• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO to make A Song of Ice and Fire series!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UraMallas

Kenak said:
Am I the only one who thinks they won't run into issues with the giant battles? It's not like LOTR where it's the armies clashing together that's the focus. If they do turn it into one of those generic, boring ass war scenes that seem to happen in so many fantasy movies these days... ugh -_-
I don't think there is much that is "boring" about the LOTR battle scenes but I see your point in the way the LOTR battles are handled and the way it would clash with the way the ASoIaF books are told. It will be interesting to see how they play those scenes. On an aside, I believe the battles in The Hobbit book might have a better parallel with the way the battles are handled in ASoIaF. We'll see how Jackson handles those. If I recall correctly - and it's been years since I've read Hobbit - Bilbo was knocked out for at least one of the huge battles. How is that going to play on screen?

Tim the Wiz said:
"I'm having fun."

Creepy Carcetti is Good Carcetti.
That sold me on him as Petyr.

bengraven

OuterWorldVoice said:
cdUt0.jpg

God damn you, don't taint him for me.

;)

squicken

PhoenixDark said:
iirc this was reported awhile ago. HBO always has preliminary things in the work while waiting for a greenlight, which could pretty fast (Boardwalk Empire was renewed after the first episode aired). I'm hoping GoT gets some great first week ratings so it gets an early greenlight for S2. Hopefully the ratings stay stable throughout. It's not going to be The Sopranos type successful, but I think it can definitely be one of HBO's biggest shows - perhaps their second currently most successful behind True Blood for instance.

I think The Walking Dead had its second season announced after that pilot did well. I think the studios have their minds made up, and just use the announced pickup as a way to say "hey our ratings are awesome!"

squicken said:
I think The Walking Dead had its second season announced after that pilot did well. I think the studios have their minds made up, and just use the announced pickup as a way to say "hey our ratings are awesome!"

Yup, it got insane premier ratings (hell the entire season did). I really really hope GoT has huge success. HBO seems to be doing everything right in terms of attracting new viewers while appealing to the series loyalists/fantasy nerds

VIA Twitter

This time next week (PT), HBO will air the first 15 minutes of the first episode of @GameofThrones. Will you be watching?

Gonna be hard to resist, but I will wait. I wish I had the willpower to wait until the entire series airs and then do a marathon, but that's not gonna happen.

deadbeef

LocoMrPollock said:
VIA Twitter

Gonna be hard to resist, but I will wait. I wish I had the willpower to wait until the entire series airs and then do a marathon, but that's not gonna happen.

Absolutely I'm watching. No way I could wait. The new thread will be up this week, right? This thread is 4 years old.

LegendofJoe said:
So in short: Everyone who is a fan of the series needs to pay out.
Serious question. Outside of purchasing the DVD/BR box set how would one do this if you're from Australia. I'd gladly chip in my bit to see this show go as far as possible but it's my understanding that HBO does not have a dedicated channel over here. Instead shows like the Wire, Sopranos and Big Love come to free to air stations but usually after significant delays between the initial airing in the US.

PhoncipleBone said:
EW compares new series, including Game of Thrones.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/27/camelot-vs-game-of-thrones/

So Starz and others are releasing their own 'medieval series' television show at the same time Game of Thrones comes out. Just saw a preview for CAMELOT on Friday at the theater before Sucker Punch came on. It has Eva Green in some sex scenes, so it has that going for it I guess.

The timing just seems weird, why are so many studios releasing medieval dramas at the same time? Seems a bit fishy. I wonder who had their series scheduled first before the rest decided to jump on the bandwagon...

deadbeef said:
how do you end up with 3 similar sounding (on paper) shows at the same time when there is typically such a dearth of fantasy on TV? Dammit I want my Seasons 2 and 3!!! Don't dilute the audience
That's exactly what I'm afraid of.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have immensely high hopes for the Song of Ice and Fire series to become a smash hit as the HBO original 'Game of Thrones', but stuff like this does kinda irritate me:

http://www.veidt.com/?p=2798

Veidt said:
Ever so interested in anything that might bring more naked Eva Green, as this almost certainly will, which alone makes it more interesting to me than HBO’s Game of Thrones. That this series actually looks good on top of that is just icing on the cake.

What do you guys think?

Right now, Camelot and Borgias have more buzz than GoT because they're recognizable. Non-fans have no idea what GoT is. I expect GoT will differentiate itself once the reviews come in, which is supposed to be next week when critics get screeners of the first six episodes. Early buzz from Twitter is that most critics who have seen multiple episodes of Camelot/Borgias don't particularly like either. The EW critic who wrote that comparison article tweeted that he liked GoT's first two episodes and disliked the other two shows. It also helps that so many TV critics seem to be fans of the books. I'm expecting a very positive critical response to GoT , along the lines of The Walking Dead, and for Camelot/Borgias to get the same response as The Tudors. Peronally, having seen the pilots of Camelot and Borias, I think GoT can easily outdo them. Camelot tells a very simple tale, and the production looks skimpy. Green and Purefoy are the only things making that show watchable. Borgias has gorgeous cinematography and is much better produced than I expected, but the actual content is not much different than The Tudors.

Cheesyhobo said:
Right now, Camelot and Borgias have more buzz than GoT because they're recognizable. Non-fans have no idea what GoT is. I expect GoT will differentiate itself once the reviews come in, which is supposed to be next week when critics get screeners of the first six episodes. Early buzz from Twitter is that most critics who have seen multiple episodes of Camelot/Borgias don't particularly like either. The EW critic who wrote that comparison article tweeted that he liked GoT's first two episodes and disliked the other two shows. It also helps that so many TV critics seem to be fans of the books. I'm expecting a very positive critical response to GoT , along the lines of The Walking Dead, and for Camelot/Borgias to get the same response as The Tudors. Peronally, having seen the pilots of Camelot and Borias, I think GoT can easily outdo them. Camelot tells a very simple tale, and the production looks skimpy. Green and Purefoy are the only things making that show watchable. Borgias has gorgeous cinematography and is much better produced than I expected, but the actual content is not much different than The Tudors.

How can one possibly argue Camelot and Borgias have more buzz than GoT? It is the most buzzed about show right now. Borgias is under the radar, and Camelot has received some average reviews already. And as you said, GoT has had positive word of mouth from critics - and had it even when the original pilot was shown.

PhoenixDark said:
How can one possibly argue Camelot and Borgias have more buzz than GoT? It is the most buzzed about show right now. Borgias is under the radar, and Camelot has received some average reviews already. And as you said, GoT has had positive word of mouth from critics - and had it even when the original pilot was shown.
To a non-fan, I don't think the show has really differentiated itself all that much from Camelot or Borgias. It doesn't have the massive hype of the "next big thing" like Boardwalk Empire did with all of the big names attached to it. Nearly all of the positive press is from people who have read the books.

Clipjoint

PhoenixDark said:
This.

GoT has amazing buzz right now. HBO's marketing the hell out of this series. People I work with who have never read the books are pumped about GoT, and they have no idea Camelot or The Borgias are even airing.

People don't even know about Borgias, and Camelot's buzz isn't high either. Meanwhile HBO has been running ads for GoT during March Madness basketball, NBA games, posters are in Times Square, etc.

PhoenixDark said:
People don't even know about Borgias, and Camelot's buzz isn't high either. Meanwhile HBO has been running ads for GoT during March Madness basketball, NBA games, posters are in Times Square, etc.
HBO has certainly been on a marketing blitz for the show, and I certainly think more people are aware of the existence of the show than Camelot or Borgias, but I don't think they know why they're supposed to watch it. It's not an easy show to sell to the mainstream public, it's not "that show with Scorsese" or "that show with zombies". You are right, though. GoT has more buzz than Camelot and Borgias, and I never should have said otherwise. It just doesn't have as much buzz as I would like. I want it to break out of the fans only/geek niche and reach a larger audience.

Mockingbird said:
Just saw the camelot trailer. Looks good. Will give it a watch but my level of hype for it is nowhere near GoT.
The first episode was aired a couple of weeks ago, and it was pretty uneven in quality. Merlin was awesome and a dirty pervert, but Arthur was goofy as hell. But seeing how awesome Spartacus became i'm willing to give it a few episodes to see how it will turn out.

Mockingbird said:
Just saw the camelot trailer. Looks good. Will give it a watch but my level of hype for it is nowhere near GoT.

Don't know if you saw the same trailer as me but the music that kicked in about halfways was horrible... It's like an Arthurian twilight series :p

I saw the trailer of the Borgias and that seemed quite interesting :D I think i'll watch that.

Wow, that EW comparison chart would probably turn off most people to Game of Thrones until the last "watch if you liked Rome and Walking Dead" bit lol. Popular opinion being "Geek level: High" is the type of thing the show will hopefully avoid.

deadbeef

Brian Fellows said:
Just watched the Camelot preview. It looks to be of a much higher quality than Pillars of the Earth.
I'll give The Borgias a chance since I have Showtime from when Dexter S05 (smh) was on. Also looking forward to AMC's The Killing

GroteSmurf said:
Don't know if you saw the same trailer as me but the music that kicked in about halfways was horrible... It's like an Arthurian twilight series :p

I saw the trailer of the Borgias and that seemed quite interesting :D I think i'll watch that.

LOL. Yes. The music was bad! But ignoring that, everything else seemed interesting. I like the villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom