• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot chocolate/cocoa with milk or water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to prefer hot chocolate with milk, but eventually noticed my stomach would churn every time (eventually, after far too long, I realized I had a lactose intolerance like many in my family). I started using water instead. At first it didn't taste as good, but I got very used to it (quite quickly, honestly). Now, whenever I (rarely) have hot chocolate with milk it tastes too rich. How about you?

Edit- And yes, I did try it with Lactaid milk, but I became so used to water by that point.

Edit 2- Ever since we got a Keurig machine, that's the only way I've made my hot chocolate. I don't use traditional powder anymore.

Also, when I used to make hot chocolate with milk, I microwaved it. Perhaps that could contribute to my shifted preference. I'm sure it'd be nicer if the milk was heated on the stove. I really liked McDonald's hot chocolate and I'm pretty sure that has milk.

I NEVER had it with water and I don't intend to.

This. The worst is when you're freezing and out, you go to a restaurant and it is water mixed with Swiss Miss. Fuck that.

Sometimes I go crazy and do a heavy cream or half and half blend with my milk. True luxury right there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Milk... im actually going wtf at the idea of water, sorry :/

shira

MicrowaveChocolateCaramelMugCake_finished2.jpg

fudge

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
whoever answers waters is a terrible human being

I can't even drink milk and I refuse to use water. Lactaid or even soy/almond is infinitely better.

jrcbandit

I do water and then fill the last 1/4th with milk. Pure milk makes a mess in the microwave if you aren't careful with the heating.

I should also note, ever since we got a Keurig machine, that's the only way I've made my hot chocolate. I don't use traditional powder anymore.

Also, when I used to make hot chocolate with milk, it was microwaved. Perhaps that could contribute to my shifted preference. I'm sure it'd be nicer if the milk was heated on the stove.

Erevador

Much better with milk.

Those lactose intolerant people here might want to try theirs with almond milk. I've had almond milk hot chocolate before and found it enjoyable.

Spyware

Making it on the stove is important. I would never microwave it.
I use lactose free milk, cocoa powder and sugar. Or actually, my SO does. He makes the best hot chocolate. <3
Very little milk at first, slowly mixing the ingredients together and adding the rest of the milk to prevent it from clumping. And then stirring a lot until it's done.

I hated having to use water when we went on school trips when I was little. Especially with the "chocolate powder" called O’boy that we have here (it only has 8% cocoa powder I just learned... no wonder it's crappy!)

Rootbeer

Banned
well, depends on the brand. some are creamy enough without milk, which is really convenient because boiling water can be done a lot easier than milk (less cleanup, can use a kettle, etc.) I'm not on board with the "milk or bust" line of though on this issue. I'll do either, usually just water because it's more convenient and still tastes great with the right variety.

Milk. I say that as someone who's lactose intolerant and doesn't really like milk all that much.

Also, always make it with chocolate, not cocoa powder. You need that cocoa butter in there to get the taste and body right.

I remember in Elementary school I had cocoa with hot water

the same day they gave us packets to take home and I immediately switched it to milk

DJ_Lae

I think it's better with milk, but I have to do it on the stove and whisk everything in and it's not something I'd just whip up.

If I'm a lazy motherfucker it's boiling water into packet hot chocolate. Sure, it's not as good, but it's not bad either.

Milk is better.

Water is easier and quicker (and acceptable). Also If I'm at work milk isn't really even an option (work supplies free coffee, tea, cocoa, powdered creamer, and sweeteners; both sugar and non-sugar).

Sometimes I put the cocoa in my cup and use coffee as my "water" with a touch of creamer.

Milk is best, but I can take either. My rugby club would sell hot chocolate and it was always water so I got used to the taste.

soco

Why type of hot cocoa are you using? Pure cocoa? Melted dark chocolate? A lot of the mixes have milk powder in them so adding water should still be a little creamy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom