• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heat Signature |OT| In space, no one can hear you pause

Beat it. Great game, one of my favorites of the year. Make sure to back up your saves before activating the ending, there's a hard point of no return/save wipe which is kind of annoying. I managed to restore mine but it took some tinkering.

I will say the game did get a tad too easy and repetitive by the end, I was planning on liberating every station and doing every defector on the map but I don't know if I have it in me. While I think the starmap/skilltree is a cool idea, I got to the point where I was purposefully ignoring the shops most of the time because I found it more fun and interesting to just roll with what you pick up aboard ships and mystery crates (though it's admittedly tough to ignore a rechargable stealth shield and key cloner for <30 drops...). I also would've liked more job options - typically I'm always just picking from the highest or second highest paying jobs because it's not worth doing the other ones. Considering you can leave and re-enter the station to refresh them, it's pretty arbitrary to only have 6 or however many.

I could list some more gripes but they're all relatively minor compared to how much I enjoyed it, legitimately some of the most fun I've had with systemic/emergent gameplay. It's consistently impressive and surprising how flexible the game is built and what you can do in it. I'd be there day one for an expansion with more mission types, enemy/ship variety, new tools, etc.. I wonder what will come out of the workshop because judging by the game files it seems pretty open for modding.

How much time did it take?

So I got an assassination mission, and I decided to try to see if it was possible to steal a ship on the way and use it to attack the other ship and blow up the rooms where the target is. And...yup, totally worked. They immediately changed course to presumably the nearest station, and started firing back so I had to be quick. I managed to destroy the room he was in and he went flying, and then they ended up blowing my ship in half along with some 1-room sized chunks. I could even get in my pod and re-hook up with pieces of the blown up ship as they're zipping through space:

Pretty awesome game.

Haha I haven't engaged in ship battles yet, sounds cool.

selfnoise

Just completed my first personal mission. I was about to give up on it and then someone started shelling the ship I was on: target was sucked violently into space. Picked him up, dropped him off on the nearest passing ship, shot him in the face. Not sure how I feel about that: procedural-tastic!

Of course, then I beat my first defector mission, which was incredibly satisfying.

Unicorn

I'm getting some weird input lag where WASD is being unresponsive. Making it really painful to move, even with pausing with Spacebar. So far it feels a lot like hotline miami with pause to react better. I'm sure with more tools it will open up, but so far the handful of missions I've done have felt pretty samey.

Radnom

Argh, I don't think this game is clicking for me the way I hoped it would.

I've managed to liberate one new station and get the intel for the personal mission for my first character. It started off very easy but all of a sudden all of the missions I'm getting now have enemies with shields or armour and I have none of the equipment in the descriptions it gives you of how to deal with them. I get quests to knock out enemies with armour but there's nothing I own or can buy that has the 'ignores armour' tag, lethal or not. I shrugged and started the personal mission anyway and came into contact with some shielded guards who don't react to my stun grenade, and deflect bullets. I teleported one of them outside the ship with a trap, but I only had the one trap. I accidentally blew another one out a window somehow, but they had the key so I was stuck. I jumped back in my pod and left and failed the mission (rather than see whatever happens when the timer runs out).

The time limits for missions are horrendous. 80 seconds to fly to the ship and do everything? some of them are pretty big ships. I find it really hard to read visually what's going on in the ship. The rooms are really busy with incidental flavour graphics, I have to enable the grid thing in the pause menu just to see what I can and can't collide with.

Am I just meant to do random missions until I get enough equipment from random drops or liberated stations to deal with the new things? I thought converting a new station would give me more equipment options but it didn't seem to do anything, my only options to buy are still swords and shotguns and teleporters that can't go through doors. Even the NPCs in the new station are exactly the same which is bizarre to me.

I also didn't realise this game would have persistent equipment unlocks. I wonder if there will be a mod or something to just give me everything, I prefer my roguelikes like Spelunky where I know I just have to get better at the game rather than feeling like I'm missing out on some key equipment unlock (and I'm not saying that's not the case here - I could definitely get better at the game, but if unlocks exist then I can't escape the feeling that I need to grind).

BTA

I've managed to liberate one new station and get the intel for the personal mission for my first character. It started off very easy but all of a sudden all of the missions I'm getting now have enemies with shields or armour and I have none of the equipment in the descriptions it gives you of how to deal with them. I get quests to knock out enemies with armour but there's nothing I own or can buy that has the 'ignores armour' tag, lethal or not. I shrugged and started the personal mission anyway and came into contact with some shielded guards who don't react to my stun grenade, and deflect bullets. I teleported one of them outside the ship with a trap, but I only had the one trap. I accidentally blew another one out a window somehow, but they had the key so I was stuck. I jumped back in my pod and left and failed the mission (rather than see whatever happens when the timer runs out).

The time limits for missions are horrendous. 80 seconds to fly to the ship and do everything? some of them are pretty big ships. I find it really hard to read visually what's going on in the ship. The rooms are really busy with incidental flavour graphics, I have to enable the grid thing in the pause menu just to see what I can and can't collide with.

Am I just meant to do random missions until I get enough equipment from random drops or liberated stations to deal with the new things? I thought converting a new station would give me more equipment options but it didn't seem to do anything, my only options to buy are still swords and shotguns and teleporters that can't go through doors. Even the NPCs in the new station are exactly the same which is bizarre to me.

I also didn't realise this game would have persistent equipment unlocks. I wonder if there will be a mod or something to just give me everything, I prefer my roguelikes like Spelunky where I know I just have to get better at the game rather than feeling like I'm missing out on some key equipment unlock (and I'm not saying that's not the case here - I could definitely get better at the game, but if unlocks exist then I can't escape the feeling that I need to grind).

Doing random missions to get equipment is helpful, yeah; make sure you're checking what enemies drop and opening the crates on ships. You could always target random ships flying by as well. Armor is currently really hard for me to deal with as well but that just means you're gonna have to think creatively with some good gadgets. Along those lines: the time limits can be bad, particularly ones that start upon taking the mission, but you just need to deal with the pilot and then it's gone. Focus on that first over your mission if needed, think creatively, and act fast. And if you can't do it: failing's fine; just get the hell out before you get get captured or suffer bleeding damage for no reason.

Liberation (beyond the ones that give you money) seems to be more about introducing new things/adjectives into the pool of stuff you can get but none of it is essential. I really do suggest (at least with what I've played so far; others here have had a lot more time with it than me) seeing it as more as each character's time working towards their own mission and the persistent endgoal of liberation than just a roguelike run. Personal missions are important, but I don't see each new character as a Spelunky-like run as much as as a chance for me to try out different play styles and occasionally arbitrarily roleplaying the way they should go about things.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

The key to enjoying is to not be attached to your character. The game is at it's most fun when you have limited items anyways, so whenever you find things are getting too tough just retire and start a new one.

sonicmj1

I put about seven hours into this game earlier this weekend, and I've really enjoyed it so far. I've already cleared one stronghold, though there's still a lot of gear I haven't unlocked through liberation missions yet.

The difficulty is a weird balancing act. Anything below hard is pretty much a cakewalk most of the time, and if a mission has lenient enough time limits and weak enough guards, you can clear a lot of stuff by just running around with a wrench whacking people. But shields and armor can be such a huge barrier to success that missions where those things play a heavy role can feel impossible if you don't have the right loadout.

Still, I love how dynamic the game feels. Most of the time it's very forgiving, but I find it to be the most exciting when you're up against a tight time limit. When the margin for error shrinks down, the rapid planning and improvising you have to do becomes really thrilling. The times where I've had to figure out how to cross six rooms in seven seconds with a random collection of junk to avoid being captured is when the game is at its best. There's one zero-second escape I pulled off that I wish I'd recorded.

The breadth of that continuum, combined with your ever-changing gear, means that you have a lot of room to make the experience whatever you want it to be, and you can't get punished that hard for failure. The life cycle of an individual character for me is about an hour before I finish their personal mission and send them on their way, and you can't lose liberation progress. As a result, I've enjoyed throwing myself at missions a bit beyond my reach just to figure out how to make them work. Basically every item has its place depending on the situation.

Can't wait to mess with this some more. I didn't even know about ship-to-ship combat until I entered this thread.

sqwarlock

The difficulty is a weird balancing act. Anything below hard is pretty much a cakewalk most of the time, and if a mission has lenient enough time limits and weak enough guards, you can clear a lot of stuff by just running around with a wrench whacking people. But shields and armor can be such a huge barrier to success that missions where those things play a heavy role can feel impossible if you don't have the right loadout.

This is probably the only "gripe" I have with the game. Even armored and shielded and whatever enemies are made trivial with the right loadout.

I had a character who retired with a silenced AP shotgun, a quiet AP concussive shotgun, and an AP shortblade. Combine those with a self-charging glitch trap, rechargeable long-range subverters and crashbeams, and a good amount of sidewinders. She was basically death on two legs, but I like thinking that it made sense considering her personal mission was to rescue her son (a previous character that got captured by the Foundry) so was going full rampage mode.

Then again, by the time I got to that point I was getting 10% liberation so it's real easy to see when you should retire a character and get that challenge back.

webrunner

My first character has a rechargable sidewinder and a longblade and they're like a fucking space ninja

only problem is the only three missions I have are my personal mission, and two Hard Bloodless ones which.. are a bit harder to deal with when your best weapon is sharp

I'm enjoying it but I suck at this game. My favorite mission so far was one I was failing, to avoid being captured with 2 seconds on the clock, I shot out a window, got sucked out into space and had my pod catch me and take me home.

BTW I got a personal mission where I started in space, no pod and was told to catch a ship. I was stuck, I couldn't move, no pod, and none of my inventory allowed me to move. Any ideas on how I was to solve that one?

BTA

I'm enjoying it but I suck at this game. My favorite mission so far was one I was failing, to avoid being captured with 2 seconds on the clock, I shot out a window, got sucked out into space and had my pod catch me and take me home.

BTW I got a personal mission where I started in space, no pod and was told to catch a ship. I was stuck, I couldn't move, no pod, and none of my inventory allowed me to move. Any ideas on how I was to solve that one?

A defector mission, you mean? If it's the one I've heard about/was mentioned here previously,
well, guns do have recoil after all.

Há ! Got the flashlight ship and the unique item.

The possibilities in this game are endless and i can see myself raiding a station soon in a DLC.

sqwarlock

So about strongholds

The character I used to "liberate" my first one died to liberate it (seemingly crashing a ship into the station). Is that supposed to happen? Does the mission text say that and I just missed it? Either way, I'm not mad, but I am a little upset I didn't get to leave behind one of their badass weapons as a legacy thing.

F!ReW!Re

Tried it.
That was my first thought too. The gun I have doesn't move me at all when I fire it.

it does, keep firing.
It's a defector mission

So about strongholds

The character I used to "liberate" my first one died to liberate it (seemingly crashing a ship into the station). Is that supposed to happen? Does the mission text say that and I just missed it? Either way, I'm not mad, but I am a little upset I didn't get to leave behind one of their badass weapons as a legacy thing.

wait what?
Liberate just happens automatically.
You go to the starmap, select which base/system to liberate and you see an animation of a liberation force being sent and it's unlocked.

Unless I'm missing something here.

Sini

I find it really hard to read visually what's going on in the ship. The rooms are really busy with incidental flavour graphics, I have to enable the grid thing in the pause menu just to see what I can and can't collide with.
This sadly killed the game for me. Even before it was released I was worrying that everything would be too tiny and busy to read, but I still bought it and got my fears confirmed pretty much instantly. Going to refund it soon.

Got one of my characters captured by the Glitchers. The next character had a personal mission to rescue them. I was doing pretty well on my goal there, had loads of credits and was ready to do the mission -- but it was going to be chock full of armoured guards so I was roaming around trying to steal or buy something armour piercing. I ended up getting tossed into space a few too many times and died before I could find the gear I wanted before going for the personal mission. Double tragedy.

Hopefully I won't fail this next character's mission in finding her husband. She has a cool skull helmet.

E-flux

at first the game felt a bit too simplistic but it got a lot more complex after unlocking a few tools, absolutely love it. It's a shame that there isn't a lot of dialog since gunpoint was hilarious.

sqwarlock

it does, keep firing.
It's a defector mission

wait what?
Liberate just happens automatically.
You go to the starmap, select which base/system to liberate and you see an animation of a liberation force being sent and it's unlocked.

Unless I'm missing something here.

Not referring to the small stations, but the major stronghold of which there's one in each system. When you liberate 10 stations, you get a mission to liberate the stronghold and that's when that happened.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So about strongholds

You set the course towards the station and then you're supposed to escape before it crashes into it.

sqwarlock

You set the course towards the station and then you're supposed to escape before it crashes into it.

LOL that makes sense. Oops. Oh well, I feel like a fucking idiot now.

To be fair I was only about three seconds away from the base and that thought didn't even register in my mind. Maybe if I was further away when...nah, I still wouldn't have thought of that.

Solid praise from RPS
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/09/26/heat-signature-review/
If you like toying with contraptions, though, Heat Signature is a great box of treats. The feeling of pulling off a heist in a whirlwind of gunfire, sword slashes, grenades and body-swaps, is a sensation usually reserved for blockbusters like Dishonored and Prey. But Suspicious Developments have distilled that chaotic kinaesthesia into something much smaller, smarter and spacier, which is absolutely to be praised.

Skittles

Wish there was a replay function that showed your run in realtime speed.
Same here. Had the funniest fucking thing happen in the game. Blew a hole in the enemy ship right between the bridge and the rest of the ship. Docked my ship and shot the captain. The rest of the crew heard and came rushing towards the bridge. They systematically walked through the hole in the ship trying to get to me. Meaning they all died in the vacuum of space. I just about died laughing because it happened so quick. Wish I could have captured that moment

XaosWolf

There should be a word for the exact moment in a mission when you say "Noooope, I'm out. *shoots hole in window, aborts"

Can we also have a word for having your objective get blown up by another ship right in front of you, jumping out of the gaping hole, catching yourself with your pod, piloting to the offending ship, killing all the guards and then spacing the pilot?

Finished the personal mission for my skull helmeted lady Meridian Arctan, she recovered her husband from capture. The ship was packed with shielded guards, turrets, and had key levels up to 9, and the docking point was a long ways away from the husband. So I had the ship layout scoped out and undocked with my brick pod. Then I crashed into the ship nearby his holding room, managed to stealth shield myself through a room full of shielded guards, picked him up, and slipped out without a peep. Meridian Arctan can retire to a happy life with her husband.

Had a personal mission to steal a thing to pay off some debt, the ship my goal was in was heavily kitted out so I took a detour to another ship, commandeered it, then made my way to the objective. I quickly docked into the objective ship, scoped out where the pilot was, then made my way back to the one I secured. With a precision shot I took him out and made an entry point not far off from the loot I needed. I dock and my prize is surrounded by four guards; three armoured, one shielded. I had an armour piercing shotgun with 5 rounds. We had a shootout, but there was an energy barrier covering the breach point as opposed to an air lock, I was able to do combat in my pod -- which would immediately revive me if I got shot, nice. Dispatched the suckers, stole the goods, paid off my debt, and retired to the good life.

KiraXD

Bummed this isnt a sub sim...

TuS1G4x.jpg

That ot title on purpose? I hope so....

shoelacer

Banned
I knocked out an assassination target and I see a tip that says I can kill them in the pause menu, but I can't find the option anywhere? Neither in the spacebar/inventory menu or the esc menu

Nevermind. Quit and reloaded and the option was in the 'things you can do here' menu

No word from the devs on the performance degradation? After about 90 minutes I have to quit and restart the game because my frame rate cuts in half.

Can someone clarify the Everything Gun stuff for me? It used to be that you had to steal the gun from a shipment within a few weeks of launch, but recently this has changed such that you no longer need to steal it to have it unlocked in your game. What I can't figure out, though, is whether you need to have found the gun at all (either by shipment OR by picking it up as a random drop) to unlock it, or if it's unlocked for everyone who's played before October 5th, regardless of whether they ever found the gun or not.

I haven't been able to play for a while, so if it turns out I do need to have possessed the Everything Gun at some point before October 5, that means I have a lot of random wandering around the galaxy and hoping I run into a stupid shipment or random drop to do in the next, oh, 12 hours or so.

Rahk

Can someone clarify the Everything Gun stuff for me? It used to be that you had to steal the gun from a shipment within a few weeks of launch, but recently this has changed such that you no longer need to steal it to have it unlocked in your game. What I can't figure out, though, is whether you need to have found the gun at all (either by shipment OR by picking it up as a random drop) to unlock it, or if it's unlocked for everyone who's played before October 5th, regardless of whether they ever found the gun or not.

I haven't been able to play for a while, so if it turns out I do need to have possessed the Everything Gun at some point before October 5, that means I have a lot of random wandering around the galaxy and hoping I run into a stupid shipment or random drop to do in the next, oh, 12 hours or so.
Blog post here.

"If you play any time between now and Oct 5th, you'll unlock the Everything Gun as a random drop. Within six months, we'll unlock it as a random drop for everyone."

So you don't need to find it anymore. Just need to play the game before then. Not quite clear if it's unlocked if you played before the blog post but didn't find the gun. You may want to just start up the game once if you haven't played since Sep 27.

Edit: I understand the confusion now. Unlocking it as a random drop is the actual unlock.

Before, if you found it on the ship you would then be able to pick it up on that character, and it would also unlock as a random rare chest drop if ever lost after that.
Now, you can just play the game before Oct 5 to unlock it as a rare random chest drop in future. You don't need to actually find it before Oct 5.

I found it on the flashing ship but died soon after and haven't managed to find it again from any chests, so seems to be pretty rare.

Having so much damn fun with this game. Tom Francis is brilliant.

Question, is there any point to the defector missions other than practice? The money you make doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Top Bottom