• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here is what happens when a generation gets educated by youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomerlaw

http://gizmodo.com/the-anti-science-craze-driven-by-millennials-1789926365

If you have noticed the selection of organic, GMO-free crackers encroaching on the shelf space of the Pop Tarts and Wheat Thins at your local bodega, you can blame millennials for ruining your midnight-snacking fun. Younger Americans, according to a new Pew Research Center survey, are the most likely to think organic foods are healthier and that genetically modified foods are bad. While splurging on organic avocados is unlikely to do more damage than put a dent in your wallet, anti-GMO fear mongering threatens to actually stymy the progress of science. And nearly half of Americans under 30 feel that genetically modified foods are worse than conventional varieties. That’s right, millennials—not stodgy old guard Republicans—are responsible for fueling this particular crusade against science.

Along with vaccines and climate change, food is one of the areas where the public’s opinion is most divorced from that of science. According to another Pew Research Center survey last year, 88 percent of scientists believe that it is safe to eat genetically modified foods, but only 37 percent of the public does. The new survey found that just 35% of the public said they trust scientists “a lot” when it comes to the health effects of genetically modified foods. Capitalizing on that public opinion, the anti-GMO movement has gained considerable steam in recent years, sometimes acting so aggressively that it prevents scientists who study genetically modified foods from actually doing their jobs.

As our eating habits have gotten more health-conscious, they have also become more and more divorced from any scientific fact. The idea of splicing some fish genes with a tomato may sound kind of horrifying and gross, but the scientific consensus is that genetically modified foods are safe to eat. This latest Pew survey suggests that there is a generation gap fanning those flames. A fifth of those under 30 feel not only that non-modified foods are better, but that modified varieties might lead to health problems, a view few scientists would endorse. A fourth also feel that modified foods might harm the environment. While it’s true certain applications of genetic modification, like gene drives, could have negative ecological effects, that’s an example of technology being misused, and says nothing about whether the technology itself is inherently bad. The survey also pointed to some shifts in behavior overall.

More than 60 percent of all age groups reported that they had recently bought organic foods and even among those over 65, 45 percent of seniors felt organic produce is healthier. But the trend towards a distinctly anti-GMO sentiment among younger Americans is concerning. Genetically modified foods don’t just mean crops that grow bigger or produce more. Genetic modification offers the possibility of a food supply resistant to problems like blight that can better feed the global population. And that is something far too few Americans seem to have realized.

We think organic food is healthier, Boomers get Trump elected.

I think we're doing okay.

EDIT: I'm very much pro-GMO foods. I don't buy organic. I was joking.

darkace

Banned
People don't ever listen to science when it conflicts with their worldviews. It's how it is, and it's not situated solely in one side of the political aisle. The greatest challenge policy-makers have is enacting good policy in a democratic society where people are misinformed.

but youtube has a bunch of really great educational channels too.....

Damnit I thought the GMO debate has moved on to the next phase

are we literally back to square one on every topic until people catch up?

Fularu

Banned
I'm sure Mosanto is championing GMO for science's sake and absolutely not to make every farmer completely dependent on them to get seeds since their crops would be sterile and useless for future ones.

It's not like GMO's are usually tasteless and devoid of any real quality either.

Yep, they'Re hated because people hate science.

I buy organic when it's feasible, because I don't want to eat pesticides. Fucking sue me.

Don't care about GMO.

Also, YouTube and blame millennials? Anti GMO is a market trend to try to capture the money of people who tend to care about eating more natural food. It's a fucking trick. Blame the evil corporations, not the people who maybe do or don't care about GMO, but generally care about healthier eating and err on the side of safety.

Beartruck

I'm sure Mosanto is championing GMO for science's sake and absolutely not to make every farmer completely dependent on them to get seeds since their crops would be sterile and useless for future ones.

It's not like GMO's are usually tasteless and devoid of any real quality either.

It is estimated that without GMOs there would over a BILLION fewer people on the planet. You may not like Monsanto as a company but if GMOs stopped existing tomorrow it would be an unprecedented global crisis.

jem0208

GMOs are designed to make food tastier, more resistant to disease and generally better quality...

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42

Like literally nothing in this post is true.

Monsanto isn't the only company that makes GMOs, seeds are less efficient if reused, and GMOs aren't tasteless at all.

The scientific consensus is that GMOs are safe.

Organic fruits and vegetables usually taste better because they aren't artificially ripened. Organic bananas have a longer shelf life and are still perfect inside even when the entire peel is browned.

Oppo

where's the anti-Golden Rice guy? be here soon i bet.

not sure you can lay all this at the feet of millennials since, uh, the previous gen was responsible for their education.

me - i blame Greenpeace going insane as an organization, in large part.

sohois

Why does Monsanto's support matter to your opinion of GMOs? They are a not particularly bad or particularly large firm whilst GMO foods will have global impacts far beyond Monsanto's P&L statement.

As for your second statement, given that crops and animals have had their genes selected for since agriculture began, and that undomesticated varieties of many crops are completely inedible, I'd say you probably have no idea what you're talking about

Gnome

not sure you can lay all this at the feet of millennials since, uh, the previous gen was responsible for their education.
No, we must throw other generations under the bus, it's the only way to feel superior!

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"Genetically Modified Organism" is a pretty broad term. Saying something like "Genetically modified organisms were designed for ultimate tastiness and maximum consumer happiness" sounds weird to me.

Eh, I don't care either way. Put it in my mouth.

slit

I buy organic when it's feasible, because I don't want to eat pesticides. Fucking sue me.

Don't care about GMO.

Also, YouTube and blame millennials? Anti GMO is a market trend to try to capture the money of people who tend to care about eating more natural food. It's a fucking trick. Blame the evil corporations, not the people who maybe do or don't care about GMO, but generally care about healthier eating and err on the side of safety.

Newflash: You're eating pesticides like Pyrethrin.

exciter300.jpg

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Like literally nothing in this post is true.

Monsanto isn't the only company that makes GMOs, seeds are less efficient if reused, and GMOs aren't tasteless at all.

The scientific consensus is that GMOs are safe.

They're technically not even Monsanto anymore since Bayer bought them.

But yeah somehow other companies like Dow, Syngenta, BASF, and DuPont get literally zero of the ongoing GMO hate because they weren't in that horribly biased "Food Inc" documentary that young people love.

Is Mosanto stopping these farmers from using different crops? No.

Are they in it to make money? Of course. Just like the companies researching cancer and aids.

You got anything to back up that "tasteless and devoid of real quality" claim? What is "real quality"?

You are still eating pesticides. In fact, you are likelier eating MORE pesticides by buying organic.

This post is a shining example of when I say "people are too divorced from the food they eat".

1. Farmers already buy new seed each year. They do this because HYBRID plants require seed be bought every year. Hybrid plants do not breed true from one generation to the next. Hybrid plants are grown because they produce higher yields with less resources than heirloom crops. Heirlooms are also far more susceptible to diseases and pests then hybrid or GMO crops.

2. Monsanto is not the only group championing GMO foods. Texas A&M and sever other large universities have farm programs delving into this, most recently generating a heat less jalapeño. Peoplease get so blinded by their hatred for Monsanto that they can't separate that from GMO foods.

3. GMO is the least impacting factor in how food tastes. Time from plant to table is basically the single largest factor, and literally the PRIME reason that I only eat tomatoes when I grow them.

Seriously. More people need to start small gardens so they can get an inkling of what actually goes into growing food, and why people look at antiGMO-ers the same way people look at antivaccers.

Nivash

Wow that's a lot of lies in one post. Firstly, GMO seeds are not sterile. The terminator gene is a myth - it was never used. Secondly, farmers don't replant non-GMO seeds either because the vast, vast, vast majority or seeds in use are hybrids that don't breed true. Sure, there are heirlooms, but they are markedly inferior.

And no, there's no taste difference between GMO and non-GMO plants. Or, if there is, it's probably the other way around - GMO plants have the potential to taste better.

http://theplate.nationalgeographic....-foods-are-tastier-and-healthier-study-finds/

eggandI

Banned
You see it in pretty much any food discussion these days. There's always a couple of dipshits who think they're wise and virtuous for telling other to "buy organic bro don't put none of that fake shit in your body!".

me - i blame Greenpeace going insane as an organization, in large part.
Greenpeace is one of those PETA type organizations. Sure everyone agrees that X is a bad thing, but holy shit are they insane in their execution of protecting said thing.
My wife asks me to buy organic.

I just tell her I do.

I don't.
:O. Living on the edge, you rebel you.

Mathieran

Banned
Well every generation has its issues. I'll take this over the views held by older generations due to their bad education wrt politics, economics, and human rights.

Fortunately most young people are poor so they can't afford anti gmo and organic food so they can't really make an impact on the market.

Brhoom

Banned
I hate how Neogaf turns every argument into two sides.

I'm fine with GMO, BUT, the way it's used right now is not helping anybody. Food production decreased, it didn't help, it's mostly used for animal feed, it caused the death of many farmers in 3rd world countries.

The main reason for GMO right now is to use pestesides by the same company that made the GMO seeds, these pestesides are harming the soil.

I like some Organic food and hate some, if I like Organic it doesn't mean I hate GMO.

I'm all for humane treatment of animals. But the concept of all organic and anti GMO is selfish and idiotic. You cannot hope to feed the people of our planet without those sciences.

GMO's also produce much more desirable products to the consumer with less resources expended. It's a win win usually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom