• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Sega, where's my Super Monkey Ball game on Wii U?!

For the first time since the series began, Sega did NOT have a Super Monkey Ball game out on a Nintendo home console's launch.

GC had Super Monkey Ball which was an enhanced version of the original Monkey Ball made on the NAOMI arcade board. Wii had Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz.

Super Monkey Ball 3D did come out for the 3DS' launch however. But the GBA and DS games were a bit after launch.

I know Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz is seen as inferior to the originals by most people, and even though I didn't play the originals *gets hit by tomato* I absolutely adored Banana Blitz.

The game had one of my fav soundtracks of last gen, composed by the company NoisyCroak, and also had a helping hand by none other than Hideki Naganuma of JSR fame. However I think he only composed this one song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZb1iS1K5vk

Anyway, I was really hoping to see a new game come out on Wii U either at launch or soon after, but there's been NO sign whatsoever. I had loads of fun and want more!

What's odd is that the sequel to Banana Blitz, Step & Roll, was actually sound directed by Jun Senoue himself and the other Sanic crew, but all around I found the music to be ass in comparison.

I'm really happy Sega's very committed to continuing Sonic on Wii U after his many and strong life on Wii, but Super Monkey Ball always had a part of Nintendo's library so it's sad that so far AiAi's been left behind. :(

I've been asking myself the same question. I'd settle for VC re-releases of 1 and 2. If they did make another game, I would burn buildings if they played more like Banana Blitz than 1 and 2. That game soured me so much I didn't even bother with step and roll.

Zomba13

Yeah. It seems really weird considering the game seems really suitable to the Wii U gamepad

I never really noticed but this is right. Like the Wii version motion controls can really work in this game and on the Wii U there is a screen right on it! Just give the gamepad a top down view of the action.

Same. New Monkey Ball with gamepad controls? sign me up.
Even as a virtual console game.

Its not like the series is dead or anything either. I think one is coming to smartphones sometime soon...

Clownboat

Banned
They'll fuck it up with garbage gyroscope controls, so I hope they never make it. SMB2 was God-tier, but I doubt we'll ever see a sequel. They'll keep milking the franchise on joke platforms like iOS.

Tan

??

It is a joystick+1 button game.

labyrinth500.jpg

I had never really thought about it but yeah. I would totally play another monkey ball on a WiiU.

RM8

They'll fuck it up with garbage gyroscope controls, so I hope they never make it. SMB2 was God-tier, but I doubt we'll ever see a sequel. They'll keep milking the franchise on joke platforms like iOS.
It's been ages since the iOS game, actually. The most recent game is the Vita one.

I really wish for Sega to let the franchise die already. I loved them on the GameCube, already a bit less on the Xbox and everything that came afterwards became worse and worse. The visuals and the core gameplay mechanic stayed mostly the same, but it always felt as if they lost the nagic formula and didn't get what made a Super Monkeyball special.

GamerJM

Banned
Kinda off topic but how is Banana Splitz? I played most of the post-2 ones and they were varying degrees of bad-mediocre, but I've heard Banana Splitz is the best in the series since 2 from a couple people on another board who played it. I kinda feel bad for not buying it if it's part of the reason we never got a Wii U game.

I thought the Vita game was pretty dope. Lots of modes and some pretty solid single player stages/mazes. Easily my favorite Monkeyball since the original.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I thought that the second game was such a step back from the first that I never cared to check out any of those that followed.

That said, I at least think this:
is also what came to mind just from reading the title. It's a concept with some merit that ought to be explored and would be a good fit for this franchise.

MrJoe

Banned
sega used to make wiiu games. they released two games for the system. they were developed, released, and met with disappointing sales. sega doesnt support wiiu anymore.

RM8

Also I'm going to say the 3DS game is not bad at all, it's just rather lacking in content, it was obviously rushed for launch. At least it runs at 60fps even with 3D on, and can be found for cheap now. I enjoyed it.

Also I'm going to say the 3DS game is not bad at all, it's just rather lacking in content, it was obviously rushed for launch. At least it runs at 60fps even with 3D on, and can be found for cheap now. I enjoyed it.

The 3D slider on max makes my eyes puke. Still the only game where the 3D effect was overwhelming. But yeah, a solid, albeit short game.

We're sadly already trying to wipe that game from our memories.

I'm just so glad these aren't permanent designs and that SEGA has actually addressed that.

Why? It's being made by key Naughty Dog folks, along with a lot of Superbot folks and even some from Sony Santa Monica, Insomniac, and Heavy Iron, some even worked on Disney Renaissance Era films and Dreamworks Animation films.

After the fucking terrible Monkey Ball Step and Roll on Wii, plus the DS, 3DS and Vita games, I don't want SEGA to ever touch this franchise again. :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still haven't forgiven them for destroying Monkey Target.

Best minigame ever.

Just hasn't been the same since the Gamecube days, imo.

Couldn't stand the baby brainfart artstyle in Banana Blitz.

Edit: Okay, its music WAS pretty ballin'. I loved the music for the GC ones too.

Village

Why? It's being made by key Naughty Dog folks, along with a lot of Superbot folks and even some from Sony Santa Monica, Insomniac, and Heavy Iron, some even worked on Disney Renaissance Era films and Dreamworks Animation films.

I have some very strong and elaborate versions of these opinions, i don't think thats going to do well. It would be cool if i t did, I don't think it is though.

I also think its kind of .. Silly.. to say " we want to make a new more western sonic " where the guy who has been doing it for years in comic book form not only wishes to work on sonic games, actively tries to. Yet you deny him to do.. this a style... don't think fits sonic very much. As you said there are Disney people working on this... its something , I ... don associate with sonic.

I could be wrong, this could be amazing, but from I have gleamed and the more I think it out. The worse this idea sounds.

VariantX

I remember how many hours I lost on the super monkey ball 2 minigames. Some of them were pretty damn impressive considering they weren't even whole games themselves. I got like 20-30+ hours out of the golf minigame alone. Would love to see this come back to consoles again.

Elija2

How were the iOS/Android games? The series seems like a good fit for those platforms but they haven't made a new one in years (not counting Ball Bounce).

Top Bottom