• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have we seen reactions from devs about the XB1 reveal?

I mean, this is what was announced on Polygon the day or two prior to the actual event. I don't know why people are blowing it out of proportion and crying that Microsoft have lost because at an event designed to show off the console and it's functionality, they showed off the console and it's functionality.

I will gladly eat crow if E3 has more emphasis on stuff that was in the reveal than games though.
You forgot the part where a lot of the features they mentioned wont be available outside of the US. A huge portion of that event was meaningless to a lot of people.

Not to mention there was a lack of features that pertain to video games. Most of that conference didn't even relate to games.

rouken

Cliff Bleszinski ‏@therealcliffyb 18h
If they showed all of the games today you'd all be at the E3 presser going "WHERE ARE THE GAMES?" (me too) #XboxOne

Cliff Bleszinski ‏@therealcliffyb 10h
My gut is telling me that today's show was "get the stuff out of the way that we didn't really want to hear about at E3" for Xbox One.

hmmm

2MF

A lot of these are contrary to the fanboy furor on GAF.

Really? I see a lot of indifference and even some negative opinions (perhaps slightly tempered as you often don't want to look too negative as a dev). But I don't see many outright positive reactions.

freddy

Banned
Something that many gamers don't understand is that this isn't a console war, this is a war for the future of ENTERTAINMENT.

Sony and MS aren't just making a better console they're burying DVR devices. #XboxReveal

If they showed all of the games today you'd all be at the E3 presser going "WHERE ARE THE GAMES?" (me too) #XboxOne

My gut is telling me that today's show was "get the stuff out of the way that we didn't really want to hear about at E3" for Xbox One.
This guy sounds like one of Microsofts PR reps.

Shinjica

Why not show games at this conference and more games at the E3???

watership

Why not show games at this conference and more games at the E3???

I don't know, because they were announced a product to the masses? And not at gamers? Listening to giantbomb podcast or TheVerge and then reading Kotak-err. neogaf is like night and day.

Is anyone really upset that they didn't show games? Didn't they say they were showing games at E3 well before this conference? I knew they weren't showing games this conference and still came out disappointed. Between their "solution" to used games, the fee your friend must pay if you bring your game over to show him, the must be connected to internet once every 24 hours bullshit and every other DRM/No used games/disgusting attempt at "revolutionizing" the game industry, Microsoft showed they have no interest in keeping us happy. They care about the bottom line. The bottom line to them is "what should we do about Gamestop sales?" and "how do we make more $$$?" The last question is typical of any company, but not when they don't give a shit if they piss off their entire fan base in the process.

Is anyone really upset that they didn't show games? Didn't they say they were showing games at E3 well before this conference? I knew they weren't showing games this conference and still came out disappointed. Between their "solution" to used games, the fee your friend must pay if you bring your game over to show him, the must be connected to internet once every 24 hours bullshit and every other DRM/No used games/disgusting attempt at "revolutionizing" the game industry, Microsoft showed they have no interest in keeping us happy. They care about the bottom line. The bottom line to them is "what should we do about Gamestop sales?" and "how do we make more $$$?" The last question is typical of any company, but not when they don't give a shit if they piss off their entire fan base in the process.

It certainly didn't surprise me they'd show what may be the two biggest money-making series for Xbox One. Putting the current confusion on secondhand titles aside, the reveal itself was average, and typical "entertainment box" Microsoft.

What's interesting to me is that while some people will say, "Wait for E3," and they may have a point, this is still the first impression of Xbox One. MS has a lot to clean up.

Famassu

I don't mind that there were few games, as long as even those few games would've been somewhat interesting. The Forza 5 trailer didn't look bad, but I also have no fucking idea what kind of things they are ACTUALLY doing with it. Same goes for the new Remedy game. They didn't have much actual gameplay so they weren't interesting as game reveals. And there is nothing less interesting that announcing a console and then revealing it with sports games & Call of Duty (all of which will be on, like, dozens of other platforms).

And really, the problem wasn't a lack of games, the problem were that what they DID reveal about the hardware & its features were not interesting and are totally useless for everyone outside US. There was nothing as cool as, say, the Share-button for PS4, as far as OS features go.

I don't mind that they got the hardware & its features out of the way prior to E3, but there's no denying that those features are meh for a lot of people.

I don't mind that there were few games, as long as even those few games would've been somewhat interesting. The Forza 5 trailer didn't look bad, but I also have no fucking idea what kind of things they are ACTUALLY doing with it. Same goes for the new Remedy game. They didn't have much actual gameplay so they weren't interesting as game reveals. And there is nothing less interesting that announcing a console and then revealing it with sports games & Call of Duty (all of which will be on, like, dozens of other platforms).

And really, the problem wasn't a lack of games, the problem were that what they DID reveal about the hardware & its features were not interesting and are totally useless for everyone outside US. There was nothing as cool as, say, the Share-button for PS4, as far as OS features go.

I don't mind that they got the hardware & its features out of the way prior to E3, but there's no denying that those features are meh for a lot of people.

That's exactly my point. I think 2 days before the conference (don't quote me on that) they literally said this conference is not about games, E3 will be about games.

It's fine to be angry about the features. I am too. But some people seem to be angry that no games were shown, or little gameplay was shown. That's not what this conference was about. Let's be angry about they actually showed: bullshit paywalls, DRM, pay-for-permission to play and entertainment nonsense.

scently

Really? I see a lot of indifference and even some negative opinions (perhaps slightly tempered as you often don't want to look too negative as a dev). But I don't see many outright positive reactions.

Personally, as a gamer I was disappointed but from a business perspective I totally understand what they are doing. The truth is, they have said all along that this is meant to introduce the hardware and services while E3 is meant for games. If, after E3, we don't see something substantial then they have failed. The current reaction on GAF is what I expected, but my surprise is that people who should know better are also overreacting.

Cliff got it spot on and the truth is that there is simply no room for a pure video game console in the world today. Its all about being able to do as much as possible while also providing a stellar gaming experience. These companies are also facing strong competition from Apple and Google. They absolutely have to include this bits.

I fully expect Sony to go in the same direction as MS and if you can look at the subtle details, you will see that they are heading there. Saying that they are not is really setting yourself up for disappointment but we will see.

Top Bottom