• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me build a Gaming PC!

Okay, so I'm planning on making a new PC (well a friend of mine will be doing the making)

I'm aiming to spend around $2000 max (I can be coaxed into spending more if need be)

Here are his suggestions for parts, if anyone has any advice on changing these up, it would be greatly appreciated:

CPU - Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770

memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

SSD - SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

HD - WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

PSU - CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

case - Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, come with Five Fans, window side panel, top HDD dock

cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

video card option 1 - ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

video card option 2 - EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

Sorry if there should be a pre-existing thread this should be in, I tried to search but couldnt find one.

I know noooothing about computers but my friend is pretty knowledgeable (hopefully based on these suggestions).

Again, any advice would be awesome

Thanks!

macewank

don't buy an i7 for gaming. not a whole hell of a lot of games out there that support hyperthreading anyway. i just built a machine and went with an i5-4670k

edit: and if you're only running 1 GPU, 850W is way way way way overkill.

killatopak

Gold Member
don't buy an i7 for gaming. not a whole hell of a lot of games out there that support hyperthreading anyway. i just built a machine and went with an i5-4670k

edit: and if you're only running 1 GPU, 850W is way way way way overkill.

Couldn't you future proof your PC with an i7 since the next-gen consoles are running on 8 cores?

Tenck

No GTX Titan Black? Are you even trying to get into PC gaming? /sarcasm

You can definitely tone it down a bit with the PSU and CPU for starters. Unless you're trying to future proof, save yourself some money.

Couldn't you future proof your PC with an i7 since the next-gen consoles are running on 8 cores?

Eight weak cores. An i5 is going to be just fine.

Pretty much what everyone else says, PSU is insanely overkill. For a 2000$ build you could go 780 TI if you want an exorbitant amount of power. The i7 is probably overkill for gaming though unless you really want the rare hyper-threading gains.

Camp Lo

Banned
Dude I got that same case with the cooler. You're gonna have to take out that side fan. There's zero, I mean no fucking way you'll fit that in there.

macewank

in short, no. Core i7 processors are not (at this time anyway) 8 core processors. They're 4 core processors with hyperthreading.

Hyperthreading isn't something a whole heck of a lot of games support, so the cost/benefit really isn't there right now. The Haswell-E chipset is supposed to have a processor with 8 physical cores that should be interesting, but right now even the i7's are running 4 with some software tomfoolery to make it sorta 8 (for lack of a simpler way to explain it).

--

edit: for the sake of comparison, here is the machine i just built

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K $239
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero $199
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) DDR3 1600 CL9 $169
GPU: Geforce GTX 680 $0 (already own)
HDD: Seagate 2TB SSHD $119
Case: Cooler Master HAF-X $199
PSU: Corsair 650W Enthusiast $89

Could easily cut money off on the case, motherboard and RAM if needed.

JLeack

Banned
I've been building PCs for over 10 years and am a CS major. Let me offer a hand.

CPU - Get an i5. You're spending too much if you buy anything more just for gaming.

Memory - Great choice.

SSD - Samsung is a top-tier brand right now. Great choice.

HD - I assume you'll be using this for offloading files like photos and such. WD Black is a great choice.

PSU - You don't need an 850W PSU. That's the sort of thing you'd get if you were running 2 GPUs (and I advise against this). Aim for a 650W Corsair or Seasonic instead.

Case - Looks like a decent case. Not a bad choice.

Cooler - I've been running a 212+ for 3 years now and she ROCKS.

GPU - Get EVGA. Their support is top tier. Also, only get one GPU. SLI (in my opinion) is not worth the money and should only be reserved for hardware addicts. The 780 is a beast and will serve you well for years to come.

Overall, it looks like a great buy and you should be running games at high settings in no time.

jabuseika

Use pcpartpicker.com, really, it helps.

A bit overkill on the CPU, unless you're doing other CPU intensive tasks aside from gaming, like video rendering.

PSU is overkill, there are sites that tell you the power you need for the parts you have.

Your Case is cutting it close on too small for the first Video Card you listed, and kind of cramped for the second one. Get a bigger Case, trust me, down the line when you want to add more internal HDDs, it'll be easy.

If you really want to future proof, get as much video ram as possible.

plainr_

If you can afford the i7, go for it. Arma will benefit from it.

Everything looks good so far. You can probably scale back on the PSU.

killatopak

Gold Member
I know that Intel is still running circles around AMD. What I was pointing is that game engines may utilize and be fine tuned to a processor with 8 or more cores in the future. So you get more performance from an 8 core Intel processor than say a stronger 4 core Intel processor.

in short, no. Core i7 processors are not (at this time
anyway) 8 core processors. They're 4 core processors with hyperthreading.

Hyperthreading isn't something a whole heck of a lot of games support, so the cost/benefit really isn't there right now. The Haswell-E chipset is supposed to have a processor with 8 physical cores that should be interesting, but right now even the i7's are running 4 with some software tomfoolery to make it sorta 8 (for lack of a simpler way to explain it).

Ah, I see.

I thought a game engine that utilizes 8 physical cores has the same performance relatively to a processor that has 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores. Or am I correct in assuming so?

He said his limit was 2k. If it was closer to 1k, I could agree with the rest of the thread to get an i5, but for 2k, what's another $100 for an i7?

jabuseika

He said his limit was 2k. If it was closer to 1k, I could agree with the rest of the room to get an i5, but for 2k, what's another $100 for an i7?

Past $1500 we start getting into diminishing returns territory. You're paying extra for very little performance increase. That is for gaming, if the PC is for also other things, $2k is nothing.

killatopak

Gold Member
Past $1500 we start getting into diminishing returns territory. You're paying extra for very little performance increase. That is for gaming, if the PC is for also other things, $2k is nothing.

How about investing in water cooling? Investing in parts you can recycle in the future is a very good thing personally.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I have that exact case and get the plus edition of that cooler instead of the Evo, it'll fit with the side fan. That case is GIGANTIC, you may want to find a smaller one. Also go for a better brand psu like seasonic. You may get less wattage but the quality alone will be worth it compared to corsair.
Edit: go for the 2tb hybrid sea gate hard drive too. You'll run out of space soon enough with that 1tb hard drive. Games are just getting bigger and bigger. I think titanfall is nearly 50gb.

jabuseika

How about investing in water cooling? Investing in parts you can recycle in the future is a very good thing personally.

I'm not a fan of water cooling.

But sure, water cooling is an option with his budget.

Most of the parts listed here, will last him this console generation at least.

He didn't say he was trying to create the best performance per dollar computer anyways. Yes, at 2k you will be paying for some things such as a nicer case or modular power supply that aren't really needed per say, but can make things nicer. I've found an i7 to come in handy with virtual machines and video editing. I'm sick of the hive mind "you don't need an i7" mentality as the standard response. Again, I'm not saying the i5 isn't enough for gaming, but he's willing to spend 2k, why the fuck not?

Mozendo

Have you considered a mITX setup?

I'm assuming with a i5-4670k, 8GB ram, and a 780ti it should cost about $1,500 or so. The rest you should spend on peripherals like headphones, keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

I'm gonna be shat on for this. But with 2k budget, it'd be easier to go for ibuypower or other boutique pc's.

Poor Jeff Green had to wait like 3 weeks to get his PC from Origin. It's up to the OP, but he said he has a friend that's willing to build it for him. As long as he trusts this friend and the friend seems to have PC's of his own that he built.

GreekWolf

I'm amazed that almost no one bothers to list a soundcard in their build anymore. I realize that integrated HD audio is pretty good these days, but (IMO) it still pales in comparison to a dedicated card.

I picked up a Xonar Essence STX last year and was completely blown away by the difference. The level of immersion when playing a horror game or even a FPS is astounding. Every shriek, gurgle and bone-crunching blow sounds like it's right in the room with you.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
One last thing: that case is really loud since there are so many fans. Make sure you get a mobo that can easily make them run at lower rpm or you'll drive yourself crazy.

I'm amazed that almost no one bothers to list a soundcard in their build anymore. I realize that integrated HD audio is pretty good these days, but (IMO) it still pales in comparison to a dedicated card.

I picked up a Xonar Essence STX last year and was completely blown away by the difference. The level of immersion when playing a horror game or even a FPS is astounding. Every shriek, gurgle and bone-crunching blow sounds like it's right in the room with you.

Most people play games with headsets these days that wouldn't benefit from a discrete sound card.

For $2000 you can build an immaculate gaming PC... if you are doing mostly gaming buy an i5 and put money into GPU upgrades. If you are doing alot of data processing and virtual machine stuff I would go for an i7. (Personally I wouldnt buy a AMD build unless I was going for a budget build but thats just me)

The listed parts would make a good build.

>:)

Holy shit this. Especially if you main a decent set of headphones.

Good headsets benefit greatly from good sound cards. I use Dr.Dac2 Dx and it sounds a lot better than the built in mobo sound.

Yes, good head sets and speakers. The problem is a lot of people get really crappy so called "gaming headsets". If you are one of those people that knows about the good headsets like the one you posted, it wasn't direct towards you, you know what you are doing.

puebla

i agree with those who say get a smaller power supply as 850watts is overkill and get a bigger 2TB hd as nowadays these games are huge. if you want to spend more money, maybe get a g-sync monitor??

GreekWolf

Most people play games with headsets these days that wouldn't benefit from a discrete sound card.

Yeah, that's true. Most of my PC games are strictly single-player, and I'll plug in a console and headset for playing with friends.

I just wish more people could experience horror gaming first-hand with a good soundcard and decent set of cans. I picked up a pair of Sony MDR-7506 for $99 at Amazon and couldn't be happier. The bass thump is enough to knock you out of your chair.

dmr87

What people have said already, i5 and the PSU.

CPU cooler, would have gone with closed water cooling, like Corsair H80i/H100i, more effecient and you get more space around the CPU.

A few things:
As you start spending over 1000 dollars the return for any extra money spent is going to become really small (unless you spend it all on multiple gpus, which I wouldn't recommend either)

There is no such thing as future proofing a pc
there is only a bang for buck point on the price/performance bell curve

Here's where imo the cutoff for performance is for gaming:
i5 4670k
128 to 256GB ssd for boot up times and loading in the few games that benifit from having an ssd
8GB ram (clockspeeds and timings help in a select few games, do nothing in the other 95 percent of games)
600W psu for a single gpu, anything more is massive overkill
whatever gpu you have in mind , I'd recommend nvidia at the high end for the downsampling and sgssaa support and better software

then for noise/build quality and convenience you can optionally spend on :
-a decently isolated case with two compartments for cable managment to help airflow like a fractal r4
-a nice and silent aftermarket cpu cooler (stock coolers are trash but an aftermarket cooler doesn't have to cost all that much, 30-40 dollars)
-one of these for your gpu since it absolutely shits on any of the custom coolers you get with any of the brands like sapphire or asus and doesn't cost a whole lot
http://www.overclockers.com/arctic-accelero-mono-plus-gpu-cooler-review
-some quality 120mm fluid dynamic bearing fans (one intake one out) for your case since they only cost about 10 dollars a piece if you aren't happy with your case fans (this is only if you are really anal about the slightest bit of fan noise)

things like a 1000w psu, super expensive mobo etc are pointless fluff, unless you are trying to set some liquid nitrogen cooling benchmark record or have some exotic demands for connections then a 150 euro mobo won't do anything for you

If you really want to pay good money for quality you can put it into a good monitor
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_fg2421.htm is the closest you'll get to a gaming monitor that isn't a miserable pile of terrible compromises, it is Durante approved too
a good monitor will actually be a large noticeable improvement, unlike a 1000w cpu or fancy mobo or 750GB ssd or w/e nonsense you can throw money away with

Same goes for speakers, you could always buy two nice 3 way bookshelf speakers or buy a quality pair of (non gaming) headphones and have sound that blows whatever you use now away

For the pc itself , if I were in your position I would spend 1000 ish on the pc, put the other 1000 aside, 2.5 years down the line spend 400-500 on a new gpu that blows whatever sli or titan black overpriced POS I was going to buy away, and another 2 years down the line upgrade the mobo + cpu + ram and that way enjoy high end gaming for the coming 6 years or longer
If you spend 2000 on pc hardware right now it will not be any less outdated than the 1000 dollar one in 5 years, so why not use the other 1000 to upgrade all the performance bits (and keep the stuff you can reuse like the psu and the case etc) to basically get a brand new high end pc when the time comes

Thanks everyone, this is all awesome info! Really helped...

Gonna reconvene and make some new decisions based on the advice

Edit: Oh, side note, we didn't decide on a motherboard, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

Top Bottom