• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiking Gaf - "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Nice! From what I've read that is supposed to be one of the nicest stretches, though also the busiest.

Wish there were some national parks around here, but all we got is fields for miles.

M52B28

Banned
I have a chunk of money floating around as of now, so I'm wondering what I should buy to get outfitted better.

Here's the thing. I can get this tent here: REI Half Dome 4 Tent for 50% off at REI. It's either 50% on that, or 30% off on this tent here: Marmot Tungsten 4P Tent

I could get the Marmot, but that would be quite a bit more, but I would expect for it to last a bit longer due to the quality that Marmot is usually held to. REI makes good stuff, especially tents, but I'm not sure if I should go with their house brand and save even more money or just get the Marmot.

Either way, I'm going to have one eventually, but I'm just wondering if any of you have any advice to pitch in.

I'm also looking for a better sleeping bag.

The same case is for this as well. Either 50% off an REI bag or 30% off a non house brand.

I haven't started on the OT on this site yet, but I've gotten the general layout for it down. School is kicking my ass right now, so it's taking some time :p

Here's the thing. I can get this tent here: REI Half Dome 4 Tent for 50% off at REI. It's either 50% on that, or 30% off on this tent here: Marmot Tungsten 4P Tent

Those two tents you linked are very heavy. Now if you need a four person tent, these two tents may be exactly what you are looking for. I would recommend in that case to look for two 2-person tents. Give you more options for site selection, and for when you are backpacking with less people.

That said, if you are looking for a backpacking tent you need to find something much lighter. Take a look at the MSR Hubba Hubba. I don't know if that is in your price range, but that is really as heavy as you should go for backpacking. You can definitely go much lighter than the Hubba Hubba, but you are going to spend more. Take a look at the used market too. Tents are easy to buy. Go to whoever has it, set it up with them - if all the parts are there, and no unacceptable damage - buy it. In Canada, MEC has a used gear forum. REI may have that too.

M52B28

Banned
Lighter = more expensive

I was looking at 4 person tents because a few of my friends want to go camping sometime. I'm not even sure if they have tents. I have an extra, but that will be something I have to find out about.

Yeah, considering they always want to hiking and backpacking, I considered those two, but I would definitely like something that is lighter as weight was the first thing I looked at.

That said, I'm going to find out if they have tents for camping. If not, I'll just get that one for group activities and a 2P tent for myself to cut weight.

Also:
I work at REI 👌

Raven117

Can the Moderators simply edit the Title and the OP to reflect its new guy friendly?

Id hate to loose all of the great pics and contributions of the other posters in this thread as it is some solid solid stuff.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Don't stress yourself about the OT.

Can't really give you any tent advice, but do you really need a 4 person tent? They are both pretty heavy and they will take up a lot of space in your backpack. Unless you are certain that you always be traveling with 3 or 4 people I would suggest considering a smaller one.

I'm using this one: Tatonka Kyrkja
Only used it on a handful of trips so far and none of them have been particularly rainy so the real test is still to come. Pretty happy with it though.

Also, minor tip for backpacking with a tent (which you are probably already aware of): Don't bother putting the poles back in the stuff sack. Just attach them to the outside of your backpack. That way your tent takes up less space in your backpack.

Since becoming an adult I've only owned Wiggy's bags, and they have never failed me. Have three ultra-lights and an ultima thule, along with two regular ground pads and two long ground pads, also from Wiggy's, and compression sacks for all of them. I say as an adult because as a youth I had any number of terrible, terrible cotton sleeping bags that held moisture and were generally miserable.

For tents we have an older Marmot that looks like an Catalyst 2P, no issues, standard decent tent, etc. Use cheap tarp as a moisture barrier underneath. And then another even older Eureka standard 2P setup similar to the Catalyst. No complaints, but I like it "austere", no fancy enormous vestibules or anything ;).

M52B28

Banned
Ughh... There are some Asolo TPS 520s on sale for $173.73 at my job. They run for $300 flat at regular MSRP. I get a 10% discount as well, which makes the price 50% off without taxes. (Tax will be about $15.)

If all works well, I'm going to buy the boots and the tent. If I can only get one or the other, I'm getting the boots. Those Asolos tease me every time I walk past them.

Ughh... There are some Asolo TPS 520s on sale for $173.73 at my job. They run for $300 flat at regular MSRP. I get a 10% discount as well, which makes the price 50% off without taxes. (Tax will be about $15.)

If all works well, I'm going to buy the boots and the tent. If I can only get one or the other, I'm getting the boots. Those Asolos tease me every time I walk past them.

Do you worry about molded footbeds? I only buy welted after having problems with molded footbeds previously. This is what I've been using for the last five years:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alico-tahoe-hiking-boots-for-men~p~63669/

M52B28

Banned
Do you worry about molded footbeds? I only buy welted after having problems with molded footbeds previously. This is what I've been using for the last five years:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alico-tahoe-hiking-boots-for-men~p~63669/
I'm not too sure, honestly. I have a friend that has been using the Asolo for the past years since 2006 and he absolutely rags on them.

I think I'm going to get them. They're on clearance, and will go back to $300 when they're back in season. They are so gorgeous.

Just go back from climbing Ruapehu (because what is a volcano warning anyway) and did Tongariro for the third time a couple weeks ago. Was pretty incredible, lucked out so hard with the weather.

Was quite painful doing a hike that is essentially uphill the entire way with no flat areas to relax in. Definitely more rewarding though.

Anyone here done any other good hikes in New Zealand? I mean I live here but have pretty much just done the aforementioned two and then a few smaller 2-5h ones. Thinking of doing some in the South Island at some point, maybe this summer, any recommendations?

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
One of my favourite hikes on the South Island was the hike up Mount Angelus in the Nelson Lakes NP. I did in a day, but there is hut at the base of the mountain where you stay for the night. First eight pictures in this album are from that hike.

Of the Great Walks there I did the Kepler track and Heaphy. Kepler is pretty nice, especially the middle section on the ridges.
If the one way nature of the Heaphy track puts you off I would recommend starting on the west coast end and then hike up to James Mackay hut. From there you could hike to Gouland Downs for a day trip if you wanted to and then walk back the way you came, but I thought the coastal path to Heaphy hut was the most interesting part of that track, so you could probably just walk to that hut and back. That could be done in a day.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Bought a new sleeping bag today. Since I'm rarely out when it's really cold I figured I could just go with a summer sleeping bag. Its lower limit is at 9C so it might get a little chilly in the mountains still, but I can always wear more clothes. The biggest bonus with this is that it weighs 1kg less than my previous sleeping bag and so the combined weight of my tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad is now roughly 3kg.

Which means I should be able to go hiking with less than 10kg of gear and food on my back. Could easily save another 600g by getting a different pad.

On the downside, my 65l backpack is definitely way too big now. Maybe 40 or 50 will be better.

WedgeX

Banned
On Wednesday I'll be headed to California to hike through parts of Joshua Tree and Yosemite with my wife and a few friends. Four days of mostly day hikes. About five months ago I could hardly walk without severe neck pain much less try and head out for a few miles with a backpack on. But starting back at square one of just walking a few blocks and now doing PT has got me back on track. Have built up for the trip with some paths along the C&O including the Billy Goat trail, some basic loops on the Appalachian Trail, and just loading up my pack to walk about town. I badly want to do the Four Mile Trail in Yosemite valley but I've hardly ever done actual elevation changes and have lived near all my life between 150-500 feet above sea level. A little apprehension but that can't be a bad thing. My buddy we're meeting up with also did our wedding photos so we should have some great pictures when all is said and done.

Laekon

On Wednesday I'll be headed to California to hike through parts of Joshua Tree and Yosemite with my wife and a few friends. Four days of mostly day hikes. About five months ago I could hardly walk without severe neck pain much less try and head out for a few miles with a backpack on. But starting back at square one of just walking a few blocks and now doing PT has got me back on track. Have built up for the trip with some paths along the C&O including the Billy Goat trail, some basic loops on the Appalachian Trail, and just loading up my pack to walk about town. I badly want to do the Four Mile Trail in Yosemite valley but I've hardly ever done actual elevation changes and have lived near all my life between 150-500 feet above sea level. A little apprehension but that can't be a bad thing. My buddy we're meeting up with also did our wedding photos so we should have some great pictures when all is said and done.
You know it's about a 7 hour drive between the parks right? There are also still road closures happening at Yosemite for weather so check that out before trying to leave or arrive at night.

WedgeX

Banned
You know it's about a 7 hour drive between the parks right? There are also still road closures happening at Yosemite for weather so check that out before trying to leave or arrive at night.

Yeah we've built in a good amount of time for the car trip between, especially if Tioga Pass gets closed before we head on up.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I haven't hiked since I lived in Nepal and would go as a kid with family and on class trips.
So it's been something like 20 years since I went on a legit hike. But after vacationing in Montenegro and walking up to the fort in kotor and down again I realized how much I'd enjoy it if I was in better shape. So I've been working out for the past two months getting ready to do some hikes in baxter state park this summer. Anybody been? I lived in maine for years but never managed to get up to that area. Renting a camp ground and we plan to do two day hikes in the area.

M52B28

Banned
Mam, my friends are terrible at planning trips. We're going to be camping and rafting during scattered thunderstorms apparently. Does anyone have any advice if I do this with them?

Should I bother? I've never done such inclimate weather before.

Mam, my friends are terrible at planning trips. We're going to be camping and rafting during scattered thunderstorms apparently. Does anyone have any advice if I do this with them?

Should I bother? I've never done such inclimate weather before.

I spent a weekend once scrambling around granite hills in the Catskills in the rain in linen shorts with a cotton sleeping bag because I was a dumb teenager. It built character, I suppose. You want to have character, right?

Thus from a backpacking perspective... waterproof hat, poncho that easily fits over pack, all clothes and especially socks in plastic bags inside your pack, ground cover for underneath the tent to avoid seepage up into it, splurge on a small jet cook-stove so you can have a hot beverage. If you wear glasses I highly recommend contacts for the trip instead because constantly wiping them down from the humidity is annoying.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
Went for little overnight trip in the local national park this weekend.

CjnawfHWkAAXPgZ.jpg:large

Saucy_XL

Banned
Just did a bunch of hikes in Yosemite which had some amazing weather. Unfortunately we got turned away from going up halfdome due to thunderstorms though.

M52B28

Banned
Heading over to Big Basin Redwoords State Park.

I'm going to be leaving to the trail head/park entry early morning so that I can get through before sunrise and take some nice photos.

Also, lucky me found a Patagonia Capilene at Goodwill for $5. Pretty amazing considering the shirt is $50 at my job.

AEREC

Cool thread...I'm planning doing a lot of day hikes this year out of the Seattle area (tiger mountain, cougar mountain, etc). Subbed.

Goodlife

Did the Welsh three peaks yesterday.
20.35 miles, making a total ascent of 9,397ft (2,864m)
Was the first long walk I've done in a long long time, really enjoyed it though.
Body is in bits now though!

ana

My New hammock should arrive next week:warbonnet Blackbird xlc.. can't wait to take it for a hike..

M52B28

Banned
My New hammock should arrive next week:warbonnet Blackbird xlc.. can't wait to take it for a hike..
I've been really wanting a hammock for hiking. Seems like it would be nice during a day hike to just relax for a bit.

Kyuur

Recently found out the local parks in the Rockies (Alberta) don't allow off leash dogs. I found some nearby trails that do, but they're more for day hikes. Does anyone know of a good multi-day backcountry trail system that allows off leash dogs in North America? We skipped last year and want to go again this year but I'd much rather keep the pup free and not break the law doing so; even if I have to travel for it.

ACE 1991

Oh shit, didn't know this was a thread! Here's a picture from my recent 4 day 3 night trip in the Grand Canyon, took me several attempts before I finally got a permit for the route I wanted to do, which was the Escalante Route. It was an unbelievable trip and I highly recommend you do it as long as you're down with very rough terrain and long days plus scant water access.

ACE 1991

Has anyone done much hiking in Shenandoah National Park in VA? Will be doing a brief weekend trip over the 4th of July with some friends and I'm open to route suggestions.

lawnchair

Banned
going out for a lil solo overnight backpack tonight, just around 20 miles round trip. hope i don't die. will try to take pictures!

hoserx

Nice choice. Hammocking is the only way to camp. Never go to ground. I am awaiting another hammock myself, (once you start, you begin to collect them). It's a Dream Hammock Sparrow. Dream Hammock is a company that custom makes every single order. The fabric options are extensive, along with the accessories you can have added to your rig. There is about a 7 week wait time on orders. Here's what I went with: http://www.dream-hammock.com/current_order_detail.html?order=3865

Also, wow, hiking gaf exists!

forms

Nice choice. Hammocking is the only way to camp. Never go to ground. I am awaiting another hammock myself, (once you start, you begin to collect them). It's a Dream Hammock Sparrow. Dream Hammock is a company that custom makes every single order. The fabric options are extensive, along with the accessories you can have added to your rig. There is about a 7 week wait time on orders. Here's what I went with: http://www.dream-hammock.com/current_order_detail.html?order=3865

Also, wow, hiking gaf exists!

Aren't you afraid of being, you know, bit in the ass by a vicious rabbit or something?

#tentgaf

hoserx

Aren't you afraid of being, you know, bit in the ass by a vicious rabbit or something?

#tentgaf

Haha, no I am not. I have an underquilt below me that offers a thicker layer of protection than a double walled tent would, plus I am fully encapsulated in a large tarp with doors on both ends. The comfort of a hammock is something I'd never give up! If a bear wants to eat you, he / she will come through whatever shelter you are in. That being said..... I never sleep in any clothing I cooked in, and keep all of my food/sweaty gear far away from my hammock at night.

thespot84

Obligatory perspective gag for terrified parents doing Hamlin after hiking Katahdin yesterday.

1400ft from base to lean-tos night before. Then 2400 ft next morning up to Katahdin via Saddle, then back down to Saddle 1300ft, then another 750ft up to Hamlin, then down another 1700ft back to lean-tos, then down 1400ft again the next morning. Fun stuff.

Been wanting to get into hiking for a few years now, but I always held off because of not having enough time and health.

The first issue is solved by the fact that I'm taking a gap year before graduate school, so that's no longer a worry. But my health is still a concern, particularly my allergies and trying to figure out how to camp with them. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences from camping with allergies?

Been wanting to get into hiking for a few years now, but I always held off because of not having enough time and health.

The first issue is solved by the fact that I'm taking a gap year before graduate school, so that's no longer a worry. But my health is still a concern, particularly my allergies and trying to figure out how to camp with them. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences from camping with allergies?

Do you take medication for allergies already or allergy relief pills? One of the guys I used to backpack with took prescription stuff his Dr prescribed. It helped him a lot.

Did The Narrows at Zion last month and it was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Possibly my favorite hike ever so far. The crater hike at Haleakala is a close second.

Do you take medication for allergies already or allergy relief pills? One of the guys I used to backpack with took prescription stuff his Dr prescribed. It helped him a lot.
I do, I pretty regularly use a loratadine.

I guess I'm worried about how those pills will hold up out in the actual wild lol.

I do, I pretty regularly use a loratadine.

I guess I'm worried about how those pills will hold up out in the actual wild lol.

Go on a weekend trip Friday/Saturday hike out Sunday morning and see how it goes. Follow safety protocol and leave your trip with friends and or family and see what happens.

vern

What's up hikers?! Forgot all about this thread I think I was in here a few years back when I was hiking in Washington.

Honestly not trying to plug my YouTube channel but thought you might be interested to see some hiking in China and a bit of the (in)famous plank walk in the sky at Huashan. Around the 9 minute mark is when the mountain section starts and a few minutes later is the plank walk, so jump to there if you feel so inclined.

https://youtu.be/2qoejOXxn7k

Hiking in China is way different than in the states or nepal, Korea or Europe (my only other experiences). The trails are always (let's say 99 percent of the time) paved or bricked and there are people making pretty legit hikes in suits or even women in high heels.

I also did a decent day hike the other day in Yunnan Province... no video but maybe some pictures if I remember later once I process them. It was nice there was no one around, just a few miles through the rainforest. Mostly paved but with a few dirt trails. Lots of water, both streams and intermittent rain.

mhayes86

Just go back from climbing Ruapehu (because what is a volcano warning anyway) and did Tongariro for the third time a couple weeks ago. Was pretty incredible, lucked out so hard with the weather.

Was quite painful doing a hike that is essentially uphill the entire way with no flat areas to relax in. Definitely more rewarding though.

Anyone here done any other good hikes in New Zealand? I mean I live here but have pretty much just done the aforementioned two and then a few smaller 2-5h ones. Thinking of doing some in the South Island at some point, maybe this summer, any recommendations?

My wife and I will be visiting New Zealand in January, and we'll be spending a day in Tongaririo National Park (at the Chateau). We were looking into the Alpine Crossing there and would like to hike at least to the base of Mt. Ngauruhoe. Any idea how long that usually takes from the nearby car park, or to the summit even? If we had more time and the right accommodations, I'd love to do the whole Alpine trail, which I read can take 5-7 hours I think.

As for the South Island, we're planning a day around Franz Josef to hike nearby the glacier. I'll get back to you in January on that one.

We'll be spending our last few days in NZ between Dunedin and Christchurch, so I'd love to find any day trip areas to hike on the South Island as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom