• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Rich!

Is the CD version outrageously priced yet? Might be a viable alternative, and the load times aren't bad.

Maybe...

I asked him if I could borrow his, and he told me to fuck off lol. He has a decent console-ized mvs. Not sure where he got it or what make it is though.

grendelrt

I picked up Windjammers MVS on Ebay last week for 80. Little high vs were it has been in the past, but from what I have seen 60-80 is going to be the bottom barrel price going forward. The last few auctions I had watched on Ebay were in the 100-140 area, so 80 felt like a steal lol.

I picked up Windjammers MVS on Ebay last week for 80. Little high vs were it has been in the past, but from what I have seen 60-80 is going to be the bottom barrel price going forward. The last few auctions I had watched on Ebay were in the 100-140 area, so 80 felt like a steal lol.

Yeah the only one on ebay right now is 119 and is in terrible shape. The seller also has no board pictures, so it could easily be a boot.

robot

Wow, I remember when Windjammers was around 40 when I bought it 8 or so years ago.

Amazing game though. I'd say it's worth $100 easily.

grendelrt

Yeah the only one on ebay right now is 119 and is in terrible shape. The seller also has no board pictures, so it could easily be a boot.

The one I got had a fully intact american label, clear case, good boards, and a beat up mini marquee. I think the lowest price I have seen on the forums was 70+shipping in the past 6 months, so 80+shipping was enough to make me jump since it sells in like 3secs whenever it goes up on the forums.

The one I got had a fully intact american label, clear case, good boards, and a beat up mini marquee. I think the lowest price I have seen on the forums was 70+shipping in the past 6 months, so 80+shipping was enough to make me jump since it sells in like 3secs whenever it goes up on the forums.

Dang nice pickup! I would love to find a deal like that. I don't believe it is that rare, just another victim of increased coverage. Giant Bomb mentioning it consistently has driven the price up it seems.

antibolo

Banned
Yeah I mean the cheapest Garou I can find that looks to be real (board pics) is 240. Well over half of the listings are from the same guy who is a known bootlegger, it is rough. The only Windjammers I can find is not in good shape and is from France which is one place the NG forums said to avoid due to boots.

Avoiding an entire country (that is not China) seems kinda dumb.

France has a pretty big Japanese retro scene. In fact many (if not most) of the export-oriented shops in Japan are owned by French expats.

I am not going to avoid the whole country, I was just saying that I was told to watch out for sellers from France as a lot of boots come from there. I don't really care where a game comes from as long as I get the board pictures to prove it is real.

Mercutio

IMAG0190_zps7qq1fir4.jpg

So this happened.

antibolo

Banned
What's your favorite?

Definitely 3, but X is a close second.

Least favorite is 5, it is not bad but it is plain and tasteless, and the final boss is super lame and uninspired. 4 is trashy as fuck (outsourced to some Korean studio during the early days of Playmore) but the soundtrack is so awesome that I still prefer it to 5.

Mercutio

It sure did

Wait, gotta do it properly

Ah yiss

It's glooooooriuusssssss

I've actually brute forced 3 with credits. Really gets hard at the end. But it does seem like the best of the set... excited to actually own it.

In other news, my SCART came from ArcadeWorks at long last, but only displays things in shades of green. Eugh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how much does a neo geo go for these days, on ebay or something. and the games?

is it viable to try and collect them? :(

Mercutio

how much does a neo geo go for these days, on ebay or something. and the games?

is it viable to try and collect them? :(

Well, there are two kinds of Neo Geo system, and they run effectively the same games... but in different cartridge formats.

MVS is the arcade Neo Geo system. It connects by JAMMA edge to an arcade machine, or nowadays is converted into a consolized system that works with a standard TV. Games for the MVS were relatively affordable, but are now on an upward climb in value. Not even kidding; my collection has nearly doubled in value over the past year. Most games are under $100 though, with many below $50. A Consolized MVS generally runs around $500.

The AES is the home Neo Geo system, and is only affordable if you are extremely wealthy. Not even joking. Some games that you'd think would be common and attainable are thousands of dollars... Metal Slug 1 for example. You could get an AES system for between $200 and $300 (haven't checked lately) and some very common games like Magician Lord, NAM, or Samurai Shodown 2 for not too much. If you want Garou Mark of the Wolves, it's around $1000... meanwhile the MVS version is $150-$200. Metal Slug 3 on AES is $1000 again, but the MVS runs around $70.

The interesting thing about these two different formats is that the cartridges contain both Arcade (MVS) and Home (AES) versions of games. If your Neo Geo has a custom BiOS chip, you can select the version.

antibolo

Banned
It's glooooooriuusssssss

I've actually brute forced 3 with credits. Really gets hard at the end. But it does seem like the best of the set... excited to actually own it.

In other news, my SCART came from ArcadeWorks at long last, but only displays things in shades of green. Eugh.

Metal Slug 3 is the definite game of the series. Everything after it is franchise milking from post-bankruptcy SNK Playmore.

It's also the biggest licensed Neo Geo game, at over 800 megabits.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well, there are two kinds of Neo Geo system, and they run effectively the same games... but in different cartridge formats.

MVS is the arcade Neo Geo system. It connects by JAMMA edge to an arcade machine, or nowadays is converted into a consolized system that works with a standard TV. Games for the MVS were relatively affordable, but are now on an upward climb in value. Not even kidding; my collection has nearly doubled in value over the past year. Most games are under $100 though, with many below $50. A Consolized MVS generally runs around $500.

The AES is the home Neo Geo system, and is only affordable if you are extremely wealthy. Not even joking. Some games that you'd think would be common and attainable are thousands of dollars... Metal Slug 1 for example. You could get an AES system for between $200 and $300 (haven't checked lately) and some very common games like Magician Lord, NAM, or Samurai Shodown 2 for not too much. If you want Garou Mark of the Wolves, it's around $1000... meanwhile the MVS version is $150-$200. Metal Slug 3 on AES is $1000 again, but the MVS runs around $70.

The interesting thing about these two different formats is that the cartridges contain both Arcade (MVS) and Home (AES) versions of games. If your Neo Geo has a custom BiOS chip, you can select the version.

if I was to pursue this it would be to actually play them since I never owned a neogeo, not for collecting purposes, so the first one you said you be the choice I guess

Mercutio

if I was to pursue this it would be to actually play them since I never owned a neogeo, not for collecting purposes, so the first one you said you be the choice I guess

MVS is kind of the only choice these days, if you want the true "Neo Geo" experience as it would have been had in an arcade or on an AES system.

Now, alternatively, you could go Neo Geo CD. The games and hardware are near identical to the cart versions in gameplay, and sometimes have better music. The only downside is that the load times are absolutely awful.

Teknoman

MVS is kind of the only choice these days, if you want the true "Neo Geo" experience as it would have been had in an arcade or on an AES system.

Now, alternatively, you could go Neo Geo CD. The games and hardware are near identical to the cart versions in gameplay, and sometimes have better music. The only downside is that the load times are absolutely awful.

And it doesnt have Metal Slug 3.

Prettiest consolized Neo Geo MVS ever?

ConsolizedNeoGeoMVSblue1.jpg

16.jpg

Good lord...i'd trade my Omega in a split second for that.

Celine

It WHAT?

Ew.
NGCD doesn't have many late releases (last game was KoF99) however it has a few exclusives compared to MVS (like Crossed Swords 2) and a few games which never got a home release on AES (like Neo Driftout).
Loading times aren't really a problem most of time for non-fighting games but it sure isn't a recommended system if you are only interested in fighting games.

On the other side of the coin I've got Street Hoop, Windjammers and Sonic Wings 2 for a grand total of 12 euro each a few months ago.

Teknoman

Mind blown just now. I'm trying to 1CC Metal Slug 1, and in the snow stage like right after you fight General no shirt guy, there is a small faint white UFO in the background. Its not well animated and only pops up like 3 times within a few seconds, but its unmistakably a mars people ship.

c36cc3c7273f8c7da9e4519b7ed0682f.jpg

I dunno why, but i've always thought aliens being behind the scenes in Metal Slug 1-3 but not really hitting home until the endgame and 3 was always a cool thing.

Especially since they show up in really quick fleeting glances early on, but I never knew they were in Metal Slug 1 in some fashion.

EDIT: Apparently alot of people already knew this and it was on the Metal Slug wiki.

Mind blown just now. I'm trying to 1CC Metal Slug 1, and in the snow stage like right after you fight General no shirt guy, there is a small faint white UFO in the background. Its not well animated and only pops up like 3 times within a few seconds, but its unmistakably a mars people ship.

c36cc3c7273f8c7da9e4519b7ed0682f.jpg

I dunno why, but i've always thought aliens being behind the scenes in Metal Slug 1-3 but not really hitting home until the endgame and 3 was always a cool thing.

Especially since they show up in really quick fleeting glances early on, but I never knew they were in Metal Slug 1 in some fashion.

EDIT: Apparently alot of people already knew this and it was on the Metal Slug wiki.
lol that's awesome. I wasn't aware either.

Peltz

And it doesnt have Metal Slug 3.

Good lord...i'd trade my Omega in a split second for that.

Treasure what you have... I don't have an Omega :(

I emailed the builder of that CMVS just for shits and giggles to see how much such a thing would cost (if they're even for sale). No reply 3 days later :-/

Mercutio

Treasure what you have... I don't have an Omega :(

I emailed the builder of that CMVS just for shits and giggles to see how much such a thing would cost (if they're even for sale). No reply 3 days later :-/

I can't imagine the price would be radically different than the Omega's. These things generally run $400 on the low side and $700 on the dumb side.

So I've got my SCART RGB running on my Omega, and I'm noticing that Metal Slug 2 and 3 have weird visual issues in arcade mode with the high score screens. Anyone ever notice this? I'd imagine it's trying to do something with flashing images that only works on a CRT, but confuses the crap out of the XRGB. I've seen similar things in Saturn games with certain resolutions. Not a big deal, but kinda weird?

Peltz

I'm getting a CMVS. I'm finally going to own real Neo Geo hardware! Been dreaming of this since I was a kid.

Anyone know where I could grab some decent joysticks? How are the original AES sticks in comparison to modern Sanwa stuff?

Mercutio

I'm getting a CMVS. I'm finally going to own real Neo Geo hardware! Been dreaming of this since I was a kid.

Anyone know where I could grab some decent joysticks? How are the original AES sticks in comparison to modern Sanwa stuff?

The original joysticks are climbing in price. There were two models, and both are okay by the standard of the times if you get them for around or under $50. The older one uses some sort of short-shafted seimitsu stick, but lousy squeaky buttons. The second model I have not been inside and is kidneybean shaped, so I don't know much about it.

Building your own Neo Geo stick is actually really easy; no circuitry is required. You just need a working cable and enough wire to set up buttons directly to it.

Actually, do you have any joysticks on hand? Throwing in Neo Geo compatibility is super easy.

Peltz

The original joysticks are climbing in price. There were two models, and both are okay by the standard of the times if you get them for around or under $50. The older one uses some sort of short-shafted seimitsu stick, but lousy squeaky buttons. The second model I have not been inside and is kidneybean shaped, so I don't know much about it.

Building your own Neo Geo stick is actually really easy; no circuitry is required. You just need a working cable and enough wire to set up buttons directly to it.

Actually, do you have any joysticks on hand? Throwing in Neo Geo compatibility is super easy.

I have a SFIV Round2: TE stick. But I may just import the original sticks from ebay and just deal with the buttons. Are they really that bad?

antibolo

Banned

Hori made a Neo Geo stick in Japan, it's decent, I have one. It has a turbo function and ok controls.

Are you buying your CMVS from jamma-nation-x? He may have a stick or two in stock. When I bought mine I also got one from him, it's a Neo Geo CD Pro stick (the small weirdly shaped one) modded with Seimitsu buttons and a tightened stick.

Peltz

Hori made a Neo Geo stick in Japan, it's decent, I have one. It has a turbo function and ok controls.

Are you buying your CMVS from jamma-nation-x? He may have a stick or two in stock. When I bought mine I also got one from him, it's a Neo Geo CD Pro stick (the small weirdly shaped one) modded with Seimitsu buttons and a tightened stick.

Indeed I am. He's been super cool about all the questions I've been pestering him with (seriously, what a nice guy!). I just don't really think I'm into the shape of that "pro" stick,

Then again, I've never used it. How does it feel? Edit: he's out of stock on controllers anyway.

Also,does MAS Systems still make Neo Geo sticks? I may just grab a cheap-ass pad then go that route after I save up.

Edit - I ordered two OG AES controllers off ebay from japan. Hopefully, they're in decent shape. One has had the ball replaced with a bigger ball.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to adjust to them after getting accustomed to Sanwa sticks over the past few years, but maybe it will be okay.

Yeah James is a great guy, I am buying mine from him also. I had a ton of questions as well and he was very nice and patient. I am buying a controller from him as well, the system and controller should ship in the next couple of days. In other news, I got my hands on Windjammers! It was rather pricey, but it was from a reputable seller and in nice condition. Now I just need to get Garou and my list of must haves that are not on the 161 in 1 will be complete. Then I can work on getting actual copies of the games on the cart.

Mercutio

I have a SFIV Round2: TE stick. But I may just import the original sticks from ebay and just deal with the buttons. Are they really that bad?

The sticks are great, but the buttons really are that bad. You can swap the buttons though, if you know how to solder.

Best e-mail I have received in a while...my CMVS is on the way and should be here on Monday or Tuesday. I have wanted a Neo for so long that I almost cannot believe it is about to happen. I will post some pictures when I get it rolling.

Peltz

The sticks are great, but the buttons really are that bad. You can swap the buttons though, if you know how to solder.

I don't. I'll give them a try and if I truly hate them, maybe I'll ask James if he'd be willing to mod them for me.

@retrogamer84, that's amazing news. I'm excited to receive that email myself sometime soon. Getting Neo Geo hardware has been a long-time pipe dream for me too. Enjoy :)

Mercutio

I don't. I'll give them a try and if I truly hate them, maybe I'll ask James if he'd be willing to mod them for me.

@retrogamer84, that's amazing news. I'm excited to receive that email myself sometime soon. Getting Neo Geo hardware has been a long-time pipe dream for me too. Enjoy :)

It's an incredibly easy mod; I'd be happy to do it for you for free, less the price of shipping and replacement buttons. Let me know.

This isn't one I did, but it ends up like this:

image_zps46dde1f5.jpg

Any color is possible, of course.

Peltz

It's an incredibly easy mod; I'd be happy to do it for you for free, less the price of shipping and replacement buttons. Let me know.

This isn't one I did, but it ends up like this:

image_zps46dde1f5.jpg

Any color is possible, of course.

Man, what a guy! I'll probably take you up on that.

NeoGAF: Believe...

...that this community is the best.

Top Bottom