• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hawaiian poke has never been trendier. But the mainland is ruining it.

I hate the idea that food can't change or be tweaked because its of a specific persons culture or land. Like really? Its food. Why not have fun with it? Lets just enjoy fucking food, and how it changes and evolves depending on where you go.

Appropriation can be bad in a few ways, but I can't see how its at all bad with something as harmless as food.

kmfdmpig

I hate the idea that food can't change or be tweaked because its of a specific persons culture or land. Like really? Its food. Why not have fun with it? Lets just enjoy fucking food, and how it changes and evolves depending on where you go.

Appropriation can be bad in a few ways, but I can't see how its at all bad with something as harmless as food.

I agree. Would we rather have mainland Americans eat meat and potatoes or try foods from different cultures, even if they're not made perfectly authentically? I think the latter is preferable as enjoying a meal that originated with another culture can be a way to appreciate and learn a bit about another culture, which is something that is beneficial, IMO.

My best friend's mom is Hawaiian and goddamn do I hate the term "mainland" - almost as much as I hate being called "haole" whenever she visits the goddamn "mainland".

I may have to fight you on this. You're right about plate lunch, though.

Accept my non-pidgin understanding, grew up in the mainland ass as the one true Hawaiian, NeoGAF's pre-eminent film reviewer, and an alien space bank robber

My best friend's mom is Hawaiian and goddamn do I hate the term "mainland" - almost as much as I hate being called "haole" whenever she visits the goddamn "mainland".

Your best friend's mom is a jackass. Though Hawaiians aren't too keen on outsiders, considering she's visiting the mainland herself, she should learn to cut that shit out

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah just like how taco bell ruined mexican food.

Primus

Accept my non-pidgin understanding, grew up in the mainland ass as the one true Hawaiian, NeoGAF's pre-eminent film reviewer, and an alien space bank robber

Crap. I can't compete with alien space bank robber. YOU WIN THIS TIME, BUT THIS ISN'T OVER.

Also hungry for loco moco, and I just freaking ate lunch an hour ago.

So I'm drunk and probably shouldn't be posting. But I'm a hobbit at 175 cm and hairy feet. My sister is the most politically correct ever. But she's ok with making fun of short guys. Making fun of fat guys is not ok, even though they can eat less. But making fun of short guys, even though they can't do anything anything about their condition, is totally fine

But it's fine. I'll just get buff instead of tall. But don't get too buff or you're overcompensating. Just got to find the right balance without letting your bitterness show through

cdyhybrid

So I'm drunk and probably shouldn't be posting. But I'm a hobbit at 175 cm and hairy feet. My sister is the most politically correct ever. But she's ok with making fun of short guys. Making fun of fat guys is not ok, even though they can eat less. But making fun of short guys, even though they can't do anything anything about their condition, is totally fine

But it's fine. I'll just get buff instead of tall. But don't get too buff or you're overcompensating. Just got to find the right balance without letting your bitterness show through
Red 6, why is your targeting computer off?

Wrong thread

sant

Cultural appropriation with food? People have been trading for new ingredients for centuries and making new shit. This is an example of when PC shit goes too far. It's food for fucks sake.

Mark Noguchi's food is the BOMB! He's probably one of my favorite chefs. Gouch is situated in Honolulu and is a local legend, and he's been featured on Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown. His food's incredible, including his Poke (his Poke is more local inspired).

I'm Hawaiian, don't care that these restaurants are serving it. Tried some at a local restaurant here in South Carolina and while it was nothing like we'd get back at Foodland, still was nice to get a relatively close approximation of Hawaiian food.

People crying cultural appropriation are way too sensitive. Reminds me of the girl who got the Lyft and was berating the driver for having a Hawaiian bobblehead. When she wasn't even Hawaiian.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I just get the one from Costco since it's a lot of tuna for a decent price. I use my rice cooker at home to make some delish Boton sticky rice. 😇

Unicorn

"instagrammable" is the worst word since "dabbing" and "selfie"

I miss the old meme days of planking being offensive, or actually saying "meme"

Ratrat

I didnt know what this was, so I checked Wikipedia and apparently this dish was already heavily edited by asian immigrents.

Anyway, looks pretty amazing.

Am I weird that I can enjoy authentic traditionally prepared cuisines as well as their regionally modified counterparts and appreciate them both for what they are? Doesn't it irk you when you say something like "the brisket at that place is amazing" and some asshole is like "you've clearly never been to blah blah land of brisket Jesus is the only place that has real brisket." You just want to strangle them, really.

TheExodu5

Banned
Having just been to Hawaii last December...uh, spam musubi anyone? How can they complain about appropriation? (not that it's not delicious...went to Musubi Cafe for Egg/Bacon/Avocado musubi every other day)

Ratrat

Having just been to Hawaii last December...uh, spam musubi anyone? How can they complain about appropriation? (not that it's not delicious...went to Musubi Cafe for Egg/Bacon/Avocado musubi every other day)
That was apparently made by Japanese Americans. They even have them in Japan.

Magilla

Banned
And hard shell tacos ain't authentic, but I'll still eat them. Making food more accessible is a good thing. It can lead Midwestern slobs like me towards more exciting culinary adventures. Win-Win.

Poke and poi are both equally disgusting. As someone who frequents Hawaii and has family there, I'll be just fine with my ramen bowls.

As a side note, can anyone recommend some good local places on the big island? I already dig Ken's House of Pancakes

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Heh, Huang just did a Hawaii episode and had some poke and he also took the time to shit on eating poke on the mainland.

Ahh yes. Lived on Oahu for a while and could get a ton of poke for cheap. Sitting on the lanai and drinking a beer with some Poke was my favorite treat after a long day of work.

Cptkrush

Man, god forbid food becomes popularized and evolves.

There's a great poke place near my work that my manager and I frequent. They do poke/Japanese/Mexican fusion. The owner is a native Hawaiian and his wife is Hawaiian/Japanese, but I guess they would still be shunned. Anyway, poke burritos are fuckin killer.

Top Bottom