• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever eaten or heard of Boiled Peanuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

Whenever I head a little south of here, in Chesapeake, Virginia, I see these ads. I've never tried them. They don't look appetizing.

Oh, I also have seen many as I drive through Florida.

mrkgoo

What the FUCK.

I mean, I guess I'd try them, once, but boiling peanuts vs roasting them is about as appetizing as boiling meat.
Don't like stews?

I think it's a shame that some people will only eat some foods prepared in certain ways (not you just speaking generally).

I've had peanuts that have been prepared in like rice porridge and other Asian soups. Delicious.

Not sure if that counts. Haven't heard of boiling in husk, but could be great. I'm always game.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I love boiled peanuts.

I can't chose roasted over boiled or visa versa. I either have a taste for one or the other.

Dishwalla

Banned
First tried them down in South Carolina, although they do sell them around here. Just another Southern item I don't understand, along with sweet tea and grits.

KevinCow

Banned
It never occurred to me that this was a regional thing that other people might not have tried or even heard of. The thread title might as well have been, "Have you ever eaten or heard of Apples?" as far as I'm concerned.

Boiled peanuts are amazing. They're pretty much a staple when going to see a baseball game down here in Georgia, as much as hotdogs and beer.

Chococat

After reading this thread, I found a canned version at my local store. Tried them. Not bad. Would eat again. Imagine they are better homemade.

zethren

Banned
I live in the south, so yeah I see them all the time.

But honestly the thought of them disgusts me so I've never tried them. It's my curse to see them around every corner...

pa22word

But honestly the thought of them disgusts me so I've never tried them. It's my curse to see them around every corner...
79580f2cb3ff2a6d1ff64f44733ca797.gif

go down the road and get you some peanuts 'forgodsake

Kite

4DiD1Ra.jpg

xd3pkvw.jpg

Boiled peanuts aren't just a southern thing, we eat em in Taiwan/China as well. Here is some in a zongzi (wrapped glutinous rice stuffed with different fillings) and another as part of a side dish.

edit: Forgot that you can also get em as a topping on traditional shaved ice.. I'm not a fan tbh

Tc8jnsQ.jpg

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
So are the shells soggy and you twist them open and pull the peanuts out? And I assume the peanuts inside are soft?

Some shells are soggy, but they've mostly still got some crunch so you pop them open. Boiled peanuts as a whole are a lot easier to understand when you remember that they're basically peas/beans, so you're really just cooking them like you do most other legumes.

I'm growing about a hundred peanut plants this year, so hopefully I'll have tons of good, homemade boiled peanuts.

Armaros

4DiD1Ra.jpg

xd3pkvw.jpg

Boiled peanuts aren't just a southern thing, we eat em in Taiwan/China as well. Here is some in a zongzi (wrapped glutinous rice stuffed with different fillings) and another as part of a side dish.

edit: Forgot that you can also get em as a topping on traditional shaved ice.. I'm not a fan tbh

Tc8jnsQ.jpg

My mom makes the top one every year for family and friends. So good

DonMigs85

Some shells are soggy, but they've mostly still got some crunch so you pop them open. Boiled peanuts as a whole are a lot easier to understand when you remember that they're basically peas/beans, so you're really just cooking them like you do most other legumes.

I'm growing about a hundred peanut plants this year, so hopefully I'll have tons of good, homemade boiled peanuts.

So do they have the taste and texture of cooked/canned peas, beans or garbanzos?

My parents used to get me a bag of them when we visited the mountains. Ate them until I found out I had developed a peanut allergy around 12 years old.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
So do they have the taste and texture of cooked/canned peas, beans or garbanzos?

I'd say the texture is most similar to black eyed peas and the like. Not mush, but nice and soft with some substance to them. It wouldn't feel strange at all to cook up a pot of them like you do black eyed peas if they were already unshelled.

They are just beans that we are accustomed to eating raw...

They taste good cooked, too

peanuts are not nuts, they are legumes.

Samimista

Living in Florida, I see boiled peanut stands at almost every corner.

But no, never tried them. I just never put much thought into it.

bman94

I used to go to South Carolina every summer when I was little, loved the fuck outta some boiled peanuts. We don't have any in South Florida (at least I know of) but we got Hot Sausages and Pickled Eggs so I guess it's a fair trade.

More amazed so many people have never heard of this. They are acually very good. Can get them mostly in more rural locations or what not but they are a simple and super tasty snack.

antispin

I could've sworn I'd contributed to this thread way back. So: yeah, these are delicious. There's a balance in how much to boil -- the best-tasting ones are not oversoaked, also adding some salt helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom