• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Preview Thread [Up: All Previews Live]

I did ask a couple of days ago and that it hadn't been confirmed yet but I'm ask again incase that's changed. Has there been confirmation wither way about entities like Tallnecks and whether you attack them, or vice versa?

I do get the feeling that it's not going to happen but it will seem strange if they're complete completely invulnerable.
Previews have mentioned that Tallnecks can trample you underfoot if you're not careful.

But I haven't seen anything saying whether they'll actively be aggressive.

Although if there was an enemy Tallnecks, I imagine that's something they'd keep as a surprise

JP

Previews have mentioned that Tallnecks can trample you underfoot if you're not careful.

But I haven't seen anything whether if they'll actively be aggressive.

Although if there was an enemy Tallnecks, I imagine that's something they'd keep as a surprise
I was wondering if they were maybe keeping it a secret and it would just seem out of place if all they were was autonomous walking platforms. It would just feel out of place with everything else that we're seen in the world.

Also, I want to see some Thunderjaw Vs Tallneck confrontations. That would definitely be a good way to show off the in game destruction as they battled through the landscape. ��
Thunderjaw_Tallneck_1465873632.jpg

Didn't know about the save system. Pretty cool, I can see more and more why people are comparing it to Far Cry.

I think the FAQ in the OP should be updated to address all the Ubisoft open world comparisons this thread seems to be getting every day. The OP should make it clear that indeed, collecting items and crafting are major components of the game, and if that is turn off the game might not be for you. It should also explain how the moving towers can unlock the map. But then highlight some other things that differentiate it from the Ubisoft formula.

Kin5290

Something I noticed in one of the previews: Aloy can be incredibly, acidly sarcastic, and that can actually be pretty funny. Like after killing the Corrupter at the gate in a story mission, one of the soldiers on the wall thanks the sun for showing favor to them, and Aloy mutters to herself "I didn't see the sun risking its ass down here".

Here's hoping there's a lot of that.
Didn't know about the save system. Pretty cool, I can see more and more why people are comparing it to Far Cry.

I think the FAQ in the OP should be updated to address all the Ubisoft open world comparisons this thread seems to be getting every day. The OP should make it clear that indeed, collecting items and crafting are major components of the game, and if that is turn off the game might not be for you. It should also explain how the moving towers can unlock the map. But then highlight some other things that differentiate it from the Ubisoft formula.
Collecting components and crafting items isn't a Ubisoft thing, it's a Witcher 3 thing. A more obsessive person could have trouble hopping off Roach every few feet to collect a flower or herb.

I'm thinking 85-90

although to be honest, I wouldn't be suprised if it doesn't even reach the level of Nioh (87)

Nioh has an All Time Great combat system that is able to sustain itself throughout the whole game

Horizon seems to have a great combat system, judging from the previews but it remains to be seen if it can sustain the whole game

I dunno. Nioh is a niche game whereas Horizon is targeted for a broad demographic (that doesn't mean "Easy" or "Casual" by the way, just that it has a much broader appeal), and Horizon seemingly nails everything it aims to achieve. Only way I see it doing less than Nioh score-wise is due to some unforeseen fatal flaw with the game that no one can actually predict.

I mean, Dragon Age Inquisition got 85% MC with average combat, badly designed open world and an average story. If Horizon doesn't beat that, at least, I'd be surprised.

Moving towers don't "Unlock" the map though. Just shows points of interest. Kinda like Witcher 3 Noticeboards. Except more interesting. Also, why we gotta compare it to Far Cry. The game is way more like a spiritual successor to The Saboteur.

Something I noticed in one of the previews: Aloy can be incredibly, acidly sarcastic, and that can actually be pretty funny. Like after killing the Corrupter at the gate in a story mission, one of the soldiers on the wall thanks the sun for showing favor to them, and Aloy mutters to herself "I didn't see the sun risking its ass down here".

Collecting components and crafting items isn't a Ubisoft thing, it's a Witcher 3 thing. A more obsessive person could have trouble hopping off Roach every few feet to collect a flower or herb.

In all honesty I personally don't even want to attribute it to any one game. Resident Evil has crafting. Pokemon has you collecting items, and you generally spend a decent amount time managing them in menus. Bioshock, Final Fantasy, Red Dead, Tomb Raider, and most RPG's in general...the list goes on and on. Even the new Zelda has crafting. However the reason for my original post is that it does seem, for whatever reason, that people associate excessive crafting and item collecting with Ubisoft games. And of course, anything Ubisoft = bad on this forum and increasingly with gaming journalists as well.

I get where you're coming from.

Found a picture of the guy on the wall

solaire-of-astora-large.jpg

I was wondering if they were maybe keeping it a secret and it would just seem out of place if all they were was autonomous walking platforms. It would just feel out of place with everything else that we're seen in the world.

Also, I want to see some Thunderjaw Vs Tallneck confrontations. That would definitely be a good way to show off the in game destruction as they battled through the landscape. ��
How so? Every robot doesn't need to be aggressive/threatening.

Moving towers don't "Unlock" the map though. Just shows points of interest. Kinda like Witcher 3 Noticeboards. Except more interesting.

First, pardon my ignorance - I decided not to watch any of the videos (cause I'm that excited for the game), nor have I read too many previews.

I agree that is more interesting. So it's similar to conversing with vendors in FF 15? I haven't played the Witcher. So that might be even more incentive to update the OP. I think a lot of people will see Aloy climbing a moving tower and take it at face value.

Also, why we gotta compare it to Far Cry. The game is way more like a spiritual successor to The Saboteur.

I havent played Saboteur, but the Far Car comparisons seem pretty fair to me. Many of the systems outlined so far, combined with the setting, probably makes that sort of comparison inevitable.

Styles

Yeah, I was kinda confused when people started comparing this to Far Cry. Is it because of the setting?

I've always thought the game shared a tight bond with the Wticher 3(which I absolutely love and adore).

Far Cry doesn't have dialog choices. Or lore. Or dungeons. Or third person combat with dodge rolling. Or robo dinos.
It does have an open world with towers (walking towers that follow their own trails, but still...towers), collecting, and light RPG elements, so Horizon is like Far Cry. Or something like that

Personally after watching 2 or 3 previews most of the trailers if I'm honest I hope I don't rile ppl up here I think it mostly looks and plays like
horizon

Hello Loudninja you are awesome btw

Sora as your avatar? You'll go far. May your heart be your guiding key

Man I need some snow gameplay they're hiding it Nd im upset :(

Welcome, and you are not alone.

Thank you!

Sora avatar, first post in a Horizon thread. I think we'll get along just fine

Lol, I joined right before Fallout 4. I was so mad I didn't even make my first post until months later

Thanks! I'm sorry to hear that! Well we are here now to experience this game!

Yeah, I was kinda confused when people started comparing this to Far Cry. Is it because of the setting?

I've always thought the game shared a tight bond with the Wticher 3(which I absolutely love and adore).

I never even knew Far Cry Primal existed until this game! Did it sell well? I see it mentioned when this game is concerned but honestly I haven't heard or seen anything about it. Maybe if it's cheap I can play it.

Kin5290

It does have an open world with towers, collecting, and light RPG elements, so Horizon is like Far Cry. Or something like that

Far Cry has collecting where you collect all the widgets to unlock a thing. Horizon's collectibles look to be lore based, like audio recordings.

Krakin

It does have an open world with towers (walking towers that follow their own trails, but still...towers), collecting, and light RPG elements, so Horizon is like Far Cry. Or something like that

Mordor has those things except for the collecting. People compare it to Far Cry and specifically Primal, mostly because of ascetics.

A corrupted tallneck would be a cool surprise.

If there was one thing I wish was improved, based on footage I've seen so far, it's the pinning the machines down with the ropecaster. It seems that they will fall over even if you harpoon them on a single side of their bodies. It'd be cool if you had to harpoon them all around their bodies in order to bring them down. At least for the biggest machines.

First, pardon my ignorance - I decided not to watch any of the videos (cause I'm that excited for the game), nor have I read too many previews.

I agree that is more interesting. So it's similar to conversing with vendors in FF 15? I haven't played the Witcher. So that might be even more incentive to update the OP. I think a lot of people will see Aloy climbing a moving tower and take it at face value.

I havent played Saboteur, but the Far Car comparisons seem pretty fair to me. Many of the systems outlined so far, combined with the setting, probably makes that sort of comparison inevitable.

It's cool. Though, I have to ask what got you excited for the game in the first place if you haven't watched any videos. The most exciting stuff has been all the gameplay footage they released, along with all the information they put out off-stage for the press. The previews so far have just been the icing on the cake.

I'll be honest, I've not played any of the Far Cry games, so I can't actually compare it to those, however, yes, the towers function like the vendors in FFXV with the added caveat that you have to find a way to climb them first. Otherwise, the map just updates with points of interest as you discover them.

I guess the issue I have with the Far Cry comparisons is that all these features that people are saying are "Far Cry" like, are features I've come to expect from RPGs in general. Saying that crafting and an open world are "Far Cry" like is like saying that FPS games are "Portal" like. Sure they all have a similarity to Portal, Portal was hardly the first FPS game, wasn't the first game to popularise FPS features and sure as hell isn't comparable on the whole to FPS games in general.

And don't worry, I just like to use the Saboteur as a sarcastic response to the Far Cry comments. Don't read too much into it. :p

It's cool. Though, I have to ask what got you excited for the game in the first place if you haven't watched any videos. The most exciting stuff has been all the gameplay footage they released, along with all the information they put out off-stage for the press. The previews so far have just been the icing on the cake.

I'll be honest, I've not played any of the Far Cry games, so I can't actually compare it to those, however, yes, the towers function like the vendors in FFXV with the added caveat that you have to find a way to climb them first. Otherwise, the map just updates with points of interest as you discover them.

I guess the issue I have with the Far Cry comparisons is that all these features that people are saying are "Far Cry" like, are features I've come to expect from RPGs in general. Saying that crafting and an open world are "Far Cry" like is like saying that FPS games are "Portal" like. Sure they all have a similarity to Portal, Portal was hardly the first FPS game, wasn't the first game to popularise FPS features and sure as hell isn't comparable on the whole to FPS games in general.

And don't worry, I just like to use the Saboteur as a sarcastic response to the Far Cry comments. Don't read too much into it. :p

Haha I only meant I haven't watched the videos associated with this preview event. I went on media blackout after watching the gameplay footage from E3 2016- I knew this game was way up my alley after that demonstration.

I agree with the bolded so, so much. I'm with you 100%. Unfortunately though I think that those features, combined with the moving towers, paints a picture of a Ubisoft inspired game for many others.

I dunno why, nor do I know if it would actually bother people as much as they say it would. Some people like to make the argument that it is 'lazy' design, or not very creative in general. I think that those people forget that this is a game that stars a female protagonist fighting in a wholly unique setting with combat that makes it look like a pristine linear action game. I don't think Horizon is lacking in creative tendencies.

I guess it is what it is ¯\_(シ)_/¯. I was thinking that if these features paint such a bad picture for some folk, then it would best to be upfront about it, so that no one is 'surprised' after launch.

Haha I only meant I haven't watched the videos associated with this preview event. I went on media blackout after watching the gameplay footage from E3 2016- I knew this game was way up my alley after that demonstration.

I agree with the bolded so, so much. I'm with you 100%. Unfortunately though I think that those features, combined with the moving towers, paints a picture of a Ubisoft inspired game for many others.

I dunno why, nor do I know if it would actually bother people as much as they say it would. Some people like to make the argument that it is 'lazy' design, or not very creative in general. I think that those people forget that this is a game that stars a female protagonist fighting in a wholly unique setting with combat that makes it look like a pristine linear action game. I don't think Horizon is lacking in creative tendencies.

I guess it is what it is ¯\_(シ)_/¯. I was thinking that if these features paint such a bad picture for some folk, then it would best to be upfront about it, so that no one is 'surprised' after launch.

I think the issue with the Far Cry comparison, and the reason it's irritating a lot of people, is a combination that the game is nothing like Far Cry, and that there's a current sentiment of negativity surrounding Ubisoft within the gaming community. There are a lot of people just going "Oh, sounds like Far Cry. No longer interested" who have now put themselves off of something they may actually like. And the people who like the look of the game want the game to sell well so that we can get more of it in future, because there isn't anything quite like the game with regards to the combination of setting, combat and size.

McHuj

Sorry for asking this but I haven't been paying too much attention. but

Has any preview mentioned how big/long this game is expected to be? Should I expect a traditional RPg length of 40+ hours or am I looking at something more in the ballpark of 15 hours with optional collectathon quests.

Has any preview mentioned how big/long this game is expected to be? Should I expect a traditional RPg length of 40+ hours or am I looking at something more in the ballpark of 15 hours with optional collectathon quests.

A preview can't answer that question. They've only had access to 4 hours of gameplay.

I think the issue with the Far Cry comparison, and the reason it's irritating a lot of people, is a combination that the game is nothing like Far Cry, and that there's a current sentiment of negativity surrounding Ubisoft within the gaming community. There are a lot of people just going "Oh, sounds like Far Cry. No longer interested" who have now put themselves off of something they may actually like. And the people who like the look of the game want the game to sell well so that we can get more of it in future, because there isn't anything quite like the game with regards to the combination of setting, combat and size.

This.

Nothing definitive but expectations should definitely be leaning toward the former.

Yes to the bolded (with some side-questing, of course). I can't tell you how long the game would be if you try to rush through it, only doing the main quests.

cheesekao

Horizon is as much of a Far Cry clone as Shadow Warrior is a Doom clone. Some people simply want to be as reductive as possible.

Arion

is there a timer that goes off everyday that leads ppl to start the ubisoft shit?

You know the fact that so many people are making Ubisoft comparisons including previewers who have played the game does say something about the game or perhaps just the way it has been presented thus far. Sure, the game isn't exactly like Far Cry beat for beat but putting Primal and Horizon next to each other you can see similarities in the DNA. I don't think there is secret cabal trying to ruin the outlook of the game.

Crafting was a big part of Primal and it seems very similar to the Horizon crafting system. In both games you can craft arrows on the fly and upgrade your equipment from all the material you have collected.

Witcher 3's crafting system is not really the same. In W3 you only craft an item once after that every time you meditate the game autofills all the potions and bombs you have used by expending the "alcohol" from your inventory. You don't constantly have to collect individual crafting components and craft every single item you have used up. Not at all similar to the Horizon crafting system.

Horizon is as much of a Far Cry clone as Shadow Warrior is a Doom clone. Some people simply want to be as reductive as possible.

Yep, drives me crazy, it looks nothing like far cry. That and the "Concern" about story. Some of that is relevant sure, but a lot of it is people looking for anything to downplay it because it's an exclusive.

Exactly, this game looks nothing like car cry other then being open world.

Speely

Banned
I have a feeling that this game is going to be Guerilla Games' magnum opus. It's really cool to see such a talented studio going for it like this. I am lukewarm on AAA games these days, but Horizon looks full of love, creativity, and ambition.

You know the fact that so many people are making Ubisoft comparisons including previewers who have played the game does say something about the game or perhaps just the way it has been presented thus far. Sure, the game isn't exactly like Far Cry beat for beat but putting Primal and Horizon next to each other you can see similarities in the DNA. I don't think there is secret cabal trying to ruin the outlook of the game.

Crafting was a big part of Primal and it seems very similar to the Horizon crafting system. In both games you can craft arrows on the fly and upgrade your equipment from all the material you have collected.

Witcher 3's crafting system is not really the same. In W3 you only craft an item once after that every time you meditate the game autofills all the potions and bombs you have used by expending the "alcohol" from your inventory. You don't constantly have to collect individual crafting components and craft every single item you have used up. Not at all similar to the Horizon crafting system.

Having played Horizon (at PSX) it doesn't play like Far Cry. I think previewers are being as reductive as possible to try to draw a similarity to another game so that users can understand what they are getting. The truth is the game feels more like a combo of skyrim (hud) witcher (quest design) tomb raider (mobility/ controls) and far cry primal (aesthetically and its crafting system). Saying it's all those things is harder for lay people to understand so they just choose one. I question if people have ever played the far cry series when they draw the comparison though.

viHuGi

Banned
We don't know the exact time, but shinobi said that the plan is for them to go live "a good amount of time before launch". So, maybe some time in the middle of the month.

That's really early damn it's becoming a norm on Sony I see.

Where did Shinobi said that?

Wollan

Hopefully review copies are already sent out and a couple of weeks ahead of embargo so we can get well thought out opinions.
Game looks crazy beautiful and the mechanics seem really polished.

Loudninja

Hello Loudninja you are awesome btw

Thank you!

Thanks! I'm sorry to hear that! Well we are here now to experience this game!

I never even knew Far Cry Primal existed until this game! Did it sell well? I see it mentioned when this game is concerned but honestly I haven't heard or seen anything about it. Maybe if it's cheap I can play it.
Why thank you! :)

About the length I as always will depend on what you do seems to be a ton of side stuff in this game.

Tigress

Good cause at is one thing I disliked about witcher. Part of crafting to me is the finding of materials as a goal to get me to explore. I like collecting ingredients and being excited to see something rare that will let me make more of something useful. Witcher made it so once I found it once at was all I needed so even if it was rare I only needed to find it once. Crafting was boring in witcher imho.

Rokal

Why? 2 and 3 are great, 2 especially, a very good game despite its flaws due to its setting, tone, and approach to the genre

Farcry 2 is genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played. I couldn't believe how boring the open world felt. I wouldn't say I enjoy most open world games, but my memories of Farcry 2 are that of constantly repeating unsatisfying combat over the same open world transportation routes. I'd clear an area only to return to it 4 minutes later and repeat the exact same awful combat scenario.

The comparisons to Farcry on this thread are seriously making me worry about my preorder of Horizon.

Top Bottom