• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
confira-as-notas-que-hi-fi-rush-vem-recebendo-084859.png

Game Information:

Game Title: Hi-Fi Rush

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Jan 25, 2023)
  • PC (Jan 25, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Jan 25, 2023)
Trailers:

Developer: Tango Gameworks

Publisher: Bethesda Softworks

Review Agregator:

OpenCritic: 91/100 - 100% Recommended

hTMZNrH.jpg

MetaCritic: 88/100 | 9.3/10.0 User Score

s6Dh4Vk.jpg

Critic Reviews:

IGN - Michael Hinghan 90/100
Hi-Fi Rush marches to the beat of its own drum with stunning animation, loveable characters, and stylish rhythmic action that are anything but one-note.

AltChar - Semir Omerovic - 100 / 100
Hi-Fi Rush has pretty much everything that makes a video game fun and even more importantly it's not trying to be overly precise and challenging like many other rhythm-based games. It's a complete package that hits the right notes over and over again, proving that big publishers should just let developers create games they really want to create.

Attack of the Fanboy - Noah Nelson - Unscored
Hi-Fi Rush is a bundle of joy so far. I can’t stop tapping my foot while playing it, I genuinely laugh out loud at the jokes, and I’m interested to see where the gameplay and story go next. While you wait for our full review to come out, know that we recommend playing Hi-Fi Rush, especially since it is free to Game Pass subscribers.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 80 / 100
Hi-Fi Rush is clearly one of 2023's most pleasant gaming surprises, as well as a respectful nod to the glorious 2000-era of action titles where you just want to have pure unadulterated fun with simple mechanics to comprehend.

Life is Xbox - Dae Jim - Unscored
It came out of nowhere but this is an incredible high quality game with memorable characters, unique rhythm gameplay, nice visuals and a fantastic soundtrack.

Polygon - Diego Nicolás Argüello - Unscored
The shadow drop was novel in and of itself, but the game is a triumph. The gorgeous animations and Jet Set Radio-esque art style are vivid and arresting. The array of tutorials, visual aids, and clever mechanics makes the rhythm aspects approachable to genre newcomers. And the vibrant, positive energy is present in every beat, keeping you tapping your feet as you take down a corporation built on a lack of vision. Hi-Fi Rush is a cathartic anthem that arrived at the perfect time.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 4 / 5
Hi-Fi Rush is oozing with style and confidence, but like a messy first album, there are some deep cut tracks that don’t hit as hard as the opening few hits. What can’t be denied, however, is how excited we are for the sophomore effort, and the seemingly limitless versatility that Tango Gameworks have shown off in this bold, out-of-nowhere joy.

WayTooManyGames - Leonardo Faria - 9.5 / 10
My complaints are very minute. I simply loved Hi-Fi Rush. I just wasn’t expecting for such a banger to drop without any buildup, coming from such a talented team, right at the beginning of the year. It’s a magnificent mixture of tons of games from the mid-2000s, resulting in a unique combination of gameplay styles, sense of humor and visuals that easily stands out from the rest of Microsoft’s current exclusives.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 9.5 / 10
Hi-Fi RUSH came out of nowhere and floored me. It is one of my favorite-looking games, maybe ever. The combat is sublime, the story is great, and the music just works. Tango Gameworks has shifted from making ok to good horror games and created one of my favorite action platformers of all time.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Currently on the fourth track. A very pleasant surprise indeed. It's very fun and a bit addictive. It has a lot of charm and a lot of heart. Cel shaded graphics are beautiful, particularly the cut scenes, outstanding animation. Level design and platforming are pretty bland, you mostly just go straight forward, and the enemies are often recycled, but the action, the music, and the two main characters makes up for it. And the bosses are pretty fun too. A solid 8/10 so far.

Last edited:

xion4360

its on xbox one?

edit- Yeah no...its not on xbox one. You could stream it to the console though.

Last edited:
Currently on the fourth track. A very pleasant surprise indeed. It's very fun and a bit addictive. It has a lot of charm and a lot of heart. Cel shaded graphics are beautiful, particularly the cut scenes, outstanding animation. Level design and platforming are pretty bland, you mostly just go straight forward, and the enemies are often recycled, but the action, the music, and the two main characters makes up for it. And the bosses are pretty fun too. A solid 8/10 so far.

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts, pros and cons.

A cool charming little game, but there's some aspects that could be improved quite a bit and make the game feel quite repetitive in the core level design and enemy variety. The music could also be a bit more diverse from what i've played, seems a bit samey.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

This game is pretty much a 6th Generation game released for modern times and I'm here for the ride. I hope it ends up with a metascore that it deserves, but ultimately the fans reception BEFORE the reviews came out speaks for itself.

I wonder how many reviewers will score it down for the very reason that makes the game unique? "The rhythm based combat makes the game frustrating. All the time I struggled to fight within the games restrictions I just wish they'd unleash the shackles with a free combat system like DMC".

It's great to see something this creative. It's a breath of fresh air and has made me feel like a child again. No game is going to be able to make me feel this way again for a long time. We may have moved on from Sixth Gen game design, but that doesn't mean it became bad.

I made a comment in another thread a while back something along the lines of "if Viewtiful Joe was released today for the first time it would still be considered amazing". This game is the closest example I'll ever get to having some kind of quirky 6th Gen style game released in the modern day to refer back to.

Dr_Salt

I'm really happy for Mikami, Johanas, and the guys at Tango Gameworks. I honestly believe Mikami is a better action director than a horror director, and I think they didn't want to keep working on survival horror games, but probably were pushed by Bethesda. I hope this is the start of more action-based games from them.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Its on track for a very high rating from me. Gotta finish it but its insanely great. You could take a sceeenshot from any point on the game and it looks like the sickest concept art you've ever seen.

9kF65ua.jpg

Combat is truly original and it keeps increasing in depth with new things added frequently. The characters and voice acting are great. The cutscenes are movie level animation. The OST is great. There's literally not a weak element. High replay value with hard, very hard and master mode. Its literally a masterpiece in the action genre like we haven't seen in a long time.

If you like original games, action games, Dreamcast era games, its a system seller title.

Last edited:

Rockman33

I think it’s awesome that this game shadow dropped and out of the box runs great. Seems like a rare thing these days. I also find the look and feel to be quite unique and interesting. Overall very happy this game was made.

Having said all that, I’m not really having that much fun with it. Platforming isn’t anything special. And the combat seems good but not great. Little over half way through the game.

Robb

Gold Member
Not surprised, it’s really good thus far. Hope we get more games like this from Tango in the future.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Any reviewer who gives this less than a 9 is a straight up hack, you listening internet weirdos who think you are journalist!!?.
Completely agree, but I'll raise you to less than a 9.5 lol

I love that 8 out of ten that says the gameplay is simple....guy hasn't got far passed the first boss has he?

"Gotta get my review out ASAP!"

Lol

Sorry, simple mechanics....lol

Last edited:

GHG

Completely agree, but I'll raise you to less than a 9.5 lol

I love that 8 out of ten that says the gameplay is simple....guy hasn't got far passed the first boss has he?

"Gotta get my review out ASAP!"

Lol

Sorry, simple mechanics....lol

Well I'm seeing people try to compare this to bayonetta and DMC. If you compare the move list of HiFi rush to those games it pales in comparison.

Mr Branding

This game man! The reviewer which mentioned super positive vibes is on point. This game straight up makes me smile, be it the jokes, the creative combination between rhythm and hack/slash, the art, everything is pure 🔥.

That Mimosa battle is amazing. I love how it makes you learn the parry system

Get this game if you like having fun

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well I'm seeing people try to compare this to bayonetta and DMC. If you compare the move list of HiFi rush to those games it pales in comparison.

It's pretty damn close, fair play there is only one weapon where I am at but the team mates have a lot to add to combat too. I've unlocked shit loads of combos.

It's a solid as hell combat system and not simplistic in any way.

Last edited:

GHG

It's pretty damn close, fair play there is only one weapon where I am at but the team mates have a lot to add to combat too. I've unlocked shit loads of combos.

It's a solid as hell combat system and not simplistic in any way.

If you compare it to character action games it's simple.

If you compare it to your standard action/adventure game it's complex enough.

So it depends on how you want to categorise it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If you compare it to character action games it's simple.

If you compare it to your standard action/adventure game it's complex enough.

So it depends on how you want to categorise it.

I think this game has me more hyped for bayo 3 than I imagined. I've had bayo 3 in shrink wrap since launch and tried the heavy hitters for q4 but after bouncing off them and not even completing ragnarok this has got me ready for some real assed real ass vidya games. Deffo going deep in bayo 3 after.

Disregarding the positive reviews for a sec, Its good this game dropped in the hands of gamers before the reviewers got their fingers on it. They tend to soil the rep of games with some more than often faulty assessments which deters most gamers from giving a game a proper chance. Very, very few bother to give a game a chance, even if it might look remotely interesting to them, after its been sullied by the opinions of the "renowned" gaming media "experts".

This time around, gamers got to assess it for themselves without any prior influence.

anthony2690

Banned
So disappointed. I fell in love with Tangos work because of The Evil Within and Ghostwire Tokyo, not colorful rythm games with awful esthetic. It's cool that they are trying something else, you need to switch it up sometime and just do something else once in a while, but I hope Tango and Shinji Mikami returns to the horror genre soon.

The Duality of ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶M̶a̶n̶ Mr Hyde Mr Hyde

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
I
A cat is fine too.
also never understood that if a cat is in kids loose their mind, forspoken too: The game is great it has a cat.

Gamers nexus with their cats in thd videos( hardware channdl no less).

Such an easy bait these days to gain points. I like cats too but that will change nothing if a game is terrible.

Good rush is good anyways but i just see it in recent years.

When we killee dogs as teens in games we did it with fun its not real. Now kids loose their shit when you kill a dog in tlou2 🤣i dont get it. Its just pixel. They should not even play it at this point its an 18 rated game🤷‍♂️

This had to get out😂

Fredrik

This game man! The reviewer which mentioned super positive vibes is on point. This game straight up makes me smile, be it the jokes, the creative combination between rhythm and hack/slash, the art, everything is pure 🔥.

Get this game if you like having fun
Agreed! I only just started but this is spot on, I’m sitting there smiling and moving to the music with my youngest kid (7) doing the same thing beside me, and just like that Tango moved far up on the list of Microsoft’s best devs for me 👌

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Disregarding the positive reviews for a sec, Its good this game dropped in the hands of gamers before the reviewers got their fingers on it. They tend to soil the rep of games with some more than often faulty assessments which deters most gamers from giving a game a proper chance. Very, very few bother to give a game a chance, even if it might look remotely interesting to them, after its been sullied by the opinions of the "renowned" gaming media "experts".

This time around, gamers got to assess it for themselves without any prior influence.

Plus low barrier to entry with game pass.

From top to bottom it's the perfect game to do this shadow drop move.

Fuck reviewers I say. They are pretty clueless nowadays imo.

Or maybe they've been mixed up with reviewing what they have to. I dunno.

Last edited:
Top Bottom