• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

Muninn

Banned
Same.

And the feels are kinda starting to kick in with this story. I didn't expect this level of quality.

On my pro there doesn't seem to be any frame drops or screen tears either. Just a locked smooth experience.

I disagree. You could see what they were building up into. KZ was a game on a TIGHT time schedule, but you could see where they were going if they had the proper time and manpower to get it done.

Ubi games don't hold my attention long. Not since AC2. I was worried the same would happen here.

This game has my attention. It's got collectible resources and enemies strewn throughout the environment, but it doesn't feel bloated with pointless collectibles and objectives (so far).

The main story is engaging enough to keep me wanting to know more. The main objectives anchor the open world. The interactions with the environment have a practical purpose just like in TLOU and RDR. You need to confront enemies and harvest resources to get better gear, weapons, and items, which are extremely beneficial to defeating more advanced foes.
I like that sound of that feedback loop.

Subnautica, which is my favorite game in the survive/craft/explore genre, has a similarly tight cycle: where you need to explore deeper so you can build new gear to explore even deeper and build better equipment, because the world was so engrossing and unique. Nothing feels extraneous, everything serves the purpose of exploring the alien ocean

AudioEppa

Im into games like Uncharted..is Nioh kind of like that? Ive read that its really really hard is that true?

Fam. No it is not. Looking at some videos will be able to tell you that. If you like games like Uncharted (4 is the goat!) I would just do some Google searching of similar styles.

Ubi games don't hold my attention long. Not since AC2. I was worried the same would happen here.

This game has my attention. It's got collectible resources and enemies strewn throughout the environment, but it doesn't feel bloated with pointless collectibles and objectives (so far).

The main story is engaging enough to keep me wanting to know more. The main objectives anchor the open world. The interactions with the environment have a practical purpose just like in TLOU and RDR. You need to confront enemies and harvest resources to get better gear, weapons, and items, which are extremely beneficial to defeating more advanced foes.

Thank you so much for the impressions. Real dumb but serious question. Does the game feel like an RPG?

Also, are you able to enter homes when you are in villages?

The Lamp

Thank you so much for the impressions. Real dumb but serious question. Does the game feel like an RPG?

Also, are you able to enter homes when you are in villages?

Yep it definitely does. You gain levels from XP from combat which allow you to unlock skills. You scavenge natural resources (varying in rarity) to craft and buy/sell weapons, ammo, health, armor, and other items. You have main quests and side quests.

No I have not yet been able to choose to enter village buildings. Interactions take place outside buildings so far. So it's less like Pokémon or Zelda where you just barge into people's homes and businesses.

Memento

Oh my.

These impressions man... hype at full force.

Honestly I feel like there is no way this game ends up disappointing. There is not a single bad impression from the people that played it since its announcement. The glowing previews from the preview event cemented that.

This game is going to be special.

G-Bus

Banned
Wasn't expecting some of these impressions.

Didn't have a doubt about picking this up, albeit I was going with renting it for a week and move on.

Now I'm seriously considering pre-ordering.

gossi

Oh my.

These impressions man... hype at full force.

Honestly I feel like there is no way this game ends up disappointing. There is not a single bad impression from the people that played it since its announcement. The glowing previews from the preview event cemented that.

This game is going to be special.

No Man's Sky had similar impressions (and people who had it early here repeatedly saying it ran at 60fps, lol).

No way do I see this game hitting a 90. Especiallly with the baggage of it being a GG game and "some" people categorizing it as a "monster hunter" game.

I think it will be an 84 on MC.

gossi

No it didnt

It also has never had a preview event with journalists having the opportunity to play it for 4hours.

It had similar impressions on here. Previews for MNS were also all over here, and positive. That is why it went from hype to car crash in about a day.

I'm not saying this game will suck. The publisher is clearly happy as they have a very early embargo. I'll get it. But early impression threads on GAF are sometimes loaded.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
No way do I see this game hitting a 90. Especiallly with the baggage of it being a GG game and "some" people categorizing it as a "monster hunter" game.

I think it will be an 84 on MC.

You know there is a Guerrilla game that has a 91% metacritic right? One that had so much going against it, and was overshadowed before release by an impossible to achieve CGI trailer.

It had similar impressions on here. Previews for MNS were also all over here, and positive. That is why it went from hype to car crash in about a day.

I'm not saying this game will suck. The publisher is clearly happy as they have a very early embargo. I'll get it. But early impression threads on GAF are sometimes loaded.
We also have several games that have aligned with their impressions and then some (Bloodborne being the most notable one). It is a moot point. Just let the impressions speak for themselves until the reviews/game come out.

People sure like to pretend that Killzone 2 never existed, eh?
Nah, that doesn't count because people here don't like it.

gossi

We also have several games that have aligned with their impressions and then some (Bloodborne being the most notable one). It is a moot point. Just let the impressions speak for themselves until the reviews/game come out.

Nah, that doesn't count because people here don't like it.

I agree. Was just making the point that before we decide (again) the game will be amazing with 95 on Metacritic.. maybe let's see a few more impressions. I don't think anybody has near completed the game yet - the only claim was the 4chan guy, but everything else he said in his review isn't true.

Here's hoping.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
We've now come to the point where we no longer hope a game gets a high score because it's good but rather to cut down on people trolling threads we would otherwise enjoy. Be honest.

The Lamp

omg this story. Why and how is this so much better and more engrossing than I was expecting? I don't want to put the controller down.

It's very well-thought out so far. The voice acting has been really good so far. Everything just has a lot of care put into it. This is shaping up to be one of my favorite open world RPGs. I hope the game stays this good throughout.

I think if it stays this quality, people will be surprised. I've played about 5 hours and the game says I'm about 16% in. I haven't really been doing side quests. I only did 1.

DMONKUMA

The impressions seem great so far. Definitely looking forward to this towards the end of the month.

Also I see the Kat double team of Lotus and Spirit in here and of course they're right next to each other too lol.

Socivol

omg this story. Why and how is this so much better and more engrossing than I was expecting? I don't want to put the controller down.

It's very well-thought out so far. The voice acting has been really good so far. Everything just has a lot of care put into it. This is shaping up to be one of my favorite open world RPGs. I hope the game stays this good throughout.

I think if it stays this quality, people will be surprised. I've played about 5 hours and the game says I'm about 16% in. I haven't really been doing side quests. I only did 1.

Spoil us with details in the spoiler thread!

LotusHD

Banned
The impressions seem great so far. Definitely looking forward to this towards the end of the month.

Also I see the Kat double team of Lotus and Spirit in here and of course they're right mext to each other too lol.

But the important question is... whose Kat avatar is better?

Also I see the Kat double team of Lotus and Spirit in here and of course they're right mext to each other too lol.
Kat sucks lotus and drifting change ya avatars

I suck at gr2 screw u gaf for peer pressuring me into buying it lol

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.

If the 25 hours 54% was true, it's not proportional.
Maybe it only count main story?

leng jai

Sound design/mixing?

My least expectation for this game is for it to lay a solid foundation for a possible franchise, but it seems to be doing more than that. As if I can't get even more hyped for this game. That's it, I'm pre-ordering!

The Lamp

If the 25 hours 54% was true, it's not proportional.
Maybe it only count main story?

The hour estimate is really rough because I've been playing in bursts all afternoon inbetween meals and such so we will see where the final percentage lies when I beat it.

Sound design/mixing?

The sound and music is really great. Doesn't disappoint. I'm not an expert on the authenticity of weapon sounds or whatever, but everything has good sound design IMO and the soundtrack is great.

tmac456

5hrs in and glowing impressions. all i needed to see.

Watching your first 10 minute video already got me warmed up to aloy and curious what will happen. It pretty much elevated my worries of the story and characters being subpar.

Top Bottom