• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Chronicles of Entrath |OT| A DTCG RPG 4U&Me

Ryuukan

hMMK71U.png

Release date: January 26, 2016

Chronicles of Entrath is the free to play PvE Campaign portion of the digital trading card game (DTCG) Hex: Shards of Fate. This is the launch of Adventure Zone 1, as the devs have named it, that will allow players to create a champion and play through a portion of the world map and dungeons with card battles.

Classes and Races

ediYON2.jpg

There are eight races to choose from, four of each belong to two different factions, the Ardent and the Underworld. Please check out this page for more information on the major races of Entrath.
There are three classes to choose from with the launch of the Campaign, Warrior, Cleric, and Mage. Ranger, Rogue, and Warlock will be coming in future content releases, with Ranger being first.
There are also specific traits for the race you choose as well as specific race/class combination traits. As you level up, you will be able to acquire talents to improve your champion. Note there is a progression system that restricts what shards you can use in your champion's deck as well as the number of copies of per rarity. This is gradually relaxed as you level up.

The Adventure Zone

AZ1.png

The Adventure Zone is the world map of the PvE campaign. You traverse the map via nodes that could lead to NPCs, encounters, dungeons and more. Some nodes may have repeatable encounters where others can only be completed once.

Dungeons

DungeonMap.png

Dungeons are a series of encounters, some with branching paths, that lead to a Boss Encounter. Typically, your character will have 3 lives in which to complete the dungeon. If you lose 3 battles, you will be kicked out of the dungeon and will have to start over from the beginning if you wish to complete it. You will receive any rewards you’ve earned on your progress regardless of defeating the boss or not. Note that you do not lose any lives on the first encounter of a dungeon to save players the hassle of restarting for optimal progression. Adventure Zone 1 has 5 dungeons aside from the first “starter dungeon”, two of which are faction specific.

Loot

HexCampaign_AZ1BoosterPack.png
Lwq5pxC.jpg

There are new Adventure Zone and Dungeon packs for rewards in the campaign. This was done to give players who are not interested in buying packs from the PvP side of the game the experience of being able their own packs. There are over 100 new PvE rewards cards and almost 200 new pieces of equipment in this release. Players can also receive PvP commons as rewards from their packs as well.

FAQ:

Is this free to play?
This is separate from the competitive esport PvP side of the game that is pay to play. However, all PvP cards you buy or acquire are usable in the Campaign.

How do I play this?
There is a new in-game tutorial that I highly recommend trying before jumping into the Campaign if you are relatively new to TCGs or have been away from them for a while.

This is like Magic right?
You will find similarities, but many things are different, namely this entire campaign experience. A word of warning to veteran paper card game players: object permanence is a key facet of Hex: Shards of Fate. Many effects in the game stay on a card even after it leaves and returns to play.

I thought they got sued?
The case has been settled, enjoy the game.

Where is 'feature X'?
This article contains a brief roadmap of what to expect in the coming months.

Why did this take so long?
The lawsuit and major overhauls and improvements to the original design of the PvE experience. New content should come faster now, but only time will tell. Please try not to derail the thread too much over the wait. Feel free to create a new thread of your own to discuss the delays.

Why can't I be a female Dwarf or Vennen?
They don't exist in the lore of the game...yet. Please read the link about the factions and races earlier in the post.

Useful links:

HexTCG official site - Place to register and download the client
Five Shards - A Hex community-run site with great content as well as a community organized tournament series
Daily Hex Streaming - These guys are all from the Hex community and do a wonderful job of showing off the game.

So is this free or what? Backed this on KS ages ago, tried it for a while and didn't really dig it much.

Free in a sense that if you want to do competitive PvP tournaments (a la Magic) then the game is considered B2P (continuously) depending on how you want to play. Sealed/Constructed/Draft etc.

PvE campaign finally launches this week as well which has been delayed way too long for it's own good.

In truth the game's player base has died down considerably since it launched in Beta so long ago. Also a backer myself and all I care about is the PvE so hopefully this will bring some old players back as well as grab some new blood.

Luigi87

I'll give this a go.

I backed the game, and did at the PP tier, but I basically never play it. That has nothing to do with the game though, I find it very fun, but more intimidation in that I really should learn drafting and such.

PVE though is more or less something I can jump right in to.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I made a necrotic cleric then the server died I thought but there;s one dude actually in game on twitch so maybe it's the login servers?

Proven

I'll be looking forward to reading impressions. Don't have the time to get sucked into an expansive game currently.

Kansoku

Can I pass anything I get from one char to another? Like, I have a Mage and a Warrior, if while playing the Warrior I get a card/equip that would be useful on my Mage, can I pass it to him?

Qvoth

guess i'll get back on it and see what this pve is about
was using a red orc deck when i was playing the frost arena

Ryuukan

Can I pass anything I get from one char to another? Like, I have a Mage and a Warrior, if while playing the Warrior I get a card/equip that would be useful on my Mage, can I pass it to him?

Your entire collection is accessible to all your champions, but I think you can't access it until you finish the starting area

Will be interesting to see how the PvE economy works out and if it'll be viable at all to sell PvE loot to at least subsidize PVP play.

Darkroronoa

ah i cant login :'( I input password and tick the boxes but after a while it throws me back to login. :/
Anyone had any luck by spamming login?

Shai-Tan

Banned
They said they are rebooting them on twitter but even if you can get in I wouldn't expect it to be smooth sailing. Day 1 crush on servers tends to happen in every online game (one reason they avoid giving eta in other games like Hearthstone after the disasters in the first few expansions). Hopefully it's just the peak load and not a problem with scalability due to insufficient stress testing.

Ryuukan

10 minutes from this post was the original estimate yesterday on when the servers would be up today, so here's hoping its straightened out shortly

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Didn't see the new thread, anyone tried campaign yet? Saw the post that servers&campaign are supposed to be up now

Shai-Tan

Banned
I've been playing through the lag. An elf mage and necrotic priest. Haven't gotten far yet. The dialogue is a bit painful (full of exposition) but I wasn't expecting much. The overworld reminds me of Might and Magic Clash of Heroes. It's hard to judge the encounters because it's mostly tutorial fodder. I've tried to only use cards the campaign gives at least until I run into something that's actually difficult.

Aselith

I've been playing through the lag. An elf mage and necrotic priest. Haven't gotten far yet. The dialogue is a bit painful (full of exposition) but I wasn't expecting much. The overworld reminds me of Might and Magic Clash of Heroes. It's hard to judge the encounters because it's mostly tutorial fodder. I've tried to only use cards the campaign gives at least until I run into something that's actually difficult.

Yeah this is a slow paced game anyways so waiting for campaign elements to load isn't too bad if you've got something else to do in the meantime. The matches play just fine.

I just got through the practice sparring match and the dialogue isn't fantastic or anything so far but it's serviceable and the game is fun. I hope there's some replayability cooked into the campaign though.

I don't really like the way they changed the interface...thought it looked better before but it's fine.

Ryuukan

Server going down in an hour for patch to fix latency and other stuff

edit: 4 hour estimated downtime till 10am PST

Smiley90

i had no lag yesterday

now? ALL THE LAG

but it;'s actually a lot of fun

Shai-Tan

Banned
The wyrm desert seems pretty hard with just the cards the pve gives an elf (mage). I guess I shouldn't have loaded my deck with gnomes. Is there a strategy for it?

Smiley90

The wyrm desert seems pretty hard with just the cards the pve gives an elf (mage). I guess I shouldn't have loaded my deck with gnomes. Is there a strategy for it?

LOL I'm literally stuck at the same part. I'm gonna try it with my regular Frost Arena Shinhare deck now, as much as with the card restrictions I'm able to replicate it. such a pain lol.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I ended up going through the easiest east side and just didn't play resources after they tunneled since the wyrms get -1 on the tunnel every time you play a resource.

Smiley90

I ended up going through the easiest east side and just didn't play resources after they tunneled since the wyrms get -1 on the tunnel every time you play a resource.

I solved it with Uurunaz

YOUR WORMOIDS ARE MINE NOW

Was not expecting much but campaign has been pretty damn good so far. Needs a lot of QoL stuff for like invy and card mgmt., but I was honestly expecting a hot mess and it's not that. Still years late, but happy they're at least getting somewhere.

Smiley90

I have a Shinhare deck

The Killepede encounter gives all my troups -1/-1

I HAVE NO TROOPS

... i'll put that encounter aside for now

i like some of the more challenging encounters and figuring out a strategy to beat them, but it's pretty time-consuming to just reload a battle 20 times until I draw the right cards

the adventure/RPG/dungeon-crawling stuff could have been better. it's like a text adventure, but I'm not really excited by the story.
for every meaningful dialogue choice, there are 100 fake choices that all lead to the same outcome. it's not an actual RPG

but if it's a fun way for new players to get introduced to the game, I guess it's serving its purpose. I'll look forward to the more MMO/PVP stuff

Shai-Tan

Banned
yeah, I noticed that too about the "choice". In the few instances where it caused a different quest outcome it seemed purely about expressing a preference rather than causing some branching in the story. It doesn't make it not an rpg but there's room for a lot of improvement there along with the talent side which is a bit shallow up to level 9 for character differentiation. I was playing a mage and they don't give many spells up to that point.

Aselith

i like some of the more challenging encounters and figuring out a strategy to beat them, but it's pretty time-consuming to just reload a battle 20 times until I draw the right cards

the adventure/RPG/dungeon-crawling stuff could have been better. it's like a text adventure, but I'm not really excited by the story.
for every meaningful dialogue choice, there are 100 fake choices that all lead to the same outcome. it's not an actual RPG

but if it's a fun way for new players to get introduced to the game, I guess it's serving its purpose. I'll look forward to the more MMO/PVP stuff

There may be some subtlety to what you're saying that I'm missing but basically every choice based narrative game presents you with lots of options that end up not being meaningful in the slightest in the end. It gives you more chances to make decisions without the dev team having to write 600 thousand endings to the story. That's kind of the essence of roleplaying since your choice there is purely based on what you want your character to act like rather than an assumption of how it will end up effecting the story.

Ryuukan

Servers down again for another hotfix to address load

I actually beat killipede first try with mono ruby orcs

trained ridge raiders with equip mvp

Shai-Tan

Banned
There may be some subtlety to what you're saying that I'm missing but basically every choice based narrative game presents you with lots of options that end up not being meaningful in the slightest in the end. It gives you more chances to make decisions without the dev team having to write 600 thousand endings to the story. That's kind of the essence of roleplaying since your choice there is purely based on what you want your character to act like rather than an assumption of how it will end up effecting the story.

Sure, but there are clearly different degrees of outcomes, branching, etc. In many games they take the equivalent of episodic in tv where within the quest (usually clearly defined) choices cause some branching and ultimately a different outcome of that one sub-story. But there's rarely anything equivalent to serialized tv where many aspects of the story affect the whole (games that attempt to weave choice into a greater outcome have generally made it like a tabulation to recount in epilogue rather than alter ongoing story). Meanwhile in this game I see no consequence of choice even in the episodic (quest) level so I think it's a valid criticism, although I don't think it's an essential quality of an rpg.

i only define role-playing choices as ones which have an effect on how the world treats me or how the story develops. i don't need to know what the effect will be and maybe a game doesn't need 100% of the choices to have an effect. but when almost nothing has an effect, then it's hard to care about any of the options

it's not a unique problem with Hex. i dislike the role-playing in most games with fake choices

anyways it's mainly a strategy card game, not a RPG.
it's not the end of the world if I don't like the role-playing

PSqueak

Banned
Been playing this since it launched, pretty fun, but the absurdly long load times are slowly killing me, it's astounding, at first i thought it might be my PC or ISP but i noticed everyone in the chat complaining about it, guess they didn't expect so much people jumping in for the single player.

Kyuur

Probably won't get a chance to jump into the PvE this weekend like I had planned. Can someone confirm that there's no cooperative play of any sort yet?

Top Bottom