• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 Account Linking Reversal

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Laughing so hard at all the GAFers who've been sucking Sonys dick hard the past couple days somehow spinning this as not being a big deal and saying PC gamers are crybabies whos complains are not going to lead anywhere

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Instead of rolling over, PC players arm twisted Sony into dropping their bs.

PC players won, PS lose. PC players can now bask in the victory

randy-orton-entrance.gif

onQ123

1) By making PSN officially supported worldwide
2) By offering people something of actual value in exchange for creating the account and linking it, while keeping it optional
I said Pad the stuff you're saying are legit ways of getting more users

good for all players on PC. while I don't really mind it myself since I'm already signed up with PSN and everything, I can definitely see this as something that should not be enforced on PC. glad it turns out like I suspect it would with Sony backing down.

MayauMiao

The government doesn't store the info anywhere though. Neither does the company. It's uploaded, some AI verifies age, then it's deleted. The company isn't even allowed to store the data because of GDPR. Not sure why you think it will end up stored somewhere by the government, outside of some tinfoil hat stuff that is.

It doesn't matter what you say, they simply do not trust the way how government handles data after what happened before.

Three

It doesn't matter what you say, they simply do not trust the way how government handles data after what happened before.
The government doesn't even handle this data was the point, but OK I can see outrage clouding rational thought again.

tmlDan

well done gamers. now can Sony reverse Stellar blade patch?
If you want a bit more cleavage there's the hub for you. The stellar blade nonsense is pathetic, played it twice and just finished NG+ and the changes are literally non-existent unless you're a psycho who wants to fap at a tiny bit less clothing at the crotch and cleavage that is viewable on other costumes.

Hella weird behaviour from people like you.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Yes, it's a UK government guideline that came in only last year

Some companies haven't followed it yet though.
I don't like that at all. I get the thinking behind it but I just don't trust any company.

At work they ask for my driving licence every year for some insurance company to keep my details and I refuse. I say my insurance doesn't need to see my licence so your insurance company doesn't.

I know some cunts have got my details somewhere but limit it where you can.

xrnzaaas

Nice to see this battle was won, but expect many more in the future. Hopefully players will have equally strong reactions when needed.

Last edited:
Sony has two more GaaS games "soon". are they going to enforce the link account or they lost their chance with this massive L?

now that I think about it. if that tweet is real (we are learning).

is even more imperative for Sony to have their own store front.. But if they are still learning they are going to fuck it up so massively

BaneIsPain

If you want a bit more cleavage there's the hub for you. The stellar blade nonsense is pathetic, played it twice and just finished NG+ and the changes are literally non-existent unless you're a psycho who wants to fap at a tiny bit less clothing at the crotch and cleavage that is viewable on other costumes.

Hella weird behaviour from people like you.
pure projection. just want free last minute censorship

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony stepping down means they ultimately believe it's not "just an account".
You are making things up :), it means that it is not worth the backlash. It was a badly announced and scheduled change that they could have communicated more strongly at the beginning and ensured the game would not be sold to countries and people that could not play and they could have told people at some point this was going to happen, but they probably feared slowing the game’s sales as it was picking up. That was greedy.

Anyone that does not push the same energy for any other company account (Microsoft, Activision, Rockstar, etc… they all had breaches) pushed on top of Steam are hypocrites and they know it. The better question is that if there is any value for part of the players (console players?) in a single shared account whether it is cheating prevention or what.

tmlDan

pure projection. just want free last minute censorship
the hub is free, you can also pay people on OF. It's there for you if you're deprived.

Minor changes are not censorship, Stellar Blade is a bad example of the fight you think you're fighting.

Three

This is the part where Sony got humbled and learn that they are just another 3rd party publisher on PC, and that PC players won’t hesitate to slap them across the face if needed.
If they were just another third party publisher everybody would have accounts. 😉

Duchess

Thank fuck this appears to be over.

This account linking story has been everywhere, in everything, for the past few days, and I'm so bored of it.

lifa-cobex

Because they do for other major games, they will do it when GTA6 ships :).
Do what?
Everybody already knows that you will have to make a Rockstar account.

The difference being that Rockstar won't release GTA6 worldwide and then have to retract that.

Nobody champions having to make all these other accounts. They all suck.
It's called picking your battles. You get the right time with the right momentum. You might make a difference.
That seems to have payed off today.

On the other hand. I might be because people really detest PSN.
Perhaps PC gamers think PSN is lower than blizzard or EA.
Who knows>
Confused Who Knows GIF by Aardman Animations

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Great result for the players.

Nice to see Sony having to relent for once, I can only assume because they have no power over the ecosystem. Negative reviews and refunds probably did a lot of the leg work here.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Roll over and create an account for the game.

Everybody already knows that you will have to make a Rockstar account.

The difference being that Rockstar won't release GTA6 worldwide and then have to retract that.
They may for shits and giggles and people would still beg for some GTA online cards and move on. It was stupid for Sony to sell in those countries because they should have know they would then need to halt and refund those sales.

Nobody champions having to make all these other accounts. They all suck.
It's called picking your battles. You get the right time with the right momentum. You might make a difference.
That seems to have payed off today.
Possibly, possibly props to a good influencing campaign.
On the other hand. I might be because people really detest PSN.
Perhaps PC gamers think PSN is lower than blizzard or EA.
Who knows>
Confused Who Knows GIF by Aardman Animations
New publisher on the ground and the refunds / cutting players off have people a moral foothold hounds exploited well.

Sony deserves what happened as they knew it in advance, should have known at least, but they decided to have their cake and eat it too. It does not mean PC players do not roll over and make accounts when the right game they cannot afford not to play comes out so it is a moral outrage that well… does not mean much, but they can still shout victory I guess 😂.

BlackTron

Guys I know it feels empowering to think they did this just because people whined and bitched but realistically? It's because the move broke the game and made it unplayable for people in many countries which led to Steam issuing refunds months after the game game out.

If you really think PC players have such power to sway publishers just from complaining, then try to get EA or Ubisoft to not require their launcher for a game bought on Steam just because you don't like it...I'm waiting.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't know about the whole "winning" vs "losing" argument. Is it not the case that something that was going to happen, but they flip-flopped again after realizing the disruption it'd cause.

I mean, do people think that Sony are going to give up on pulling PC users into PSN subscribers? I doubt it myself, I think from their perspective all they'll have learned from this is not to flip-flop and that if they want mandatory linking it has to be there day#1, most likely with some sort of "PSN Global" account for countries outside of existing supported regions.

Sorry, but when gamers call victory on stuff like this it always seems to be temporary. They'll just come back with something else to achieve the same result for them down the line.

Top Bottom