• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hip hop for the holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hip hop is great and I think it sounds even better in the winter. What are some of the albums you're digging into most this holiday season? I'd love to hear, so many of you listen to so much. Here's six discs picking me up right now and I can't praise them enough:

1. Luke Cage soundtrack by Ali Shaheed Muhammad, Adrian Younge
I don't care about the show but love the artists, and this is literally a dream come true. Unexpected and incredible.

2. Liquid Swords by GZA / Wu
Lord have mercy.

3. Paid in Full by Eric B and Rakim
I love the mathematics of the beats and their insane lyricism.

4. Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous by Big L
Revisiting this after a few years and just damn I had forgotten how much he makes laugh, skills for days and his flow is just unbelievable.

5. Special Herbs Volumes 0-9 by Metal Fingers
A few years of collected MF Doom's samples, I fugging love raw DJ work so it's a real treat.

6. Power in Numbers by Jurassic Five
I listened to their first Quality Control so much in the summer I had to move on. One of my favorite groups in terms of talent, energy, creativeness, joy, message, etc.

Nothing surprising really, just quality. Again, what are you digging? What would you recommend?

____

I can't believe that getting locked up got Gucci to be so...happy in the end. I'm glad for him and wish him the best.

He seriously transformed into a brand new guy. I was a fan before, but man I'm really happy for the guy now. He was about to melt down before he went in.

this is like the best winter album, but probably cause I remember fondly on the days when it came out in the winter listening to songs like "winter warz" and "cold world"
Yeah, there's just something intangible about it all. Even their subject matter makes me think of grey days and bridges, tunnels, wet bricks, etc.

So this thread isn't about Chance and Jeremih's Christmas Mixtape?
No and it's not about Christmas in Hollis by DMC neither.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom