• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Previous Threads:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782919
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=755759

------

Hr3iXm8.jpg

What is Hearthstone?
Hearthstone is a free-to-play online Collectible Card Game (F2POCCG, which is a real genre) from Blizzard, based on the Warcraft universe. Choose a hero corresponding to one of the nine classes in Vanilla WoW and create a deck using their signature mechanics to fight other players in Casual or Ranked matchmaking. Earn Gold for every three wins and use the Gold to buy booster packs in order to expand your card pool, or use the Gold to purchase a ticket to the Arena where you construct your own deck on the fly using a random pool of all cards in the game.

Download the client (Windows, Mac) on the main site. Note, you will also need a Blizzard account to log in to their launcher.

How to play Hearthstone?
I'm not going to go into that here, just play the tutorial to learn the game.

How to really play Hearthstone?
Read articles, apply critical thinking, watch good streamers like Trump.

Is there an in-game/player-driven economy?
No. There is no card trading or buying cards from other players and there probably won't be anytime in the foreseeable future. In its place is a crafting system. You can disenchant cards you do not want for arcane dust. You can then use that arcane dust to craft cards you do want.

Is this game Pay2Win?'
Of a sort. The thing you should know about Hearthstone is that if you're not going to pay money, plan on playing a lot (read: grinding) or becoming really good at Arena. The longer a player has played, the bigger their card pool will be. This means that an older, frequent player will always have better cards than a newer player. This is just an unavoidable part of collectible card games.

A paying player can save a lot of time by buying boosters, but it's not cheap and they're not guaranteed the best of the best cards, which is, in the end, what separates good decks from the best decks. Buying some boosters right off, however, will help you build a foundation to reliably win games in order to get Gold.

If you really hate not having good cards, then stick to Arena, which is a "level" playing field for a certain definition of "level".

What's the balance like?
Eh. If you're used to the Blizzard cycle of buffs and nerfs and FOTM, you'll feel right at home here. Because of the digital format, the dev team can play a little fast and loose with card balance compared to, say, Wizards of the Coast. But this also means they make more mistakes, and overall they're still trying to find that card balance sweet spot. Once they do find their footing, however, they will dial back the number of changes and generally take a hand off approach.

If I like MTG/YGO/blah blah blah, will I like this?
Hearthstone is simplistic compared to games like MTG and YGO. The reason for this is because of Hearthstone's asynchronous turns, which means that you can't make any moves on your opponents turns. Hearthstone does have it's own particular brand of complexity, but it's really designed from the ground up to be a "pick up and play game". If you're looking for a hardcore card game experience like MTG, you won't find it here, but if you're looking for a streamlined card game experience you can jump in and out of whenever you want, then Hearthstone is right for you.

Anyway it's free, so you don't lose much by giving it a shot.

peI9qrv.jpg

Le Reddit Guide - Probably the best place to start if you're totally new.
Liquid Hearth's Beginner Guides - Some of the info is outdated but the general ideas remain the same.
Three Competing Resources Parts 1, 2, 3 - A series of articles on "resources" in the context of a card game, which goes well beyond just mana.

zmCTLEI.jpg

Official Forums - A veritable nest of QQ and cries for nerf, just like your WoW days!
Team Liquid's Hearthstone Portal - Better place to discuss and learn about Hearthstone, frequently featuring competitive analysis and deck tech articles.
IHearthU - Another good site for high level Hearthstone discourse.
Hearthpwn and Managrind - Part of the Curse family of gaming sites, not only does it have an online database of cards and deck building tool, it is also home to ManaGrind, one of the premiere Hearthstone tournaments!
Hearthstone Wiki - Obligatory game wiki.

jPH90XN.jpg

Trump: YouTube, Twitch
Value Town and Deck Wars (Chanman): YouTube, Twitch
Funny and Lucky Moments: YouTube
2pPressStart; YouTube

TBKEMcK.jpg

Hearthstone Calendar
Team Liquid Calendar

Minsc

Gold Member
Thanks for the new thread. I don't have too many ideas to add for the OP, but look forward to seeing what else can be done to have it be more useful!
Now everyone is saved from my oh-so clever would be title of RNG, or DIE! .... or both.

Haunted

Heroic final wing is kicking my ass so far. I'm thinking Freeze Mage for the first encounter, but I don't have the necessary cards.

Going to be rough!

Tacitus_

Heroic final wing is kicking my ass so far. I'm thinking Freeze Mage for the first encounter, but I don't have the necessary cards.

Going to be rough!

The first two and the last wing are the most sensible in HC. Fuck the construct and military wing.

Oh and freeze mage isn't needed, I cleared hc without it.

Acidote

Going to be rough!

I will be working on HM when I get back home. I pretty much don't have any mage cards so I'll have to find a different (budget) strategy.

Blu(e)

I will be working on HM when I get back home. I pretty much don't have any mage cards so I'll have to find a different (budget) strategy.
Yeah I haven't even really attempted heroic. I always start against Anub'Rekhan and quickly lose interest when he starts summoning his 4/4 monseter. I need to look up some budget decks and strategies to try lest I hope I win through blind luck.

Tacitus_

Yeah I haven't even really attempted heroic. I always start against Anub'Rekhan and quickly lose interest when he starts summoning his 4/4 monseter. I need to look up some budget decks and strategies to try lest I hope I win through blind luck.

I think I just beat him with your basic pre-naxx zoo. Or was it midrange hunter, I can't remember. Then Zoo for Faerlina and a custom outlast deck for Maexxna. Like I said above, the first two wings are fairly reasonable in HC.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I wonder how Kel with taunts is going to affect the meta.

I kind of think the only taunt deck he might fit in would be control pally, but he'd be like the third 8+ Mana card in that deck.

Acidote

I've had no problems with HMs yet, but reading you guys I suppose I will with the final wing as pretty much everyone is talking about freeze mage, and I don't have the necessary freeze mage cards.

raiot

Haha, I got an epic KT Heroic win!

I was at 28 life, out of cards, with 2 paladin minions.
KT had 7 life, a shade of naxxramas, 3 paladin minions and played an acolyte of pain.
I attacked the acolyte with one minion, 1 fatigue dmg.
I attacked with the second minion, 2 fatigue dmg.
Now I used the paladin hero power and ended the turn.
He got 3 dmg from fatigue, putting him to 1.
What does he do? He does not use his shackles, he attacks with the acolyte into my minion and kills himself with fatigue! :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
New thread, fuck yes

Also, how did I get that high up in the wall of shame? Did I really complain that much?

Blu(e)

I think I just beat him with your basic pre-naxx zoo. Or was it midrange hunter, I can't remember. Then Zoo for Faerlina and a custom outlast deck for Maexxna. Like I said above, the first two wings are fairly reasonable in HC.
I don't know what "Zoo" is but I'll look into it when I can. I'm still kind of new to HS so I haven't dug any deeper into the meta or anything like that.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Getting kicked out of HS on Eu, was doing the wing and couldnt move

NBtoaster

KT has been a dead card in my hand every game..
I imagine he's good in shaman vs control but he only makes your matchup vs hunter worse.

Getting kicked out of HS on Eu, was doing the wing and couldnt move

Yeah the game just froze.

Any tips for that pally challenge? At the moment I'd say it's just impossible...really frustrated after 30+ attempts. What's the best strategy: buffing those oozes, using Blood Knights and Argent Squires or is there something else I'm missing?

I've been breezing through Naxx content with no problems and then I get stuck in the last one...

Strider

New thread \O/

*shameless repost*

Congrats!

--

I gotta start grinding for gold to unlock the last wing. I had exactly 0 after purchasing wing 4 :(

Which of course means i have to wait even longer to do the class challenge for my favorite class...

Tarazet

Any tips for that pally challenge? At the moment I'd say it's just impossible...really frustrated after 30+ attempts. What's the best strategy: buffing those oozes, using Blood Knights and Argent Squires or is there something else I'm missing?

I've been breezing through Naxx content with no problems and then I get stuck in the last one...

Argus between two Oozes = four taunting Oozes.. Ooze + Kings = two 5/6 dudes.. flood the board and then use Divine Favor.

ViviOggi

Did it on my first try, I managed to pull off a Squire into turn 3 Blood Knight who secured the board while I just dropped any combos I drew, the most impactful being Ooze + Kings/Might. Try to get taunts up and value out of Cult Master and Divine Favor so you can refill the board after Twisting Nether, which you mustn't overcommit into under any circumstance. Seeing how many people are having problems with the challenge it seems like I got a bit lucky with my draws.
Congrats!

Hasn't Control Warrior always been one of the top deck archetypes?

It was always a solid deck but suffered a lot when Miracle was dominating the ladder. That matchup's no good.

Tarazet

It was always a solid deck but suffered a lot when Miracle was dominating the ladder. That matchup's no good.

Inner Rage on an Armorsmith puts a lot of pressure on their resources early.. and Brawl has a good chance of removing a stealthed goblin. It is a tough matchup, just takes a little creativity.

Argus between two Oozes = four taunting Oozes.. Ooze + Kings = two 5/6 dudes.. flood the board and then use Divine Favor.

Did it on my first try, I managed to pull off a Squire into turn 3 Blood Knight who secured the board while I just dropped any combos I drew, the most impactful being Ooze + Kings/Might. Try to get taunts up and value out of Cult Master and Divine Favor so you can refill the board after Twisting Nether, which you mustn't overcommit into under any circumstance.

Okay thanks, these are the tricks I've been using but it's that Nether that always fucks me up if I manage to get some board control. Gotta keep on trying!

bigkrev

Probably taking a 3-4 week break from the game once Nax is over. I'm starting to burn out a bit (I can't get past level 5 ever, and while I keep blaming RNG I know that it's actually me, not the RNG holding me back), and have hated how much constructed has been shifting the past few weeks as more cards come in. I'll let the Meta start to solve itself a bit with all the new cards, and jump back in late September

Haunted

No, the first that banned her was Loatheb. Can't really say about the later wings since I don't have her.
I just assumed it was banned from the second week onwards, when Blizzard realised that it's too strong and bypasses most of their design. Or maybe it's just specific fights. Either way, I think Frostwyrm would be one of those fights where it makes sense to ban Alex.

Speaking of interesting interactions, I did find an easteregg in the Kel'Thuzad fight.
If you're a hunter and play animal companion, you get Mr. Bigglesworth (0 mana 1-1 beast).

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I just assumed it was banned from the second week onwards, when Blizzard realised that it's too strong and bypasses most of their design. Or maybe it's just specific fights. Either way, I think Frostwyrm would be one of those fights where it makes sense to ban Alex.

Speaking of interesting interactions, I did find an easteregg in the Kel'Thuzad fight.
If you're a hunter and play animal companion, you get Mr. Bigglesworth (0 mana 1-1 beast).
As a futher comment on that spoiler:
If you taunt Mr. Bigglesworth, KT will refuse to attack him and instead attack through him as if he didn't have taunt

Tacitus_

As a futher comment on that spoiler:
If you taunt Mr. Bigglesworth, KT will refuse to attack him and instead attack through him as if he didn't have taunt

Hah, that's brilliant :D

She might be banned in some of them, but not all. I just used Duplicate and made two copies of Alexstrasza trying to beat heroic Grobbulus. He still won because of his ridiculous board control. That hero power is like a free Consecration every turn that summons 2/2 slimes from all of its kills. I'm still working on that one.

Bizazedo

Kel was my favorite fight. Responds to every emote as opposed to other bosses with specific responses and I LOL'd for real when he got pissed and ended my turn for me before I was done because he decided it was his turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom