• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HENSHIN!! Official Tokusatsu Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

i get the cygnus thing, i just dont understand why it looks like his body was rejecting the switch for some reason. his desires got warped like with the others, but noone else ended up looking like they were on a 72 hour crack binge.

Well, it was mentioned that Haru was having an abnormal evolution with the Switch, and his Zodiarts form kept changing. I guess that the changes of his standard appearance were connected to that.

Who ever wins we all get cake!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

kougami.jpg

I never expected it, but they really nailed the parody. It's like the writers opened the Super Sentai TVtropes page and tried to put as many as possible into an episode.

The best part was where they go "We haven't gotten any stronger...but all of a sudden we're winning!"

WillyFive

I never expected it, but they really nailed the parody. It's like the writers opened the Super Sentai TVtropes page and tried to put as many as possible into an episode.

They do have a history of looking up their own shows on Wikis, like how they copied and pasted the Wikipedia pages for Super Sentai into the text crawls in the opening of Go-Busters.

What episode has the best suspender snap though?

Probably the one when he had a mental breakdown in front of a class, and started snapping his suspenders non-stop.

shaowebb

I got a question for the tokusatsu guys here. I've been largely using different Kamen Rider series as a source of inspiration in designing stuff for animation school. Since my goal was largely to see as many designs at once as I could I started by watching Kamen Rider Decade. Yeah, I know...its largely a fan fic style deal that won't give me more than a vague idea of elements in each Rider's actual series, but it felt like a pretty decent intro to them all as a warm up none the less.

Anyhow here is my question...the last episode of Kamen Rider Decade is Episode 31 and its a cliffhanger that has a preview of all kinds of crazy stuff like
final form Kivaara in a fight WTF!?
. The All Riders vs Daishocker movie isn't the followup to it either. Is "Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider W & Decade: Movie War 2010" what I need to watch in order to see all that previewed stuff at the end of episode 31 to find out how Kamen Rider Decade ends or is there something else?

Hoping its the movie...its got friggin Skull and Joker in it if im not mistaken and I am EAGER to watch Skull. So smooth.

Nothing really follows up on the preview that ended the Decade series. It was just stuff they filmed in a "here's the kinda stuff we're gonna do maybe" thing before the movie actually got underway, and plans changed on the way to production.

In fitting with the story of the series being a mess, the conclusion to Decade is kind of a clusterfuck as well. The show pretty much has two alternate endings in All Riders vs Dai Shocker and Movie Wars 2010, though MW2010 is the "proper" one (and does use
that Kivaara suit
from the preview).

shaowebb

Nothing really follows up on the preview that ended the Decade series. It was just stuff they filmed in a "here's the kinda stuff we're gonna do maybe" thing before the movie actually got underway, and plans changed on the way to production.

In fitting with the story of the series being a mess, the conclusion to Decade is kind of a clusterfuck as well. The show pretty much has two alternate endings in All Riders vs Dai Shocker and Movie Wars 2010, though MW2010 is the "proper" one (and does use
that Kivaara suit
from the preview).

Ahahahahaha! Oh WOW. Holy shit, I knew that Decade was a clusterfuck filled with so many odds on rage inducing mis-uses of other characters that it was insane, but the ending being that torn up is hilarious to me. Still it gave me a nice montage of Rider suits and abilities from other series. I liked Kuuga's weapon copying stuff a lot and Kabuto's super speed a lot. I was already a fan of W's ability to combine powers to create new effects from stuff I'd read researching Kamen Rider Eternal (badass) so I'm cool for watching Double next. I'll likely go back and hit up either Kabuto or Kuuga after that.

Any redeeming elements to Kiva other than a cool looking suit? Seemed kind of "meh" to me having a kid. Not as bad as Hibiki's music theme or Den-O's...well...everything but whatever. At least Hibiki also has some badass costumes and Den-O has EPIC RICE GUY.

shaowebb

i wonder how it could be done though.....

seeing king rangers staff on the wall made me mark out a little.

Seeing the Prymidas toy awesome too. Banban being his favorite ranger made the show legit.

and the show has a more likeable red than the official one. and the evil chicks costume is rocking as well.

Wait...what show is this one? Last I read folks were talking about Fourze and Meteor. Is there a parody show or something now? Sorryto jump into the middle of things like this, but it sounds interesting.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Wait...what show is this one? Last I read folks were talking about Fourze and Meteor. Is there a parody show or something now? Sorryto jump into the middle of things like this, but it sounds interesting.

unofficial sentai akibaranger. the first episode came out recently

Slayven

and the show has a more likeable red than the official one. and the evil chicks costume is rocking as well.

Haha the whole unofficial team is better then the official one. Although blue is suppose to be a fighter, the way she throws punches would get her wrists broken. I wonder if Red will notice he is the only guy in a sea of women?

WillyFive

Haha the whole unofficial team is better then the official one. Although blue is suppose to be a fighter, the way she throws punches would get her wrists broken. I wonder if Red will notice he is the only guy in a sea of women?

I like that this team has more women than men. Makes it progressive as well as fresh.

WillyFive

They did. Now let's direct those poor souls to discuss it here instead.

No one new is going to come into this thread. We are functionally invisible here.

If we want to attract new people, then we will have to make a new thread with a good branding (and no, having the thread title ask "You like Power Rangers?" is not the way to go).

Maybe something like AnimeGAF does it; like a yearly thread where the OP has usable information that can get people started (Let's TokuGAF 2012 |OT| It's Morphin' KITAAAAA?). Slayven had a good attempt with his Akibaranger thread, but no one had any idea what to do with it. (I want to do it)

But then, this thread will die, and it will end it's legendary 3+ year lifespan.

No one new is going to come into this thread. We are functionally invisible here.

If we want to attract new people, then we will have to make a new thread with a good branding (and no, having the thread title ask "You like Power Rangers?" is not the way to go).

Maybe something like AnimeGAF does it; like a yearly thread where the OP has usable information that can get people started (Let's TokuGAF 2012 |OT| It's Morphin' KITAAAAA?). Slayven had a good attempt with his Akibaranger thread, but no one had any idea what to do with it. (I want to do it)

But then, this thread will die, and it will end it's legendary 3+ year lifespan.

In a way I kinda like this the small scale of this thread. Discussions are more manageable, but on the other hand more toku fans in here wouldn't be a bad thing. This is probably my favorite Off Topic thread.

WillyFive

In a way I kinda like this the small scale of this thread. Discussions are more manageable, but on the other hand more toku fans in here wouldn't be a bad thing. This is probably my favorite Off Topic thread.

Another thing, a new thread will definitely be kicked to Off-Topic Community after a week or two.

Parallax

More toku fans to an extent aren't a bad thing. But then we could end up with a bunch of personalities blindly spouting nonsense like at henshin justice or riderboards. Which would definetely be amusing at first, but would eventually become an annoyance. If anything I'm more afraid of a minor scaled animegaf invasion.

More toku fans to an extent aren't a bad thing. But then we could end up with a bunch of personalities blindly spouting nonsense like at henshin justice or riderboards. Which would definetely be amusing at first, but would eventually become an annoyance. If anything I'm more afraid of a minor scaled animegaf invasion.

Yeah I would lurk HJ every and now and then so I definitely know what ya mean. As far as animegaf I have no idea what those guys are like, I've never been in those threads lol.

WillyFive

^ yea

I'm curious as to whats stopping this thread from being moved there?

No one cares or even knows about this place. We are so small, we sink so fast that mods won't even notice this thread exists.

If they ever find out one day and check out the OP, they'll think this is a necrobump and instantly lock it. One day....

Parallax

^ yea

No one cares or even knows about this place. We are so small, we sink so fast that mods won't even notice this thread exists.

If they ever find out one day and check out the OP, they'll think this is a necrobump and instantly lock it. One day....

We'll get dumped to community if we ever make it to 20k and have to make another thread. But what really limits the flow I think is the outdated op.

WillyFive

We'll get dumped to community if we ever make it to 20k and have to make another thread. But what really limits the flow I think is the outdated op.

Yeah, none of the images even work.

I'll try to make a new thread tomorrow with current shows and see how it goes. If not, then we just stay here. In fact, even if a new thread works, we can still visit this thread from time to time. It's not like people will notice....

vareon

Yeah, none of the images even work.

I'll try to make a new thread tomorrow with current shows and see how it goes. If not, then we just stay here. In fact, even if a new thread works, we can still visit this thread from time to time. It's not like people will notice....

Yeah, the only problem is we rarely see Snaku here anymore and he's the only one who can update the OP. Would be good if we get a new OP, but as usual we don't limit the discussion to current shows.

I definitely think yearly threads, or at least a new one where the OP is going to get updated, would be a good idea.

What's a toku?
Tokusatsu is a Japanese term that means "special filming". As a genre it refers to pretty much any live-action production that makes extensive use of special effects. In the literal sense, anything from Wonder Woman to Doctor Who could be considered tokusatsu but, much like "anime", it is used colloquially in English to refer specifically to shows and movies of Japanese origin or adapted from them.

What's on?
Kamen Rider Fourze
Strange things are afoot at Amanogawa High School. Mysterious monsters called Zodiarts are wreaking havoc across the schoolgrounds. Gentaro Kisaragi is a delinquent who's just arrived at the school; an outgoing guy who isn't above beating his friendship into you. Teaming up with his space freak friend and a resistant loner, Gentaro becomes Kamen Rider Fourze in his quest to uncover the mystery of the Zodiarts and make friends with everybody in the school. Along for the rider are the members of the school's newly formed Kamen Rider Club. It's space time!

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
13 years ago, an evil energy being called Messiah was cast into subspace when it attempted to hijack the world's energy supplies and create a world for machines. Now his minions, lead by the Europhile Enter, are trying to steal energy in an attempt to revive him. Three survivors of the event 13 years ago come together to become the Go-Busters, a force designed to fend off Messiah's Vagras and discard as many pairs of sunglasses as possible. Let's morphin'!

Hikounin Sentai Akibaranger
In the electric town Akihabara a 29 year old Super Sentai fan/moe anime enthusiast, a cosplayer and a would-be martial artist are brought together to become the unofficial squadron Akibaranger. Utilising the powers of delusion, they become the Akibarangers in an effort to fend off a mysterious threat and maybe become an officially recognised Sentai along the way.

Ultraman Retsuden
More a franchise retrospective than a truly new series, Ultraman Retsuden seems to be largely comprised of episodes from previous entries in the Ultra series.

Power Rangers Super Samurai
The second half-season since the franchise's return to its original owners, Power Rangers Super Samurai continues the trend of basically being translated Samurai Sentai Shinkenger scripts with some leftover Bulk and Skull scenes randomly stapled in.

What's coming up?
The big release on the horizon is Kamen Rider x Super Sentai: Super Hero War. An inter-franchise crossover pitting the Kamen Riders, lead by the fabulous pink man himself Dickeido, against the Super Sentai, headed up by Gokai Red Captain Marvelous. Naturally, in the usual Super Sentai VS movie style they're likely to wind up working together against some larger threat after either realising that it was all a misunderstanding or revealing that they were pretending all along in order to trick the enemy.

What else is out there?
Garo series
Do you need mature toku for mature viewers such as yourself? Then Garo is the show for you. I haven't seen either of these shows yet, but my understanding is that their standout features are basically "omg tits and blood!"

Metal Heroes series
Running for 17 years, the Metal Heroes series featured 17 different shows. Generally using a technological motif, a handful of these shows were adapted as VR Troopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs at the height of the Power Rangers phenomenon. A popular hero from this series, Space Sheriff Gavan, was recently featured in a vs. movie with the Pirate Sentai Gokaiger.

Tomica Heroes series
Comprised of Rescue Force and Rescue Fire, the Tomica Heroes series ran for two years. Skewing a little lower demographically than even Super Sentai, the Tomica Heroes shows are nevertheless fun watches that feature great CGI and consummate boss Hiroshi Fujioka.

Monkey
Popular in the UK and Australia, Monkey is a retelling of the Journey to the West story. Featuring a funky soundtrack, fun fights, the odd bit of Buddhist philosophy and an over-the-top dub, Monkey is a true classic

I'd quickly knocked this up as an idea for a new thread with the thought that I could put some images together, link to openings and put it up if people wanted, but I see Willy has since claimed the new thread so I'll leave it for him to do his thing.

Danj

Has AnimeGAf taken notice of Akibaranger, or is it too small for them?

For what it's worth, I heard about Akibaranger through AnimeGAF IRC, just watched the first episode and it's awesome. Really enjoyed it. My only problem is it's not anime so I can't put it on myanimelist.net, so I'll have trouble remembering to download it every week! (or however often episodes are supposed to come out)

I check this thread out from time to time. I've only posted a couple times here, but I enjoy reading it :D I haven't seen much in this "area" just several Kamen Riders and Gokaiger
I'll have a few things to check out though once I finish what I am on.

Oh and the newer thread looks amazing so far! Seems a little more...updated? I wanna try to keep more up to date on toku because I really do enjoy it, just finding the time >.<

Parallax

I check this thread out from time to time. I've only posted a couple times here, but I enjoy reading it :D I haven't seen much in this "area" just several Kamen Riders and Gokaiger
I'll have a few things to check out though once I finish what I am on.

Oh and the newer thread looks amazing so far! Seems a little more...updated? I wanna try to keep more up to date on toku because I really do enjoy it, just finding the time >.<

thats because this thread was made in 09, and the op hasnt been around in quite a while. if it were updated, it wouldnt be an issue, but we have a lot more casual viewers in the other, which is a god thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom