• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO starting to go after downloaders too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arment

striKeVillain! said:
Bunch of criminals in this thread. Should be ashamed of yourselves.

Better watch out, you know criminals don't take kindly to being called criminals. It may result in criminal behavior.

Macam

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
Bunch of criminals in this thread. Should be ashamed of yourselves.

HBO should be ashamed of their lack of business acumen, but, for the record, I don't pirate a thing. At the very least, they offer Real Time w/Bill Maher in audio podcast form, so that's the extent of my HBO consumption. Otherwise, they flat out don't exist in my book, which is their loss.

Macam said:
HBO should be ashamed of their lack of business acumen, but, for the record, I don't pirate a thing. At the very least, they offer Real Time w/Bill Maher in audio podcast form, so that's the extent of my HBO consumption. Otherwise, they flat out don't exist in my book, which is their loss.

actually in this case it's your loss. HBO is amazing.

Raistlin

ElectricBlue187 said:
actually in this case it's your loss. HBO is amazing.

Yep. What as silly argument.

"Product X costs more than I'm willing to pay. Though it may be a quality product, if not a standard barer, it's their loss".

Sometime you have to pay for quality.

Macam

Banned
Let me clarify since I'm being misunderstood: HBO isn't going to go under because I don't subscribe for cable service and pay the additional HBO fee. And, for the record, since my only purpose for cable would be able have the privilege of paying for HBO, the channel itself would effectively cost the $40-$50 monthly cable fee plus the HBO fee -- so closer to like $60 a month for a single channel. No thanks.

I'll still be able to watch HBO just fine, I'll just watch it through other venues, where HBO itself gets no actual money from me (namely, DVD rentals), nor do any of their programs get any additional promotion through word of mouth and so forth. My point is that HBO is leaving money on the table. I'd pay a premium over the typical cable subscription HBO fee to watch their programs, but I'm not going to go out and blow a huge chunk of change on an unnecessary cable subscription solely to do so.

koam

LovingSteam said:
So you're admitting to piracy on GAF? Smart man.

TV shows are a gray area. I torrent tv shows all the time even if I have the channels in question. For example, I downloaded Arrested Development but I watched the entire series on TV when it aired AND I own the DVDs. Digital copies are just so much more convenient.

Then there are shows that don't air here. How am I supposed to watch those if cable doesn't air them and they aren't available on DVD?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I don't get certain aspects of TV, tbh. I live in the backwater Sweden where every show is delayed by 6 months. Getting them on DVD a year or a year and a half after they've first aired. And this is in a country you have to pay a special tax just to own a television! So, there's not many options if you want to keep up with current affairs. In my defense I own almost every season of every series I've ever loved, which is a bit more than my girlfriend would want my money to be spent on.

While I can see the problem in America where you can actually catch these shows while they air I don't think TV has come as far as movies in this regard and it's making piracy a huge problem. I support the movie and tv-industry having worked in both but I don't like how far behind tv-series are delayed. And for someone who can't even keep a dentist appointment catching a show while it airs is nigh impossible.

madara

HBO is grade A stuff. I always grab alot of box sets during end of year half off sale. Alot great deals dont see the need not support them at same time.

BluWacky

koam said:
Then there are shows that don't air here. How am I supposed to watch those if cable doesn't air them and they aren't available on DVD?

You're not. You're supposed to act as if they don't exist, like we all used to when we didn't have the Internet to reveal that there were good TV shows in other countries and that they aired months or even years in advance of them possibly appearing on our local channels.

It's crap, but it's the way it's supposed to be - and the way it is for millions of people worldwide who have no idea about these sorts of things or just don't care.

Arment

One of my older internet friends got one one of these just the other week after he downloaded The Pacific. I've known him for a while and he usually watches all his shows on his gigantic HD TV, pays for HBO, etc. He missed it once, downloaded it to watch on his laptop, and got an e-mail for torrenting.

Meanwhile, other people I know download 20~ shows a week and never get a letter.

:lol :lol

Future

This goes back to the cable companies I think. Cable companies realize the draw of hbo, and probably have deals that don't allow them to sell their shows as they air anywhere else. As people said, Many people here just want to get their favorite shows on hbo, not necessarily subscribe to the channel, let Alone subscribe to other basic packages they'd need to have to get it. It's similar to how people would like to subscribe only to TNT or other specific channels instead of the entire tier for lots of money. Cable companies aren't ready to change their business model

Tobor said:
You cut down on piracy by providing legal alternatives.

Piracy will remain rampant until the industries realize and embrace this simple truth.

Hell, Tool still refuses to allow their music to be offered through legal digital download outlets.

Sure, a very large percentage of people pirate because they're simply too cheap to buy the product, but another sizable portion pirate because of the lack of a feasible alternative. Who honestly wants to put up with Ubi-Soft's ridiculous DRM scheme?

Macam

Banned
Almighty_Chocobo said:
Hell, Tool still refuses to allow their music to be offered through legal digital download outlets.

Sounds like they're doing everyone a public service. Zing!

DanteFox

Rookje said:
This is why you use private trackers.

Or so I hear.
can you tell me more about these? What are they? My ISP disconnected my internet temporarily cuz I downloaded an ep or the ricky gervais show. It's not like I can get HBO anyway. I live with my parents and we got rid of our cable cuz it got too expensive. It's not like I could convince them to get cable again and get HBO just so I can watch some shows.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
DanteFox said:
can you tell me more about these? What are they? My ISP disconnected my internet temporarily cuz I downloaded an ep or the ricky gervais show. It's not like I can get HBO anyway. I live with my parents and we got rid of our cable cuz it got too expensive. It's not like I could convince them to get cable again and get HBO just so I can watch some shows.
Wiki.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
see5harp said:
usenet people.
Paying to pirate ... what a concept. Why not just pay for HBO? O:

joshcryer said:
Who uses torrents anymore?
m8ojgg.gif

see5harp

hateradio said:
Paying to pirate ... what a concept. Why not just pay for HBO? O:

m8ojgg.gif

Considering that you can max out a 20M download consistently, I guess it's worth it to some people. Private trackers work alright for the most part but if I want a 8 gig DVD within a few hours, sometimes it's nice.

Toby

Tobor said:
They already have a Hulu style streaming service, but you can't access it without proving you have cable. Truly stupid.
I honestly don't think offering their shows for streaming would be a good business decision for HBO. Primarily they get their money from people subscribing to their channel, and don't have ads on the channel, right?

Anyway, HBO is a great channel. So many good series.

You think HBO is angry at me?

I mean... I may occasionally on occasion download something that intrigues me... but I always purchase the season box set when it's released.

So HBO's ok with me, right? If it weren't for downloading, I wouldn't be a fan of theirs.

They probably hate my guts anyway

yacobod said:
I got a warning email from comcast via hbo for downloading the final season of the sopranos and second season of rome, nothing came of it

I continued to download hbo content after that as well
well.
V6NMe.gif

vazel said:
If there's one pay channel that deserves your dough it's HBO.
this.

I'm an HBO subscriber and have been for the last 10 years, and I don't blame a man who is a subscriber for wanting to download his favorite HBO episodes that he already watched/paid for by subscribing to the channel.

all I really have to say about that.

Fusebox

Banned
Some of the shows I download don't actually air in my country so on this basis I'm morally excused/vindicated, correct?

Jex

Fusebox said:
Some of the shows I download don't actually air in my country so on this basis I'm morally excused/vindicated, correct?

I doubt it, if you get a copy of something without paying for it it doesn't matter whether it was available in your country or not. It just means it would probably take too much effort to catch up with you.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Fusebox said:

Nope, you are in posession of copyrighted materials that are not paid for. You are in the wrong, legally.

I think the internet is a great thing for consumers, it breaks the monopoly cable-companies and TV-stations have had for decades and allows consumers to choose what they want to watch. For instance, The Pacific was a pretty sure thing to come on Dutch TV, but the cable-companies don't broadcast the TV-station that airs it in HD, which means I'm stuck with sub-par SD, unless I get it from the web and watch in it's beautiful HD glory.
But shit doesn't stop there, there's tons of shows that don't air (The IT Crowd, Spartacus untill recently), get aired at a awful timeslot (The Sopranos) or get aired in a mixed order of seasons (House MD) or even a mixed order of episodes within the season (again, House MD, Scrubs, NCIS, CSI). Internet is shifting the power-balance between consumer, TV-stations and cable-companies towards the consumer. As soon as broadcasters (and movie-producers for that matter) get their heads out of their asses and start realising the potential money that's been hiding within the internet, it'll be a glorious day for both consumer and broadcaster.

The TV- and movie-industries need to realise that while they are not be able to beat piracy through it's pricetag, it can offer it's same amount of convenience through something customers have proven to value and are willing to pay for: reliability. If I download The Sopranos from some shady torrent, I could be getting trojans, worms, virusses and malware along with it, that is IF I get Sopranos at all and not some interracial midget gangbang bukake fiesta labeled as Sopranos. Should the broadcaster offer a paid download, I know I'm getting it directly from the source, no malicious software and I get what I pay for.

Duki

Banned
tv piracy is a concept that i just cant get my head around.

on the one hand i realise i never received/purchased a license to watch the shit im watching as it airs in the US, but on the other hand, unless you have a Nielsen box, you're not affecting the company in any way by downloading it before they have dvd boxsets out or whatever.

LQX

Duki said:
tv piracy is a concept that i just cant get my head around.

on the one hand i realise i never received/purchased a license to watch the shit im watching as it airs in the US, but on the other hand, unless you have a Nielsen box, you're not affecting the company in any way by downloading it before they have dvd boxsets out or whatever.

How is the concept hard to understand? HBO is not like a free network station, you have to pay like $15 premium a month for it. So if you are downloading it you are getting there shows for free. That excuse of well I wouldn't pay that $15 a month or its not in my country cant really wash when you know its not free no matter where you live.

CryptiK

wait its illegal to download a TV show recorded off TV? I thought it was only illegal to download DVD rips etc. Shit.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
LQX said:
How is the concept hard to understand? HBO is not like a free network station, you have to pay like $15 premium a month for it. So if you are downloading it you are getting there shows for free. That excuse of well I wouldn't pay that $15 a month or its not in my country cant really wash when you know its not free no matter where you live.

So HBO is confined to the US, and I as a customer am at the mercy of what Dutch TV-stations are willing to air, that's what you're saying. Experience learns that Dutch TV-stations would rather exploit the shit out of their current licenses and take them on as many reruns as humanly possible (I mean, for god's sake, we're on the gazillionth re-run of Allo Allo, Dad's Army, Are You Being Served, MASH, A-Team and Knight Rider), so I should just take it like a bitch according to you.

Well, no, good sir, I say no. The internet offers a shitload of possibilities for HBO and the likes to get their shows to my TV-screen via paid service and I would gladly take advantage of that, if they would seize the oppurtunity. Untill they do, I'll get my shows by any means necessary. Welcome to the internet, where consumers take charge.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I'd love an HBO web-thingie that I can use internationally.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
see5harp said:
Considering that you can max out a 20M download consistently, I guess it's worth it to some people. Private trackers work alright for the most part but if I want a 8 gig DVD within a few hours, sometimes it's nice.

Just FYI I was referring to hateradio's idea about "rapidmegauploadshares," you don't have to pay for direct downloads. Well, as long as you have adblock on and don't consider typing in a captcha too exhausting.

Anyway, I pay for whatever I watch (via cable fees), I just prefer to watch it on my computer. If I had a DVR that might be different, but, I also like to collect. Downloading for me is like VHS was in the olden days. If I had a capture card I'd probably go that route.

Duki

Banned
LQX said:

because its limited to the us, i cant give them that 15 dollars obviously. so how is that a wash? do i mail them a cheque or something

Dear tv stations / production companies.
Get your shit sorted out with Hulu, so people outside the states can play along.
Only content available internationally is "If I can dream". It makes us sad.
Best regards
Fisso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom