• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me decide: 2015 13" Macbook Pro vs. 2016 12" Macbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So here's the scoop. My fiancée and I just moved into our first apartment, and I'm doing my best to downscale and simplify as much as I possibly can for both my mental health and to fit everything into the apartment. This means I'm selling off a bunch of my media and just getting rid of everything I don't absolutely need or have sentimental value for.

Part of this is downscaling my desktop to a more portable notebook computer; something I can use sitting on the couch, at the dining table or at a desk and then put up on a shelf or in a drawer when I don't need it.

Right now I'm using a 27" 2010 iMac. It's still ticking along nicely and honestly if it wasn't for my want (and need) to downscale I'd probably continue using it. After I move to a notebook I'm gonna wipe its' hard drive and sell it...which is going to be an adventure in itself. (Shipping an iMac is gonna be a bitch.)

apple-imac-mid-2010-27.jpg

To replace this behemoth, I've narrowed down my choices to one of Apple's notebooks. For the last month and I've been poring over reviews, images, impressions, and youtube videos of the 2015 MacBook Pro, 2016 MacBook and even the 2016 MacBook Air trying to decide what's best for my needs.

To begin, my only real prerequisite is that I'd like the new computer to have at least 512GB of internal storage. My iMac had a 1TB HDD and I was spoiled by that amount of space. I managed to reduce 900GB of data to around 300GB over the last month through deleting nonessential data and moving other data to an external drive.

To make things easier, I've decided to eliminate the MacBook Air. It's by far the cheapest option but it's also the oldest hardware. I can pick up a refurbished MacBook Air with a 512GB SSD for $1189 from Apple, $250 cheaper than my next option, but I figure if I'm dropping so much on a computer I may as well go for something more "proper".

Everyone always states that the display on the MacBook Air is reason enough to stay away from it, but after using a MacBook Air at Best Buy recently I honestly can't tell the difference between a "Retina" display and what's in the MacBook Air unless I get up close and start looking for pixels.

So with that, I'm left with a 2015 Refurbished MacBook Pro and a 12" MacBook. I'm not considering the 2016 MacBook Pro because getting 512GB of internal storage in one of those starts me out at $1700...a bit more than I was looking to drop at the moment.

So here's the 2015 MacBook Pro that Apple's online store is currently offering:

JFpyMsf.png

And here's a 12" MacBook with 512GB that Best Buy is offering:

YVrag9i.png

Now, yes, the MacBook is the more expensive in this situation, but I have a 10% Best Buy coupon that drops the price of the MacBook from $1599 to $1439, the same damn price as the MacBook Pro. And that's where things got a bit confusing.

I've been in Best Buy no less than three times in the last week playing around with the MacBook and 2015 MacBook Pro, which are conveniently right next to each other and I really can't decide which I prefer.

The single port on the MacBook isn't a deal breaker...I can't remember the last time I plugged anything into my iMac, after all. The clicky keyboard on the MacBook I thought would be a sticking point as well, but I think it's something I would quickly get used to.

So I'm hoping for a second opinion on this one...faced with the choice between a 12" MacBook and a 13" 2015 MacBook Pro, which would you pick? Heck, if you would go with the cheaper MacBook Air I'd love to hear you opinion on that as well.

Show me what you got.

Having played around with a MacBook for an extended amount of time:

+ Fanless
+ Almost imperceptible in a bag - that's how light it is
+ All-aluminum casing looks nicer than the Pro and its ugly black strip
+ Space Gray!
+ Impossibly good speakers for such a small chassis

- Wedge shape means the laptop cuts into your wrists as you type
- Speaking of typing, the keyboard is irredeemably awful
- 480p webcam is an insult
- The port situation varies depending on your needs, but when that one improbable situation inevitably pops up, you will feel like an idiot for buying a laptop that only has one USB port
- Throttling galore, laggy UI animations (thanks to the Core M), can be unpleasant even under modest load

I can't in good faith recommend the thing. Love yourself and get the 2016 MacBook Pro without Touch Bar. Use the Apple Education discount that they don't bother to verify for an extra $100 off, and it's right in your budget. Or buy from a third-party seller on Amazon to save big on tax.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Pro. Definitely the Pro.

Is there no available 16GB model available? That would be a nice bonus. Especially if it's going to be your main machine.

You would be an idiot if you buy that glorified tablet. Terrible keyboard and insane single port makes it a crime against humanity to pay $1600 for that pos. The pro is much more reasonable, but at the price I just can't stomach it. There are much better options out there.

jts

...hate me...
Pro.

I have the '14 model, love it to bits.

If I could imagine putting up with the new Pro, that at least has multiple ports, that 1 USB-C life in the MacBook is not for me. Not to mention the netbook levels of power and the keyboard.

Get that '15 Pro and enjoy life. Power, display, ports, keyboard. So gud.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Well, shit, that seems fairly unanimous.

Pro. Definitely the Pro.

Is there no available 16GB model available? That would be a nice bonus. Especially if it's going to be your main machine.

I've seen a 16 GB model pop up from time to time on Apple's refurbished site but it gets pretty pricey.

Buy here and get a discount (more with AppleCare purchase) and no tax in most states.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...pros-with-apple-care-plus-no-tax-in-48-states

Unfortunately that seems to be for the 2016 model. The 2015 model refurbished from Apple seems to be the better deal.

Mindwipe

I really think you have to try the keyboard on the MacBook. If you hate it, and lots of us do, that makes the decision veerrrrry easy.

Juice

Sounds like you're a little budget conscious, in which case I can't recommend the 12" MB (which I love for portability).

Because of what they did to the Pro this year I have now made it a point to keep my Mid 2014 15inch PRO as healthy as possible. I have even considered buying a second unused PRO from 2015 and leave it boxed up so that when the time comes and something happens to my current Macbook I can just slide over to that one.

I need USB 3, I need a Mag Safe power port, I need a SD card reader.
If those things are important to you too buy that PRO. It's the most versatile machine they make and someday you won't be able to get them anymore.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
For power, the MBP, for portability, the MB. My 2014 MBP got burgled earlier this year and I replaced it with a 2015 MacBook off eBay for £650. I do miss the oomph of the Pro but I absolutely love the size and weight of the MB, and it's pretty capable for most tasks. So it depends what you'll be doing most of the time with it and weigh up what suits that.

Futureman

why not the new 13" MBP w/o Touch Bar? That's $1,499. If you still have a .edu email you could get that for $100 off (or use that Apple Insider link above for what looks like $1,349 through Adorama).

gutshot

Gonna have to say the Pro too. It is such a great machine and it looks like the 2015 models are going to be the last true MBP.

You would be an idiot if you buy that glorified tablet. Terrible keyboard and insane single port makes it a crime against humanity to pay $1600 for that pos. The pro is much more reasonable, but at the price I just can't stomach it. There are much better options out there.

No, OP you wouldn't be an "idiot". Please ignore these sensational types of responses. My wife has the 12" Macbook, and she absolutely loves it. And, so do I, as an owner of a 15" Macbook Pro. People can scream "underpowered" all day, but it's had zero issues handling what's been thrown at it. If you're not doing CPU/GPU intensive tasks (gaming/video editing/etc) then it should more than handle daily usage. Whenever I don't have design work to do, I grab it for everything else. The KB is not "terrible", nor is the single port "insane". You buy a $10 USB-C to A adapter from Amazon and you're good to go.

Now, if you DO need additional power and more ports, then by all means grab a pro. But the 12" Macbook is in no way a "glorified tablet". It runs MacOS, and is 100% a Mac. The machine is selling extremely well, so that should tell you something.

PS- Personally, I'd grab the new 13" with touchbar. It's the most future ready out of all of them. I absolutely loved it while trying it in the store for a few min, and I do think the touchbar is genuinely useful.

BioFan

Here to say that I have the Macbook 12" 2015, and am using it to develop games. I use it for 3D modelling and texturing, though I experienced a bit of lag while using photoshop, I find everything else to be buttery smooth. It's an awesome little machine. It's become my main machine. And its definitely not that under powered like most people say it is.
But if I were you, I will get the 13" Pro 2016 without the touchbar if price is of concern. Get the one with the touchbar if you want to spend a bit more. I got mine for like $1100 new early this year. I would have gotten the mbp 13 if I were to get it today.

Water

To make things easier, I've decided to eliminate the MacBook Air. It's by far the cheapest option but it's also the oldest hardware. I can pick up a refurbished MacBook Air with a 512GB SSD for $1189 from Apple, $250 cheaper than my next option, but I figure if I'm dropping so much on a computer I may as well go for something more "proper".

Everyone always states that the display on the MacBook Air is reason enough to stay away from it, but after using a MacBook Air at Best Buy recently I honestly can't tell the difference between a "Retina" display and what's in the MacBook Air unless I get up close and start looking for pixels.
This doesn't really make sense. The Air is not just cheaper than a Macbook, it's a better machine in speed and usability (CPU perf, keyboard, trackpad, ports, arguably the Magsafe power connector) if the display is sufficient for you and if you don't need to shave off every gram of weight. The Macbook is the one with questionable "proper laptop" status. Going by your own observations you should be deciding between the Air and the Pro.

I'm still on the Air (2013 model). The last thing I've done with it was programming some custom vertex shaders for a Unity game project, so not just websurfing. I would prefer a higher res display and would pay extra for it, but I wouldn't upgrade just for that. 900p is decent for 13" and going higher is a "nice to have" thing.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I really think you have to try the keyboard on the MacBook. If you hate it, and lots of us do, that makes the decision veerrrrry easy.

I've been in and out of a Best Buy at least three times over the last week playing around with both models. The keyboard on the Macbook isn't ideal, but in no way is it a deal breaker.

Pro if you want power and ports, Macbook if you want extreme portability and no noise.

Ironically I don't need either. I'd rather do my design work at my workplace instead of bringing it home with me so power isn't really a necessity. I can't remember the last time I plugged something into my iMac so ports aren't a terribly big deal either.

On the Macbook side I don't really need portability because I won't be taking it away from home, I'm just looking for a smaller footprint than what a desktop machine offers.

why not the new 13" MBP w/o Touch Bar? That's $1,499. If you still have a .edu email you could get that for $100 off (or use that Apple Insider link above for what looks like $1,349 through Adorama).

The problem is that I'd like 512GB of internal storage, and adding that to the Touch Bar-less Macbook Pro brings it up to $1700, a bit more than I was hoping to spend.

This doesn't really make sense. The Air is not just cheaper than a Macbook, it's a better machine in speed and usability (CPU perf, keyboard, trackpad, ports, arguably the Magsafe power connector) if the display is sufficient for you and if you don't need to shave off every gram of weight. The Macbook is the one with questionable "proper laptop" status. Going by your own observations you should be deciding between the Air and the Pro.

I'm still on the Air (2013 model). The last thing I've done with it was programming some custom vertex shaders for a Unity game project, so not just websurfing. I would prefer a higher res display and would pay extra for it, but I wouldn't upgrade just for that. 900p is decent for 13" and going higher is a "nice to have" thing.

You're absolutely right. Fuck.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards the Pro. I figure the increased portability of the Macbook doesn't really apply to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom