• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearts of Iron IV sells 500k copies. Paradox year-end report 2016.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/hearts-of-iron-iv-sells-half-a-million-copies/

Paradox's WWII Strategy Game Conquers the World.

Paradox Development Studio is thrilled to announce that Hearts of Iron IV, its World War II themed strategy wargame, has sold 500,000 copies worldwide since its release in June 2016. This milestone follows record sales for Stellaris, Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II, once again confirming Paradox as the premier developer of computer strategy games.

Fredrik Wester, CEO of Paradox Interactive, underlines how the continued success of Paradox games justifies the company philosophy.

”The PC remains the primary platform for games of this nature," Wester says. ”Even genres that have traditionally been seen as niche can find a large audience, if a developer is dedicated to quality, variety and learning from both previous experiences and the community at large."

Hearts of Iron IV recently saw the release of Together for Victory, the first major expansion to the game. Lead Designer Dan Lind is very pleased with the ongoing development of the game, and the team remains committed to continually improving the HoI experience.

”As a result of this success we are able to take advantage of extra time to add tweaks and polish to the game. Our community has high standards, and we will work hard to to live up to their expectations in the coming weeks and months. We really want HoI to be the best it can be for our fans."

Hearts of Iron IV is currently 33% off at the official Paradox Store. The game is also available on Steam.

SteamSpy: Owners: 500,003 ± 20,669

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/year-end-report-2016/

Year-end report 2016

Fourth quarter 2016
  • Revenues for the fourth quarter amounted to SEK 198.4 (126.8) million, an increase by 56 % compared to the same period last year.
  • Operating profit amounted to SEK 85.9 (43.7) million, an increase by 96 %.
  • Profit before tax amounted to SEK 86.0 (44.2) million, and profit after tax amounted to SEK 68.1 (34.9) million.
  • Cash flow from operating activities amounted to SEK 90.6 (38.3) million, and cash flow from investing activities amounted to SEK -58.8 (-69.0) million.
  • By the end of the period cash and short term placements amounted to SEK 246.9 (159.8) million.
  • Earnings per share amounted to SEK 0.65 (0.33) per share.
  • Revenue from the fourth quarter of 2016 are mainly attributable to Cities: Skylines, Stellaris, Hearts of Iron IV, Europa Universalis IV and Tyranny.

Full year 2016
  • Revenues for the period amounted to SEK 653.7 (604.1) million, an increase by 8 % compared to the same period last year.
  • Operating profit amounted to SEK 308.0 (241.7) million, an increase by 27 %.
  • Profit before tax amounted to SEK 308.6 (242.0) million, and profit after tax amounted to SEK 240.4 (188.8) million.
  • Earnings per share amounted to SEK 2.28 (1.79).
  • The Board of Directors proposes a dividend of SEK 1.00 (0.67) per share for the financial year 2016.

Words from CEO
A strong finish to the year

We've reached years end and can now see that our fourth quarter has closed much in the same way as the year at large – with a steady growth in turnover and profit compared to last year.

Steam, our largest distribution partners, released a top list in the end of December with the 100 best selling games of 2016. Paradox had no less than 5 titles on the list (Stellaris, Cities: Skylines, Hearts of Iron IV, Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II), a clear indication of the strength and range in our portfolio. We are cash flow positive and already have a good cash position, enabling us to do larger investments and look at interesting acquisitions. However, it's important to stress that we are in no hurry, making the right decisions for Paradox of today and Paradox of tomorrow is the priority above all.

After the IPO one of the most frequently asked questions I receive is ”when are you planning to exit"? As an entrepreneur and CEO it's hard for me to understand that question. A more suitable question in my opinion would be ”how do you plan to scale"? In many ways we are just getting started on our journey.

During the fourth quarter we released several expansions to our existing titles. We also released a larger title on November 10th, Tyranny. Tyranny is developed by Obsidian Entertainment and has received a very warm reception by critics and gamers all over the world. We believe Tyranny is a game where the sales will stretch over a longer period of time and where the positive reception will be a contributing factor. Just like with our other titles, the developers are continuing to develop the game in dialogue with its community, something that also contributes to its long-tail potential.

We continuously release expansions and new content to our active game titles. During the 4th quarter we released the first two larger expansions for both Stellaris and Hearts of Iron IV. Stellaris: Leviathans and Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory have both contributed to an increased monthly activity in their respective games while the active dialogue between our development teams and the community has contributed to a general increase of engagement for Paradox in all of our channels.

In November we gathered the entire company for a four day conference. The focus of the conference was to discuss company direction, identify our internal goals and also put into words the company culture we are so keen to keep as we continue to grow. We are very happy with the outcome of the conference and for me personally, after 13 years at Paradox, it was very gratifying to recognize our Paradox DNA among so many new employees. A clear validation that we have the right team with us on the road ahead.

In December we gathered our fans for our annual FanGathering, an event where we also announced the start of the ticket sales for PDXCon this spring. PDXCon has previously been a yearly media event where we have gathered developers, partners and media to show them our upcoming line-up. In 2017 we will open up the doors to the public for the first time and judging from the speed at which the Golden Tickets sold out, there seems to be a large interest to attend.

2017 has the makings of being just as exciting for us as 2016. The organisation and all its parts is teeming with ideas, passion and activity. Things we can mention right now is White Wolf who recently announced that they have licensed the brand ”Werewolf: The Apocalypse" to publisher Focus Home Interactive, for a larger PC and console project. In addition to this they are working with several smaller licensing projects, like three smaller mobile projects with different developers.

As communicated before, we will also continuously look at new platforms and business models. We recently recruited industry veteran Kim Nordström, with a background as studio manager at King, to drive our work in these areas.

I am by nature never satisfied since I can always identify ways to do more and better things. As we close the books on 2016 I can conclude that I am proud of our accomplishments but also that we are far from finished. Paradox will continue to aim high and work hard. A heartfelt thanks to those of you who have chosen to accompany us on our journey.

Fredrik Wester, CEO

dude

dude
Amazing game - the sales are well deserved, even with the AI stupidity.
Happy Paradox are doing well, my favorite publisher by far.

Arulan

Best publisher.

This quote really sums up why Paradox is so far above the other mainstream-obsessed publishers:

Even genres that have traditionally been seen as niche can find a large audience, if a developer is dedicated to quality, variety and learning from both previous experiences and the community at large.

Kolx

Even tho I've put +160 hours into the game so far, I still think the game should have been a bit more sophisticated than what it's now. They have done a great job making the game simpler in comparison to 3, but at the cost of many features the game really needs.

dude

dude
That's the way I feel. I own a ton of Paradox game, and have no clue what's happening... in any of them.
I was on the same boat - but watching people playing is a huge help. Mostly to see how many people are playing while having no idea what they're doing.

I also ignore stuff until I think I can't anymore. I didn't even attempt to make sense of naval and air interfaces in HOI until I kept seeing "Enemy air superiority" or had to naval invade Japan.

Thraktor

Amazing game - the sales are well deserved, even with the AI stupidity.
Happy Paradox are doing well, my favorite publisher by far.

I've really enjoyed it, and I fully expect that, like other PDX titles, it will only get better with time.

As for the AI, the only real issue I had was that they didn't seem to do a particularly good job with naval invasions, or they just didn't really do naval invasions at all. I understand the difficulty of this from a programming point of view, though. There are only a small number of land fronts, and so the decisions of allocating forces, pushing lines forwards, etc., between the fronts is relatively straight-forward. With naval invasions, however, you can in theory invade from any sea tile to any sea tile, which means the possibility space is greatly expanded and it becomes more difficult efficiently finding a reasonably optimal solution. I haven't played the game in a little while, though, so I don't know if they've made any progress on this in recent patches.

Hari Seldon

Lol I just started playing the game again after taking a break. Just finished conquering the US as Canada and I'm building a Navy to take out the UK for the achievement haha. Gave up trying to conquer the UK as South Africa, it is too hard.

kswiston

I own a number of Paradox grand strategy games, but I never get around to playing them (other than Crusader Kings 2).

How accessible are the Hearts of Iron games using Crusader Kings 2 as a baseline?

Paradox's model is really unique and amazing.

Every big new games is essentially a platform, iterated on and developed for years. It's the release+expansion pack model that went out of vogue in the PC land (other notable exception: Firaxis) a while ago taken to its most extreme. It meets the demographic perfectly-people that want to settle down and play a game on and off for years and really become masters at it.

Everything's built on a common platform but each game is very different, so you get familiar UI and in-game workflows but the numbers and thought process behind it is very different. So the games feel both familiar and fresh at the same time.

The company was built on community outreach and every "normal" outlet for social exposure for their games is high-the subreddits, youtube, their own forums-and the information there is detailed and useful. Also, ddrjake <3

Over fifteen years they've been refining this model and learning through tough patches and improving all the way. Now they have a refined, sustainable dev model they are using to keep experimenting and learn more.

Hari Seldon

I've really enjoyed it, and I fully expect that, like other PDX titles, it will only get better with time.

As for the AI, the only real issue I had was that they didn't seem to do a particularly good job with naval invasions, or they just didn't really do naval invasions at all. I understand the difficulty of this from a programming point of view, though. There are only a small number of land fronts, and so the decisions of allocating forces, pushing lines forwards, etc., between the fronts is relatively straight-forward. With naval invasions, however, you can in theory invade from any sea tile to any sea tile, which means the possibility space is greatly expanded and it becomes more difficult efficiently finding a reasonably optimal solution. I haven't played the game in a little while, though, so I don't know if they've made any progress on this in recent patches.

Whatever they have added to the AI post release has them doing invasions all the fucking time now lol. Some really stupid invasions, but there are a lot of them. Some are like ghost invasions. I was rolling on a huge front and noticed some territory being taken on the coast. I send some units over and the enemy has already left, like the AI is harassing me lol.

I own a number of Paradox grand strategy games, but I never get around to playing them

I own almost all of the Paradox games. Have played none of them more than 30 minutes. I keep saying "when I get a weekend I'm going to learn this" and then I never get a weekend. I love that the games exist, so I don't feel bad buying them, although I know it's crazy to keep doing this.

Hari Seldon

I own a number of Paradox grand strategy games, but I never get around to playing them (other than Crusader Kings 2).

How accessible are the Hearts of Iron games using Crusader Kings 2 as a baseline?

CK2 is more complicated (especially with all of the DLC) than HoI4 imo. However you have to know your WWII. Like do you know the difference between a strategic bomber and a tactical bomber. The game doesn't explain much WWII shit to you, but the interface is very easy to navigate.

Anno

Good to see everything continues to go well with Paradox. Now please give us a release date for Stellaris 1.5!

dude

dude
CK2 is more complicated (especially with all of the DLC) than HoI4 imo. However you have to know your WWII. Like do you know the difference between a strategic bomber and a tactical bomber. The game doesn't explain much WWII shit to you, but the interface is very easy to navigate.
Easy to navigate? I mean, it took me a while to understand how to do almost anything :p Every technology type has its own tree and structure, the logistics screen makes no sense on first glance, don't even get me started on the interface for air wings...
I think it's about as complicated as CK2.

Thraktor

Whatever they have added to the AI post release has them doing invasions all the fucking time now lol. Some really stupid invasions, but there are a lot of them. Some are like ghost invasions. I was rolling on a huge front and noticed some territory being taken on the coast. I send some units over and the enemy has already left, like the AI is harassing me lol.

Yeah, I can remember some pointlessly small naval invasions and things like that. I should get back into the game soon for another play-through, but I've recently been sucked into EU4 again, so that's likely to take up all my grand strategy energies for some time.

Easy to navigate? I mean, it took me a while to understand how to do almost anything :p Every technology type has its own tree and structure, the logistics screen makes no sense on first glance, don't even get me started on the interface for air wings...
I think it's about as complicated as CK2.

As with any Paradox game I'd recommend watching a few videos online to get an idea of how the game works. With HoI4 in particular, though, you should choose one of the main powers (i.e. Germany, Soviets, France, Britain, etc.) and take the 1939 start, not the 1936 start. This means you can pretty much ignore all the production, logistics, tech, tank design, politics, etc. and just jump into the war and start invading some countries. CK2 and EU4 don't really have an equivalent "jump start" option, so I would say HoI4 is a little easier to get into in that respect (although still not easy by comparison to non-PDX games).

Top Bottom