• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imitation is the best form of flattery as they say. I think I'll still get the game because Smash Bros. isn't coming for years lol.
lrvje.jpg
Damn that is one fine ass man :eek:

CrisKre

I would keep your expectations in check.

Sure, aesthetically, they appear to be very similar: colorful mascot brawler, but the game play is very, VERY different.

I also expected it to play like Smash. It. Does. Not.. Initially, when you are first booting up the game, and in control of a character, and you start playing around with the attacks and what the buttons do, you're like, "Oh, yeah, this is totally like Smash! I got this!" Then, you start to try and play the game like Smash, and suddenly you aren't doing so well.

It's a bit of an oversimplification to say that your goal is to build AP to execute a Super, but then again, that's what makes games like this so fun, the goal is painfully, obviously clear to you. In Smash, your goal is to attack your opponent to build up their percentage meter so you can smash them out of the ring. Devilishly simple. But the HOW is where things get complicated. Other players have their own tactics and strategies. Characters have their own sets of moves and counters. It's a back and forth.

When a PBR match starts, yes, you are trying to hit that guy and build super. You get a Kill, you get 2 points. Great! But then, another player kills you! Crap, now you're down to 1 point, because each death subtracts 1 from your score. Dammit! He got another kill! Now he's up by 3 points, and you are still trying to recover from that death. But there are two other players in the match all trying to do the same thing.

It's no less chaotic in FFA in PBR as it is in SSB. That back and forth, ebb and flow, attacking, countering, executing supers, dodging supers, is just as exhilarating here as it is in SSB. The middle game is where it tends to get really exciting, when each player has gotten a few kills and deaths under their belt. It then becomes a matter of diminishing the leader's kills by killing them, while keeping your own kills untouched.

It's fun. And very different than Smash. I enjoy that both have a very different meta game in place, and both are very fun.

I know my posts will go ignored, but they are here for anyone wanting to bother to read an informed opinion about the game. And not just an informed opinion by a PlayStation fan (which I am, no doubt), but by a Smash Bros fan as well.
Please. It's the aesthetics, physics, concept, controls. It has game rules differences, sure. But it's a rip off.
It can be fun, but that doesn't change the fact. The problem is with people that can not admit to that.

Huff

Banned
yes, and just now you added nothing to it.
no posts with more than "witty" one-liners to them should be regarded as unnecessary.
explain why the topic is bothersome?

My one liner laughing at you was just as worthwhile as this entire thread. Sorry if you can't see that

KevinCow

Banned
I don't understand why being a ripoff is sometimes admirable (Okami) and other times horribly morally objectionable (PSAS).

I imagine a gaming industry where nobody ever copied anyone would be really crappy.

Please. It's the aesthetics, physics, concept, controls. It has game rules differences, sure. But it's a rip off.
It can be fun, but that doesn't change the fact. The problem is with people that can not admit to that.

How many people had said in this thread that they felt that is a rip off but they don't think is bad at all?

The physics are about as similar as LittleBigPlanet is to Super Mario Bros. The game also does not control the same. They need to release this game already to end all this stupidity.

LOL, even Hideki Kamiya isn't blind to defend Sony for this one like most of Sony fanboys do, in which everything that Sony does (such as PS Move) according to them is "the greatest thing on earth."

Maybe Platinum is finally making a deal with Nintendo and when P-100 is released Nintendo will announced that they bought Platinum Games, so Kamiya's first task is to show loyalty by calling PSOMETHINGYOUKNOWWHATEVER a rip-off?
It's my wet dream

Globox_82

Banned
I am confused, why should anyone give a shit about what some Japanese dude thinks of a products that they find attractive? If you like the game, who cares?!

ffdgh

That just proves Kamiya's point 10 fold. At the surface it looks just like any other mindless ripoff :-/

Also up,left,right,down and any attack button? I just learned that they use the same button setup... Seriously...

I can't complain about the button setup since it works so well lol.

Noi

Also up,left,right,down and any attack button? I just learned that they use the same button setup... Seriously...

Congratulations, you just described the input for command normals in every fighting game.

Edit: Blah, beaten.

KevinCow

Banned
That just proves Kamiya's point 10 fold. At the surface it looks just like any other mindless ripoff :-/

Similar but different button setup. Three buttons instead of two, no smash moves, picking up items is on a separate button, throws are done with the right stick.

Why is it a bad thing to copy the direction+button attack system? It's a good idea. It's simple and intuitive and easy to learn. I'd like to see more fighting games built around that concept.

Did people freak out this much the first time a game copied Street Fighter's special move inputs?

Misterhbk

Just when if thought we'd all moved on with our lives one guy comes out as says something on twitter. An opinion he holds and gaf is all up in arms like this guys word is law. Lol

TDLink

Kamiya is 100% correct. PSABR most certainly IS a rip off of Smash Bros. That doesn't mean it isn't doing some things differently or that it is necessarily a good thing or bad thing. But it absolutely is a rip off..like irrefutably. I do not understand the people in here actually trying to say it isn't.

Gonna leave this here in case it wasn't posted yet:

PS All-Stars x Super Smash Bros.

This video is actually pretty shitty at demonstrating its point. The game flat out looks like Smash Bros. even if some of the mechanics actually play and feel differently. Moreover, many of the examples they give are circumstantial and don't apply to every character in (I'm sure) either game. For example, there are some supers in Brawl that function exactly like the ones they demonstrated for PSASBR and not all "Up Bs" in Brawl cause fall stun either.

Also, the industry is full of rip offs...this is just a sad truth. Not that many people try to create new and interesting products anymore. Even if they end up being a lot of fun and really well made, they aren't new. From that standpoint I can see where Kamiya is coming from. Kamiya actually is one of the few designers left who really strives to create newness in everything he does. None of his games are rip offs. Just because he tosses in some homages to Space Harrier does not mean he is ripping something off. Bayonetta is not a rip off of DMC (also his game), it's a natural evolution. Okami is not a rip off of Zelda, they are just similar genre-wise...pretty different from both at a glance and a gameplay perspective.

CrisKre

So you are admitting that you just generalizate every person that disagree with the moral objection of Kamiya?

So the issue is not only "accepting is a Rip Off"
Please, don't put words in my mouth. Kamiya is entitled to his own moral objection. I happen to agree with him. You appear not to.

BadAss2961

lol at the amount of pages this got in one day.

I'm on and off with All-Stars, but it's not a ripoff. It's obviously inspired by Smash Bros, but it's not a clone. And really, in what other fashion would this game be possible other than something that resembles Smash Bros? Even Power Stone style wouldn't be a good fit for all the characters.

Cade

Wow, I think I left this thread on page 3 and it's only gotten worse. Is this really just a place for people to air their corporate allegiances and trash-talk various developers?

CrisKre

Kamiya is 100% correct. PSABR most certainly IS a rip off of Smash Bros. That doesn't mean it isn't doing some things differently or that it is necessarily a good thing or bad thing. But it absolutely is a rip off..like irrefutably. I do not understand the people in here actually trying to say it isn't.

This video is actually pretty shitty at demonstrating its point. The game flat out looks like Smash Bros. even if some of the mechanics actually play and feel differently. Moreover, many of the examples they give are circumstantial and don't apply to every character in (I'm sure) either game. For example, there are some supers in Brawl that function exactly like the ones they demonstrated for PSASBR and not all "Up Bs" in Brawl cause fall stun either.

Also, the industry is full of rip offs...this is just a sad truth. Not that many people try to create new and interesting products anymore. Even if they end up being a lot of fun and really well made, they aren't new. From that standpoint I can see where Kamiya is coming from. Kamiya actually is one of the few designers left who really strives to create newness in everything he does. None of his games are rip offs. Just because he tosses in some homages to Space Harrier does not mean he is ripping something off. Bayonetta is not a rip off of DMC (also his game), it's a natural evolution. Okami is not a rip off of Zelda, they are just similar genre-wise...pretty different from both at a glance and a gameplay perspective.
That's true, but the combined combo of battle royale, lbp racing, smart ass and so forth seems just a bit shameless on Sonys part.
Baffling when they also publish such gems as journey and team icos games as well. Such a contrast. Can't help to wish they allocated all their investments on that type of creative products and not the former clear rip offs.

prwxv3

You can call it a rip off all you want but dont use bullshit retarded examples like "Cole's and Radec's level 3 supers are carbon copies of snakes final smash" "FP is a carbon copy of peach" ect.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's obviously a ripoff but I don't really care. I like SSB so I'm looking forward to this.

That's true, but the combined combo of battle royale, lbp racing, smart ass and so forth seems just a bit shameless on Sonys part.
Baffling when they also publish such gems as journey and team icos games as well. Such a contrast. Can't help to wish they allocated all their investments on that type of creative products and not the former clear rip offs.

Sony has a vast amount of 1st party developers working for them, they can afford to keep studios working on these "rip-offs" while still creating original IPs.

TDLink

Oh I completely agree. In glorious fantasy land everything would be new and fun (we can still have sequels of course), without having a dozen franchises that are essentially the same with minor tweaks in a given genre. Trying new things is how new genres and subgenres come to exist in the first place.

You can call it a rip off all you want but dont use bullshit retarded examples like "Cole's and Radec's level 3 supers are carbon copies of snakes final smash" "FP is a carbon copy of peach" ect.

I wouldn't use those examples, they are far to specific one way or the other. Although, that video someone posted up there trying to demonstrate the differences did try to use specifics like that (without using those so as to not hurt their point) and that to me is laughable. Being able to grab a ledge in one game and not grab a ledge in the other doesn't really make that large of a difference at a glance. (I'm well aware that on a technical level this is a big deal for pro players but casual players...the core purchaser for either game...doesn't/won't notice, or care).

KevinCow

Banned
Please, don't put words in my mouth. Kamiya is entitled to his own moral objection. I happen to agree with him. You appear not to.

Why do you have a moral objection to the idea of copying a game concept?

Do you have a similar moral objection to every game that's ever copied Super Mario Bros., Tetris, Doom, Street Fighter 2, or GTA3?

Do you have a similar moral objection to the entire genres of fantasy and sci-fi, since they're so heavily built on copying Lord of the Rings and Star Wars/Star Trek?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Personally, I don't see how anyone can be interested in this title unless they've been a Sony-only gamer for the past decade plus.

How about this:

I've been gaming since 1985 on Nintendo systems. I cut my teeth on the NES. I loved the SNES and I loved the Sega Genesis. Both equally, and with crazy fanboyism.

I was turned on to PlayStation in high school, when it released in 1995, and I was 16 years old.

I didn't play Smash Bros until Melee hit on the Gamecube, because I never owned an N64. The N64 and the Wii are the only Nintendo home consoles I never owned. After playing the Wii U at E3, I'm actually kind of sold on it, and will pick one up eventually. Since I just dropped $300 on a Vita earlier this year, I probably won't buy the Wii U during it's launch period, but I WILL buy one, and probably when the new Smash comes out, if not before.

You can be a fan of PlayStation AND Nintendo. Your comment was really silly, and makes no sense. The same argument can be said about the Smash games, and it wouldn't make it any less silly.

This game, like Smash Bros, is a fan service game. It's GOING to excite the fans of PlayStation, like Smash excites the fans of Nintendo. Why is that so hard for some people to accept. PlayStation has fans. Many of which have been gaming on PlayStation platforms for over 17 years, in the same way that I've been gaming on Nintendo platforms for 27 years.

If you aren't a Nintendo or PlayStation fan, I can't really see how you'd be terribly excited about either Smash OR PBR outside of maybe being intrigued by the combat systems in both games, and even then, you'd have to be some level of fighting game fan to even bother going that far.

Say it with me: Fan Service. This game...is...fan...service. Just like Smash Bros is fan service. Marvel vs Capcom is ALSO fan service. Most cross over fighters are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom