• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya annoyed on twitter, tells fanboy to use his own brain

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What article is Luke talking about?

kotaku.com/5974039/the-guy-who-made-bayonetta-is-clueless-about-valve-and-pc-gaming

Imagine even just reading that URL as Kamiya. Then the entire "piece" (we are calling them that? Well pieces of shit does work grammatically...) is some sort of "don't think ill of our japanese cousins, enlightened westerners!" blogvom from 'an expert on Japanese culture because he's lived there for a bit'. Glad Totilo is really flexing that "maybe dont post stupid shit" muscle after the last "lol games journalism" go-around.

Reiko

Banned
I don't think any less of Kamiya for reacting like this. He's a dude just like the rest of us. Sometimes you get mad and say things you shouldn't and he has every right to be mad right now.

but I think it's weird as hell to see so many people championing this kind of behavior. Especially him using the word foreigner.

Can't say I'm surprised though. Given this thread's history.

I'm pretty sure he'll regret some of the things he's said once he's calmed down, if he doesn't already.

Meltdowns from anybody is funny.

Himself

This is bizarre.

On one hand, I feel public figures shouldn't act this way even to stupid bullshit half-yellow journalism.

On the other hand it feels awesome

Basically. Not sure how I feel about my favorite game developer being some sort of xenophobe, thinking I'm a stupid asshole because I'm not Japanese. But I won't take it personally.

The main idea behind the article is fine. I mean other Japanese developers have outright said similar things to what the article is inferring, while explaining some of the reasoning behind it.(minus the digital distribution phobia bullshit)

The problem is the disingenuous headline and that there is no research or other perspective offered besides an out of context tweet. It's not an article about a Japanese perspective, it's an article about how "The guy who made bayonetta" doesn't understand and isn't interested in PC gaming darling Valve.

and as a result he's been harassed by internet white knights who also didn't seem to read the article.

Pretty much. I actually didn't even know about this article until John Ricciardi tweeted this and I took to Google. The use of "Clueless" is misdirection and arguably lowbrow. Any perspective, eastern or western, offered in the content itself feels generalized.

Although in typical Gawker fashion, look forward to: "Asshole Japanese Dev Is an Asshole"

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Basically. Not sure how I feel about my favorite game developer being some sort of xenophobe, thinking I'm a stupid asshole because I'm not Japanese. But I won't take it personally.

He doesnt, he replies with grace to many english tweets, so while there are 'great foreigners', the catch all word for what he's currently experiencing inbox wise is definitely 'stupid foreigners'.

kotaku.com/5974039/the-guy-who-made-bayonetta-is-clueless-about-valve-and-pc-gaming

Imagine even just reading that URL as Kamiya. Then the entire "piece" (we are calling them that? Well pieces of shit does work grammatically...) is some sort of "don't think ill of our japanese cousins, enlightened westerners!" blogvom from 'an expert on Japanese culture because he's lived there for a bit'. Glad Totilo is really flexing that "maybe dont post stupid shit" muscle after the last "lol games journalism" go-around.

Goddamn it, I really want to read the article. However, based on the man's history on twitter, which I'm SURE they're well aware of, after seeing that headline, who the hell wouldn't expect him to react like that?

It's a terrible fucking headline, regardless of how good the article may or may not have been.

Himself

He doesnt, he replies with grace to many english tweets, so while there are 'great foreigners', the catch all word for what he's currently experiencing inbox wise is definitely 'stupid foreigners'.

Word. I'm no political correctness snoot so my panties aren't bunched. He always seems amiable and humble in most videos/interviews he's done for Western media so I doubt he's as narrow minded as the tweet can be interpreted as.

Also, kotakus presumptuous, bullshit headline would have me fucking fuming too.

koryuken

Pretty much. I actually didn't even know about this article until John Ricciardi tweeted this and I took to Google. The use of "Clueless" is misdirection and arguably lowbrow. Any perspective, eastern or western, offered in the content itself feels generalized.

Although in typical Gawker fashion, look forward to: "Asshole Japanese Dev Is an Asshole"

The premise of the article is basically "I'm an expert on Japan, let me tell you how they think". By Luke Plunkett. And then he pretends like its no big deal on twitter, pretty hilarious. (my opinion: Dude, get a clue. you are stereotyping the whole fucking country of Japan. You should not be allowed to write "articles" you fucking hack.)

While I'm not defending Kamiya's hilarious xenophobia, I would be upset as well.

Riposte

It is altogether flawed to pick Kamiya out as an example for Japanese gamers anyway. I mean putting aside Inaba, who makes those kind of decisions, has gone as far as meet Gabe in person, you shouldn't look to game developers as an example of players. Game developers don't necessarily play a lot of games. It would be like writing an article saying how American gamers all flock to iOs because David Jaffe mostly played iOs games this year. It is weird to make that the running theme of your article.

As for Kamiya's aggressive language... I think that dude lets twitter get to him lol. He must read so much garbage, it can't be healthy for his brain.

Dawg

So, basically...

1. Someone asks Kamiya about Platinum Games on PC
2. Kamiya responds by saying he doesn't really play PC games because that platform is not very popular in Japan and that he mainly plays old games.
3. Kotaku™ writes an article where Kamiya pretty much looks like a retard who can't get into PC gaming, by spamming one single quote -> click baiting
4. Kamiya gets angry (he has reason to) and Kotaku guy wonders why he is so hostile

Can't blame Kamiya, I really can't. Kotaku has been making articles like this (click baiting) for quite some time, I'm glad a developer actually tells them they're shit.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The premise of the article is basically "I'm an expert on Japan, let me tell you how they think". By Luke Plunkett. And then he pretends like its no big deal on twitter, pretty hilarious. Dude, get a clue, you are stereotyping the whole fucking country. You should not be allowed to write "articles" you fucking hack.

While I'm not defending Kamiya's hilarious xenophobia, I would be upset as well.
It's not by Luke Plunkett, it's by one of Kotaku's guys who live in Japan and post nothing but Japan related news and stuff -- they live there so they must be experts, or something. His anime reviews are pretty lolworthy too.

Word. I'm no political correctness snoot so my panties aren't bunched. He always seems amiable and humble in most videos/interviews he's done for Western media so I doubt he's as narrow minded as the tweet can be interpreted as.

Also, kotakus presumptuous, bullshit headline would have me fucking fuming too.

I also doubt that he is narrow minded and all that, but still really really bad choice of words and I find it is pretty disingenuous play it down just as "LOLKamiya"

Yagharek

This is bizarre.

On one hand, I feel public figures shouldn't act this way even to stupid bullshit half-yellow journalism.

On the other hand it feels awesome

Well, it is a case of shitting on kotaku, which is awesome to see. You give them half a chance and they write brain-dead articles like the one in question here.

There's better quality writing on the title screen for Vanquish than on all of kotaku.

Kamiya really needs to dial it in. Justified anger or not, this is the sort of thing that scares off business partners and hurts relations between Japanese companies and Anglosphere ones, even beyond just Platinum and anyone else.

I'm already afraid this will see years of work on my own part, in trying to get Steam and various Japanese entities to work together, torched, if it gets out further in the Japanese-language info-sphere. It's already hit 2channel, IIRC.

Of course, I'm also mad as hell at Kotaku for running an article with such a goddamned stupid headline.

ohlawd

Wow!

14F2Q.png

lol wow. When can we elect Kamiya as the president of the world?

Reiko

Banned
Kamiya really needs to dial it in. Justified anger or not, this is the sort of thing that scares off business partners and hurts relations between Japanese companies and Anglosphere ones, even beyond just Platinum and anyone else.

I'm already afraid this will see years of work on my own part torched.

Of course, I'm also mad as hell at Kotaku for running an article with such a goddamned stupid headline.

itagakiabuy8.jpg

Learn from the master of saying whatever the fuck he wants.

Kamiya's Twitter is a pretty clear cut example of what uncut internet can do to a rational mind that is not inurred to the internet's stupidity. It's kind of his own fault for paying it any attention... but eh. For the stupid shit that Bayonetta 2's announcement caused alone, I think he's pretty justified in his irritation

The man just wants to play classic arcade games and make W101 in peace! Leave Kamiya alone! He doesn't know why the company he hasn't worked for in seven years did something that made you angry! Use your brain!

I'd tell Kotaku to eat baby dicks, but they would probably write a post about it and try to spin it like it's a new pop culture trend in Japan... I hope that the handful of writers over there that have any brain cells feel guilty about working for The Sun of gaming blogs.

I hope that the handful of writers over there that have any brain cells feel guilty about working for The Sun of gaming blogs.

I'd love, love, love for Jason or Totillo to come over and defend this headline. As I said earlier, even if the article had any validity, the headline completely ruins it. Shame on them.

Zeroth

I also doubt that he is narrow minded and all that, but still really really bad choice of words and I find it is pretty disingenuous play it down just as "LOLKamiya"

I agree, I'm not exactly thrilled with the need he had to say foreigner. Perhaps in the context of Luke's apparent "knowledge" of Japan is what pissed Kamyia to the point of using that, but considering it's him, I'm not so sure.

Reiko

Banned
I agree, I'm not exactly thrilled with the need he had to say foreigner. Perhaps in the context of Luke's apparent "knowledge" of Japan is what pissed Kamyia to the point of using that, but considering it's him, I'm not so sure.

Everyone's an expert. Remember the infamous NeoGAF post?

The man just wants to play classic arcade games and make W101 in peace! Leave Kamiya alone! He doesn't know why the company he hasn't worked for in seven years did something that made you angry! Use your brain!

I'd tell Kotaku to eat baby dicks, but they would probably write a post about it and try to spin it like it's a new pop culture trend in Japan... I hope that the handful of writers over there that have any brain cells feel guilty about working for The Sun of gaming blogs.

Sorry had to XD:
33082021.jpg

Kade

Hideki Kamiya, leader of all Japan, tells fanboy to GET THE FUCK OFF and asks games blogger about feces consumption habit

Empty

haha amazing. i like how he has the same contempt for kotaku and their terrible pieces as he does any old twitter idiot asking why bayonetta 2 isn't on xbox, no tune changing based on reputation here.

antitrop

I don't think any less of Kamiya for reacting like this. He's a dude just like the rest of us. Sometimes you get mad and say things you shouldn't and he has every right to be mad right now.

but I think it's weird as hell to see so many people championing this kind of behavior. Especially him using the word foreigner.

Can't say I'm surprised though. Given this thread's history.

I'm pretty sure he'll regret some of the things he's said once he's calmed down, if he doesn't already.
His use of the word "foreigner" was clearly a joke.

Love following him on Twitter, but this far from his first time complaining about 'foreigners'. This sort of xenophobia, racism, or whatever you want to classify it as, scarcely elicits a bat of an eyelash in Japan, which is really disappointing. I'm not greatly offended by it in this case, but the response in general to this sort of thing is problematic. People, as you can easily tell from many of the responses here, just find it cute. It is a serious issue for those 'foreigners' who live in, or even just visit, Japan.

Love following him on Twitter, but this far from his first time complaining about 'foreigners'. This sort of xenophobia, racism, or whatever you want to classify it as, scarcely elicits a bat of an eyelash in Japan, which is really disappointing. I'm not greatly offended by it in this case, but the response in general to this sort of thing is problematic. People, as you can easily tell from many of the responses here, just find it cute. It is a serious issue for those 'foreigners' who live in, or even just visit, Japan.

What is wrong with the word foreigner? Why is that word xenophobic?

Top Bottom