• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone: Voyage to the Sunken City Expansion - Announced

Anyone is currenctly addicted to Hearthstone?

New Minion Type: Naga

Destroyed by their thirst for power, and cursed for all eternity, the vengeful Naga are a new minion type coming with this expansion and becoming a permanent addition to Hearthstone. The Naga are a spell-focused minion type that tend to give bonuses for playing spells while the Naga are in your hand.

New Keyword: Colossal

The ocean floor is home to many massive monsters unlike anything you’ve seen before. These giant creatures are too big to fit on one card! Minions with the Colossal keyword come with extra appendages that synergize with their main body in powerful ways. These appendages are summoned with the main body, even if the Colossal minion wasn’t played from hand.

New Keyword: Dredge

Don’t you hate it when the one card you need is at the very bottom of your deck? Not any more! Dredge is a new keyword that lets you look at the bottom three cards of your deck and pick one to bubble up to the top of your deck. You can combine these Dredge cards with new Azsharan cards that send a powerful “Sunken” card to the bottom of your deck. Whether it’s sunken treasures, your cool new Legendary, or a well-timed damage spell, Dredge can help you get just what you need.

Last edited:

Jennings

I burned out on Hearthstone about five years and 10,000 wins ago but keep buying expansions and playing vs my SO because she still loves it. I'll be buying this one too. At the moment the main things I'm looking forward to are the set rotation and the updated core set.

I burned out on Hearthstone about five years and 10,000 wins ago but keep buying expansions and playing vs my SO because she still loves it. I'll be buying this one too. At the moment the main things I'm looking forward to are the set rotation and the updated core set.
I do not play it anymore but I love watching it. Also, watching Hearthstone card reviews from prominent figures on YouTube is like a tradition for me at this point, it is entertaining. And these cheesy gameplay reveals are hilarious, creative and well executed lol.

Jennings

I do not play it anymore but I love watching it. Also, watching Hearthstone card reviews from prominent figures on YouTube is like a tradition for me at this point, it is entertaining. And these cheesy gameplay reveals are hilarious, creative and well executed lol.
I used to enjoy watching Eloise stream. There were a few other streams I'd watch here and there, but hers were always the most entertaining for me. I also used to try to watch all the tournaments, but after several control & combo-heavy metas that sucked all the fun out of the viewing experience I fell out of the habit and never came back. Those types of decks/metas are just insufferable to play against, let alone watch.

Unfortunately Eloise hasn't streamed in years, partially because China blocks Twitch and getting around it is a pain, and partly because she stopped taking Hearthstone as seriously as she used to. So now I just throw my free Amazon Prime Twitch subscriptions at whoever happens to be online when it renews, I just never sit down and watch them.

Last edited:
does anyone actually prefer this over MTG?

always wondered this. tried to get into Hearthstone a while ago but it just felt vastly inferior to MTG in pretty much every single way.

The_hunter

does anyone actually prefer this over MTG?

always wondered this. tried to get into Hearthstone a while ago but it just felt vastly inferior to MTG in pretty much every single way.
It plays very similarly to mtg now, it's a pretty good game, apart from the F2P model. I also prefer not having to constantly pass my ok every phase like in digital mtg.

It plays very similarly to mtg now, it's a pretty good game, apart from the F2P model. I also prefer not having to constantly pass my ok every phase like in digital mtg.
which F2P model is shittier in your opinion? MTG Arena or Hearthstone?

I never found MTG Arena to be THAT bad, but this is when I was hit the dailies every single day.

I've actually taken a break from MTG Arena for several reasons and tend to only play paper MTG nowadays (and Flesh and Blood, another TCG which I actually really recommend)

The_hunter

which F2P model is shittier in your opinion? MTG Arena or Hearthstone?

I never found MTG Arena to be THAT bad, but this is when I was hit the dailies every single day.

I've actually taken a break from MTG Arena for several reasons and tend to only play paper MTG nowadays (and Flesh and Blood, another TCG which I actually really recommend)
I haven't played MTG Arena, I quit MTG around Khans of Tarkir. But in hearthstone all the win condition cards are locked behind legendary rarity, you get a legendary on average every 10 packs, so you will get 2-3 legendaries a month. The one redeeming aspect are the mini-sets, they cost 20$ and include powerful legendaries, we get 3 mini sets a year, so you will be paying 60$ a year, it's not unreasonable.

You can disenchant cards, but a lengedary cost 1600 dust to craft, disenchanting a legendary will net you 400 dust.

When the game first launched it was all about value and minion trading, then they had crazy rng in goblins vs gnomes which made me quit. Now it's pretty similar to MTG with combo decks, OTK decks, tempo focused decks.

The_hunter

daIT2HN.png

Looks like a good counter to kazakusan decks.

Beechos

Does anyone even play this anymore? I stopped playing after the 1st couple expansions when the meta became all aggro.

Last edited:

iHaunter

One of the most P2W games I've ever played. I stopped playing, I don't even remember how long ago. To be honest I'm surprised there's still expansions, I thought the game was long dead.

The_hunter

Today is the day.

Less than an hour to go for a bunch of overpowered broken stuff to rotate out and a bunch of brand new pre-nerfed cards to roll on in.
I'm glad druid ramp is going away, killed the last rotation for me. I'm going to make a tess greymane burgle deck.

Lady Jane

Banned
I've enjoyed Hearthstone because it's a great mobile game that can kill 5-10 minutes without bs ads (plus it's fun) but I had an experience this week that made me drop this game for good. It's a new month so the rankings reset. My deck reached me to Diamond last month so it is a good one. My first three games were loses...by a lot. My bad luck on cards I drew was insane. Then on my third game, I was drawing perfect cards at perfect times. There was no deck out there that could have beaten this luck. I had this person dead to rights five times over. Then it happened again for the next match. The next day, the same pattern. Bad luck matches, then good luck matches, the pattern goes on and on.

It's no secret that Hearhstone puts weight on low mana cards to be drawn early though I suspect that they are changing these weights based on your win and loss streaks. Maybe they've always done that and they up'd it for this expansion and I'm just noticing? Regardless, I don't feel like I'm playing anymore. I feel like I'm part of a scripted system and going against that is difficult to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom