• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

RedAssedApe

Banned
30 hours is fine. You can beat most open world games in that amount of time if you're playing the story sprinkled with side quests. Not everyone is obsessed with collectahons and clearing the map. And in fact a lot of people hate that aspect of these games and would probably agree that it has caused open world fatigue for them.

bubumiao

Kind of depends on the person too. I want to have a long ass game to play. I might not ever get to all of the content, but I like that fact that it's available to me.

Look at howlongtobeat.com, you have "main story" and "main + extra". I don't look at completionist because I'm not exactly sure what that means (platinuming?)

I understand people have real world obligations, back logs, etc. but I like the idea of a ton of content from the get go. I'm not sure if some of you guys will just abandon the game after you complete the main story, that seems dumb to me, but different strokes for different folks. I don't look at games as race to the finish.

If the game is really sweet won't you want to continue playing? If you don't like the game's story/gameplay/etc. do you complete it just for the trophies?

I'm hoping it's long as fuck. I'm just scratching my head wondering why some of you would want a short RPG in the first place. It's an RPG after all.

30 hours is fine. You can beat most open world games in that amount of time if you're playing the story sprinkled with side quests. Not everyone is obsessed with collectahons and clearing the map. And in fact a lot of people hate that aspect of these games and would probably agree that it has caused open world fatigue for them.

Yes, but this is an RPG. By open world do you mean a non linear RPG? I would say GTA is an open world game, but it's not an RPG.

I'm sure even once the main story is completed there'll be more gameplay and stuff to do.

I want this game to be enormous for some reason. Just look at the fucking map, it's huge! Besides, if it really does take 25 hours to do 54% of whatever is available to do, then there should be a considerably longer amount of gameplay left for those of us that want to play this into April.

Skux

The RDR comparisons I can understand, especially with the emphasis on shooter combat rather than melee combat.

Damn. Imagine RDR with robot dinos...

vivekTO

I suppose context is everything. I play games for two main reasons: Narrative and exploration. Unfortunately only ONE game has ever fully satisfied me from the narrative perspective, and that game is TLOU. This leaves me with only exploration as the incentive for the majority of games, which is why I like complex levels, hidden locations or open world games. My satisfaction is ruined if I already know what's around the corner, removing the biggest incentive for me to continue exploring.

You are clearly different but I still find it difficult to understand why people would want to know so much before hand. Yes, you may hear a few spoilers here and there but isn't it better to at least keep the exploration at arms length? You're already seeking out the information because you fear it's going to be spoilt beforehand anyway. Isn't it slightly self defeating to actively seek those spoilers when there's a chance, no matter how small, that there may be many narrative beats or locations that were not spoilt?

I understand what you are saying , But horizon , for me , is an exception and not a norm. I usually don't do this with other games and threads, but from the very first video, this game is on my radar.
And Now There is no turning Back... I can't stop.

Fredrik

I don't really put much stock in early impressions but fuck me if the posts in OP aren't getting me hyped.
Yup I thought Switch would swallow everything for me this period but I might even have to pause Zelda occasionally to play this! Everything sounds spot on right now!
Question is, do I play it on my jet-engine PS4 or jump in on a PS4 Pro? hmm

SomTervo

Rise of Tomb Raider is the closest thing so far. Lots of running around gathering stuff and shooting arrows.

I guess this would be ROTR with Witcher 3 open world and missions.

This doesn't actually sound appealing to me. I've had my fill of reboot-Tomb-Raiding with TR2013 and RotTR

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I understand what you are saying , But horizon , for me , is an exception and not a norm. I usually don't do this with other games and threads, but from the very first video, this game is on my radar.
And Now There is no turning Back... I can't stop.

Fair enough. I still think you're a lunatic! :)

... although I keep peeking too.

Sjefen

Some games like Witcher and Skyrim I wanted their to be no end, but games like mad max, Far cry 4 couldnt end fast enough. I hope Horizon is a Witcher/Skyrim rip off

I think for me, at the 50h mark, I wanna just finish most open world RPG's. Even TW3. I thought about a game where this was different, and I think Dark Souls is my answer, which I finished at 80h back then.

Which makes it clear, that to me, a game needs to be fun in every encounter and also engaging - a well written story and characters are just not enough (TW3). And yes, I love TW3.

Zojirushi

There's kind of no point in talking about game length of an Open World game. I finished RDR in less than 20 hours, Far Cry 3 in 15, Witcher 3 in 40 or so. I'm sure there are people how spend hundreds of hours in each of those games doing side stuff and whatnot.

Betty

Banned
30-40h is more than enough. After 40h every game (even W3) becomes annoying.

Witcher 3 took about 70 hours for me until I just wanted to focus on main quests.

Yakuza 0 at the moment is up to 60 hours and I'm still in love with it.

Mileage varies I guess.

NHale

RDR takes around 20 hours to finish and most people loved the game and are excited for the sequel. Even then the game imho had a little padding in the middle, and would have been even better without it.

Just because a game is open world it doesn't mean it has to take 50 hours to finish. Give me a lean interesting 15 hours story instead of 30 hours filled with padding and uneven content quality.

zkorejo

It depends on how much you love the game. I completed TW3 main story at atleast 80 hours IIRC. Then I completed all of the sidequests (except card collection only because I missed a few so couldnt complete that). Then I completed both expansions + all sidemissions. And I would still buy more TW3 expansion if CDPR were going to make it.

Then there are games like FO4, Skyrim, DA:I where you want to end them at 30-40 hours and move on.

The God

RDR takes around 20 hours to finish and most people loved the game and are excited for the sequel. Even then the game imho had a little padding in the middle, and would have been even better without it.

Just because a game is open world it doesn't mean it has to take 50 hours to finish. Give me a lean interesting 15 hours story instead of 30 hours filled with padding and uneven content quality.

Horizon is supposed to be an RPG though. I think general expectations are that it's a little on the longer side. Personally I hope it is.

CrayToes

I spent like 130h with TW3's base game and loved every second of it. However, I do generally prefer shorter games these days so 20-30h for Horizon would be perfect for me.

I have the time to play games, but quite simply a few hours a week is probably my limit. I really hate games that overstay their welcome, Horizon is a game I've wanted to play for a long time but if it takes 40+ hours to complete the main game, fuck it.

Frillen

Yeah, 30 - 40 hours is more than enough for me. Especially when Zelda, Ghost Recon and Mass Effect is coming out as well.

Not that I think Horizon isn't going to be a great game, but quite a few early impressions threads consists of impressions from over ecstatic fans, which results in to positive only impressions. This happened with The Order 1886 on this very board. So I'll wait for impressions closer to launch.

M.D

80% of The Witcher 3 playtime is trying to control Roach as he stops moving for no apparent reason, so all in all both games might end up having the same actual playtime :p

bubumiao

There's kind of no point in talking about game length of an Open World game. I finished RDR in less than 20 hours, Far Cry 3 in 15, Witcher 3 in 40 or so. I'm sure there are people how spend hundreds of hours in each of those games doing side stuff and whatnot.

This is what I was trying to say with my earlier post.

spekkeh

Banned
But that's just your opinion..

The fact that these long open world RPGs are still selling millions of copy proves that a lot of people like them.
But that's just their opinion. Which is less relevant than my opinion. I agree with that guy. Witcher 3 became hella annoying for dragging a bare bones plot out endlessly.

I'm glad that the story is shaping up well. I know that the voice actress has range, she was Chloe in LiS, but the writing/direction needed to be there. I'm glad that's it's looking good. The gameplay always looked exceptional, and wasn't a worry.

On topic, if the story and/or gameplay are good(both is better) , length doesn't matter to me, because I'll replay it multiple times.

Yall arguing if the supposed duration of a game you havent played a second of it is enough or not is weird...

not to mention it's weird to try and sum an open world game up in a single amount of hours. the play time will depend of how much stuff you want to actually complete.

Top Bottom