• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have cheap digital games changed what you consider to be a 'good price' for a game?

nded

I'll still buy games full price, day one if sufficiently hyped. I think I do this at about the same frequency since the 90s, that is two or three times a year.

The only real difference now is that cheap digital games have replaced used games as impulse buys.

Trago

This is why I get pissed at Nintendo! Their games never go down in price like that. And buying digital on their platform is a joke in itself.

So I just bite the bullet and go physical around launch period for games I'll play from them. Games that I have little to no interest in playing just get left alone, or bought when their's a rare price drop.

I don't wanna pay $60 for the new Yoshi game!

Slashlen

It depends on the game. There are games that I'd consider "good". They're well made, I enjoy playing them, and I generally feel like I get my money's worth out of them. But I don't consider them amazing. When one comes out I say that looks cool, I should pick that up sometime. The problem is that there are so many games like that these days. I will see games at a price that in a vacuum seem very reasonable, but there's so much that meets that bar, why not get the ones that are cheap now and wait on the others?

But there are still the "great" games. The ones that I really do get excited for, that I want to play through right away because I've been eagerly waiting for them. Those I'm willing to pay up for, and that hasn't changed. They're still usually rare enough that it doesn't make sense to wait for a discount, 1st half of 2017 notwithstanding.

On my end, the main issue is that discoverability is now very difficult. Finding good games is kind of pointless, there's plenty of them already. Especially if they're a bit pricey(relative to everything else). I recently ran into this with The House in Fata Morgana. It's a VN that I heard about well after it came out, and while I didn't see a lot of buzz, what I saw was intensely positive. I check out the Steam page and I'm interested, enough to put it on the wishlist, and I check out the page several times again later, it's like that item that catches your eye at the store that you spend too much time thinking over, but ultimately decide to wait on. And looking at the price, I'm fairly certain that game would have spent years there. Fortunately, several gaffers who wanted the game to get some attention recently did some giveaways and I decided to enter and I won. The game really is a hidden gem, it's well above that merely "good" tier. There's supposed to be a sequel(or expansion?) in the works, and that one isn't going to languish on the wishlist for years. That dev has my attention.

For devs, while that method probably isn't realistic, I think the takeaway is that being "good" really isn't good enough. You have to be above the sea of simply "good" games. People need to think that you're something special, that you're worth not waiting on. Easier said than done, though.

Chris R

Cheap digital games just means I don't buy most AAAs on day one. I can wait and grab them at $20 two years down the road and play them then with a huge backlog.

EdgeXL

I admit that it has. Last generation I generally bought digital games only when they were 50% off or more unless it was from a studio I really wanted to support.

Nowadays I wait for the 75% off or more sales because I know they will come. On the other hand, I rarely buy physical now so I preorder a lot of digital titles from companies I feel deserve my money.

The exception is Nintendo. Their core titles won't go on sale for much and take forever to get any type of discount so I typically pay full price.

Cheap games have changed my opinion, but free to play games have made me realize it's worth paying for a game to not waste my time.

PC gaming has changed me.
I never pay over 35 for a new AAA game.
Consoles are now only for exclusives.
And only Nintendo ones I'll pay in full.

Xyzzy J

Banned
Absolutely. Steam ruined me. I remember the days when 360 new release titles were $120 AUD. I would NEVER pay that much for a game anymore. Having said that, I'll still pre-order console titles I'm extremely excited about. In the last few years, that's only been Halo 5 and GTA V, though, so it's not as if it's a common thing for me. I'm willing to spend more money on console games basically because I'm not used to them being cheap. With PC games, though, I reckon the last game I bought off Steam worth $40 or over was the Orange Box in about 08 or 09. I'm just not that desperate to play super new stuff anymore. I'm happy to wait a year (or longer) for things to drop down in price.

tesqui

I rarely buy games at 60 dollars unless there's no other way around it. If there's a console exclusive that I really want at launch I have no other choice.

On PC however almost 90% of the time you can get it for 15% or more off if you look around.

Has the abundance of cheap digital games changed how much you're willing to spend on a game?
It's definitely changed how much I'm willing to spend on a game. However, all else being equal, I'd probably be spending roughly the same amount on games in total, cheap games just lets me spread the wealth around.

In absolute terms, I'm spending way less on games, but that's more due to life and my absurd backlog - something that was building long before cheap digital games came along.

Opa-Pa

Not much, really. I don't dig digital so it'd only apply for digital-only games in my case, and I only see them as extremely good deals rather than as standard for what I consider a decent price.

I'll happily buy games if they're $10, but I have no trouble buying stuff day one, full price if it's something I've been looking forward to and I have the time to play it.

Now if the thing is on sale for $5 and I have a slight interest or even just curiosity, I'll bite. I've done it for stuff I'd otherwise not buy like The Order and Shadowfall.

A lot of the games I enjoy can be considered niche and often only get very modest sale numbers too, so I'd feel bad waiting for sales provided I want to play them ASAP.

DSix

Banned
Digital sales let the games go lower, while still benefiting the devs of the game.

Before that, even used physical games were more expensive than most Steam sales prices.

It's a win win situation, games are cheaper yet all the "second hand money" goes directly into the devs pocket.

So, in the end, yup, my price has lowered. BUT, I buy a lot more games than I ever did before.

Cheap digital games haven't changed my idea of what a good price is for a video game. Most of the games that are cheap are usually ones I'm not interested in.

Amazon Prime and GUC did change my mind. I do try to to stack up on eshop cards when Best Buy does their 10-20% off deals. I use those for digital only games, usually anyway. I also try to wait when those games are on sale, so I can stack my 10-20% card sale on top of the game's sale.

For me there's now two levels of games:

Day One:
Games I want day one, obviously. Usually anything Nintendo puts out and sequels to games I really enjoy.

Sale:
Everything else.

If a game comes out that I really want, I'm likely going to buy it regardless of price.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Cheap digital games haven't impacted my perception of a good price as much as high prices on mediocre games have. $60 games are rarely worth it any more now that I can get 3 awesome $20 experiences for the same price. Cheaper digital games are making fewer and fewer average AAA worth it.

Falchion

I'm cheap as fuck now. I'll gladly wait for $30 or less on a majority of the games I buy now.

This is pretty much me. I've been able to build up a nice backlog picking up awesome games at rock bottom prices on flash sales over the past couple of years. Now I'm at a place where I don't need to buy much of anything new at launch unless I really want to play it right away. Chances are I have something in my backlog for every genre so whatever impulse I have, I don't need to go out and buy anything new. For most games I'm more than happy to hold off for several months, or even a year, and grab it for $20 or less.

Matty77

This is pretty much me. I've been able to build up a nice backlog picking up awesome games at rock bottom prices on flash sales over the past couple of years. Now I'm at a place where I don't need to buy much of anything new at launch unless I really want to play it right away. Chances are I have something in my backlog for every genre so whatever impulse I have, I don't need to go out and buy anything new. For most games I'm more than happy to hold off for several months, or even a year, and grab it for $20 or less.
Yeah this is my story too. Flash sales, plus discount, ( I know a lot of people act like digital is always higher and location matters but in the states PSN gives deals so good sometimes I have traded in physical copies and was able to buy the same game digital and still keep a few dollars. It's not as good as steam maybe but it's pretty good) and my library of owned games is huge between PS3 and 4.

I think I only buy full price once or twice a year and it's usually because of interest, I will be buying Agents of Mayhem for instance and That may be it until Spider-Man.

As for feeling bad not really. It may not be launch price but I at least know my money whether a dollar or twenty is going to the publisher and not gamestop.

im_dany

If a game is good, I'm all in for full price, I don't care. Even if it's not D1, I don't think I'd be angry if today I had to pay 60€ for Zelda BOTW.

If a game is just decent... cheaper prices will make me wait. Sometimes it payed off (10€ for Mordor? totally worth it), sometimes it didn't (40€ for WD2+SP was a HUGE mistake).

Shin

Banned
$60 seems insane to me.

Depends, game prices hasn't gone up for maybe a decade.
Various reasons as to why digital is cheaper or deals can be found more often.

OT: I don't have a console myself, though I buy PS4 games I do tend to buy the ones that are <$10.

Estoc

For PC, it's all digital anyway.

For console, I'm still in the confused pile. The limited HDD space, and relatively inconvenient OS navigation(compared with PC), I tend to prefer physical, and suffer any minor price differences. On the other hand, with my limited space at home, I want to go digital... Luckily, my primary gaming platform is PC, and consoles are just for exclusives or specific function(such as portable Switch).

I was actually browsing the steam store today and thinking about the same thing. I rarely tend to buy games when they first release unless I've been anticipating them for a long time like I did with Uncharted 4, Horizon and Persona 5. Even then, I got them at cheaper than full price with E3 and Amazon Prime preorder discounts.

But with most other games it is hard for me to justify paying $60 when I can get it way cheaper in a year or two and instead get 4 games now that are maybe $15 each. It also helps that I don't feel left out of the zeitgeist with a new big game release so I'm perfectly fine with playing a game well after release (except for the aforementioned games).

I also have a huge backlog because I didn't really start gaming a lot until last year so I have a lot of catching up to do so I need go buy more but cheaper games to chip away at it. Thankfully I'm pretty good about playing and finishing a lot of the games I buy so at least I feel like I'm getting a lot of value out of the 4 games I bought for a combined $60.

During the Gamecube and PS2 era, getting a game on play.com / the hut / zabbi for 25&#8364; was a good price. Or two games for 30&#8364;. This carried well into the PS3 / era.

With Steam... At first in 2009 15&#8364; was an awesome price (Assasin's Creed). Compared to physical, even then . In 2014 i reached a point where 5&#8364; was the maximum I would pay for an AA game.

PSN was a change. Lots of sub 10&#8364; games, but I would raise my budget again to 30&#8364; for stuff like The Witcher 3 or Persona 4. And it feel worth it.

The only difference now is that if I am going back to paying 20-30&#8364; for a game, I need to make sure that it is not going to end as backlog meat. Paying that much to not play it (something that did not start happening until Steam) was never acceptable.

BHK3

Banned
Nope, digital games outside holidays for me(psn primarily) I've never considered cheap. I can always find a physical copy for cheap, much quicker, elsewhere. People will cite steam a lot but I havent bought anything from steam for cheap in years. Anything I want is actually cheapest at launch for PC games, GmG had Dragons Dogma and FFIX for like 25% off at launch I believe which is where I bought my copies, instead of waiting for holidays for them to go 40% off.

I just bought Wipeout Omega Collection, a game that came out this month from a online UK store that comes with a really cool box, for $10 cheaper than if I was to get right now from Best Buy with my GCU membership. I imported a game, with cooler packaging, for less than I would've gotten it locally. Walmart price matched Amazons $32 price for FFXII Zodiac age and I had a $10 giftcard from them because of the Tekken 7 price error and got that for $25(wish it was the steelbook but I'll live). That's a $50 game that's not even out yet and I just got it for half off...digital only is for the birds. Abundance of cheap digital games? I haven't seen evidence, unless $40 for Mass Effect Andromeda a few months after launch on PS+ only sale is somehow considered good.

redcrayon

It's changed what I'll pay for games I'm either only mildly interested in or suspect will crash in price quickly. Pretty much all western AAA games are a fraction of the price six months later so I no longer buy them at launch unless I'm really excited about them. I either pay full price for the handful of games I'm really interested in (often portable RPGs with their typically low print runs) or wait until the price is very, very low in a sale, there isn't really anything in between any more for me.

Majukun

I've of ways been a cheapskate, pc is my environment given how many cheap games there are
still, I don't buy only digital game that cost more than 20 euros... I buy some physical retail games at 60 at day one but they are extremely rare, usually Nintendo games that would not become cheaper with time anyway.

Usobuko

Banned
Full priced for the games I like, priority given to niche franchise over blockbuster ones even if I like them equally.

For example, I think Anthem / Spiderman is very appealing but I can afford to wait for a price drop and just buy Strange Journey first.

laxu

I still feel like the max price I'm willing to pay is somewhere around 40-45€ and usually I can buy new games for PC at around that price thru Greenman Gaming. Console games are absurdly expensive at 60-70€ and on PC Microsoft has been trying to push those prices to PC via Windows Store. This has resulted in me not buying anything off Windows Store.

Quasar

Yes.

I now no longer buy full priced disc games. It's been made painfully clear I can have just as much fun with lower priced digital games than I would full priced games. Hell most of the time I get more entertainment out of them.

So anything above US$20 or 25 is probably suspect.

It's rare that I'll fork over $60 for any AAA game unless it's one that I've had my eye on forever. Even then, I have GCU, so it really only comes out to about 53 bucks (not 48 thanks to obnoxious sales tax where I live).

Paying $60 for games like Zelda BOTW, Persona 5, Battlefront 2, and Super Mario Odyssey doesn't bother me in the least. I'm going to get a ton of mileage out of those games, and I want them at launch. Otherwise I'll wait until AAA games are less than $30.

With Indies though, I really don't "impulse buy" any that aren't less than 10 bucks. But there are some exceptions. Like you damn well better believe I'll buy Stardew Valley, Switch tax and all, when it finally makes it to the Switch.

120v

it definitely changed my priorities. the days of picking up every new release willy nilly have come to an end. even with GCU and Prime discounts its a huge hole in my wallet that needn't be there

for example this recent steam sale i just went with a few of $5-10 games that will satiate my "needing something to play". save the 'premium purchases' for a true rainy day

PrimeBeef

Not really considering I paid, or my parents in some cases paid, up to nearly $100 for some NES and SNES games. I really don't care about the price of a game as long as I have fun playing it. I felt I got my money's worth out of NMS despite the issues people had with it.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah I would say so. Between cheaper indie titles that are typically more prone to risk taking and new ideas than AAA titles (that are pushing $90 each now when you consider the prominence of season passes), I struggle to pay more than £30 for anything AAA at launch certainly, and that's getting harder when titles are pushing £50+ now.

Sotha_Sil

Prey was absolutely worth it. Hitman S2 will be a day one purchase as well. I do like supporting my favorite devs with full purchases.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I buy maybe 2-3 full priced games a year, the rest at under £20, anything more just seems expensive.

captianpants

Neo Member
I don't know if it's change my perception but I will say the frequency of digital sales on psn and steam really make me take pause buying a new game on day one. because it seems within a month or two there's a price drop.

I feel like the current prices for everything but new releases on PC were pretty much the same as you could find in bargin bins and random sales in retail back in the day.

Over the past few years some publishers have drastically increased prices of PC games in my market though, so new games on Steam are more expensive than they ever were which leads me to hunt for better prices elsewhere.

Eumi

Nah, £40 is still fine for me for a day one full game purchase. What gets iffy is when I miss a game at launch and spend the next year waiting to see if it'll go down in price.

I think the waning amount of my free time has changed that more than anything. Plenty of stuff I'm technically interested in, but too many I know I'll never play, so it's forced me to be more selective/frugal. But that's just a personal assessment.

Jolkien

Sales have no say in if I buy a game or not. If there's something I wanna play I buy it regardless of past or upcoming sales, I really don't care about that.

giapel

£40 for a new game. £25 for 3month old game (except Nintendo) £10-£20 for smaller downloadable games. Up to £5 for mobile games. Been like that for years now.

P.s. £60 for eshop Zelda was the only exception due to the fact that It was basically sold out everywhere

captianpants

Neo Member
I think the waning amount of my free time has changed that more than anything. Plenty of stuff I'm technically interested in, but too many I know I'll never play, so it's forced me to be more selective/frugal. But that's just a personal assessment.

that's also a good point,I feel the same way.

Kthulhu

This is why I get pissed at Nintendo! Their games never go down in price like that. And buying digital on their platform is a joke in itself.

So I just bite the bullet and go physical around launch period for games I'll play from them. Games that I have little to no interest in playing just get left alone, or bought when their's a rare price drop.

I don't wanna pay $60 for the new Yoshi game!

Rent it or buy it used then.

Top Bottom