• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hostage situation in France (potenially terrorism related)

Mohonky

A gunman claiming allegiance to the Islamic State group fired shots and took hostages at a supermarket in southwestern France on Friday, a local prosecutor said.

Security forces were responding to two separate incidents, one at a supermarket in the town of Trebes and the second, a 15-minute drive away, in the town of Carcassonne where a policeman was shot.
It was unclear if the two incidents were linked. In Trebes, the man "entered the Super U supermarket at around 11.15 am and shots were heard," a security source told AFP on condition of anonymity.
The gunman claimed allegiance to the Islamic State group, the local prosecutor's office said.
Local authorities tweeted that the area was off-limits to the public.
If the link to Islamic State is confirmed, the attack would be the first major incident since the election of centrist President Emmanuel Macron in May last year.
The shootings come with France still on high alert after a string of jihadist attacks since 2015, starting in January that year with the assault on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo that left 12 people dead.
France also suffered major attacks in Paris in November 2015 when IS jihadists killed 130 people at bars, restaurants, the Bataclan concert venue and the national stadium.
In July 2016, in another attack claimed by IS, a man drove a truck through revellers celebrating Bastille Day, killing 84 people.
A state of emergency put in place just after the Paris attacks was finally lifted in October last year, but soldiers continue to patrol major tourist sites and transport hubs under an anti-terror mission.

Doesn't sound like this will be as bad as previous incidents and it could potentially just be some looney on a robbery gone wrong, hopefully the later and this doesn't escalate

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah, according to the news, the shooter has pledged allegiance to ISIS and has already killed 1-2 people. Terrorism.

Last edited:

Relativ9

I'm guessing he's probably more of a fan of ISIS than someone involved in the organization who's been coached. Seems like a strange target to chose, not exactly densely populated or high profile.

Mohonky

I'm guessing he's probably more of a fan of ISIS than someone involved in the organization who's been coached. Seems like a strange target to chose, not exactly densely populated or high profile.

Yeh I honestly dont quite see this as a terror incident at this point.

We had a situation here in Australia where an Iranian guy held a group hostage in a chocolate cafe. He claimed IS affiliation but it was a load of shit, he had already been involved in some investigation into something else and he just went off his rocker.

This kind of seems similar; no organisation, the targeting doesnt make any sense. He can claim IS all day but theres little else to suggest thats what this actually is.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I don’t understand. Does someone have to have fought on the frontlines of Syria/Afghanistan/Iraq for something to be terrorism?

Someone shooting innocent people in the name of ISIS is terrorism in my book.

terrorism
ˈtɛrərɪzəm/Submit
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
If he was your average IS terrorist, he would've already killed all his hostages, no? What is he trying to pull here?
No? What a pointless question. What does this even mean? What is “your average ISIS terrorist”? Do they have a hostage killing quota?

EDIT: Sorry, that came across a bit harsh. It’s late and I’m tired. I just don’t understand why you are saying they would have killed everyone, like it is a written rule or something.

Last edited:

Mohonky

I don’t understand. Does someone have to have fought on the frontlines of Syria/Afghanistan/Iraq for something to be terrorism?

Someone shooting innocent people in the name of ISIS is terrorism in my book.

The point is he is claiming alliance with IS, same as the guy in Australia despite the fact the guy in Australia was a Shiite Muslim from Iran (in the eyes of an ISIS supporter, a heretic) and his actual motivation had nothing to do with them but he had a laundry list of other shit going on.

The guy could be doing this having been inspired by IS which would make this terrorism but apart from his claim right now, norhing else about this really fits the profile.

Dunki

If he was your average IS terrorist, he would've already killed all his hostages, no? What is he trying to pull here?
No he would not. The people in France at the club were also not killed on the spot. The longer they hold out maybe with some death people between the longer it stays in the news and is useful to the IS

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The point is he is claiming alliance with IS, same as the guy in Australia despite the fact the guy in Australia was a Shiite Muslim from Iran (in the eyes of an ISIS supporter, a heretic) and his actual motivation had nothing to do with them but he had a laundry list of other shit going on.

The guy could be doing this having been inspired by IS which would make this terrorism but apart from his claim right now, norhing else about this really fits the profile.
I get what you are saying, but terrorism literally is hurting and scaring innocent people in the name of an ideology.

I don’t give two shits what views the person holds, what level of crazy they are or where they come from.

It is simply, terrorism.

No? What a pointless question. What does this even mean? What is “your average ISIS terrorist”? Do they have a hostage killing quota?

EDIT: Sorry, that came across a bit harsh. It’s late and I’m tired. I just don’t understand why you are saying they would have killed everyone, like it is a written rule or something.
Well, taking hostages means you want to trade them for something, right? You want to use them to negotiate.
What is there for a terrorist to negotiate? IS terrorists usually just kill as many people as possible. Then they run, so they can kill some more later, or die trying, or even commit suicide. They don't usually barricade themselves in a building like that. It's as if he actually wants to get out of this alive, which most terrorists just don't seem to care about.

Anyway, I read that he wants one of the imprisoned terrorists from the attacks in Paris to be released. That seems like a bit of a weird thing to do.

zelo-ca

cZE4lVm.png

It's not like there have been a rise in terrorism when they opened their borders to the middle east? *thinking emoji*

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Well, taking hostages means you want to trade them for something, right? You want to use them to negotiate.
What is there for a terrorist to negotiate? IS terrorists usually just kill as many people as possible. Then they run, so they can kill some more later, or die trying, or even commit suicide. They don't usually barricade themselves in a building like that. It's as if he actually wants to get out of this alive, which most terrorists just don't seem to care about.

Anyway, I read that he wants one of the imprisoned terrorists from the attacks in Paris to be released. That seems like a bit of a weird thing to do.
They are weak-minded, gullible idiots. Trying to decipher any rational meaning or structure to their actions is pointless.

JDB

Banned
It's not like there have been a rise in terrorism when they opened their borders to the middle east? *thinking emoji*
The rise in terrorist attacks is about in line with the rise of ISIS in the middle east. From what I remember most attacks also weren't committed by any refugees, but rather people already living in Europe. Not a 100% sure on that, though.
This is some low effort garbage.

Dunki

The rise in terrorist attacks is about in line with the rise of ISIS in the middle east. From what I remember most attacks also weren't committed by any refugees, but rather people already living in Europe. Not a 100% sure on that, though.

This is some low effort garbage.
that is correct. Most are from people already in these countries and that makes it so dangerous to run mosques wile financed by countries lika Saudi Arabia. Iran or turkey. We need to abolish all of these and establish new ones wich personal trained in Europe under European standards. Otherwise you will never beat them.

Alx

Heads up to the policeman who traded place with a hostage and got shot, he died in the night. True hero.

Top Bottom