• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon ZD Production cost at least €45 / ~$47 mil, peak team 250 people + 100 china

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Engine of the year goes to Decima.

Now think about the fact that Kojima poached a lot of his old team at Konami including the minds behind the Fox Engine and is co-developing the Decima engine with Guerrilla Games. Imagine what Horizon 2 is going to look like with the improvements and advancements made alongside Kojima and his team while working on Death Stranding.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
That's a seriously good use of budget. Really surprised it ended up that low.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
6 years?

Can you imagine how long it will take PS5 titles?

10 years incoming.

I'll be a pensioner by the time games come out on PS5..

Mooreberg

They are running a good operation over there if they can make a great 30 hour game in three years and some change (from last release, not the full dev cycle), for less than $50M USD. Although I am guessing they have access to millions upon millions of dollars in resources for free being a first party studio who is either 1A or 1B in the technical department (other being Naughty Dog or SSM).

Some Nobody

6 years?

Can you imagine how long it will take PS5 titles?

10 years incoming.

I'll be a pensioner by the time games come out on PS5..

3 years pre-production though. I think they're underselling how much work was put in getting this thing properly off the ground.

Five years is much more realistic for most games like this.

Higher cost of living in NYC vs Amsterdam
Bigger scope (Online mode, multiple protagonists)
Lots of voice acting
Multiple Studios working on it
Licensed Music and original music (they had bands create original songs for the radio)
The fact that they knew they'd make all of it back so they went all out.

All of those will add up to an expensive game.
GTA is made in Scotland, dude.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Now think about the fact that Kojima poached a lot of his old team at Konami including the minds behind the Fox Engine and is co-developing the Decima engine with Guerrilla Games. Imagine what Horizon 2 is going to look like with the improvements and advancements made alongside Kojima and his team while working on Death Stranding.
Makes me hopeful and excited AF tbh. Engine tech progress due to this sexy collaboration is going to lead to amazing results.

Alo0oy

Banned
Who's the project manager for this game? Because that person is very talented.

It's probably at 100m+ with marketing though.

Iastfan112

Neo Member
Witcher 3 was around 81 Million. I wonder what GG would achieve with a bigger budget, hope we get to find out in the sequel.

Witcher 3 number includes marketing though so its nowhere near a fair comparison. Also that murky "at least" qualifier.

Is it safe to assume this game will be profitable?

It should be a safe bet. It's got everything working in its favor. Great reviews, strong word of mouth and very aggressive marketing. This should be one of those games where Sony will announce its sales relatively soon because they're high enough to brag about.

That is extremely cheap for a AAA open world game. Great job controlling the budget and bodes very well for the games profitability

BumRush

Even if it's 3x the number in the article, GG is going to make a ton of money for themselves / Sony. If the reported number is accurate...wow.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That's on the lower end these days.

Very low but they save a ton not having crazy network and service costs, which may also help how they accrue costs upfront since they won't need a huge team on it post launch.

and overall outsourcing helps keep budget in check due to sales ceiling of being only on 1 platform. They don't get the easy ROI for cheap port investment.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It says "more than 45 million" and that GG wouldn't say what it cost.

That's essentially zero information.

assuming this game have total budget of $100 million for development and marketing. how many copies they need to sell just to break even?

OT..but i just started playing last night and goddamn....is that an army of ants building their nest with leaves bits on the trees?

The detail is crazy!!! This is an open world!! WOW! @_@

gow3isben

Like most studios, Sony doesn't usually discuss how much their games cost. But they have discussed it on rare occasions. The first two Uncharted games cost 20m each, God of War 3 cost 44m and Gran Turismo 5 cost 60m.

20 million for Uncharted 2? My God.

Memento

20 million for Uncharted 2? My God.

Yeah, that is insane too. When UC2 launched back in 2009 it was like the most expensive looking game ever.

It is even more impressive when you compare it to Tomb Raider 2013, a game in the same vein that cost $100 million.

T-0800

I bought the digital version so that more money would go to the people that made/funded it. Not even joking.

Noirulus

I think the fact that it doesn't have any multiplayer allowed them to maintain such a reasonable budget. Good shit GG.

stryke

Not sure if serious, but if u are going to accuse the dev of doing it, at least back it up with evidences. It's not funny.

I don't have numbers but crunch culture in ND is well known.

Of course other developers do it too but ND seems to take pride in it. During Uc4 crunch I recall several employees tweeting about it. There's also a blog by their Ai programmer Max Dyckhoff who talks about it as well.

Top Bottom