• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollow Knight |OT| Cute Insects That Just Want to Burrow Into Your Heart

Anno

Fan art for this game seems pretty intense. There are a surprising number of these comics in the Art section of the Steam community hub, along with a lot of other stuff. And most are pretty good.

42DD7724E69939FA43E13C9613715385E670FE69
]

Fuck Zote

Precept of Zote 39: Frimaire is a busta

Edit: Oh holy shit, I just realized after reading some of those comics that the
Blue Lake
is directly above City of Tears and is
exactly what Quirrel was alluding to when you meet him on the CoT bench and where his last resting place is!

Holy poop this game is so cool

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fuck Zote...

...but
I love his conversation with Bretta
:3

These Mantis Lords, can't heal at all and gotta be perfect. Should I bother getting a stronger weapon, dream nail or whatever? Or just memorise when it's gonna throw low and high spinning boomerangs?
You can indeed heal when they throw their weapons.

Getting a nail damage upgrade (or offensive charms in general) isn't necessary for a reasonable fight, but it will obviously lower the difficulty.

Sarcasm

Guys I am kind of...lost.

I just beat Hornet and I got down to Fungal Wastes. I can't get over a wall even jumping on those bouncy things. What do I do?

Anno

Guys I am kind of...lost.

I just beat Hornet and I got down to Fungal Wastes. I can't get over a wall even jumping on those bouncy things. What do I do?

You're in the right place. Not sure where you are in the wastes, but are you just not bouncing high enough off the mushrooms? If so then down-attack to bounce extra high. If not then there's just a path you missed somewhere that continues heading downwards until you get to the Mantis Village.

Sarcasm

You're in the right place. Not sure where you are in the wastes, but are you just not bouncing high enough off the mushrooms? If so then down-attack to bounce extra high. If not then there's just a path you missed somewhere that continues heading downwards until you get to the Mantis Village.

I tried everything..but downwards attack.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
the
black egg is where the last boss is
so no, you dont have to hurry

1. There is nothing you can do. Many things that happen, such as that area, or what happens to the first area are tied to progression of the main quest. So there are some places during the course of the story where shit is just gonna happen.
Oh, okay, thanks guys. Here goes the mountain from my shoulders (^__^)

2. That thing does nothing at the moment, but is apparently
the egg Hornet came out of and will be related to her DLC story
WHOA!
There's also gonna be story DLC for this game? How you know?

You sure about this? Because Im at like 1250 frags and the speed boost so far is definetely attached to a charm named Dream Wielder.
e13dea463fff65e67ea1e0097a75eb2b_download-upload-gif-homer-doh-gif_245-197.gif

Yep, there's a charm named Dream Wielder which let's you charge faster.

vermadas

Jesus Christ. You guys weren't kidding about The W
hite
P
alace
. Getting Super Meat Boy flashbacks. I'm pretty happy with the difficulty curve in this game now. The three
dream boss fights
are no joke.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jesus Christ. You guys weren't kidding about The W
hite
P
alace
. Getting Super Meat Boy flashbacks. I'm pretty happy with the difficulty curve in this game now. The three
dream boss fights
are no joke.

actually one of them is a joke :p

Sarcasm

Right now bouncy stones are my real enemy.

Downward attack is HIGHLY unreliable, so jumping on these things is way more of a pain than some hard task. Can I change this? Why can't I just double tap jump like a normal person on it?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
These Mantis Lords, can't heal at all and gotta be perfect. Should I bother getting a stronger weapon, dream nail or whatever? Or just memorise when it's gonna throw low and high spinning boomerangs?
I beat them in around four attempts without the nail upgrade but I can't remember what the benefits were. I know that I wished I had a stronger nail in the next area, which was pretty annoying all around.

If I were playing again I'd probably get the upgrade first.

Sarcasm

I must be really stupid as:

When I get a new ability like:
Mantis Claws, where you can climb the sides
I can't remember where to go back.

Anno

I must be really stupid as:

When I get a new ability like:
Mantis Claws, where you can climb the sides
I can't remember where to go back.

Go
back up a few screens until you get to where you saw Hornet on your way down. There's a new zone off the right that is your next destination.

I beat them in around four attempts without the nail upgrade but I can't remember what the benefits were. I know that I wished I had a stronger nail in the next area, which was pretty annoying all around.

If I were playing again I'd probably get the upgrade first.
There's no tangible benefit after beating them sans upgrade. You just save time and it was something the game only merely suggested after all.

BaerTaffy started playing it too. I think all the NLSS guys are giving it a shot which is pretty great. Other than that, it's mostly gotten a lot of play on Twitch and not as much on Youtube. Highest profile guy playing it is Hutts. I'd love if this helps them get the word out as Nick (RockLeeSmile) pretty much has it as his GOTY and there have been some big streamers with over 1000 people watching who have been playing it.

Manzoon

Banned
So does the beta branch on steam have better optimization, or bug fixes for inputs dropping? I'm taking so many hits due to inputs being dropped and auto-walking that the
Trial of Fools
is annoyingly more difficult than it should be. I'm having to double tap every direction it seems to make sure the input registers. The
second Hornet fight
had me take quite a few extra hits too.

Edited to be less ambiguous.

Hrm, wonder why you're getting so much input dropping. I experienced like...none except during the stuttering and after the latest patch I didn't have any stuttering at all.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing using a controller the whole time and haven't had any weird inputs that I can recall.

Never seen autowalking either. Is this a DS4Windows thing like I've seen in the Neir thread? Where it is double detecting your DS4? Is the Hide the controller box checked in DS4Windows?

Anno

Yeah I've had none of those issues with a Steam controller. Game handles like a dream. I did see some threads about wired Xbox controllers being weird, maybe it's that?

I did have an issue with my wired 360 controller acting up occasionally, losing connection which sometimes led to the autowalking that Manzoon mentioned. But then again I figured that was an issue with the controller itself since I've experienced it in other games recently. Thought maybe the cord was damaged as a result of wrapping it up.

Manzoon

Banned
I am using an Xbox One controller wired up to my PC (don't have blue tooth or a dongle), it has given me no issues in any other game since I got it Black Friday (notably I beat Ori before playing this with non of these issues, also GTA V). It seemed better after that first update on steam, but that might have just been me hoping.

Love this game but it is annoying.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
There's no tangible benefit after beating them sans upgrade. You just save time and it was something the game only merely suggested after all.
Oh yeah, I just meant I couldn't remember what items it allowed me to get in the next area. If there were something really good then it might have been worth struggling for.

Anno

Oh yeah, I just meant I couldn't remember what items it allowed me to get in the next area. If there were something really good then it might have been worth struggling for.

It gets you a ton of Geo and the
nail length increaser
charm. One other thing I can't remember off the top of my head.

Edit: nm didn't see you had already done it

Axass

Precept of Zote 39: Frimaire is a busta

Edit: Oh holy shit, I just realized after reading some of those comics that the
Blue Lake
is directly above City of Tears and is
exactly what Quirrel was alluding to when you meet him on the CoT bench and where his last resting place is!

Holy poop this game is so cool

Oh come on, I can't believe I hadn't noticed yet. That's genius.

This game guys, this game.

Anno

Starting to pick up a few more reviews on Meta/Opencritic. Newest one is a 9 from IGN Spain which I imagine will help with some more publicity. Hopefully they keep trickling in.

Manzoon

Banned
So I just got home and did a few searches around to find out if anyone was having a similar issue. Some of the suggestions between the reddit and steam community threads were launching in big picture mode and futzing around with some GPU settings. All I did in the nvidia control panel was set it to maximum performance for the power saving settings, v-sync has been turned off since I first started trying to minimize this issue.

I launched in big picture and decided to use the stick instead of the d-pad. Just this one time, I only had the auto-walk happen once during the
trial of fools(incidentally, I died when the side panels come out and you have to fight two mawloks)
instead of repeated controls locking up, not sure if it was big picture or me using the stick. It felt more responsive, frame stuttering was still there a little bit.

Anyone else using an Xbox One controller wired up, and did you primarily play with the stick or the d-pad?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to watch that as well. I'm not ready to do another playthrough any time soon (probably will wait for the Hornet DLC), so NL and Baer's LPs should fulfill my HK fix for the immediate future.
Is Hornet DLC confirmed? Her design and weapon is so cool that I've been wishing she was the playable character instead!

Anno

Is Hornet DLC confirmed? Her design and weapon is so cool that I've been wishing she was the playable character instead!

It was part of the Kickstarter and they reaffirmed they were still intending on it at time of release along with some other stuff. I hope it does come become she's a cool character and they could make a lot of cool moves with her awesome weapon.

Randam

It was part of the Kickstarter and they reaffirmed they were still intending on it at time of release along with some other stuff. I hope it does come become she's a cool character and they could make a lot of cool moves with her awesome weapon.
just had a look at their Kickstarter Page.

they mixed the stretch goals a little bit around it seems.

2nd stretch goal was the White Palace.
but it also said there would be 2 new Bosses. Dusk Knight and King's Golem.

3rd stretch goal were 4 new quests and again 2 new bosses.
but here you don't know what that could be.

Colloseum of Fools was a stretch goal too.
but it was never reached.
Yet the CoF is in the game.

DPB

I launched in big picture and decided to use the stick instead of the d-pad. Just this one time, I only had the auto-walk happen once during the
trial of fools(incidentally, I died when the side panels come out and you have to fight two mawloks)
instead of repeated controls locking up, not sure if it was big picture or me using the stick. It felt more responsive, frame stuttering was still there a little bit.

Anyone else using an Xbox One controller wired up, and did you primarily play with the stick or the d-pad?

I was using the d-pad when I first started the game, and ran into the same issues you experienced. The game played much better for me once I switched to using the analog stick. I don't think that d-pad is all that great, I even found some areas much easier with the stick, like the bits where you to bounce along platforms by attacking downwards.

I just took a gander at the achievements aaaand

O1an1o5.png

Looks like I'm never getting all of 'em!

That's great to hear.

Edit: Fog Canyon spoilers:
That banker bastard done robbed me! Hahaha I burst out laughing when the hut was nothing more than a standee.

Top Bottom