• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you guys watched COD WW2 gameplay?

Guys, COD and BF have totally different design philosophies. COD is an ARCADE shooter, 6v6, with small maps designed to create lots of fast engagements, hitscan weapons, etc. BF is bigger, with bigger player counts, bigger maps, vehicles, bullet travel, and so on.

Play COD if you want fast paced moment to moment gameplay with a few seconds between engagements. Play BF if you want the spectacle of large scale battles.

Most of us who prefer COD to BF don't like all of the downtime running from engagement to engagement. Even if it's only like a 30 second run from spawn to engagement, that feels like a long time compared to COD, and IMO gets boring.

Tokubetsu

I really wish Activision would go the CS:GO/OW route with at least one of these CoD studios (treyarch or sledgehammer plz). Give me a contemporary setting, seasonal events, regular map updates and patches. You can fill it with loot boxes all you want.

Gonna miss AW setting a lot. Having been playing CoD since 04, and WWII shooters even before that I just cannot get excited for this one. Even with the extended break from WWII shooters. Gonna be the first time I skip CoD two years in a row.

Same here, campaign is all i care about right now. The Female's and "Black Nazi soldiers" running around in MP ruined it for me, takes the mood out of the whole WW2 setting for me, i won't be touching it. And don't you SJW's go and get offended now, I'm a big history buff and am a stickler for accuracy.

Very happy the campaign is accurate though, really looking forward to it. And i think the game looks great btw.

is 4chan on the loose again?

Bolivar687

Banned
To all the people saying looks good to me, you should demand better. This is 2017 and the graphics and sounds make it look like a 10 year old game.

Isn't this a billion dollar franchise? What the fuck are they doing with all that money? They really are running Cod into the ground, and we're all letting them do it.

Full HD 60 frames per second.

Kalentan

To all the people saying looks good to me, you should demand better. This is 2017 and the graphics and sounds make it look like a 10 year old game.

Isn't this a billion dollar franchise? What the fuck are they doing with all that money? They really are running Cod into the ground, and we're all letting them do it.

Considering BF1 can barely hold a 60 FPS (unless the action is low) on consoles, I'd rather have less graphically prowess, more graphical clarity, and a much more consistant 60 FPS.

Also pretty sure they removed Swastika's so that youtuber's can actually cover the game. YouTube has been cracking down on videos with Swastika's in them and that include people using Campaign footage of CoD WW2.

HiiiLife

It looks the best it's been since MW2.

I got to do a multiplayer session at E3. The first part was a traditional team deathmatch on Pointe du Hoc (it looks nothing like the COD2 level). It has a strong focus on trenches and some interior spaces (barn, bunker, etc.) with a couple mounted machine guns placed on either side of the map.

The gunplay was, well, COD. It was nice to hear the good ole M1 magazine ding once again. I never tried the bayonet charge as the TTK in these games is so stinking short. No dolphin diving or sliding as far as I saw. The killstreaks used the same score-to-earn system they've been using for the past several games which annoyed the hell out of me (I miss the MW3 system that doesn't reset upon death). First killstreak was an observation plane, second was a strafing run from a passing fighter. Never got to use either of those despite at one point being on a five-kill streak.

Second match was half of a War match which was basically attack/defend segments of a map. No killstreaks included in this mode. I only saw two objectives: the first to capture and hold a house (aka headquarters mode) and the second was the build a bridge (run over to a point, hold F to build bridge, try not to die in the process). They ended the session after the first round so I didn't get to experience the defender portion of the mode.

I dunno, it's very much classic COD, more World at War than 2 or 3. I'm more interested in the singleplayer than the multi so I'm hesitant to pick up the game on day one.

-hadouken

Most of us who prefer COD to BF don't like all of the downtime running from engagement to engagement. Even if it's only like a 30 second run from spawn to engagement, that feels like a long time compared to COD, and IMO gets boring.
Ummm, you do realise that Battlefield has TDM and domination on COD sized play spaces?

jelly

Looks cool and I like the game mode in the video OP. COD multiplayer isn't usually my thing but that looks a little tamer and approachable to me while offering some point to point objectives.

Accoun

Ehh, I'd prefer something more like 1/2 rather than what they show, but whatever - I'm not a MP person myself (especially COD MP), so I'd be getting it for SP more than anything else.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm trying to understand the crux of the complaints here.

Were you expecting something other than CoD in a WWII setting?
Were you expecting a visually stunning MP component?
Were you expecting all the garbage stuff the future games added?

I'm not understanding. While I personally won't be buying another CoD until Modern returns, this still looks leaner, cleaner and better than any of the future CoD MP portions.

djnewwest

Banned
It looks the best it's been since MW2.

Ill agree that it does look the good for a cod game, but that's not saying much anymore. They should take some of that cash they get every year and reinvest it back into the franchise and totally reinvent it from the ground up. Brand new graphics engine, new sound engine.

But why bother when people will still buy it. Its all about maximizing profits.
I'm worried that instead of investing for the future they will just bleed the series dry, until everyone is sick of it.

I've been watching some new gameplay videos and honestly this looks completely underwhelming, feels like I'm back in fuckin' 2008... Even the movement of the characters is extremely off some for reason.

Graphics wise, comparing this to something like Bf1 seems like a fucking joke.

That's the reason I'm excited to play it. Last CoD game I played was BO1.

glaurung

I've been watching some new gameplay videos and honestly this looks completely underwhelming, feels like I'm back in fuckin' 2008... Even the movement of the characters is extremely off some for reason.
I shouldn't complain since I'm getting this game for free on PS4, but something did stand out to me in the latest Headquarters video as well: the animation feels stiff and janky. That one moment when the character enters prone from running - it switches from running to prone like a slide show. Not impressed.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The thing that worries me about the gameplay is speed. It seems really slow, and I'm worried that it's going to lead to an imbalance that greatly favors long-ranged and range-capable weapons. Doesn't help that the pump action shotgun looks like inconsistent garbage.

Graphics aren't good and the game play will not match the quality of BF1 but I'll get it. I usually skip 2 iterations of COD but being that it's WW2 skipping Infinite Warfare is good enough

It looks a little stale to me. Yeah sure it has some new features, but it all just seems like minor window dressing to what is the same COD game with a WW2 theme. Battlefield 1 is an obvious game to compare it to, and in that the experience just seemed a lot more visceral and real.

I'm not wanting to come across as a hater or anything. I have been playing them since Black Ops, but with each instalment since, I find they have been holding my interest less and less. The gameplay in the multiplayer has always been quite frenetic, and in the case of older games, it was a great balance. They felt just fast and chaotic enough to keep me excited, and to allow for quick matches. But I feel they have slowly just become way too fast and random, to the point where it is more frustrating than fun (I mean who enjoys getting spawn killed over and over). WW2 seems like a step in the right direction, but it still seems to have some of the lingering issues from more recent games. I kinda feel they need to take a year or so off and come back with a complete reinvention of the series. A brand new game built from the ground up.

That being said I still hope it turns out to be great, but I will probably pick it up at some point next year once it is cheaper. Battlefront 2 is probably going to be my go to multiplayer game for foreseeable future.

Looks great

YrUNo.gif

J 0 E

My main issue with COD series it's very short "Time to Kill", I don't find the shooting satisfying this way at all

other games like Halo - Overwatch - Destiny gives you a chance to defend yourself if the enemy shot you in the back, COD never does that, even Titanfall has this issue but the Titan battles balance it

Angry Joe said it best. (full rant here)

WWII seems to suffer the same thing so skip for me.

HariKari

Looks like COD.

Awful animations, awful sound, awful gunplay, grenades that go five feet, phonebooth map design, same exaggerated tracers.

Where's the bait and switch?

IISANDERII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uThN0mjQ2UA&t=209s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrY3dC07O38&t=0s

Graphics wise, comparing this to something like Bf1 seems like a fucking joke.
Looks like they're still using that old W@W engine!

Anyway that Operations mode looked alright but the problem is that most players will just stick to team death matches

I was super hyped until I saw gameplay... I had a lot of problems and I was on a 50/50 on to buy or not, then I heard the MG42 sound.

I will not touch this at all, the MG42 sound is one of the most terrifying and iconic sounds, and the game portraits it like just another typical machine gun. So sad.

Top Bottom