• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help! Connecting a Win98 machine to a wireless network with USB..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I thought I'd see if anyone here might be able to help me with a little bit of a predicament. Basically, I need to be able to connect a Windows 98 machine to a wireless network using a USB dongle BUT this machine is not 98SE - just the original 98. Pretty much all of the dongles I've looked at list 98SE as the minimum OS - might they work with regular 98?

If I can't use a USB dongle, are there any other ways to connect this machine that don't involve opening it up? I've never been inside that PC, and the manual is no longer available..

Many thanks for any help! If I can do this, I can get my PSP online very cheaply..(my parents will pay for the wireless router if I can get their own machine connected, you see ;)).

Uh, your best bet is probably just getting a pci network card for this. They're about as hard to install as putting a piece of bread in a toaster.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cerebral Palsy said:
Uh, your best bet is probably just getting a pci network card for this. They're about as hard to install as putting a piece of bread in a toaster.

I know, but my bigger concern is opening it up and closing it again properly, since i've no experience with it whatsoever. I guess it might not be TOO hard..

If anyone has any other options on the USB side, I'd really be grateful to hear about it :)

edit - I just had a look at the machine, and the case is screwed together in a zillion places. I really really don't want to open it! :) Is it possible to get wireless adaptors for other ports (ps2, serial, parallel)? Is it possible that a usb dongle will just work with win98 even if there's no specific driver support?

Failing all of the above - what do I have to do nowadays to get a SE upgrade? Thanks again for any help..

alejob

If you ask me I would say that wireless USB adaptors should work on 98, you just need the drivers. Now there might be a reason why they say 98SE and not just 98, but I would take the chance and get one :D They are 30 bucks at staples after rebate this week.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I could take the risk, but I think there is a specific reason why they say 98SE and not 98 - 98 apparently had lots of problems with USB compatability. That said, i connected a camera to it and it picked it up fine...of course, it then couldn't find a driver for it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom