• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENKaku -- Vita Homebrew and more comes to all 3.60 Vitas

Ok new issue.

I get all the way through everything. Insert the adapter and boot up, run Henkaku, activity light on the game cart starts flashing. Stuck on "Starting Taihen..." as it should be. Turn off screen, turn it back on...instead of front screen it still shows Starting Taihen...wait like 5 minutes, gets me back to home screen, open Vitashell / Molecular Shell and it opens but can't see ux0
Did you find a solution to this? experiencing something similar with the adapter.
think it might have to do with how the microSD is formatted. You need exFAT without a partition table. however, I thought I'd done this correctly so i'm confused.

Did you find a solution to this? experiencing something similar with the adapter.
think it might have to do with how the microSD is formatted. You need exFAT without a partition table. however, I thought I'd done this correctly so i'm confused.

Nope haven't solved it after like 3 hours ha. I think it's the SD card in the adapter. Because I get the light, so it's picking up the adapter card, but it doesn't pick up the SD storage.

I've tried the formatting part like 5 times going as far as resetting my Vita so the "backup" of my memory card is easy to copy over via FTP

Nope haven't solved it after like 3 hours ha. I think it's the SD card in the adapter. Because I get the light, so it's picking up the adapter card, but it doesn't pick up the SD storage.

I've tried the formatting part like 5 times going as far as resetting my Vita so the "backup" of my memory card is easy to copy over via FTP
did you use linux or did you use the win32disk method?

Ventara

Wait, what? Micro-SD card? What is going on? I have not kept up with the Vita homebrew scene at all, but I assume a physical modification is required for this?

Edit: Guess I'm off to reddit.

BroBot

SD Card? Is that the SIM Card hack? Possible without SIM Card?

They're called SD2Vita adapters. A micro SD card goes into the adapter and the adapter goes inside of the game cartridge slot.

sd2vita-adaptator-microsd-for-cartbridge-slot-on-psvita.jpg

Got my SD2Vita today, but I admit I'm a little paranoid about putting the thing into my OG Vita and then not being able to get it out again.

Win32disk with the zzBlank file

I might've gotten it to work. Tried with no files on (just trying to see if i can get it to boot) and eventually got it to work. I just deleted the partition via disk manager and then formatted with the settings it defaulted to (NOT the default allocation size option, but the actual default before you touch the setting).

I'm moving over my content. if this works, I'm in the clear.

BroBot

Please help a fellow gaffer.
Can share a guide to update to 3.60?

Sure. This only works if you're 3.60 or under.

Go to settings > Network > Wifi Settings > (Your Network) > Advance Settings > DNS Settings > Manual > Primary DNS and use 212.47.229.76.

Now choose to update from Wi-Fi. ONLY update if the message says “A new version of the system software is available. Firmware 3.60 (変革 Compatible)”.

Here's the detailed tutorial: http://wololo.net/2016/08/09/manually-update-ps-vita-firmware-3-60/

I might've gotten it to work. Tried with no files on (just trying to see if i can get it to boot) and eventually got it to work. I just deleted the partition via disk manager and then formatted with the settings it defaulted to (NOT the default allocation size option, but the actual default before you touch the setting).

I'm moving over my content. if this works, I'm in the clear.

Awesome, I hope it works, then I'll try the same.

i'm fairly sure the consensus is that the bottle neck isn't the storage media, so you won't get full benefit. Think the cap is similar to a class 3 or 4 card?

Ugh, oh well. I bought a clone off eBay for $4. Currently my largest Vita card is 32GB., Can't wait to put in a 128GB card and never have to swap again.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Nice. Installed Enso without any issues.

And... that's it for me. I don't have one of those SD card adapters, so I guess I gained the ability to turn off my Vita :)

Edit: What SD adapters are you guys using? Any recommendations? I don't mind not having a shell, since it's going to be stuck inside my Vita forever, but I already have 64GBs that I'm not using in full.

Awesome, I hope it works, then I'll try the same.
Okay, so this was a bit of a saga. I used the linux USB boot guide found in the comment section of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/6nwtkj/setting_up_your_gamecard_to_microsd_adapter/

It works. Pretty painless, just takes a bit of time.

I had issues, however, getting it to work with enso and henkaku started fucking up and throwing errors when i tried to install. Couldn't find a way out of the loop of henkaku throwing an error and not being able to use vitashell to remove the potential problem children. Formatted ur0 and the memory card. Rebuilt database. Now it's working, installed enso and moved it to ur0 with vita and molecular shell before even touching the adapter. Now it's working perfectly. I always swapped from the plugin used in that guide to this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzcqzW6QWZzzLTItUzB3dDZ3OE0/view?pageId=106113694444743551139

which mounts the memory card in uma0, which reduces issues with transfering files and such. This is all working for me now. goodluck.
Nice. Installed Enso without any issues.

And... that's it for me. I don't have one of those SD card adapters, so I guess I gained the ability to turn off my Vita :)

Edit: What SD adapters are you guys using? Any recommendations? I don't mind not having a shell, since it's going to be stuck inside my Vita forever, but I already have 64GBs that I'm not using in full.
I bought one from this account on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/ps_freedom?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

like i said before, I really don't think you're going to find many duds. It's literally just a pcb with a microSD slot soldered in. Any monkey who can figure out ordering a pcb and has the hardware can make one that's perfectly serviceable.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I bought one from this account on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/ps_freedom?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

like i said before, I really don't think you're going to find many duds. It's literally just a pcb with a microSD slot soldered in. Any monkey who can figure out ordering a pcb and has the hardware can make one that's perfectly serviceable.

Well, apparently, my eBay account has restrictions in place... even though I only used it once in my life, in Sept. 2015 and everything had been fully paid. Amazing. Once I sort out this issue, I'll look into these SD adapters. Thanks!

Edit: Got my eBay sorted out, bought a cheap adapter. It'll be here in around one to two weeks, so I'll report back by then.

Not that I'm aware of. 128s are confirmed working, haven't seen anyone using a 256 but i don't see why they wouldn't.

The 3DS has minor issues with cards over 64GB when it comes to some of their checks (probably just careless about the numeric type since they don't officially support SDXC), it doesn't cause problems but you get nag screens like you have an SD rather than SDHC card at times.

I doubt that will be an issue on the Vita since Sony clearly planned for at least 64GB cards and hence were in the right mindset from launch.

Joey Ravn

Banned
The 3DS has minor issues with cards over 64GB when it comes to some of their checks (probably just careless about the numeric type since they don't officially support SDXC), it doesn't cause problems but you get nag screens like you have an SD rather than SDHC card at times.

I doubt that will be an issue on the Vita since Sony clearly planned for at least 64GB cards and hence were in the right mindset from launch.

I have been using a 128GB on my 3DS for years now and I've never, ever had any issues with it, nor any nag screens at all... :/

I have been using a 128GB on my 3DS for years now and I've never, ever had any issues with it, nor any nag screens at all... :/

Every time you download something from the eshop it warns you that you may not have enough space because of your card type despite having huge amounts free.
At least it does for me.

That warning doesn't appear on my other system with a 64GB card.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Every time you download something from the eshop it warns you that you may not have enough space because of your card type despite having huge amounts free.
At least it does for me.

That warning doesn't appear on my other system with a 64GB card.

Weird. I'm downloading stuff from the eShop constantly and I've never seen that issue :p

Dark Rider

anyone can answer this?
I don't mind using email app to reapply henkaku, but if enso give something more than permanent hack, I'll move to enso

Since they are calling a CFW I assume that enso in its current form is the ground work and that they will add new features in the future. BUT I could be wrong and this would be it.

Dark Rider

for PSTV does using a USB memory stick effect anything? do I just install it to the official memory stick then just mount my USB memory stick every time I reboot?
Do I need to install enso after I mount the USB memory stick as ux:0?

Joey Ravn

Banned
anyone can answer this?
I don't mind using email app to reapply henkaku, but if enso give something more than permanent hack, I'll move to enso

Since they are calling a CFW I assume that enso in its current form is the ground work and that they will add new features in the future. BUT I could be wrong and this would be it.

Yeah, right now it's just a permanent solution that doesn't require re-applying every time you turn on your device.

That being said, it's dead easy to install and so far, from what I've seen, very safe.

Nightbird

I installed Enso.

I'm so happy that I do not have to worry about keeping the battery alive anymore. Especially since I sometimes don't have any internet connection.

This is a godsend! :)

Yup what a painless install

Still hoping they find a way to get this working on later firmwares

I have quite a few newer games that I own that I would like to be able to play on here as well

thematic

Yeah, right now it's just a permanent solution that doesn't require re-applying every time you turn on your device.

That being said, it's dead easy to install and so far, from what I've seen, very safe.

alright, thanks guys

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yup what a painless install

Still hoping they find a way to get this working on later firmwares

I have quite a few newer games that I own that I would like to be able to play on here as well

Eh. Don't count on it. I think that, if anything, they'll find a way to spoof the firmware version for games just like they do for PSN before actually getting HENkaku to work on anything beyond 3.60.

F34R

Well,if you have 3G Vita,you can replace the 3G chip with microSD adapter.

Interesting! I'll look into this for sure. I left my original 3g vita on 1.81 lol. I'm getting more info and then going to 3.60, etc. Any info on an sd adapter to use in the 3g slot would be appreciated.

Installing Enso was a little anti-climactic after the wait. I really need to get an SD adapter for it to make a major use case difference for me really.

Okay, so this was a bit of a saga. I used the linux USB boot guide found in the comment section of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/6nwtkj/setting_up_your_gamecard_to_microsd_adapter/

It works. Pretty painless, just takes a bit of time.

I had issues, however, getting it to work with enso and henkaku started fucking up and throwing errors when i tried to install. Couldn't find a way out of the loop of henkaku throwing an error and not being able to use vitashell to remove the potential problem children. Formatted ur0 and the memory card. Rebuilt database. Now it's working, installed enso and moved it to ur0 with vita and molecular shell before even touching the adapter. Now it's working perfectly. I always swapped from the plugin used in that guide to this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzcqzW6QWZzzLTItUzB3dDZ3OE0/view?pageId=106113694444743551139

which mounts the memory card in uma0, which reduces issues with transfering files and such. This is all working for me now. goodluck.

Dang I don't have an Linux option. But good to know it's an issue with the formatting

Update: tried all this and still doesn't work :(

Top Bottom