• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Sanjay

Side discussion;
I always thought that having percentage based skills was worse than a countdown system a la HoN. Your submitting yourself to chance, which obv can go either way, you can't game the system to make sure you have a stun ready within a few attacks.

Its the same reason Axe fucking sucks in Jungle compared to legionnaire. You cant stack big groups of mobs and get loads of guaranteed procs on whirling blade. You might get unlucky and just get raped with no procs, it happened last time I played Axe.

NO NO NO ANDY, % based is where its at. Why they changed Spirit Breaker and Void in HoN as it was just to good late game. Just think about it, it goes through magic immunity and late game its pretty close to stun lock with good attack speed.

And your example on Axe is different as his skill does not really scale that good, he can't increase the chance as its based on how many people are attacking him.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
How do you deal with Gemini? And please don't say "put him in constant disable/stun" because that applies for every hero. I think I have lost 90% games playing against a competent Gemini.

And how does his ulti work? It seems like item effects aren't applied but I see people make Abyssal Skull for him.

Gemini is just brokenly OP. The only real way to "handle" him, is to completely destroy his team and pick a team of massive AOE damage like--zephyr, ra, magmus, behemoth, and then your usual supports or heroes like pyro/witch that can try to burst one wolf down. He's going to be nerfed (soon? I hope); honestly don't know why they didn't do it this patch. S2 leaving stupidly OP heroes in the game for months on end really hurts it's reputation; I honestly regarded HoN as extremely well balanced for a MOBA compared to my experience in DOTA 1 and people's talk of LoL. These last 3 months have shattered that though.

Mired in a losing streak that dropped me under 1500 MMR again. On a more positive note, I seem to be getting better at this game since my KDR's are pretty good now, or maybe I just play conservatively when I know my team sucks.

Dahbomb

You can't really AOE nuke the dogs, we tried that with Amun Rah and Magmus ulti while he was trying to slay Kongor. He just brushed off the AOE like it was a breeze wind. It's because his magical armor is stupidly high. Best way I have seen to deal with Gemini is to early on when he is like LVL1 ulti to just focus fire/nuke one dog with something like WS/Pyro ulti when he gets to low health. Basically after he gets like 3 bracers and Grave Locket (which are cheap ass items) he becomes harder to kill than most strength heroes.

Didn't know that the aura comes on the Fire version of the dog. That makes much more sense now. Thanks for the replies.

Sibylus

Banned
Side discussion;
I always thought that having percentage based skills was worse than a countdown system a la HoN. Your submitting yourself to chance, which obv can go either way, you can't game the system to make sure you have a stun ready within a few attacks.

Its the same reason Axe fucking sucks in Jungle compared to legionnaire. You cant stack big groups of mobs and get loads of guaranteed procs on whirling blade. You might get unlucky and just get raped with no procs, it happened last time I played Axe.
Then again, that percentage chance becomes invaluable when you have an item that can amp up your attack speed (like Mask of Madness), at times you'll start chaining together timelocks in short succession and prevent an enemy from fleeing or fighting back effectively. Methinks a static CD Timelock wouldn't have nearly as much utility.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not fond of the cooldown thing. Although it does make playing certain heroes much easier (Ramp, for one), it's also very abusable. With timing and patience, every hit you land on an opponent during the laning phase will bash. It's no longer the percentage skill it used to be, it's more like Kunkka/Gladiator. The effect is strong enough even as a percentage based chance. Giving players control over when they bash is just ludicrous.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So I'm playing a little Xcom, modeling my squad after HoNGAF.

3rd mission: Moody gets blown up by a tank in the first five seconds. Rac gets mind controlled, shoots Neki and Lamarcus. Rac then proceeds to get killed.

Kag goes berserk and kills himself, Archie, and thor with a grenade.

Everyone died. HoNGAF throws everywhere. Fucking typical guys.

Switftlame

Neo Member
You can't really AOE nuke the dogs, we tried that with Amun Rah and Magmus ulti while he was trying to slay Kongor. He just brushed off the AOE like it was a breeze wind. It's because his magical armor is stupidly high. Best way I have seen to deal with Gemini is to early on when he is like LVL1 ulti to just focus fire/nuke one dog with something like WS/Pyro ulti when he gets to low health. Basically after he gets like 3 bracers and Grave Locket (which are cheap ass items) he becomes harder to kill than most strength heroes.

Didn't know that the aura comes on the Fire version of the dog. That makes much more sense now. Thanks for the replies.

balanced hero u needed mag zephyr ra beh plague ulti then maybe u kill him if good bounces, idk what u do about his team after but at least dog dead :)

Meteorain

Yeah that alt is some pre-teen level pandering shit.

BTW Meteorain, what space marine novels are good? Space Wolves is garbage but are Ultramarines good? Only looking for omnibuses if possible!

Space Wolves is awesome, unless you're reading Lee Lightner. I dunno about the Ultramarines one, not read em. You could try Soul Drinkers, the premise is interesting, but Ben Counter contrary to his name can't quite count.....lol (he has weird number discrepencies).

Phandy

NO NO NO ANDY, % based is where its at. Why they changed Spirit Breaker and Void in HoN as it was just to good late game. Just think about it, it goes through magic immunity and late game its pretty close to stun lock with good attack speed.

And your example on Axe is different as his skill does not really scale that good, he can't increase the chance as its based on how many people are attacking him.

I think you misunderstood me a little.
I said Countdown, not Cooldown.
Chronos has a countdown/charges system - ie. after so many attacks = guaranteed stun.
Id rather have that than leaving it to percentage based chance? Increased attack speed makes sure you get more procs.

Axe is a good example - the countdown means its guaranteed. The reason i mentioned it is because 'scaling' it like you said, is like I mentioned, about stacking more creeps in the jungle. If you stack enough creeps as legionnaire you will kill them all and get great farm because your guarenteed to proc a shit load.
Same way with Chronos once you hit a certain attack speed you a likely to get near complete stun lock. Void is chance as to whether you could get a stunlock.

And considering ramp is insanely stronk with his stuns I doubt Spirit Breaker is better because of % either.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
For Chronos, I'd rather have the random bash, the chance is fairly high (25%) and so it makes it easier to get 3 lucky bashes in a row and just melt some dude. Spiritbreaker on the other hand... 17% is pretty low. Rampage's bash gives you complete lane control, good harass, and a controlled kill. Spiritbreaker's bash can give you a kill you should never have gotten or rob you out of kills. It's only ever amazing late game when you have a billion attack speed, but his playstyle is that of an early game hero.

Best way to deal with Gemini:
only play BD and BP and ban that fucker till S2 wakes up and fixes him >_<.

I have played HoN since the beta and I dont think any hero was ever this OP. Well the Turret was perhaps even more so but that hero was removed :3.

Guesong

If you look at his post history, it is because he made the mistake of stepping into a Religion vs Atheism thread in OT.

Never go into those.

kagete

Kapura never actually argues. He goes straight to the salty point that he thinks everyone should logically arrive to without contributing to the discussion. He seems passionate enough but needs to learn to prep in the kitchen before serving his dishes. Him being banned is like every other Tuesday on planet earth, except somehow your day starts better and the sun shines a little brighter.

Haly seems the opposite, as he actually posts in a structured format and takes the time to plan out what he's thinking before posting. I think he just made the mistake of calling out atheist threads for what they usually end up being - circle jerks. Evilore might have pulled the trigger, as he seems to be as much a champion of the master race as he is of being anti-religion.

I'm not religious by any means, but I used to be due to my upbringing in Manila where being Catholic defined our culture and influenced local laws. I love reading those threads but it's sad how quickly they devolve into branding truly religious people as idiots who are incapable of critical thinking. There are some very nice insights and points made by either party but I think moderation came in too early in that thread. I think that discussing religions should allow for more passion and provide some leeway for posters to provide follow-up replies, especially if the posts they are banned for are preceded with well-meaning arguments and backed by a healthy post history. #FreeHaly

kagete

I can't believe people missed Sanjay's terrible jibe at Haly's expense.

You should be ashamed of yourself for poking fun at people's disabilities.

I saw it, but didn't want to grace him with a reply. It would have been funny except for the fact that Haly lost his hearing from bomb blasts while saving circumcised Christian furries in Florida.

Kaper

Oh yeah, well...
Balphagore Q plus GK Corpse Explosion.

Which still wont be all that effective considering the corpses come out over the duration of his slow and neither of those heroes can hold someone down for the time it would take to set that up.

Guesong

Which still wont be all that effective considering the corpses come out over the duration of his slow and neither of those heroes can hold someone down for the time it would take to set that up.

We don't know the number of charges on his Corpse Throw, but I think it may be enough to chain-ministun someone long enough so that Balph would at least have barfed 3 corpses on him.

So 3 corpses minimum, plus X, where X is the number of charges on Corpse Throw.

Would be infinitely complicated for nothing really though.

Conceptor

Dire top lane solo as Warlock against a Huskar and AM. How would you skill him/build him? You have a Naix jungling and won't get TP support. Getting last hits was a little annoying because of the huskar and AM obviously and once they hit 6 they tower dove pretty hard..

Guesong

Dire top lane solo as Warlock against a Huskar and AM. How would you skill him/build him? You have a Naix jungling and won't get TP support. Getting last hits was a little annoying because of the huskar and AM obviously and once they hit 6 they tower dove pretty hard..

I don't even know if this is the wrong thread anymore!

Huskar is a half-ranged, so you should have been able to get some last hits or harass him to hell. Also, I have to wonder what the fuck was your team's composition if they sent Warlock alone in the short lane...(lol jungling Naix, just like jungling pred <_< learnt that the hard way)

But anyhow. You can't win the lane. Can't even break even most likely. I wouldn't do anything different other than maxxing Shadow Word over the other skills. It's meaningless to change your game plan to suit a situation you cannot win, so just aim for your standard Warlock build nonetheless.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

Shadow word/stats, probably using it exclusively for healing so you can get that quick 6 and then peace out. Go help other lanes push or gank, because once AM/Husk get close to/get 6 you're just a liability in lane anyway.

Try to ward the pull camp early so you can control the lane.

Dreavus

Was there a grave keeper alt teased in the trailer anywhere? I don't remember seeing one. I've got a few coins left from the double sale a loooong time ago, but I'm also tempted to buy Arcannis.

Gravekeeper looks like prime alt material.

Conceptor

I don't even know if this is the wrong thread anymore!

Huskar is a half-ranged, so you should have been able to get some last hits or harass him to hell. Also, I have to wonder what the fuck was your team's composition if they sent Warlock alone in the short lane...(lol jungling Naix, just like jungling pred <_< learnt that the hard way)

But anyhow. You can't win the lane. Can't even break even most likely. I wouldn't do anything different other than maxxing Shadow Word over the other skills. It's meaningless to change your game plan to suit a situation you cannot win, so just aim for your standard Warlock build nonetheless.

Shadow word/stats, probably using it exclusively for healing so you can get that quick 6 and then peace out. Go help other lanes push or gank, because once AM/Husk get close to/get 6 you're just a liability in lane anyway.

Try to ward the pull camp early so you can control the lane.
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I did just that, max shadow word and go stats. Last hitting was fine but it only got bad when they hit 6 lol - I had enough regen to stay in lane. Will do, next time.

Also Gues, I know this isn't the thread for Dota 2 lol but I was just asking HONGAF :T

Top Bottom