where phones are actually going. Or maybe they're fine as they are and don't need to improve that much.

Jeff-DSA

I haven't used a Samsung phone since the Galaxy S6 (which I jumped from fairly quickly to get on the Nexus line), but it was probably around that time that Samsung Galaxy S line pretty firmly surpassed the iPhone and I don't think they've ever looked back. My wife got the Galaxy S8 and that phone is far more exciting than even the iPhone X.

Apple has been treading water for quite some time. They have a fantastic product, but they're not a leader in design anymore. They just do what they do very well. They also do what others did first and claim that they're doing it first very well.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Stories trending in mainstream media (and some tech sites):

"What is OLED?"

"Why do I need wireless charging?"

Sigh.

Jerry

I have been really wary of the hardware and pricing decisions Apple has been making in recent years, but for me ultimately it comes down to the software. Every time I use Android it just feels wrong. I think the whole ecosystem has been mismanaged at pretty much every turn, and every time Google seems like they are going to get a tighter grip on things, they don't follow through.

I look at the various options of Android phones out there and some of the form factors and features are really appealing to me. But if I'm stuck without iOS, it means nothing.

Stop being so reasonable!!

I agree completely. Phone hardware is much of a muchness these days.

The points being banded about in this thread are such tiny straws to clutch at when compared to the differences in software. And ultimately it is software that you will be interacting with day to day.

borghe

At least having the option to make those two little lapels look like that would be smart.

I mean I'd say it's pretty clearly to avoid burn in. either of the first two causes a large imbalance of active time between pixels "in the bezel" and pixels "in the screen". so now you have two options.. either prevent developers from EVER using that space, or if you do allow them, run into the problem of the burn in becoming obvious.

the only real choice is to run the bezel along the top or do what apple did. clearly their choice is divisive. but what's done is done (split screen) and their display option is the least destructive to the screen in the long run.

I do wonder why Apple felt iPhone X was significant enough to restart the branding and treat it like the start of something new, blah blah

Basically the screen is bigger (which has been a draw for practically every new phone for many years) and it can ID your face (basically a less convenient version of touch ID).

I like cool tech and sometimes buy it needlessly. But I don't really understand the vision for where phones are actually going. Or maybe they're fine as they are and don't need to improve that much.
my "guess" is the future is AR.. just waiting for that "DAMN!!!" moment. And in that regard, Apple's SoC (compute, graphics, and sensors) are so far ahead of everyone else they are really well placed right now.

Jeff-DSA

"What is OLED?"

Sigh.

I can't imagine how annoying that is for people who actually get into fanboy phone wars. Even Samsung mid-range phones have had these features for a long time.

Socivol

From all of the analyst rumors this phone was supposed to be more revolutionary than it turned out to be and I'm thinking that's why it seems so weird. They were supposedly going to have all of the sensors under the screen which would've been cool and a touch ID sensor under the screen as well. I think what we are getting is just the compromised version of what they set out to do and next year they will launch the phone the envisioned to launch this year.

It always surprises me when people say this. When my girlfriend had an iPhone, I dreaded every time she asked me to fix something on it; iOS just feels so counter-intuitive and dated. It might be a bit snappier, but from a settings standpoint, everything seems to be in the worst possible place.

I find the same issues with macOS, so maybe I just clash with Apple's software design in general.

"What is OLED?"

Sigh.

I thought the Face ID would be more criticized. Why do we need it? or Do we really need it? With Touch ID, I can unlock my phone without even lifting it to my face. I can even unlock it while in the pocket.

Mindwipe

I feel the exact opposite to be blunt. Apple has made some howlers with iOS, and acquired an awful lot of technical debt as they keep re-engineering the UI paradigms while fighting a losing battle on key concepts (iOS now has file browsing, but it feels bolted on because it is).

iOS has fallen behind on a lot of UI paradigms too. Selecting WiFi networks is torturous. Purchasing from major providers is a pain in the ass due to Apple's restriction to its own in app purchasing system. Not being able to set defaults harms the entire ecosystem by propping up terrible default applications that the market would otherwise have cast aside. Notification management on iOS is a shambles.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

I'm not sleeping on LG. I've been using LG since the G3. I've been using V10 for 2 years. I love the manual controls on the camera. I was going to upgrade to a G6 but I might hold out for a V30 it all depends on the price. I'm not paying over $800 for any phone.

Fhtagn

So much of this thread reads like bizzaro world to me that I don't even know if it's worth replying to any particular post. It's funny how intensely sure we all seem to be about what is "best" or not; I'm including myself in that criticism, fwiw.

I feel the exact opposite to be blunt. Apple has made some howlers with iOS, and acquired an awful lot of technical debt as they keep re-engineering the UI paradigms while fighting a losing battle on key concepts (iOS now has file browsing, but it feels bolted on because it is).

iOS has fallen behind on a lot of UI paradigms too. Selecting WiFi networks is torturous. Purchasing from major providers is a pain in the ass due to Apple's restriction to its own in app purchasing system. Not being able to set defaults harms the entire ecosystem by propping up terrible default applications that the market would otherwise have cast aside. Notification management on iOS is a shambles.

I would have agreed with you for the first several years of the iPhone's existence. I jailbroke my phone for a while because there were things I felt like I couldn't live without. But with every iOS release, Apple has incrementally removed all the major mental barriers for me and now I use my phone with complete ease and I haven't even considered jailbreaking in years. I just don't see anything significant that it adds.

The big feature (one you mentioned) that I would love to see iOS adopt is being able to choose alternate default apps. It would be really nice, but it's not even close to a deal-breaker for me. Which is good, because I don't think Apple will ever do it.

And none of this is to say Android is outright bad. I think it has gotten significantly better over the years. But there is still so much of it that feels inelegant compared to iOS. (And that's just talking about stock Android, not the various bullshit implementations that manufacturers slap on top of it.) And I think the third-party developers on iOS typically make better apps than on Android.

Top Bottom